is Invincible replacing Spawn as the face of Image Comics?

#1 Edited by Impervious (5603 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't seen that much of Spawn nowadays

#2 Edited by goonage (2085 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I'm not sure if Image can have a definitive "face" considering all the different comics they publish.

The reason why Spawn has probably disappeared is that he is much less well known and popular now, especially compared to the 90's.

#4 Posted by Impervious (5603 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree: not to mention the fact that his suit's "i" is really identical to the Image's "i" in design

#5 Edited by the_stegman (40364 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Invincible is the Superman of Image, while Spawn is its Batman. I suppose, Witchblade would be WW.

When I Google Image comics this is the first image (pun intended) to come up.

No Caption Provided

Spawn and Invincible front and center.

#6 Posted by Skit (5292 posts) - - Show Bio

Among comic fans I think he's slowly creeping his way there, with everybody else though not a chance until we get an invincible movie or something.

#7 Edited by darthfury78 (1511 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss Jim Lee's Wildstorm Comics as part of the Image family. Why on Earth did he sold his company to DC Comics as they have done nothing with the brand at all. Did he believed that his company would thrive under their watch? Just look at what Marvel did with Malibu Comics?

#8 Posted by Cap10nate (3629 posts) - - Show Bio

The book only sells 12 - 13k each issue though. I would think that when people picture Image comics that Walking Dead characters or Saga characters come to mind first. Maybe still Spawn even though his popularity has dwindled a great deal from his heyday.

#9 Posted by kidchipotle (15764 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say Image slowly is creating their own Trinity based off it's biggest characters. Like Steg said:

Spawn is their Batman

Invincible is their Superman

Witchblade is their Wonder Woman

They just need to make their Universe more cohesive, but then again that's what IMAGE UNITED was for before they ditched it.

Skybound is where it's at.

#10 Posted by darthfury78 (1511 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by kidchipotle (15764 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Black_Arrow (10291 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really see Image having a face. They publish many comics books that aren't nessesarly of superheroes.

#13 Posted by TheCannon (20263 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering I've never heard of him outside of this site, I don't think so.

#14 Posted by Cloudguy (2559 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm planning on getting a couple of his TPB are they worth reading?

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
#15 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (10331 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudguy said:

I'm planning on getting a couple of his TPB are they worth reading?

Yes! It's definitely one of the best superhero comics on the shelves right now, IMO.

#16 Posted by GraniteSoldier (12746 posts) - - Show Bio

When I think Image I still think Spawn, but I started reading him back when Image first got started up.

I think Spawn's popularity has dwindled because Simmons was replaced with Downing...I know that's why I left Spawn.

As for Invincible, I haven't read any of it. Outside of Spawn my favorite Image work had been Astounding Wolf-Man.

#17 Posted by darthfury78 (1511 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthfury78 said:

@arturocalakayvee: how about Jim Lee's Wildstorm imprint?

Well that's belonged to DC for some time now so...no.

The partners could buy Wildstorm brand from DC since it's not being used anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
#18 Edited by deactivated-097092725 (10555 posts) - - Show Bio

@goonage said:

Honestly, I'm not sure if Image can have a definitive "face" considering all the different comics they publish.

The reason why Spawn has probably disappeared is that he is much less well known and popular now, especially compared to the 90's.

This is my impression. They did just recently celebrate an anniversary with the character, although there wasn't as much fanfare as you'd expect in my opinion.

@the_stegman said:

I think Invincible is the Superman of Image, while Spawn is its Batman. I suppose, Witchblade would be WW.

@arturocalakayvee said:

I'd say Image slowly is creating their own Trinity based off it's biggest characters. Like Steg said:

Spawn is their Batman

Invincible is their Superman

Witchblade is their Wonder Woman

These are pretty good comparisons except maybe Witchblade not being as well respected as Wonder Woman. I don't think respect is the proper word, but saying popular doesn't feel right.