Avatar image for deactivated-5bdcbb8da1d15
deactivated-5bdcbb8da1d15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

So I just finished the 2011 Hunter X Hunter Anime, and I absolutely loved it. Eager to talk about the show online, I visited many blogs and websites discussing the show. However, much to my surprise, many fans of the series described the series as the best anime to ever exist, and even praised the manga as being the best ever written. The ladder I thought was preposterous, but the former forced me to reflect on the series. It really is well written, tackling mature themes though it's characters and symbolism. However, it does have flaws, so I am conflicted as to judging whether or not the series is overrated. So I took to Comicvine and have decided to post the question of Hunter X Hunter is overrated (Please leave a reason next to your answer; Don't just say a one word answer without an explanation).

Skrskr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I thought it was pretty amazing, an automatic top 10 kind of anime.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m stil watching it currently, my fav arc so far is when Kurapika faces the Spider gang. Honestly I prefer over many other anime’s simply because it doesn’t follow the usual Shōnen tropes as evidenced when Gon lost to Hisoka after only landing a punch on the latter instead of magically finding a way to win.

Xy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it overrated you ask? Did you mean underrated? It's incredible and no one I know personally has seen it. Such a shame.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gunmetalgrey

The only ones who really say that are those whose tastes revolve around shonen and not much else, among which it definitely is one of the better ones.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mimisalome

It is "overrated" if you put it on a category of the "best anime to ever exist".

But since only a very few people are saying that and the series ain't receiving that much acclaim or popularity in the media on the level of DBZ or Naruto or One Piece then you might say that it is actually one of those anime series that receives a relatively inadequate amount of attention.

Personally i think its one of the better shounen anime out there but not on the level of the best anime out there.

jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's wildly overrated. The anime has only 2 good arcs and the rest of it ranges from mediocre to ok.

The fact that so many sites have it so highly rated shows how overrated it is.

Gokluma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty good but doesn't deserve the crazy amount of praises and the hype in vs debates like saying meruem can just eat cell's bodypart to be on same level of dbz's characters or something with killua's speedblitz.

kroczilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

easily one of the best animes ever made. definitely top ten material in my books.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@mimisalome said:

It is "overrated" if you put it on a category of the "best anime to ever exist".

But since only a very few people are saying that and the series ain't receiving that much popularity in the media on the level of DBZ or Naruto or One Piece then you might say that it is actually one of those anime series that receives a relatively inadequate amount of attention.

Personally i think its one of the best shounen anime out there but not on the level of the best anime out there.

Edited a couple of things but this summarizes my thoughts.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By silent_bomber

I'd say its IMO considerably better than many manga's that are ten times more popular than it, so no

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Omega_kai

No, FMA Brotherhood is better though.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Na, its a damn good series, I personally liked the manga much more than the anime, mainly becasue of the animation, some fights didn't look as good as I expected them to be.

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Omega_kai
Rustlingjimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no. Easily in the top 10 anime of all time.

higherpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By higherpower  Moderator

Yes, but overrated doesn't mean bad. I would say there are certain people who rate the series too high and give it more credit than it deserves, but it's easy to see why, so I've never had a problem with it and it's personally one of my all-time favorites.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea because ninja guy never comes back

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

Yea because ninja guy never comes back

Hanzo? He was never a main character, also... he DOES come back... in current arc.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kgb725

@rukelnikovftw: My point exactly! Hanzo is clearly one of the strongest characters in the entire series from when he first became a hunter then mastered Nin and did absolutely nothing after we heard about it

Itachus17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustlingjimmy said:

no. Easily in the top 10 anime of all time.

Top 10? I think not. It's good, and it definitely deserves praise, but top 10 is a bit high in my opinion.

Hmmm i would never put it at the 1, but it's together with FMAB(and Gintama, but that not rly a Shonen in the end) the only Shonen in my top 10.

What would be your top 10 for anime?

Avatar image for deactivated-60e0c61aba21e
deactivated-60e0c61aba21e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for those who say it's overrated,have they even watched the chimera ant war arc?

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't call it overrated because it's honestly that good. Plus, for some reason, more casual anime fans tend to avoid it, so it's not even all that popular compared to series like Naruto, Dragon Ball, or One Piece.

I can't say it's the best anime ever, but it is up there, especially among shonen. You'll be hard pressed to find other shonen who can rival it in sheer quality. That, being said, there are a few seinens out there that give it a run for it's money.

I find that for most people, HxH is usually their first series that breaks away from the simple and formulaic tropes of shonen. With most series, you can predict the outcome of the plot fairly easily or know that any deaths in the series either don't hold (Dragonball) or rarely happens period (One Piece).

Togashi goes out of this way to deconstruct the shonen formula and puts an enormous amount of effort into his worldbuilding and consistency. To put it simply, he cares about the quality of his work. You will find numerous videos on Youtube or reddit posts that go into great detail in analyzing the psychology of his characters or the complexity of his worldbuilding. That's why both HxH and Yu Yu Hakusho, till this day, are both considered anime greats. The guy is one of the best writers in his field... when he's not on hiatus.

Adi_Frost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't say its the best anime of all time . But its definitely one of the best shonen out there .Easily in my top 3 shonen but its not in my top 3 or top 5 all time anime list .
And I would say its underrated rather than overrated as its not as popular as other series like fairy tail or one piece but I prefer it far more than those .

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad6141e8751d
deactivated-5ad6141e8751d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-6063b97152c69
deactivated-6063b97152c69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It always just depends on every individuals perspective of it. Theres some people more forgiving on certain parts as well as harsh on others. There might be enjoyment in many places that seem dull, whatever the case may be, there's really no objective or definitive answer to this considering the fact that the term overrated gets thrown around at every series that reaches high popularity level.

Hunter × Hunter is my favorite anime of all time. I love it for its story, characters and interactions, plot direction and progression, the writing, the battles, the glorious animation and music, theres so much more to love than dislike in the anime. And it was just such a blast to watch through and once it ends, you just have the feeling if wanting more. So to me, it's completely justified and warranted that Hunter × Hunter has as much popularity as it does. Its an amazing battle shonen and I highly reccomend it ti anyone who hasn't checked it out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gearsecond659: What did you like and dislike about the series?

I liked a lot about the series, from the animation to the soundtrack, but what really makes this show memorable is its amazing writing. The character development of Gon and Killua and their relationship development is some of the best I've seen in a Shounen Anime. I also liked the development of the villains such as the Chimera Ants and the Phantom Troupe as their development made them more relatable and intriguing as antagonist. In addition, the concept of Nen is very complex and is by far the best power system in Shounen history. But what really shines in this anime are the themes that it presents. From moral hypocrisy to human nature to western expansion, this anime touches on some very mature themes that have not really been addressed in other shows.

However, there are definitely flaws with the series. For one, Gon's development as a character, while inspired, is wildly inconsistent. Gon's transformation into a heartless murderer was very well written, but going into the Election Arc, these events are disregarded. Killing an enemy in cold blood should have a significant effect on Gon's psyche in order for this character arc to truly feel real and organic, but it just doesn't pay off. In addition, while Gon and Killua got development as characters, the same can't be said for Kurapika and Leorio. Kurapika just felt the standard revenge ridden anti hero of which we are all too familiar with and Togashi didn't do a good job differentiating Kurapika from other characters such as Sasuke. Leorio also didn't get much character development. Sure, he got his backstory, but that was pretty much to. For the majority of the story, he was sidelined and didn't really get to do anything. I also really hated the ending. Alluka felt like a plot device and I wish Togashi had foreshadowed this character so it didn't feel like a Deus Ex Machina. Furthermore, I didn't buy Killua prioritizing Alluka over Gon given what they had gone through over the course of the story. In all honesty, Alluka was simply a plot device to justify bth Gon being healed and Gon separating from Killua. And while having developed villians is a good thing, this creates a conflict of interest. If the villains are sympathetic to the point that I'm rooting for them, it undermines the heroes efforts to the point that they are antagonized. The perfect example being Gon vs Pitou in which Gon is portrayed as the villian, ruthlessly beating Pitou to a pulp. This makes Gon unlikable, especially when he presents his flawed moral code. But, since the stories ending relies on you rooting for Gon in order for moments like Gon being healed and Gon meeting his dad to payoff, these moments don't work. As for the fights, I think that they are kind of overrated. Sure, the whole tactical aspect of fights are pretty original, but Hunter X Hunter runs into the problem of having the characters be too much in their own heads. For me, that takes you out of the immersion of the fight because the actual fight ends up being ridden with dialogue scenes to scenes of characters talking to themselves, which in turn, results in very short lived scenes of actual combat. Netero vs Meruem was beautifully animated, but in the end, it was basically a repeat of Netero hitting around Meruem. This was done because Meruem was in his head most of the fight, trying to come up with the perfect angle to attack Netero, but from a visual perspective, it just looked repetitive. Finally, the writing is also inconsistent. The Hunter Exam arc was okay. The Heavens Arena and Zoldyck Family arc was okay. The Phantom Troupe Arc was really good. The Greed Island arc was crap (I have personal gripes with it so I understand that I am in the minority). The Chimera Ant arc was a masterpiece. The Election arc was sub par. In the end, there are only two well written arcs in the series so to say that the overall series is the best in Shounen is a little bit of a stretch.

Hunter x Hunter has really good writing, and is one of the best anime, but is not one of the best series, that is to say, if we include manga and compare all Shounen manga and anime to the Hunter x Hunter anime, I have to say that there are some series that are on Hunter X Hunter's level. One Piece. The big three is often underrated, said to be undeserving of the top sales, but there's a reason One Piece is the best selling manga. One Piece touches on themes such as the ambiguity of true justice, solitude, loneliness, and racism. One Piece presents all of these themes in very interesting ways, and I have to say that the writing of characters is vastly superior to Hunter X Hunter. Doflamingo is one of the best villains in all of Shounen, a villian that the world has broken now wants to break the world before another person can experience what he went through. An anarchist mentality. In terms of the main protagonist, each and every Straw Hat has their own backstory and develops as the series goes on. The best example is Nico Robin, a woman who comes to grips with her own depression after being outcasted from her hometown. One Piece is very well written, and for me, Hunter X Hunter doesn't surpass it when it comes to writing. I can concede that Hunter X Hunter is better at writing themes and power system, but in terms of world building and character development, One Piece takes the cake.

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if you don't like it.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

@rukelnikovftw: My point exactly! Hanzo is clearly one of the strongest characters in the entire series from when he first became a hunter then mastered Nin and did absolutely nothing after we heard about it

Well he has a very minor appeareance during the election arc, and another minor appeareance in the current arc, i think he will appear more in current arc because he is working for Kurapika who is the arcs protagonist for now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c60dc252a2af
deactivated-5c60dc252a2af

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5b466be4b5981
deactivated-5b466be4b5981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

On Topic: no, it's one of 4 anime shows that are good

Rustlingjimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itachus17: My top 10 would look something like this:

1. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
  2. Tokyo Ghoul
  3. The Monogatari Series
  4. Death Note
  5. Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
  6. One Piece
  7. Gintama
  8. 20th Century Boys
  9. Black Butler
  10. Nanatsu no Taizai

A few on this list are manga only (20th Century Boys, Magi, Black Butler), mainly because I've done more reading than watching lately.

damn Tokyo ghoul is way higher up in your list than it should IMO but nice list.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't call it overrated because it's honestly that good. Plus, for some reason, more casual anime fans tend to avoid it, so it's not even all that popular compared to series like Naruto, Dragon Ball, or One Piece.

I can't say it's the best anime ever, but it is up there, especially among shonen. You'll be hard pressed to find other shonen who can rival it in sheer quality. That, being said, there are a few seinens out there that give it a run for it's money.

I find that for most people, HxH is usually their first series that breaks away from the simple and formulaic tropes of shonen. With most series, you can predict the outcome of the plot fairly easily or know that any deaths in the series either don't hold (Dragonball) or rarely happens period (One Piece).

Togashi goes out of this way to deconstruct the shonen formula and puts an enormous amount of effort into his worldbuilding and consistency. To put it simply, he cares about the quality of his work. You will find numerous videos on Youtube or reddit posts that go into great detail in analyzing the psychology of his characters or the complexity of his worldbuilding. That's why both HxH and Yu Yu Hakusho, till this day, are both considered anime greats. The guy is one of the best writers in his field... when he's not on hiatus.

There are plenty of deaths in the series of One Piece. Moreover, Oda as stellar world building. There are well developed and intricate civilizations each with their own economic structure, culture, etc. As for complex characters, look no further than Usopp. Usopp was a liar all his life, lying to his peers and painting himself as a warrior of the sea. After witnessing a true warrior in Monkey D. Luffy, Usopp decided that he wanted to work hard and achieve his dreams. As a member of the Straw Hat Pirates, Usopp would be responsible for the Going Merry's wellbeing, repairing it after every adventure. So when the Straw Hats decided to leave the Merry behind, Usopp would't stand for it. The Merry represented the result of Usopp's hard work and sweat, and Usopp was offended that his friends would disregard this as though dismissing his hard work. To prove himself, Usopp challenged Luffy to a duel, hoping to assert his usefulness to the crew, but he lost. Usopp, while getting the Merry back, was never really the same after that experience. Usopp started to lose confidence in himself so he created the persona of Sogeking to help save Nico Robin. Sogeking was the manifestation of what Usopp wanted to be and Usopp would take this persona as a way to help the crew to validate his role on the team. By the end of the story, after saving Robin, Usopp decides that he is of use to the crew and is able to overcome his self confidence issues and rejoins the crew.

MorbusGrav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MorbusGrav

@gearsecond659:

Very interessting analysis, but i have 2 little nitpicks:

Kurapika just felt the standard revenge ridden anti hero of which we are all too familiar with and Togashi didn't do a good job differentiating Kurapika from other characters such as Sasuke.

It's the exact other way around, in fact is Naruto hevily inspired(some would say stealed from HXH) by HXH(and Kishimoto is a huge Togashi fan).

The best example is Nico Robin, a woman who comes to grips with her own depression after being outcasted from her hometown. One Piece is very well written

Robin(and Nami) is sadly not very good written in the New World, the both female characters aren't treated as worse as in Naruto but it's still pretty crappy(some others also lost personality and relevance, but it's especially obvious with them).

Oh and Greed Island was overall not too great, but Bisky(and a bit Razor) alone already saves it from being crap :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gearsecond659:

2 little nitpicks:

Kurapika just felt the standard revenge ridden anti hero of which we are all too familiar with and Togashi didn't do a good job differentiating Kurapika from other characters such as Sasuke.

It's the exact other way around, in fact is Naruto hevily inspired(some would say stealed from HXH) by HXH(and Kishimoto is a huge Togashi fan).

Fair point. However, I still think Kurapika falls a little flat because the archetype he fits into has been well established before his conception. Kurapika doesn't really have any originality to his character, other than wanting to kill the Troupe, so I think he is really bland from a writing perspective.

The best example is Nico Robin, a woman who comes to grips with her own depression after being outcasted from her hometown. One Piece is very well written

Robin(and Nami) is sadly not very good written in the New World, the both female characters aren't treated as worse as in Naruto but it's still pretty crappy(some others also lost personality and relevance, but it's especially obvious with them).

Oh and Greed Island was overall not too great, but Bisky alone already saves it from being crap :)

In the New World, Nami and Robin are written as they normally would. Character development doesn't mean characters are developing every single chapter or episode. So citing from the New World, a saga that doesn't really focus on either Robin or Nami is a little bit unfair considering all of the development they received pre time skip. I mean you don't see Gon or Killua developing EVERY SINGLE episode.

And Bisky felt a little forced to me. I didn't by the fact that she would just randomly decide to train a couple of kids out of the blue. If she wanted the money reward, so would have wanted to complete the game herself, not waste time training random kids.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By buttersdaman000

Yeah, it's overrated, but that doesn't mean it's not great. It's easily in the top 10 shonens ever, and arguably even top 5.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't say its the best anime of all time . But its definitely one of the best shonen out there .Easily in my top 3 shonen but its not in my top 3 or top 5 all time anime list .

And I would say its underrated rather than overrated as its not as popular as other series like fairy tail or one piece but I prefer it far more than those .

Popularity doesn't equate to whether or not a series is under or overrated. I mean Batman V Superman is popular so are you going to say it is over rated despite its very harsh reception from both a critical and audience perspective. By overrated. I am referring to a critical perspective. You can be popular and be considered bad and you can be unpopular and considered good. There's no correlation between popularity and critical reception. As such, saying that Hunter X Hunter is underrated simply because it isn't as popular as One Piece or Fairy Tail isn't really a good argument.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mowjack said:

for those who say it's overrated,have they even watched the chimera ant war arc?

I have and is beautifully well written. The animation and soundtrack is on point and the character development is spot on. However, the arc is not flawless. For starters, there isn't much development for the character of Youpi (And yes I have watched Aleczander's video on the topic, and no I don't buy Youpi all of a sudden going from a ruthless killer to a sympathetic person in a span of a single fight; Meruem's change felt real because of how long and drawn out it was; Youpi's just feels rushed). Speaking of Youpi, his fight with Shoot and Knuckle felt very repetitive, with the ladder running away before attacking Youpi and then running away again and attacking and so on and so forth. Moreover, the focus on Ikalgo was a mistake as the pacing felt very slow and his story would often interrupt more interesting plot points. In addition, I didn't buy into Ikalgo's character arc of not being able to kill another chimera ant because he was more than willing to kill Killua before they became friends.

And remember, the invasion of Meruem's palace isn't the only part of the Chimera Ant arc. I felt that the events leading up to this were very slowly paced and would introduce characters that wouldn't get any pay off in the future.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fantastic for a shonen, not the best of its kind, that'd be Zatch Bell, but it's still in the upper echelon.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#42 wildvine  Moderator

Anything you like online is overrated.

Rustlingjimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terraformars first season is badass. Attack on titan of course.

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatduderox said:

There are plenty of deaths in the series of One Piece. Moreover, Oda as stellar world building. There are well developed and intricate civilizations each with their own economic structure, culture, etc. As for complex characters, look no further than Usopp. Usopp was a liar all his life, lying to his peers and painting himself as a warrior of the sea. After witnessing a true warrior in Monkey D. Luffy, Usopp decided that he wanted to work hard and achieve his dreams. As a member of the Straw Hat Pirates, Usopp would be responsible for the Going Merry's wellbeing, repairing it after every adventure. So when the Straw Hats decided to leave the Merry behind, Usopp would't stand for it. The Merry represented the result of Usopp's hard work and sweat, and Usopp was offended that his friends would disregard this as though dismissing his hard work. To prove himself, Usopp challenged Luffy to a duel, hoping to assert his usefulness to the crew, but he lost. Usopp, while getting the Merry back, was never really the same after that experience. Usopp started to lose confidence in himself so he created the persona of Sogeking to help save Nico Robin. Sogeking was the manifestation of what Usopp wanted to be and Usopp would take this persona as a way to help the crew to validate his role on the team. By the end of the story, after saving Robin, Usopp decides that he is of use to the crew and is able to overcome his self confidence issues and rejoins the crew.

I agree 100% about Ussop. He, Robin, and Nami are some of the standouts in the character department. And I've always said that Oda's world building is second to none in all of manga/ anime. Like Togashi, Oda's passion for the quality of his series has never waned. Unlike Naruto and Bleach were you could tell just from reading that Kishimoto and Kubo had lost the drive that made their series initially great. While it's not my personal favorite, it absolutely deserves to be the highest selling manga of all time.

My biggest issue with characterization in One Piece is actually Luffy himself tbh. To put it bluntly, Luffy is a pretty static character. While he has developed a little, it's at a snails pace compared to the length of the series, but I will say that Luffy, as a character is the perfect protagonist for a series with the tone of One Piece. I've heard the arguments that Luffy isn't supposed to be this emo intellectual who overthinks things, and those people are absolutely right, Luffy isn't that type of character. But with all the trauma that Luffy has experienced their should be noticeable differences in his thought process. A good example of this is another Togashi creation; Yusuke Urameshi.

Yusuke began the series as a smart mouth delinquent with a idgaf attitude. And Yusuke ended the series as a smart mouth delinquent with a idgaf attitude. That's Yusuke's core personality and it never changed. What did change, however, was Yusuke's view of the world and humanity as a whole. Yusuke began the job with humans are good, demons are evil mindset. This changed as he met demons like Hiei and Kurama who would become two of his closest friends. His view on humanity shifted when he encountered humans like Tarukane and Sakyo who were just as cruel as most demons he had met, and when he had learned of the contents of the Chapter Black Tape; which was a recording of some of humanity's greatest atrocities throughout history.

By the end of the series, Yusuke was not only okay with a demon he encountered that he knew feasted on humans, but was even willing to catch and feed evil humans to his demon father to preserve his life. Him being okay with demons feeding on humans completely disgusted his predecessor; the first spirit detective, who from then on saw Yusuke as a demon and someone unfit for earth, because a human would never be okay with something so cruel. And despite all of this and how his whole mindset had done a near complete 180, Yusuke was still the smart mouth delinquent with the idgaf attitude. I feel that Togashi was capable adding that nuance of character development while keeping the personality the same better with Yusuke than what Oda did with Luffy, but that's just my opinion.

I also recalled you saying in a previous post how Gon was coming off as unlikable at times, but that was intentional. One of the main themes of the Chimera ant arc was the parallel between Gon and Meruem, but also how humans could be even more cruel as the Ants themselves. As meruem was finding his humanity throughout the arc, Gon was slowly losing his. Togashi wasn't trying to portray Gon as being morally right or likable during those moments. He was even willing to kill Kamugi to get to Pitou. If you think about it, Gon is actually pretty morally gray. Gon has no issue with most evil people, no matter their atrocities, that is until said atrocities effect him and those around him. Then he has a problem. He's very self centered that way.

And the beauty of Kurapika lies in that not only is he a character destined for tragedy, Kuropika is very self aware of this aspect about himself. He knows that whether or not he achieves his goal, he will never truly find peace. Even when he killed Uvogen, the narrative was trying to paint it as a moment of triumph. After accomplishing the deed, he had this cold despondent look in his eyes. You can see the tole it took on him psychologically. He also desires a life with his friends, but at the same time, sees them as a weakness, and knows that to accomplish his goal of killing the Spiders, he has to isolate himself from one of things he desires the most; companionship. Kurapika's biggest tragedy is his self awareness of the things he knows he will personally have to do accomplish his goals, and how those actions will likely contradict his morality.

Sorry, I know this is a long read. completely understandable if you don't read through it all. I also can't take credit for the Gon and kurapika analysis. There's a youtuber who went pretty in depth about their mental states. I just summarized his thoughts on the matter.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, its easily top 5 anime.

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not in my top 10.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gearsecond659 said:
@thatduderox said:

I agree 100% about Ussop. He, Robin, and Nami are some of the standouts in the character department. And I've always said that Oda's world building is second to none in all of manga/ anime. Like Togashi, Oda's passion for the quality of his series has never waned. Unlike Naruto and Bleach were you could tell just from reading that Kishimoto and Kubo had lost the drive that made their series initially great. While it's not my personal favorite, it absolutely deserves to be the highest selling manga of all time.

My biggest issue with characterization in One Piece is actually Luffy himself tbh. To put it bluntly, Luffy is a pretty static character. While he has developed a little, it's at a snails pace compared to the length of the series, but I will say that Luffy, as a character is the perfect protagonist for a series with the tone of One Piece. I've heard the arguments that Luffy isn't supposed to be this emo intellectual who overthinks things, and those people are absolutely right, Luffy isn't that type of character. But with all the trauma that Luffy has experienced their should be noticeable differences in his thought process. A good example of this is another Togashi creation; Yusuke Urameshi.

Yusuke began the series as a smart mouth delinquent with a idgaf attitude. And Yusuke ended the series as a smart mouth delinquent with a idgaf attitude. That's Yusuke's core personality and it never changed. What did change, however, was Yusuke's view of the world and humanity as a whole. Yusuke began the job with humans are good, demons are evil mindset. This changed as he met demons like Hiei and Kurama who would become two of his closest friends. His view on humanity shifted when he encountered humans like Tarukane and Sakyo who were just as cruel as most demons he had met, and when he had learned of the contents of the Chapter Black Tape; which was a recording of some of humanity's greatest atrocities throughout history.

By the end of the series, Yusuke was not only okay with a demon he encountered that he knew feasted on humans, but was even willing to catch and feed evil humans to his demon father to preserve his life. Him being okay with demons feeding on humans completely disgusted his predecessor; the first spirit detective, who from then on saw Yusuke as a demon and someone unfit for earth, because a human would never be okay with something so cruel. And despite all of this and how his whole mindset had done a near complete 180, Yusuke was still the smart mouth delinquent with the idgaf attitude. I feel that Togashi was capable adding that nuance of character development while keeping the personality the same better with Yusuke than what Oda did with Luffy, but that's just my opinion.

I also recalled you saying in a previous post how Gon was coming off as unlikable at times, but that was intentional. One of the main themes of the Chimera ant arc was the parallel between Gon and Meruem, but also how humans could be even more cruel as the Ants themselves. As meruem was finding his humanity throughout the arc, Gon was slowly losing his. Togashi wasn't trying to portray Gon as being morally right or likable during those moments. He was even willing to kill Kamugi to get to Pitou. If you think about it, Gon is actually pretty morally gray. Gon has no issue with most evil people, no matter their atrocities, that is until said atrocities effect him and those around him. Then he has a problem. He's very self centered that way.

And the beauty of Kurapika lies in that not only is he a character destined for tragedy, Kuropika is very self aware of this aspect about himself. He knows that whether or not he achieves his goal, he will never truly find peace. Even when he killed Uvogen, the narrative was trying to paint it as a moment of triumph. After accomplishing the deed, he had this cold despondent look in his eyes. You can see the tole it took on him psychologically. He also desires a life with his friends, but at the same time, sees them as a weakness, and knows that to accomplish his goal of killing the Spiders, he has to isolate himself from one of things he desires the most; companionship. Kurapika's biggest tragedy is his self awareness of the things he knows he will personally have to do accomplish his goals, and how those actions will likely contradict his morality.

Sorry, I know this is a long read. completely understandable if you don't read through it all. I also can't take credit for the Gon and kurapika analysis. There's a youtuber who went pretty in depth about their mental states. I just summarized his thoughts on the matter.

I know Luffy gets a lot of crap for being a bad character, but trust me when I say that Luffy is anything but. You just have to look very deep into the One Piece story. Even as a kid, Luffy experienced loneliness. Despite being trained by his grandfather 24/7, Luffy couldn't help feeling lonely. This is the reason that Luffy decided to bond with Ace when he first met him, even stating himself that he wanted to be Ace's friend because he didn't like the feeling of being lonely. Loneliness is a running theme when it comes to Luffy's character development because when we flash forward years later, Luffy has found friends in the form of his crew, the Straw Hat Pirates. However, this would all come to an end when his crew was sent away by Kuma. We even saw how distraught Luffy was, asking Kuma to kill him. He was lonely once again, and he didn't want to live through that experience again. Another example of this feeling was when Ace died. This mentally broke Luffy. Ace was the person who saved Luffy from loneliness, so when he died, it was like Luffy's world was destroyed. Luffy felt alone once again. But then, Luffy remembered that he still has his crew, and decided that he would do anything to protect them. So to say Luffy is a static character is not really fair to his character. Luffy has not stayed the same from when he first saw him to the current day. Luffy has had to deal with tough calls, such as Pride vs Friendship and determining if his role as captain was worth keeping at the expense of his friends. Luffy has become a better captain and an overall better person.

As for Gon, I have no doubt in my mind that it was intentional. Such a beautifully written character arc couldn't have been accidental. But the problem lies in the fact that Togashi almost forgets that he established such an unlikable character. Like I said before, the end of Hunter X Hunter completely relies on you caring about Gon, but after Togashi broke the faith we had in the character, we don't care if Gon survives or if Gon meets his dad because he is no longer a character we can root for. If Togashi had taken a different approach after antagonizing Gon, that'd be a different story, but the fact that Togashi still expects us to see a ruthless murderer as the lovable child he saw since the first episode is insane.

In regards to Kurapika, this is a case of concept vs execution. This message wasn't well conveyed in my opinion. Kurapika didn't come off as someone who wanted to live a life with his friends. He completely disregarded them, and isolated himself from them. The only reason he traded them for the life of Chrollo is because their lives were on the line. Kurapika doesn't want his friends to die, but he doesn't want to be with them either, and even after the arc, he ignores calls from Leorio and doesn't even show up to help Gon, and this is AFTER he found all of the Kurta Clan's Scarlet Eyes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad6141e8751d
deactivated-5ad6141e8751d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@alex_odinson: Yeah, it's a him. The author of the manga frequently makes some characters look effeminate.

higherpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50  Edited By higherpower  Moderator

@alex_odinson: Pitou is sexless. The male pronouns in that scan were referring to another character.