Is Eisenberg ruining the name of Luthor?

• 108 results
RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 86

Poll Is Eisenberg ruining the name of Luthor? (113 votes)

Yes 43%
No 57%

The more I see the trailers for Batman v Superman and listen to Eisenberg talk as he tries to portray Lex Luthor is just sad and hard to digest. Some deranged little twerp being Lex Luthor is really difficult to process. I can only hope Doomsday kills off Eisenberg's version of Luthor and a more mature clone of Luthor takes his spot. As always Billy Zane will be the best Lex Luthor if he should be given the chance.

• 
never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No, relax.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, he act like the Riddler, Lex Luthor is a serious, ruthless man, not a buffon. Zack Snyder ruined another DC movie, sadly.

KCMinato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea , sadly , I'll have to agree . If you didn't tell me that was Luthor , I would never have guessed it .

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have to watch the movie first.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

And this is coming from someone who's actually been reading superman comics for years. The only aspect of his character that differs from the usual Lex Luthor that we can derive from the trailer is his vivasiousness. That level of livelyhood is admittedly not something you see from Lex....unless you're counting Gene Hackmans version. But of course, I'm sure a lot of you wont, because you see what you want. Anyways, besides that, it's clear this Lex still keeps the traits that make Luthor Luthor. It's not Zacks fault that the majority of the haters here would only know Lex if he was bald and wearing a suit.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

You do know that there are two parts of a performance? The acting, AND the acting direction. Jesse Eisenberg is acting this way because the directors want him too - because they've created him to be this weird, awkward guy. You can't blame him if you don't like the direction.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Blackdog2009

No. As you were told, relax.

This is a younger, more mad scientist, psychotic Steve Jobs type Luthor that is clearly a master manipulator.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

You do know that there are two parts of a performance? The acting, AND the acting direction. Jesse Eisenberg is acting this way because the directors want him too - because they've created him to be this weird, awkward guy. You can't blame him if you don't like the direction.

It's not all about the direction it's about the way Eisenberg is portraying the character, you could have the best writers, director(s) etc... but if the actor is terrible at portraying that sort of character then the character will come off as terrible.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey said:

It's not all about the direction it's about the way Eisenberg is portraying the character, you could have the best writers, director(s) etc... but if the actor is terrible at portraying that sort of character then the character will come off as terrible.

What do you mean? The directors probably told him to act overly awkward and weird. That's the tone that they want for the character. There is a reason he's not this jumpy in The Social Network.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By those_eyes

@theamazingspidey: you are implying jesse has the acting ability to pull off a comic book lex if the directors would have aavised him in that direction?

Yae jesse even when trying to act like that cant pull it off. his bread and butter is acting weird and akward. So either way it wouldnt have worked.

y

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

very much so

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizensentry said:
@theamazingspidey said:

What do you mean? The directors probably told him to act overly awkward and weird. That's the tone that they want for the character. There is a reason he's not this jumpy in The Social Network.

I mean Jesse Eisenberg cannot portray Lex Luthor.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: you are implying jesse has the acting ability to pull off a comic book lex if the directors would have aavised him in that direction?

Yae jesse even when trying to act like that cant pull it off. his bread and butter is acting weird and akward. So either way it wouldnt have worked.

y

@theamazingspidey said:
@citizensentry said:
@theamazingspidey said:

Why are you guys turning this into a can Jesse play any Lex in general discussion?

This is about whether or not Jesse's "direction" for Lex in BvS is good or not.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@those_eyes said:

y

@citizensentry said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@citizensentry said:
@theamazingspidey said:

Why are you guys turning this into a can Jesse play any Lex in general discussion?

This is about whether or not Jesse's "direction" for Lex in BvS is good or not.

The Direction has looked good so far for Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck & Gal Gadot so take that as you will.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

His parts in the new trailer were my favourite parts.

Based on what I've seen it's already my favourite take on the character of any medium.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

His parts in the new trailer were my favourite parts.

Based on what I've seen it's already my favourite take on the character of any medium.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By midnightdragon18

Terrible casting choice, and this is coming from a dc fanboy.

Rumors Michael cera was busy, so they called jessie instead.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CitizenSentry

@midnightdragon18: No I think the casting director misheard the fans when whe chanted *HEISENBERG!*.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Spambot

@those_eyes: Think about how many actors are out there they had to choose from to play Lex. Its not like Eisenberg is some huge star and they got him for his name/box office appeal. They chose him because they wanted a Lex we are seeing in the trailers. That is what they wanted and why they chose Jessie. You are being delusional if you think its all on Jessie's acting. The actor can only do so much. They are given a script, the director's vision for the character and w/e direction they receive on the set. Chances are that Jessie is giving Snyder exactly what he wanted for the role from the time he was signed on to play it. You just don't like what Snyder is doing and are determined to pin it all on Jessie and I'm not even a fan of his movies or acting.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say ruining, but I haven't liked the portrayal so far.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man comic book fans will whine no matter what. It's like you don't even care to give the guy a chance to develop as a character. We've only seen snippets of his dialogue which was pretty good IMO. Even as the trailer progressed, you see more and more of the megalomaniac in his character.

jcass10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he's going to be awesome. But because he is not exactly what people are expecting, he's got an uphill battle.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eisenberg is one of the worst actors in Hollywood. I really don't understand how he keeps getting casted.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'll give the guy a chance before I judge him, same as the other actors in the movie.

Besides, watching the trailer, when he was called psychotic, he says "That's a three syllable word for any thought too big for little minds to understand." and even I had to go "Ok, that's Lex."

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: did you even read what i wrote? i know the directiom they wanted is different than the comics for lex. i said even if they went the comic bpok direction jessie doesmt have the type of acting to pull off comic book lex imo. Yes the directors play a part but this direction seemsore like jessie would have been the ddriddller. You cant just accept somone gietting the name of lex luther whe. theiy look and act like a character in the comics that isnt lex.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually enjoyed his scenes, He seemed to act vivacious and mockingly, like he knew something that the others didn't. He seem to like the Mad scientist part a lot (Sometimes The Lex luthor character is focused on that, sometimes his focus is being the greatest criminal on the world and in others he is a vicious business man).

DenzelMoton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no he is not

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he will be a good young Lex Luthor and I think that`s the direction that they are heading with his character but when he was cast I got to admit that it caught me off guard.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a problem with the actor himself, but that is so.. un-luthor-like.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me drop some dc fanboy logic onyou. That is lex luther. its just the dcu version of lex.

The same if i made batman a blonde haired nerd in a white batsuit insteadof a black one. Its still batman even though he doesnt look like or act like the comic book version which the character was based on.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good God, grow the hell up, people

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's wrong with him? He seems like a charismatic cocky intelligent individual. A little bit twitchy and crazy for alien death but yknow (that is how lex is)

After the heroes win and he gets incarcerated h'ell shave his head.

Watch Doomsday be like a larvae and morph into Bizzaro or something

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This version of lex is more younger and mad compared to when he is like 50 with a calm mind and level head , you guys are getting his JL unlimited version and smallville version confused with his actual version

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

They're playing him up to be the trickster/devil to the King/God, it could work but it's the sort of characterization that's more suitable for the likes of Joker and Loki. The execution has to be spectacular,he should be very malicious,hedonistic and petty.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By jumpstart55

Look Jesse Einsenberg Luthor sucks, plain and simple. I understand what their going for a new age villainous blogger/Hacker type. But what i don't understand is why If they wanted to go this route why not just make up a new character or slightly tweak a similar character instead of taking an already established character and completely change his characterization for the sake of the film? Thats just so stupid and asinine. People that say a suit and bald head are what make Luthor Luthor, dont undertstand the character at all. And the suit is just supposed to convey and represent his power and financial wealth.But Its all about his body language and mannerism. Luthor is suppose have a very powerful and painfully threatening/intimating presence. His corrupt businessman persona and genius intellect are a given but his attitude, imposing presence and sheer arrogance in the face of a guy as powerful as Supes is what makes him Lex. Thats what makes Luthor Luthor. Jesse Esisberg who is just the most cringe worthy jittery and awkward guy ever, has the onscreen presence of a wet towl. Even Though Gene Hackman wasnt like the traditional Lex luthor, the core elements remained intact. He had a very commanding and powerful onscreen pressnse you could see it in his body language and his wit was unmatched. Thats why you could buy him standing off with Zod. And Kevin Spacey was near perfect, his pensive eyes, Sharp Wit and Strong presence made him quite the onscreen Luthor. Of all the problems people have with Superman Returns Kevin Spacey isnt one of them. And Michael Rosenbaums luthor on the Smallvile was by far the best live action rendtion of Luthor we have gotten so far. And i know the movie hasnt come out yet, but i already know how Esseinberg is going to portry Luthor, and frankly i,m extremely disappointed and i know i wont like his portrayal. And dont use previous onscreen villains as a defense for Eissneberg Luthor being good .I knew from the little bit of Bane i say in the teaser that i was going to like Tom Hardy Bane, I knew from the little big i saw of him in trailer that i was going to like Heth Ledgers Joker. I knew from The X-men First Class Trailer the i was going to Like Michale Fassbenders Magneto . This is because every last one of the actors though differing considerably from the comics still kept the core essential of the characters and retained the charters threatening presence from the comic. And people say things like Jesse Eisneberg is still going to have his core essentials done pact because Essienbergs obooviusly going to be a genius in the movie, but thats only part of Luthors chrachter the other part is his commanding presence. I mean imagine if they of casted Michael Cerra as Magneto, thats pretty much what this is like. No better yet imagine if they casted Danny Devito as Darth Vader. Does he still have force powers and act evil? Sure. But is he 6 foot 7, physical imposing with a physical presence that would make Voldermort shiver? Nope. Vaders physical presence is just as much part of his character as is his ruthless nature. Just Like Luthors physical presence is an important part of his character just like his genius level intellect, and its why you dont cast a skinny nerdy looking dude to play his part. People fail to understand the true importance of body language, its how diplomats have been solving military conflicts all round the world for countless generations. And its what makes acting so entertaining. Body Language is like 90% of acting. And Jesse Esseinberg body language is like the complete opposite of how Luthors is suppose to be. Will Jesse Eisneberg retain the intellect of Luthor? Sure. But that's pretty much it. I mean i know i,m probably going to like the movie but i know Jesse Essienbergs Luthor is going to leave a terrible taste in my mouth. Even he does well in the role, i stand by my opinion.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 560

#39  Edited By Guru_Crack

The actor is portraying the character how he has been told to.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@princearagorn1 said:

Let me drop some dc fanboy logic onyou. That is lex luther. its just the dcu version of lex.

The same if i made batman a blonde haired nerd in a white batsuit insteadof a black one. Its still batman even though he doesnt look like or act like the comic book version which the character was based on.

so?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41 the_stegman  Moderator

Nope, he's portraying Silver Age Lex. He's fine.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

panther21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no. I think this version of Lex Luthor will be pretty interesting.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By jumpstart55

@those_eyes said:

@the_stegman: what is silver age lex like?

Nothing more then a mad scientist like many of the other other silver aged baddies, as opposed to being a corrupt businessman i.e the Luthor from the 1980s and on-wards after John Byrnes rebooted Superman in 1985 in his limited Series The Man of Steel. But based on the trailers Esisnebergs Luthors is going to be more like the modern version and nothing like the Silver Age. Zack Snyder was going for sort of a retro corrupt businessmen that looks more like the ceo of a teach company as opposed to a wall street stock broker.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#45 the_stegman  Moderator

@those_eyes: He was a mad scientist more than a cold businessman.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. He's a little dweeb.

darthdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once again I called that this whole movie would be a shit show months ago

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@moul: u wanna follow each other?

Imperfect_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's not the Luther I want to see, but it's not like he's going to ruin the film or anything.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers