Is Disney really good at making movies or just popular?

• 59 results
#1 Edited by GojiraKing1985 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney has many films I love. They now own franchises I love. However it seems like 90% of their films get insane praise or massive money or both. Meanwhile Waner Brothers films like DCEU and Monster Verse get spit on, little praise, or get alot of praise but never crack the money numbers most Disney made films do regardless.

If you look at movies like live action Disney remakes they all make insane money. Even the low point Dumbo being the exception. Star Wars outside Solo make tons of money. MCU makes all the money and gets all the praise for every entry past several years.

So is House of Mouse that damn good or is it a culture thing in America to trust and always see Disney films and praise it even though its mediocre? A inherent trust of the brand to spend money on their films over others?

Is it just that huge percent of non Disney films are pure trash?

Discuss.

#2 Posted by jashro44 (54536 posts) - - Show Bio

There strategy was amazing. If you look at individual parts of the MCU there are a lot of movies that could be better or are just "fun". They obviously have there epics though like Avengers (at the time of its release), Civil War, Infinity War and End Game. But they do benefit from owning strong brands (marvel, star wars, and even disney itself).

All though to be fair in the case of marvel they did build that one up. I don't think all of there movies are flawless but they have some good ones. I guess a combination of both?

#3 Posted by GojiraKing1985 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: no doubt they make good films, but I like charting with Dan on youtube and mostly its always Diseny (Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and soon Fox films) dominating the sales and RT scores. Its getting to be a damn near monopoly.

I have to ask are they that good or just popular.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
#4 Posted by deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79 (12104 posts) - - Show Bio

both

#5 Posted by jashro44 (54536 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: no doubt they make good films, but I like charting with Dan on youtube and mostly its always Diseny (Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and soon Fox films) dominating the sales and RT scores. Its getting to be a damn near monopoly.

I have to ask are they that good or just popular.

I would say its both. There popularity helps. I think a lot of people will see the next star wars no matter how they felt about the last jedi. SOme might boycott but I think 75% of people will see the next star wars movie. But at the same time you have movies like Frozen which became insanely popular because a lot of people liked it. It didn't rely on nostalgia because it was its own thing. Plus as I said they built up the MCU. Super heroes were always big but not like they are today because of the MCU.

#6 Posted by GojiraKing1985 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: frozen was garbage. Moana was awesome. Moana made more money too. Not sure why the twin bitches get a lame ass sequal....

#7 Posted by jashro44 (54536 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: frozen was garbage. Moana was awesome. Moana made more money too. Not sure why the twin bitches get a lame ass sequal....

I am not hip with the Disney princesses.

#8 Posted by KillBilly (2735 posts) - - Show Bio

They're really good at making popular movies and they're popular for that reason.

#9 Posted by TobyMaguire (1078 posts) - - Show Bio

@gojiraking1985: Because Disney and Marvel can be enjoyed by people all age and Gender. Meanwhile Godzilla audience is like 70% males and 30% moms and babysitter. People associate Disney with Family and kid-friendly movies unlike WB.

#10 Posted by Voorhees100 (611 posts) - - Show Bio

They make Four Quadrant films. Films that appeal to all demographics, something that many other Studios can't or don't do. Face it, Godzilla is mostly for niche Zilla fans or males, not alot of women and certainly not children are going to see it.

Disney aslo has alot of IPs that are popular, Marvel, Star Wars, Disney original fairytales, etc. They have a built in audience.

Lastly, Disney has aggressive marketing. They make sure word gets out and puts butts in seats.

#11 Posted by Lan_Fan (17183 posts) - - Show Bio

The best marketing strategy on the Industry, but the movies themselves are not always good.

#12 Posted by Fanboy7mode (293 posts) - - Show Bio

They know where they can earn money

#13 Posted by Lan_Fan (17183 posts) - - Show Bio

@gojiraking1985: Because Disney and Marvel can be enjoyed by people all age and Gender. Meanwhile Godzilla audience is like 70% males and 30% moms and babysitter. People associate Disney with Family and kid-friendly movies unlike WB.

That's a huge generalization. It is false, because there are teenage girls who liked Godzilla as well based on my personal experience.

#14 Posted by Straight-Fire (27420 posts) - - Show Bio

Just that good. People won't constantly flock to mediocre product over and over again. Obviously they're doing something right.

#15 Posted by TobyMaguire (1078 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by TobyMaguire (1078 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

The best marketing strategy on the Industry, but the movies themselves are not always good.

Well considering you love BvS, I will not consider you having similar taste as General Audience In movies

#17 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5271 posts) - - Show Bio

@gojiraking1985: uh, Holmes, Moana didn’t make more money

Unless around 640 million just became a bigger number than 1.2 billion

#18 Edited by Lan_Fan (17183 posts) - - Show Bio

@tobymaguire said:

@lan_fan: I am not generalising. It is based on Data collected and 76% of audience were male

the latest installment in the Godzilla series didn’t extend its appeal beyond its male-driven fanbase. Boys and men accounted for 76% of opening weekend moviegoers, with 59% of that group clocking in over the age of 25.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-box-office-fading-franchise-1203231032/#respond

What data? Must be from taken from a small sample, because I don't remember anyone taking notes about my gender and age when I bought the ticket. 70% male seems accurate, but I'm talking about how you said the rests were babysitters, and moms, implying that no teenage girls watched it when it's simply not true.

#19 Posted by TobyMaguire (1078 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by Lan_Fan (17183 posts) - - Show Bio

@tobymaguire: Nope, and I don't expect what Americans do portray how everything works outside of it.

Avatar image for major_hellstrom
#21 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18078 posts) - - Show Bio

People here are talking about how Disney maintained their wealth and grew it. Originally it was just ambitious and it paird off

#22 Posted by TobyMaguire (1078 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

@tobymaguire: Nope, and I don't expect what Americans do portray how everything works outside of it.

Let me guess you are from Indonesia! I am not going to argue with you but a movie made by American studio have to do well in America or do incredible numbers internationally which is not what Godzilla is doing.

#23 Edited by Lan_Fan (17183 posts) - - Show Bio

@tobymaguire: You did your research, but that reply has nothing to do with what I called you out upon.

#24 Edited by ThorofAsgard (619 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk a lot of people blame them for ruining Star Wars, which is the biggest thing in pop culture fiction so that’s kind of a big deal. They make good movies but they could be better especially the MCU. I’m a fan of the MCU but it has its flaws

#25 Edited by TobyMaguire (1078 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan: What did you call me upon? Okay there may be one Godzilla female teenage fan with those moms

I know Indonesia had incredible box office this year with Toxic Feminist movie Captain Marvel and Endgame breaking records there but it still not an important Market compared to America, China, South Korea for media to conduct Survey

#26 Posted by Project_Worm (4329 posts) - - Show Bio

@gojiraking1985: You don't become the most popular movie company without your fair share of good movies. Some movies are successful just because they're Disney movies, but that would be unsustainable, just look at the decline in the Cars franchise, people stopped caring when it became clear Pixar wasn't putting their best foot forward with those movies

#27 Posted by Kirkseven (3284 posts) - - Show Bio

B0th?

#28 Posted by Lan_Fan (17183 posts) - - Show Bio

What did you call me upon? Okay there may be one Godzilla female teenage fan with those moms

You were generalizing things, point proven.

I know Indonesia showed incredible box office this year with Toxic Feminist movie Captain Marvel and Endgame, but it still not an important Market compared to America, China, South Korea for media to conduct Survey

None of my business.

#29 Posted by jagernutt (17623 posts) - - Show Bio

They are just super rich.

Avatar image for finalkingthanos
#30 Posted by FinalKingThanos (2799 posts) - - Show Bio

They have some of the most classic cartoons of all time, a massive theme park and everyone knows Mickey Mouse.

Add to that buying over Staw Wars which is the most popular sci-fi or fantasy series ever.

And they have Marvel one of the big two juggernaut comic companies which is now a juggernaut movie series in its own right.

They just have tons to fall back on now.

#31 Posted by GojiraKing1985 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

@tobymaguire: does those numbers include asian theters demographic. I can tell you for facts asian kids love Godzilla for obvious reason most GZ films are aimed at children.....

#32 Posted by Richubs (6611 posts) - - Show Bio

They make good movies

#33 Edited by GojiraKing1985 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

@mike_fowler: strange. Those numbers are not what I remember. But yeah looks like Frozen did better opening weekend. Dont know why

I see where I screw up. I was thinking Incredibles 2 numbers that blew Frozen away. My mistake.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#35 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (17626 posts) - - Show Bio

I think their Pixar films range from great to amazing. Cars and Frozen aside. MCU is fairly consistent. Star Wars has declined under Disney.

#36 Edited by Richubs (6611 posts) - - Show Bio

@ready_4_madness:

The Force Awakens was pretty good and the Rogue One was amazing imo, like absolutely top notch.

Haven't seen The Last Jedi yet but maybe the last movie in the Skywalker saga might end up being great and that'd mean overall it had 3 good movies out of 4.

Unless you didn't like The Force Awakens then it'd be 2 on 4.

Unless you didn't like Rogue One either then it'd be pretty bad I guess.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#37 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (17626 posts) - - Show Bio

@richubs: I thought The Force Awakens is decent and I’ve tried to watch Rogue One like 5 times and couldn’t finish it. No exaggeration.

#38 Posted by Magian (152591 posts) - - Show Bio

They sure know how to properly promote a movie. Plus just the name "Disney" itself is such a big brand, it can draw people to projects which otherwise wouldn't have received that much attention.

#39 Posted by TobyMaguire (1078 posts) - - Show Bio

@magian said:

They sure know how to properly promote a movie. Plus just the name "Disney" itself is such a big brand, it can draw people to projects which otherwise wouldn't have received that much attention.

Nutcracker Dumbo, Wrinkle in Time, Tomorrowland, Lone ranger, John Carter disagrees.

#40 Posted by Wut (7261 posts) - - Show Bio

Both.

They've made enough good movies that they've built a reputation, a reputation good enough that if they slap Disney onto it, it is likely to sell well. Not always,of course, but its a reputation they've earned regardless.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#41 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17903 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by godzilla44 (7699 posts) - - Show Bio

They're popular because they're good at making movies.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#43 Posted by Richubs (6611 posts) - - Show Bio

@ready_4_madness:

Whoa.

I absolutely loved Rogue One and thought it was fantastic.

Loved all te characters too.

But I guess it was not for everyone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf823e3012e8
#44 Posted by deactivated-5cf823e3012e8 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

They have a formula and they follow it religiously

#45 Posted by JamesWayne (994 posts) - - Show Bio

@gojiraking1985: I thought both were great, but I did prefer moana more. But frozen for sure made more money. I think it’s the highest grossing world wide animated film. Domestic that record goes to incredible 2.

#46 Posted by Michaelbn (2920 posts) - - Show Bio

They were at making good movies/cartoons. Now? it's just a formula with strong brands and a bunch of filthy rich Jews who pay critics to become wealthier.

#47 Edited by KrleAvenger (26275 posts) - - Show Bio

Their Star Wars movies and their remake movies are absolute trash. Pathetically made insults is the least you can say about them. The only reason why they make so much money is because they have "Star Wars" and "whatever the fairy tale animated movie (Beauty and the Beast, Jungle Book...) name" in the title. So obviously people will watch them. But the quality of these movies is terrible. 2/10 on average. But they make money based solely on brand name and nothing else. The only reason why MCU is good is because it started without Disney, and after Disney took over, they didn't have as much of a creative control over it as Marvel Studious itself.

#48 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5271 posts) - - Show Bio

@krleavenger: I mean, if they made money just based on brand name, then why did Solo and Dumbo flop?

#49 Edited by KrleAvenger (26275 posts) - - Show Bio

@mike_fowler: There are multiple reasons as to why Solo flopped. One being the fact that it was not regular Star Wars movie but a side story, one nobody even wanted to see. People cared about Star Wars and not Solo's past. Second being the fact that people were unhappy with the trailer and the idea overall, and third is, a lot of fans lost interest after massive backlash that is the Last Jedi. Can't speak for Dumbo because I'm not familiar.

#50 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5271 posts) - - Show Bio

@krleavenger: could 2/3 of those reasons not be applied to Rogue One though?

And yeah, Dumbo was the live action remake before Aladdin, it flopped hard