Is Disney focusing too much on Vader?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

frozen  Moderator

Poll Is Disney focusing too much on Vader? (33 votes)

Yes, he is too over saturated 55%
No, it's fine if anything we need more 45%

Is Disney focusing too much on Vader?

Compared to Legends, it seems that Darth Vader is everywhere. From having his own solo series, to being a major player in other mainline SW series, he appears in about 4 or 5 different ongoing titles. On top of that, we have Vader novels, games, etc. Even appearances in TV series.

Many have welcomed this whereas others have criticised this as they feel other force users get neglected. What is your opinion?

No Caption Provided

• 
tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By tparks

Yes. Turning Star Wars into the MCU doesn't work. It's not just Vader that's the problem for me either.

I think that's why shows like Andor and season 1 of Mandalorian did work so well. They respected the established universe of Star Wars, while telling an original story, with mostly original characters. They didn't have to stand on the shoulders of George Lucas to sell it; people watched it because it was just good.

Inserting cameos and characters into the plot to get people to watch it, isn't nearly as interesting as just telling a good story.

The_Swaggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So far I’ve been okay with most of his appearances. Wasn’t a fan of how they wrote him in Kenobi.

I do think Disney is going to be in a pickle within the next few years or so. They can only milk so much content from the 19 year gap between ROTS and ANH before having to come up with more original stuff.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 frozen  Moderator

@the_swaggot:

The Vader series is set after ESB now and it isn't long before they reach ROTJ. Probably another year. I wonder what they will do with Vader after that.

CryoLancer47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, what are they supposed to focus on instead in the terrible and pointless Disney Canon?

The Prequels era? It would be like beating a dead horse at this point. And any side-stories in that area would be quiet meaningless after TCW, since we know how it all ends.

The OT? Doing so is meaningless thanks to the Sequels and how they ruined everything the characters worked for.

The Post-OT era? They're already doing that with Mando and the upcoming Ahsoka show. But it's overall quite meaningless as well thanks to the ST making everything done there for nothing.

The Sequels/Post-ST era? They're clearly not touching that with a 10ft pole. And to be honest, I don't blame them considering how boring, pointless, badly-written, and uninteresting that era and it's characters are.

Disney have essentially cucked themselves at this point by throwing away the good material (Legends) and ignoring it's characters, settings, and stories like it never existed, in favor of their poor imitations. And Vader is now clearly the only thing (Now along with Mando) that's keeping the brand alive and going.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 frozen  Moderator

@cryolancer47:

They should just do their own version of Old Republic, TBH. Canonize Revan, Nihilus, Malgus etc, let's see Jedi v Sith wars.

I'd much rather that than the boring High Republic era.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah probably. They focus too much on Skywalker era in general I think, when there’s potential for so much more

MaulSmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disney seriously needs to do a massive timejump into the future or the past and establish new characters and new everything while adding in the core star wars elements such as Jedi, Sith, Force, Sabers e.t.c., the verse is wide and grand and Disney pretty much has infinite resources within reason and star wars name grants financial security, all that is needed to make SW is willingness to take risks, creativity and a good writing team, which Disney seems to lack as of now.

A_FINE_EDITION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By A_FINE_EDITION

I feel it’s definitely become over saturated with Vader, but at the same time I’ve really enjoyed a lot of the comics and stories they’ve told. But at some point they’re just going to run out of timeline space to make content. The 3 years between ANH and ESB are already completely filled up, and it looks like the current series is filling up the year between ESB and ROTJ. There’s already dozens of Vader appearances during the post-ROTS era, so eventually there’s going to be a complete timeline of where he is at any given moment.

I love Vader, and I am glad he gets so much spotlight. But right now he’s in way too much stuff. He’s even getting another slew of stories with that “Black, White, & Red” miniseries coming out soon.

mr-yes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be fine if they didn’t screw him up so bad a lot of the time

Eredin12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Eredin12
@mr-yes said:

It would be fine if they didn’t screw him up so bad a lot of the time

Eh, it is not that bad. While true there are bad lines and instances, there are also good ones as well.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: They should instead make new characters, if they have to re-Canonize old EU characters that’s just showing lack of creativity and it’s belittling to both Canons. That’s just showing that the Current Canon can’t stand on its own 2 feet without regurgitating old characters. It makes it also seem like the EU is less important and just there to pluck things out of to get an audience when they seem to be in trouble and so they pull at nostalgia.

That said to your question, yeah it is kinda over saturating with Vader. Even moreso they haven’t really moved out of the GCW era timeline and it’s been what? Almost a decade since the overhaul.

I’m sure eventually at some point they’ll move onto other eras. They’ll have to return to the post-ST eventually.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as Disney focuses on "Skywalker Saga" that will be the case since Anakin/Vader is the main character of it. What Disney needs to do is a reimagined of Old Republic era.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14 krisbishop  Moderator

They don't really have a choice, tbh.

MangaComics69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MangaComics69
@krisbishop said:

They don't really have a choice, tbh.

Why tho?? Just Curious._.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

They should move forward and stop focusing so much on characters whose story is already complete.

Aqua1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aqua1
@cryolancer47 said:

Well, what are they supposed to focus on instead in the terrible and pointless Disney Canon?

Possibly take on a project with Galen Marek (Starkiller) story, there are many other ways to continue Star Wars. Maybe a General Grievous story? Maybe Darth Sidious in his young ages? How did he betray Plagueis?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By frozen  Moderator
@straight-fire said:

They should move forward and stop focusing so much on characters whose story is already complete.

Which characters should get focus then? Basically every PT and OT character has a complete story.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 frozen  Moderator
@aqua1 said:
@cryolancer47 said:

Possibly take on a project with Galen Marek (Starkiller) story, there are many other ways to continue Star Wars. Maybe a General Grievous story? Maybe Darth Sidious in his young ages? How did he betray Plagueis?

Canon SK would be interesting. Deserving of a thread of its own tbh.

MangaComics69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope they write it similiarly to EU does, in characters, Scaling, & Goated characters._.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21 krisbishop  Moderator

Why tho?? Just Curious._.

Disney has shown that they're rarely capable of making good original stories so they have to stick to milking Vader for profits.

Supreme101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Supreme101

They're focusing a lot on the most iconic and popular character in the Franchise??!?!?!?!?!!???

MangaComics69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MangaComics69

@krisbishop:

Disney has shown that they're rarely capable of making good original stories so they have to stick to milking Vader for profits.

Kinda sad tbh, and they really should get creative in the future so they don't lose their core fans/new gen fans, buut that depends on them i suppose...

Starting to think Reaperace Preferrs the EU versions of the characters tho cuz of that...

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ye I feel the same

CryoLancer47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:
@aqua1 said:
@cryolancer47 said:

Canon SK would be interesting. Deserving of a thread of its own tbh.

As interesting as that may be. I don't think the likes of Starkiller/Galen are possible anymore, due to the current timeline of events. He can't fit here without contradicting some things in the current canon.

As of now, Disney Canon is too packed and leaves very little room for such a character to exist, unlike in Legends.

And although a Grievous or a Young Sheev & Plagueis story can be quite refreshing. It also just ends up being rather pointless in the long run.

CryoLancer47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@cryolancer47:

They should just do their own version of Old Republic, TBH. Canonize Revan, Nihilus, Malgus etc, let's see Jedi v Sith wars.

I'd much rather that than the boring High Republic era.

Now this I could get behind.

Disney needs to take us faaar back in time before the existence of Yoda and any of the goons from the High Republic. Back to a time where Sith Vs Jedi conflicts happened once every few days.

I'd also love it if they would bother to adapt the Bane Trilogy.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: I meant they should make new characters in a time where guys like Luke and Vader don't exist or they're long gone.

I'm not completely against the idea of giving older characters more stories [I'm very hyped for the Ahsoka series], but I'd love it if they tried something in a different era.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 frozen  Moderator

@frozen: I meant they should make new characters in a time where guys like Luke and Vader don't exist or they're long gone.

I'm not completely against the idea of giving older characters more stories [I'm very hyped for the Ahsoka series], but I'd love it if they tried something in a different era.

I would prefer new characters.

Although I think Ahsoka is suffering from saturation too. Between her appearing in Tales of The Jedi, Mandalorian, BoBF and her own series it feels a little excessive. It's also a little odd to see her in the post ROTJ era but perhaps her series will be good. After how mid Obi Wan was my hopes aren't high though.

A_FINE_EDITION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: I’m a little concerned about Ahsoka too. Her taking up half of Tales of the Jedi was honestly kind of irritating. I liked episodes 1 and 5, but they felt unnecessary and could’ve been given to characters that deserve more spotlight. Episode 6 was just a worse retelling of the Ahsoka novel, with a cool added opening of her on Naboo. Otherwise pretty much everything in the book was done better. I really hope that if we do get a season 2 of Tales that they don’t dedicate half the episodes to any one character. I’d prefer a nice variety.

Avatar image for deactivated-644c7202b7524
deactivated-644c7202b7524

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes.

And even though they refuse to admit it, the simple fact that they don't do anything with Finn or Rey means the sequels aren't canon at this point. (I hate to agree with the toxic fans, but they are right)

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_swaggot: In a galaxy made up of 1000s of planets they could have endless content

The_Swaggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amonfire1776: I was meaning in terms of introducing new characters. Something Disney has struggled with in the past with SW

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By nassergrant19
@straight-fire said:

Ngl Ahsoka’s story is complete tbh. She should’ve died against Vader in Rebels but Filoni kept her alive through time travel bs. Ahsoka is currently pushing 50 years old in canon during the Mandalorian era. She‘s an old wise master and the only thing that’d be cool in her future is if she trained a new apprentice tbh.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nassergrant19: never said her story wasn't complete. I just don't mind seeing more Snips LMAO.

HELMAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vader is one of, if not the main icon of Star Wars, so it's fine if he appears a lot as long as he isn't constantly licking the Emperor's boots and getting clowned on by random characters, which is what happens in way too many of Vader's appearances. He's well on his way to becoming an actual jobber character.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for daddyprometheus
DaddyPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@straight-fire said:

Ngl Ahsoka’s story is complete tbh. She should’ve died against Vader in Rebels but Filoni kept her alive through time travel bs. Ahsoka is currently pushing 50 years old in canon during the Mandalorian era. She‘s an old wise master and the only thing that’d be cool in her future is if she trained a new apprentice tbh.

I agree, her character should have ended on Rebels, at this point it feels like Filoni is keeping her alive for no reason.

Giving her a padawan of her own could justify her continued existence.