• 63 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for _kingoflatveria
Posted by _KingofLatveria (3828 posts) 6 days, 12 hours ago

Poll: is DCEU Superman's Heat Vision Light speed (43 votes)

LoL wut??? 81%
Duh 19%
No Caption Provided

["Channels heat vision in the form of red light"]

Avatar image for hatsoffmelo
#1 Posted by HATSoffMELO (568 posts) - - Show Bio

yes

Avatar image for charan_
#2 Posted by Charan_ (972 posts) - - Show Bio

I seriously doubt it.

Avatar image for the_magister
#3 Posted by The_Magister (4091 posts) - - Show Bio

On paper, probably.

By feats, definitely not.

Avatar image for supermanforever
#4 Edited by Supermanforever (3390 posts) - - Show Bio

on papper and logic probably as they adapt comic and its not feat to say its not lightspeed its just specific power.

However on consistent showcase not lightspeed. Id say probably just a bit faster than superman was himself in the movie. By scaling probably hypersonic.

By scientific point of view, surely not lightspeed.

heat vision logically is more of a beam of extremely hot heat, which explains why its really destructive. A very hot beam of heat is extremely powerfull thing. So i take supermans heat vision more like a beam of heat rather than "light"

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#5 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (3009 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyborgs reactions are FTL confirmed

Avatar image for supermanforever
#6 Posted by Supermanforever (3390 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyborgs reactions are FTL confirmed

to be fair its not cyborg reacting, its his machine parts defense. Its not reaction feat really. Not saying the beam itself is lightspeed either.

Avatar image for amonfire1776
#7 Edited by Amonfire1776 (888 posts) - - Show Bio

It is plasma not light...

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#8 Posted by plotweapon16255 (1643 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Doomsday's heat vision reached space in a fraction of the second ,

so it could be as as fast as light.

Avatar image for ithemanwithoutfeari
#9 Posted by ITheManWithoutFearI (7213 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

Avatar image for thevivas
#10 Posted by TheVivas (16057 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#11 Posted by buttersdaman000 (20914 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided

Doomsday's heat vision reached space in a fraction of the second ,

so it could be as as fast as light.

If it was anywhere near as fast as light it would've reached space instantaneously

No HV is not light speed in the DCEU

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
#12 Posted by EarthsMightiest (2700 posts) - - Show Bio

Doubtful, if you could travel at the speed of light, you could go around the Earth 7.5 times in one second. None of the feats Supes exhibited with his heat vision in the movies seem even close to that.

https://www.space.com/15830-light-speed.html

Avatar image for chimeroid
#13 Posted by Chimeroid (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided

Doomsday's heat vision reached space in a fraction of the second ,

so it could be as as fast as light.

This is interesting, would love to have it quantified.

Avatar image for mazahs117
#14 Posted by MAZAHS117 (9967 posts) - - Show Bio

Um ...why is there an extreme close up of Bat-crotch in the OP?

Online
Avatar image for skrskr
#15 Posted by Skrskr (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course not, it has no feats to even suggest it moves at the speed of lightning let alone light.

Online
Avatar image for galactic_1000
#16 Posted by Galactic_1000 (3875 posts) - - Show Bio
Online
Avatar image for tj849
#17 Posted by tj849 (6002 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided

Doomsday's heat vision reached space in a fraction of the second ,

so it could be as as fast as light.

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#18 Posted by plotweapon16255 (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@plotweapon16255 said:
No Caption Provided

Doomsday's heat vision reached space in a fraction of the second ,

so it could be as as fast as light.

If it was anywhere near as fast as light it would've reached space instantaneously

No Caption Provided

No HV is not light speed in the DCEU

Based ON what?

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#19 Posted by plotweapon16255 (1643 posts) - - Show Bio
@plotweapon16255 said:
No Caption Provided

Doomsday's heat vision reached space in a fraction of the second ,

so it could be as as fast as light.

This is interesting, would love to have it quantified.

Based ON some fan calculation ,

It about 11400 km/s.

Avatar image for teenagedarkseid
#20 Posted by TeenageDarkseid (205 posts) - - Show Bio

Both Doomsday's and Superman's HV had concussive force behind some logically...no

No Caption Provided

Doomsday's heat vision reached space in a fraction of the second ,

so it could be as as fast as light.

we never saw that head up to space also that was nowhere near lightspeed.

If it was lightspeed it would already be in space by the time we see it blast up

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#21 Posted by plotweapon16255 (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@plotweapon16255 said:
No Caption Provided

Doomsday's heat vision reached space in a fraction of the second ,

so it could be as as fast as light.

Both Doomsday's and Superman's HV had concussive force behind some logically...no

So , how is it relevant to speed ?

we never saw that head up to space also that was nowhere near lightspeed.

At post 18 I have said shown u heat vision disappearing in a single frame.

If it was lightspeed it would already be in space by the time we see it blast up

It did , See the time stamp in screenshot and the GIF.

Avatar image for teenagedarkseid
#22 Posted by TeenageDarkseid (205 posts) - - Show Bio

@teenagedarkseid said:
@plotweapon16255 said:
No Caption Provided

Doomsday's heat vision reached space in a fraction of the second ,

so it could be as as fast as light.

Both Doomsday's and Superman's HV had concussive force behind some logically...no

So , how is it relevant to speed ?

Anything with mass cannot be lightspeed

we never saw that head up to space also that was nowhere near lightspeed.

At post 18 I have said shown u heat vision disappearing in a single frame.

Thats at least 3 frames

If it was lightspeed it would already be in space by the time we see it blast up

It did , See the time stamp in screenshot and the GIF.

that beam took like 3 frames

Avatar image for sanohibiki
#23 Posted by SanoHibiki (3034 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Might be massively hypersonic, but not lightspeed.

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#24 Posted by plotweapon16255 (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@plotweapon16255 said:
@teenagedarkseid said:
@plotweapon16255 said:
No Caption Provided

Doomsday's heat vision reached space in a fraction of the second ,

so it could be as as fast as light.

Both Doomsday's and Superman's HV had concussive force behind some logically...no

So , how is it relevant to speed ?

Anything with mass cannot be lightspeed

Photons disagrees with ur opinion.

we never saw that head up to space also that was nowhere near lightspeed.

At post 18 I have said shown u heat vision disappearing in a single frame.

Thats at least 3 frames

How does 2 frame become 3 frame ???

The frame shot clearly proves it disappeared between 31 & 32 of that gif.

If it was lightspeed it would already be in space by the time we see it blast up

It did , See the time stamp in screenshot and the GIF.

that beam took like 3 frames

My screenshots of the frame shot disagrees with ur proof-less opinion.

Avatar image for teenagedarkseid
#25 Posted by TeenageDarkseid (205 posts) - - Show Bio

@teenagedarkseid said:
@plotweapon16255 said:
@teenagedarkseid said:
@plotweapon16255 said:
No Caption Provided

Doomsday's heat vision reached space in a fraction of the second ,

so it could be as as fast as light.

Both Doomsday's and Superman's HV had concussive force behind some logically...no

So , how is it relevant to speed ?

Anything with mass cannot be lightspeed

Photons disagrees with ur opinion.

we never saw that head up to space also that was nowhere near lightspeed.

At post 18 I have said shown u heat vision disappearing in a single frame.

Thats at least 3 frames

How does 2 frame become 3 frame ???

The frame shot clearly proves it disappeared between 31 & 32 of that gif.

If it was lightspeed it would already be in space by the time we see it blast up

It did , See the time stamp in screenshot and the GIF.

that beam took like 3 frames

My screenshots of the frame shot disagrees with ur proof-less opinion.

give me some time ill provide proof

Avatar image for sergeant-rl3
#26 Posted by Sergeant-RL3 (2574 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#27 Posted by plotweapon16255 (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@plotweapon16255 said:
@teenagedarkseid said:
@plotweapon16255 said:
@teenagedarkseid said:
@plotweapon16255 said:
No Caption Provided

Doomsday's heat vision reached space in a fraction of the second ,

so it could be as as fast as light.

Both Doomsday's and Superman's HV had concussive force behind some logically...no

So , how is it relevant to speed ?

Anything with mass cannot be lightspeed

Photons disagrees with ur opinion.

we never saw that head up to space also that was nowhere near lightspeed.

At post 18 I have said shown u heat vision disappearing in a single frame.

Thats at least 3 frames

How does 2 frame become 3 frame ???

The frame shot clearly proves it disappeared between 31 & 32 of that gif.

If it was lightspeed it would already be in space by the time we see it blast up

It did , See the time stamp in screenshot and the GIF.

that beam took like 3 frames

My screenshots of the frame shot disagrees with ur proof-less opinion.

give me some time ill provide proof

Take all the time u want.

And I forgot to mention that Ironman , superman , green lantern , flash , even quicksilver disagrees with ur " Anything with mass cannot be lightspeed " opinion.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#28 Posted by buttersdaman000 (20914 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000 said:
@plotweapon16255 said:
No Caption Provided

Doomsday's heat vision reached space in a fraction of the second ,

so it could be as as fast as light.

If it was anywhere near as fast as light it would've reached space instantaneously

No Caption Provided

No HV is not light speed in the DCEU

Based ON what?

A frame in your typical movie is 1/24th of a second so the beam basically takes 1/12th of a second to reach space.....that's nowhere near lightspeed.

Avatar image for royal_warrior
#29 Posted by Royal_Warrior (4102 posts) - - Show Bio

It's slower than TASM's webshooters

Avatar image for hatsoffmelo
#30 Posted by HATSoffMELO (568 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for goddamnironman
#31 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1782 posts) - - Show Bio

@teenagedarkseid said:
@plotweapon16255 said:
@teenagedarkseid said:
@plotweapon16255 said:
@teenagedarkseid said:
@plotweapon16255 said:
No Caption Provided

Doomsday's heat vision reached space in a fraction of the second ,

so it could be as as fast as light.

Both Doomsday's and Superman's HV had concussive force behind some logically...no

So , how is it relevant to speed ?

Anything with mass cannot be lightspeed

Photons disagrees with ur opinion.

we never saw that head up to space also that was nowhere near lightspeed.

At post 18 I have said shown u heat vision disappearing in a single frame.

Thats at least 3 frames

How does 2 frame become 3 frame ???

The frame shot clearly proves it disappeared between 31 & 32 of that gif.

If it was lightspeed it would already be in space by the time we see it blast up

It did , See the time stamp in screenshot and the GIF.

that beam took like 3 frames

My screenshots of the frame shot disagrees with ur proof-less opinion.

give me some time ill provide proof

Take all the time u want.

And I forgot to mention that Ironman , superman , green lantern , flash , even quicksilver disagrees with ur " Anything with mass cannot be lightspeed " opinion.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#32 Posted by plotweapon16255 (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@plotweapon16255 said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@plotweapon16255 said:
No Caption Provided

Doomsday's heat vision reached space in a fraction of the second ,

so it could be as as fast as light.

If it was anywhere near as fast as light it would've reached space instantaneously

No Caption Provided

No HV is not light speed in the DCEU

Based ON what?

A frame in your typical movie is 1/24th of a second so the beam basically takes 1/12th of a second to reach space.....that's nowhere near lightspeed.

Where it also doesn't proves heat vision is slower than light speed either.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#33 Posted by buttersdaman000 (20914 posts) - - Show Bio

Where it also doesn't proves heat vision is slower than light speed either.

It literally does. If it were moving at light speed the frame rate wouldn't be able to catch it...

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#34 Posted by plotweapon16255 (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@plotweapon16255 said:

Where it also doesn't proves heat vision is slower than light speed either.

It literally does.

No , it doesn't.

If it were moving at light speed the frame rate wouldn't be able to catch it...

Camera flash disagrees with u.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#35 Edited by buttersdaman000 (20914 posts) - - Show Bio

@plotweapon16255 said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@plotweapon16255 said:

Where it also doesn't proves heat vision is slower than light speed either.

It literally does.

No , it doesn't.

If it were moving at light speed the frame rate wouldn't be able to catch it...

Camera flash disagrees with u.

Lol whatever. Neither of us is going to convince the other and I don't really care much so this whole thing is moot. I do suggest you do a bit of research on frame rates and the speed of light, however. Maybe you can convince yourself better than I can.

Avatar image for sergeant-rl3
#36 Posted by Sergeant-RL3 (2574 posts) - - Show Bio

@hatsoffmelo: lol no. I have a screw cap of it, I'll post it later.

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#37 Posted by plotweapon16255 (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@plotweapon16255 said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@plotweapon16255 said:

Where it also doesn't proves heat vision is slower than light speed either.

It literally does.

No , it doesn't.

If it were moving at light speed the frame rate wouldn't be able to catch it...

Camera flash disagrees with u.

Lol whatever. Neither of us is going to convince the other and I don't really care much so this whole thing is moot. I do suggest you do a bit of research on frame rates and the speed of light, however. Maybe you can convince yourself better than I can.

Based ON ur statement "

" If it were moving at light speed the frame rate wouldn't be able to catch it..."

Loading Video...

By this logic , this video shouldn't be able to capture the laser beam in that video when it got turned off in the previous frame before it got disappeared.

U can't prove it slower than light.

But u can low ball it as it no where close to light speed when the official guide says

"it's a intense red light".

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#38 Posted by buttersdaman000 (20914 posts) - - Show Bio

Based ON ur statement "

" If it were moving at light speed the frame rate wouldn't be able to catch it..."

Loading Video...

By this logic , this video shouldn't be able to capture the laser beam in that video when it got turned off in the previous frame before it got disappeared.

U can't prove it slower than light.

But u can low ball it as it no where close to light speed when the official guide says

"it's a intense red light".

There's a difference between being able to capture a light turn on and off, and being able to capture move through individual frames. The HV in BvS, as shown in the gif is seen moving through individual frames. You even cut out the frame of the explosion in between the two frames you shared.

And yeah, I know the guidebook says it's a red light, but what's shown in the movie doesn't add up. You got to decide which one matters.

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#39 Posted by plotweapon16255 (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@plotweapon16255 said:

Based ON ur statement "

" If it were moving at light speed the frame rate wouldn't be able to catch it..."

Loading Video...

By this logic , this video shouldn't be able to capture the laser beam in that video when it got turned off in the previous frame before it got disappeared.

U can't prove it slower than light.

But u can low ball it as it no where close to light speed when the official guide says

"it's a intense red light".

There's a difference between being able to capture a light turn on and off, and being able to capture move through individual frames.

Only if u caught it at different position in the next frame

Like this.

No Caption Provided

The HV in BvS, as shown in the gif is seen moving through individual frames.

Where it showed nothing like u say

You even cut out the frame of the explosion in between the two frames you shared.

Where it never got caught .

And yeah, I know the guidebook says it's a red light, but what's shown in the movie doesn't add up.

Add up on what ?

You got to decide which one matters.

Where you choose low ball it.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#40 Edited by buttersdaman000 (20914 posts) - - Show Bio

@plotweapon16255:

No, we saw it move. Just because you're basing your argument on a gif doesn't mean I have to. The gif only shows a clip of the entire scene when the HV was already activated. Here's the full scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS-jAKCZIaI

At 2:46 you can clearly see the beam moving. There's also the very important part of the gif you choose to ignore, where it cuts to the AOE explosiveness before going back tot he beam.

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#41 Edited by plotweapon16255 (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@plotweapon16255:

No, we saw it move. Just because you're basing your argument on a gif doesn't mean I have to. The gif only shows a clip of the entire scene where the HV was already activated. Here's the full scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS-jAKCZIaI

At 2:46 you can clearly see the beam moving. There's also the very important part of the gif you choose to ignore, where it cuts to the AOE explosiveness before going back tot he beam.

Just saw that scene , it's probably a cgi mistake unless ur saying heat vision speed is below 50 m/s.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#42 Posted by buttersdaman000 (20914 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000 said:

@plotweapon16255:

No, we saw it move. Just because you're basing your argument on a gif doesn't mean I have to. The gif only shows a clip of the entire scene where the HV was already activated. Here's the full scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS-jAKCZIaI

At 2:46 you can clearly see the beam moving. There's also the very important part of the gif you choose to ignore, where it cuts to the AOE explosiveness before going back tot he beam.

Just saw that scene , it's probably a cgi mistake unless ur saying heat vision speed is below 50 m/s.

You can't casually dismiss it as a mistake simply because it hurts your argument. The truth is you were never right about the speed. You took a gif, misinterpreted it, and also ignored the context of the gif itself. You can clearly see that the beam is traveling in the AoE frame of the gif yet you cut it out for some reason, and even reversed the sequence to make it seem as if it goes from the ground to space immediately.

Where are you getting 50 m/s from??

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#43 Posted by plotweapon16255 (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@plotweapon16255 said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

@plotweapon16255:

No, we saw it move. Just because you're basing your argument on a gif doesn't mean I have to. The gif only shows a clip of the entire scene where the HV was already activated. Here's the full scene

https://www.youtube.com/?v=eS-jAKCZIaI

At 2:46 you can clearly see the beam moving. There's also the very important part of the gif you choose to ignore, where it cuts to the AOE explosiveness before going back tot he beam.

Just saw that scene , it's probably a cgi mistake unless ur saying heat vision speed is below 50 m/s.

You can't casually dismiss it as a mistake simply because it hurts your argument.

I am not dismissing it not for the reason It doesn't support my argument.

I am dismissing it coz of the cgi mistake.

The truth is you were never right about the speed.You took a gif, misinterpreted it, and also ignored the context of the gif itself.u can clearly see that the beam is traveling in the AoE frame of the gif yet you cut it out for some reason, and even reversed the sequence to make it seem as if it goes from the ground to space immediately.

Let's assume I am wrong and ignore what I have said.

Let's just go by what we see here.

Based ON the part u mentioned.

the beam that traveled 5 - 10 meters in 1/12 second since it happened within 2 frames.

If we use velocity formula d/t , it gives 120 m/s.

Based ON what gif shows.

It reach 800+ kms away in 3rd second after it was emitted from his eyes which gives us the speed of 266 km/s.

So , tell me if u still believe it isn't a cgi mistake.

Where are you getting 50 m/s from??

Sorry , it's around 100 m/s.

Avatar image for proteusxmanrxis
#44 Posted by ProteusXManRxis (1424 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont think so.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#45 Edited by buttersdaman000 (20914 posts) - - Show Bio

@plotweapon16255:

Yeah, whatever man. Like I said, i'm not going to convince you otherwise. Your mind is made up. However, no one cares if you think it's a mistake and the veracity of your opinion doesn't depend on your lack of willingness to concede. So.....whatever lol

Avatar image for battle123axe
#46 Posted by Battle123axe (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

Um ...why is there an extreme close up of Bat-crotch in the OP?

lmao real shit

Avatar image for sergeant-rl3
#47 Posted by Sergeant-RL3 (2574 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

@plotweapon16255: I screencapped this a long time ago, this isn't the first time this debate has come up, but I couldn't find the thread. In this frame of MoS its pretty visible that the heat vision beams are protruding from his eyes at a slower than light speed.

Avatar image for mightykalel
#48 Posted by MightyKalEl (1546 posts) - - Show Bio

Um..no.

Avatar image for the_kidd
#49 Edited by The_Kidd (9041 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for mimisalome
#50 Posted by mimisalome (3739 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the mechanics.

If its a concentrated high intensity electromagnetic radiation (like laser) then yes it would be light speed.

If its a propagated ionized gas (very unlikely as it would violate conservation law) then it could be as fast as lightning but not light speed.

If its combination of both then it would be both light speed in terms the EM propagation but it wouldnt be "light speed" in terms of lighting you up instantenously.

Basically in the last mechanics the EM radiation (which is moving in light speed) is invisible initially but it slowly heating up the gases along its path creating the plasma/laser-like consistency.