Is DCEU Aquaman's submarine feat an outlier?

• 87 results
bleidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is DCEU Aquaman's submarine feat an outlier? (80 votes)

Yes, it's an outlier 35%
No, the feat below is an outlier 10%
No, Aquaman was injured from Black Manta's plasma beam 16%
No, Aquaman is much stronger in the sea than he is on the land 28%
Your options are biased. I have a better explanation 4%
I have no idea. I'd rather see the results 8%
Aquaman struggling to lift a stone pillar
Aquaman struggling to lift a stone pillar

Notice how his hips and legs are shaking while lifting the stone pillar?

It seems like that the filmmakers have no idea exactly how strong they want Arthur to be.

• 
Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undefined:

He didn't really struggle. I would say being gentle is more apt.

But yeah the submarine feat feels like an outlier. He didn't really do anything to justify that feat afterwards.

jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jashugan

I just recently watched the movie. Aquaman had been repeatedly shot by atlantean beams and stabbed by atlantean swords before lifting this thing

The submarine feat is the first feat in the first 10 minutes of the movie.

BalancedTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf823e3012e8
deactivated-5cf823e3012e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was being cautious because of the dude under the pillar. The submarine lift is his most impressive showing, but it's not an outlier.

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 killbilly  Moderator

@settled said:

He was being cautious because of the dude under the pillar. The submarine lift is his most impressive showing, but it's not an outlier.

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It can easily be said that he's stronger underwater.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not an outlier, prior to this he took repeated damage and he's also being cautious.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm usually not into the argument where a character grunts or shakes slightly while performing a feat, so that feat must be close to their limit. Realistically there is a million reasons why Arthur might have lifted that block somewhat slowly, or why Thanos grunted when he lifted the Hulk.

Also superheroes do not constantly have access to their full power. When they try really, really hard they access their full power.

LyonKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is definitely a lot stronger underwater but the submarine feat still feels like an outlier.

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Im really cautious of making any feat an outlier. I prefer only saying that when im more sure that there is nothing in the verse that could "explain" the feat.

The feat is simply his best feat. There are many scenes on the DCEU that has feats around that scale and we must understand that characters have high and lows (that´s why i chose to anylize every character with a lowballed version and a highballed and try to make a average)

Trying to "debunk" feats i don´t like is a dishonest way to debate and quite hipocrate.

The feat makes sense in universe, it´s not like Nolan Batman did it

bleidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: Watch it closely. His hips and legs are shaking. If he was just being cautious there's no reason for that to happen.

bleidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk: Yeah, Thanos did grunt but his body wasn't shaking.

bleidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: Even if what you're saying is correct, don't you think that a guy who can lift a friggin submarine shouldn't have to do that. Also worth noting is that he puts down the pillar the moment the guy escapes from underneath it like he was really struggling to hold it up.

I do think it's a low-end feat though just as the submarine is a high end feat. Realistically, a guy who can lift a submarine should be able to lift the pillar with his pinky finger.

bleidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-6081fb94189dc
deactivated-6081fb94189dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a outlier.

Namebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He might be stronger in the water.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not an outlier because there are justifications for the scene e.g. was injured and he has not been in water for a long period.

Marvelx13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol at the people who think he's stronger under water. Anyways he definitely used the momentum of his super speed to help lift the sub

Galactic_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No It's not an Outlier.

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

where exactly does he struggle in that gif?

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see why it would be.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is consistent with other feats such as sending Steppenwolf flying with a punch, penetrating Steppenwolf's armor with his trident, tanking hits from the Karathen that we later see one shotting Atlantean submarines, contending with Orm who we saw rip a submarine open with his trident, smashing through thick stone pillars, creating a massive underwater shockwave when he collided with Orm, etc.

Arthur has a lot of feats in the ballpark of the submarine feat between his two movies. The submarine feat is just his best and most easily calculated feat.

The stone pillar is far more out of place than the submarine feat if you look at his entire collection of feats instead of zeroing in on his absolute lowest showings.

You can say that, but you'd be wrong. The movie tells us that he's stronger than normal humans because of his body being adapted for the deep sea, and in an interview with James Wan he has this to say.

Well, I think firstly, one thing I’ve been very cautious about doing is making sure that he isn’t Superman. And so even though from our story standpoint, there’s a reason why Aquaman ultimately is powerful. He’s strong. It’s because most Atlantians, their bodies are built to withstand thousands of pressure. They live so far down. So when they come up, their body is … they’re not aliens from another planet. But because of the physics of our planet and all that stuff, when they come up to the surface world, their body can withstand really strong pressure, right?

And so whereas bullet literally bounce off the man of steel, bullets can grave these guys and maybe break their skin and break their flesh, but it doesn’t necessarily penetrate ’cause their muscle mass and their body mass is much more dense. And so even within the world of superhero, I try to find a reason for why, how he is the way he is. So yeah, so he can get beaten up, you know. When he goes up, surface war weapons may have a hard time taking him down, but Atlantian technology can cripple him for sure, can really kind of destroy him.

~ James Wan

We also have feats of Arthur fighting Steppenwolf above and below the sea and fairing about the same. Steppenwolf overpowers him physically in both environments.

Nothing in the movie tells us he gets weaker on land and a few low showings aren't enough to justify saying that he does over the evidence to the contrary.

Worldofthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Worldofthunder

You should watch the movie first before you put up context-less GIFs and make yourself look braindead. Moments before that he was blasted by Manta's plasma beam twice, and for a water based character that's like kryptonite. This isn't even mentioning the huge cuts and stabs Manta dealt to him literally minutes before, in which he was barely able to stand in that scene the GIF took place. If you were to have a giant cut on your back and multiple stab wounds on your torso, you'd be dead, let alone handling yourself as well as Arthur.

No it isn't an outlier. You should watch the movie first ;)

Furthermore, he wasn't even struggling LOL!

To add even more to it, in JL he casually pushed away a large boulder with one hans.

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was his first appearance in the movie as an adult. They wanted a dramatic entrance, and got one. Same thing with Hela crushing Mjolnir.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's stronger in the water

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metaljimmor:

It is consistent with other feats such as sending Steppenwolf flying with a punch, penetrating Steppenwolf's armor with his trident, tanking hits from the Karathen that we later see one shotting Atlantean submarines, contending with Orm who we saw rip a submarine open with his trident, smashing through thick stone pillars, creating a massive underwater shockwave when he collided with Orm, etc.

Arthur has a lot of feats in the ballpark of the submarine feat between his two movies. The submarine feat is just his best and most easily calculated feat.

The stone pillar is far more out of place than the submarine feat if you look at his entire collection of feats instead of zeroing in on his absolute lowest showings.

@bladeoffury said:

You can say that, but you'd be wrong. The movie tells us that he's stronger than normal humans because of his body being adapted for the deep sea, and in an interview with James Wan he has this to say.

Well, I think firstly, one thing I’ve been very cautious about doing is making sure that he isn’t Superman. And so even though from our story standpoint, there’s a reason why Aquaman ultimately is powerful. He’s strong. It’s because most Atlantians, their bodies are built to withstand thousands of pressure. They live so far down. So when they come up, their body is … they’re not aliens from another planet. But because of the physics of our planet and all that stuff, when they come up to the surface world, their body can withstand really strong pressure, right?

And so whereas bullet literally bounce off the man of steel, bullets can grave these guys and maybe break their skin and break their flesh, but it doesn’t necessarily penetrate ’cause their muscle mass and their body mass is much more dense. And so even within the world of superhero, I try to find a reason for why, how he is the way he is. So yeah, so he can get beaten up, you know. When he goes up, surface war weapons may have a hard time taking him down, but Atlantian technology can cripple him for sure, can really kind of destroy him.

~ James Wan

We also have feats of Arthur fighting Steppenwolf above and below the sea and fairing about the same. Steppenwolf overpowers him physically in both environments.

Nothing in the movie tells us he gets weaker on land and a few low showings aren't enough to justify saying that he does over the evidence to the contrary.

I agree with everything you said

Flashkings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he's stronger underwater, and he also used the momentum of his speed to lift the sub

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea he was injured when he did that but that is only like a few tons of rock. The sub feat to my knowledge has been calced between 20,000-579,283 tons.

Loading Video...

He really didn't do anything that came close to the sub feat and he had a lot of other low showings. I'm not sure how strong Aquaman is suppose to be if we aren't differentiating between his feats underwater and in land. But I don't see the sub feat as consistent.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undefined: you already know the answer to your own question. It’s not. Aquaman will be as strong as he needs to be within reason. He only struggles with lighter stuff to build tension. If would be pretty boring id he went around just ripping through everything all the time.

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: come on. You already know it isn’t an outlier. It’s just to show off Arthur’s powers. He doesn’t do that again for the exact same reasons that Superman never dodgers punches or clark forgets half of his powers. It’s for the plot. It would be pretty boring if he went around doing everything really easy. Writers don’t care about feats. They just want to build tension. It’s pretty hard to build tension with a guy who can easily lift a submarine out of the water.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd
deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. He just gets nerfed when he fights Black Manta, its the same with the comic version.

I've already debunked this before. Its an obvious low showing because he tossed a bigger piece of rubble off him with one arm and no effort whatsoever after being slammed by Steppenwolfs axe on land.

He was stabbed and blasted multiple times right before he lifted the rubble in Sicily as well.

No Caption Provided

Steppenwolf also overpowered him underwater and he wrestled it out with him multiple times on land. Its pretty clear in my eyes. The sub he lifted was like 15k so its not that high.

bleidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@worldofthunder: I literally put an option which says "no, Aquaman was injured from Black Manta's plasma beam". So how about you properly read the OP first before commenting and make yourself look brain-dead. In any case, the submarine feat is calculated to be way higher than Superman's best strength feat i.e. dragging the ship through ice. So to answer your question, if I am able to lift a bicycle over my head, no amount of cuts and burns can stop me from effortlessly lifting a pencil. That's how heavy this stone column is compared to the sub. There's your context for you. And I did watch the film, twice. However, unlike you I paid attention to the details.

nightgate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s not an outlier, this shot actually looks like Jason himself messed up on his lifting form. But if we’re speaking exclusive in-character, Aquaman had taken some serious damage prior to this.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: come on. You already know it isn’t an outlier. It’s just to show off Arthur’s powers. He doesn’t do that again for the exact same reasons that Superman never dodgers punches or clark forgets half of his powers. It’s for the plot. It would be pretty boring if he went around doing everything really easy. Writers don’t care about feats. They just want to build tension. It’s pretty hard to build tension with a guy who can easily lift a submarine out of the water.

Superman not dodging attacks depends on context. The only times I remember characters slower than superman tagging him would be batman in BVS (he tricked him with kryptonite though), the justice league (Clark wasn't really using his speed except against flash and to blitz wonder woman), and doomsday.

In the case of doomsday that is the only time I would say there might have been a bit of PIS (either him tagging superman is PIS or batman dodging doomsday's attacks are). But even than its not illogical for doomsday to fight superman. He could arguably use his durability to compensate for Clark's speed. Plus Clark had been doused with kryptonite and hit with a nuke in the same day and turned into a zombie so he might not have been at his best (admittedly this is a bit assumptive). But even than Clark has plenty of speed feats. He was creating sonic booms against Zod, he statued Steppenwolf and the league, he blitzed wonder woman, etc. He has few low showings and most of them can be chalked up to Clark just choosing not to use his speed because he was fighting non-threats.

Even with Doomsday an argument could be made that's not nessasarily a low showing for superman but it could be said Doomsday not tagging batman is the real PIS. The real inconsistency isn't really superman but Doomsday. As for Aquaman I've gone through his showings in a bunch of threads before. But there is the whole trench scene where he used metal poles to hold them back and the sub feat. Yea he has a lot of impressive feats and if you think the showings I just cited are low showings that's fine. But I honestly am not confident in him being a 20,000 tonner. Unlike superman with his speed where he has several statements and showings of speed Aquaman only has the sub feat for feats at that level.

Marvelx13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steppenwolf replicates easier

baph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's stronger in water, so him struggling with a pillar outside doesn't make it an outlier.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By APEX_pretador

I hate calling feats outlier as long as we can avoid that.

- He's stronger underwater

- He has high swimming power like "flight strength", like jet boosters of IM or superman's flight. This allows him to generate a lot of pushing force.

But only later movies would tell.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bleidd said:

I literally put an option which says "no, Aquaman was injured from Black Manta's plasma beam". So how about you properly read the OP first before commenting and make yourself look brain-dead. In any case, the submarine feat is calculated to be way higher than Superman's best strength feat i.e. dragging the ship through ice. So to answer your question, if I am able to lift a bicycle over my head, no amount of cuts and burns can stop me from effortlessly lifting a pencil. That's how heavy this stone column is compared to the sub. There's your context for you. And I did watch the film, twice. However, unlike you I paid attention to the details.

Arthur had severe third degree burns on his arms, just got stabbed in the shoulder, and had his stomach and back sliced open by a sword slash. If that happened to you in real life you probably wouldn't still be standing at all. Arthur literally passes out at the end of this fight because of how badly injured he is and takes some unspecified amount of days in a coma recovering.

If you're severely injured the simple act of bending over can cause you enough discomfort to grit your teeth, grunt, and strain yourself. Lifting something or not.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is stronger underwater or it's an outlier

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By krisbishop  Moderator

The submarine feat is a combination of his lifting strength and his swimming propulsion. And also a submarine would be lighter underwater than on land. It's not an outlier.