Is DC comics still going as strong as in the begining of rebirth ?

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Anyone ?

Avatar image for staticspeedster
StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

They still haven't finished Doomsday Clock and there's an ongoing arc with the new Justice League series so I guess yeah.

MorbusGrav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Scott Snyder's Justice League is a pretty meh try to replicate Morrison, there happened a lot of different bad runs in Rebirth by now and Doomsday Clock killed all it's hype with the delays, but they have still gems like Mister Miracle and Justice League Dark.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morbusgrav: looks like we share same thoughts for JL lol

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JL

Aquaman

JLD

JLO

Doomsday Clock

Superman

I wouldn’t say it’s as good, but DC’s in a good place.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: well cut Aquaman on your list it won't be the same for sure

New Superman title is weak compare to the previous one

And I think I told you about jl in another comment

MorbusGrav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morbusgrav: looks like we share same thoughts for JL lol

Yeah, Metal was fun and all but his Justice League is trying too hard to be something it absolutely isn't.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
Life_Without_Progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

JL

Aquaman

JLD

JLO

Doomsday Clock

Superman

I wouldn’t say it’s as good, but DC’s in a good place.

Don't forget Morrison's The Green Lantern. Solid debut.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ready_4_Madness  Online

@life_without_progress: 100%

I’d personally add Deathstroke there too.

The “Metal” event was good as well.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Supermanthor

@morbusgrav: until now I agree he is recycling old ideas like stength force ultraviolet lartens .

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I would say no, because much of what made Rebirth great, the sense of hope and optimism, has gone away again or is slowly being drained.

And it's a mix of things that's doing it I am afraid:

• Chiefly among which is Tom King... because everything he writes, as good and intersting it might be, is supremely depressing. His Batman run is all about wrecking Batman, Mister Miracle was also very depressing, and Heroes in Crisis has just turned into a murderfest where someone gets rid of a lot of characters he didn't like... and quite likely it's Dan Didio.
  • Dan Didio, still in charge of the company and still trying to drive the DCU into a dark pit of despair where no one is happy. Batman is getting wrecked in his own book, the Superman family is broken up and is staring down the future of an angry Jon Kent, and a lot of people were killed for no good reason in Sanctuary.
  • Geoff John: For being so appallingly slow to wheel out his stupid Doomsday Clock story... another example of a story where everyone is dark and miserable, not to mention boring and stupid.
  • Scott Snyder is sort of a ray of light in his big goofy spectacles in the sense that his stories are mostly ok, but rather bland over all.
  • And the problem everyone else faces is that they have to follow these people around, if they do something, everyone else follows and it keeps screwing up everyone elses' plans.

There are bright spots however, funnily enough JLD being one, but they are just small spots on an overall dark and depressing world. And I fear it will only get more so as it all sinks into the filth of Doomsday Clock and Heroes in Crisis.

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanthor: the previous Superman was better but that doesn’t mean the current title isn’t good. I’m enjoying it.

Same with JL, you might not be enjoying but it’s currently my favourite DC title, so I’ll keep it listed too.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: i never said I didn't enjoy them but they weren't for me . Anyway I respect your opinion

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By Stahlflamme  Online

@outside_85: Misunderstood masterpieces you just don't get... like Man of Steel and Batman V Superman those absolute brilliant gems of complex character writing consiting of depressed moping and angry moping and perfect action consisting of people punching each other in the face and cgi explosions. These stories merely potray the realistic and revolutionary views of the genre of true artists you just don't understand and therefor deeper and better than anything else you might like.

Yeah, I couldn't resist.

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not as strong as Rebirth, but it's good.

adomahmichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not as strong but there are still many readable titles.

Helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's good but not as strong.

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of them had a bad start and just get worse right now like: Batman, Detective Comics, Batgirl and Justice League.

Some of them had a bad start but fixed themselves after that like: Nightwing, Mister Miracle, Doomsday Clock and Aquaman.

Some of them had a good start and were great but right now they're messy: Justice League Dark, JLO and Action Comics.

And there's a few of them which were amazing at start and still are: RHATO, Superman (I'm surprised Bendis didn't f@$%ed up), The Flash and Supersons.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@michaelbn: well bendis aged up Jon he is looking like 16 or 17 year old now

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Michaelbn

@supermanthor: Jon had been introduced since 2015-2016 as Superboy and after 2years he's now a teen, he needed a little bit of time you know, as a kid he had a lot of good stories and character development especially with Robin. I'm just glad there's nothing more.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Supermanthor
MorbusGrav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@michaelbn: What's messy about Justice League Dark right now and what about Mister Miracle's start do you find especially bad?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@outside_85: Misunderstood masterpieces you just don't get... like Man of Steel and Batman V Superman those absolute brilliant gems of complex character writing consiting of depressed moping and angry moping and perfect action consisting of people punching each other in the face and cgi explosions. These stories merely potray the realistic and revolutionary views of the genre of true artists you just don't understand and therefor deeper and better than anything else you might like.

Yeah, I couldn't resist.

You are weak, son of Stahl.

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morbusgrav: That Witching hour stupid event, JLD was going good and they had their own adventures until WH came in. Totally forced, it wasn't necessary.

MM start was like Batman, but then it became great and it's still lovely and enjoyable to read.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of them had a bad start but fixed themselves after that like: Nightwing, Mister Miracle, Doomsday Clock and Aquaman.

Good to hear that Aquaman is making improvements. I gave up on it after... gee I don't know, maybe a dozen issues due to the boring government/politics nonsense that just went on and on.

You're right about Doomsday Clock too, especially across the last few issues (8, 9, and 10) which are really starting to provide some answers and make things interesting. The first few issues were damn confusing, and of course the infamous slow release time has only made the confusion worse.

I stuck with Batman for over 40 issues but had to give that up too. Boring boring boring. Who cares about the Catwoman relationship? Not me.

As for the hope and optimism, I can say I've seen much of that from my readings of Aquaman, Batman and Doomsday Clock. I'm taking a chance with Hal Jordan now because I really like Robert Venditti, so I'm going to start from Vol 1 TPB and see how I go. Surely space adventures can't be ruined by politics and relationships, right?

Avatar image for the_agent_of_chaos
The_Agent_Of_Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say it's been pretty standard fare recently up till Year of the Villain but I'm glad to see others enjoying Justice League Dark as much as I'm enjoying too. I'm not a big fan of horror elements, but it's the title that managed to keep me most interested.

Dial H for Hero has also been surprisingly entertaining. It has a sort of nostalgic feel to it that I wasn't expecting.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically the only title I'm bothering to keep up with is JLD.