Is Dan DiDio leaving D.C Comics a good thing yes or no & why?

fmen2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

Poll Is Dan DiDio leaving D.C Comics a good thing yes or no & why? (20 votes)

Yes it's a good thing 80%
No It's a Bad thing 20%
No Caption Provided

Hi Comic Vine it's me fmen2016 reporting on the news that Dan DiDio is leaving D.C Comics per you tube the news for whatever reason only know to AT&T & Him ,so putting that off to the side , may question is this a good thing or not . Now I know that he had some hits & some big old misses just anyone does in the comic book buss has .So what I like have is a discussion on his leaving & what is DC Comics going to look like & may be who will come in & take over .

• 
fmen2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

may Jim Lee will take over

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In a lot of ways it's probably good. Although it leaves an unknown future for DC which could turn into a bad thing.

I think they could have definitely handled it more tastefully though.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Don't think it's that bad but I do have a few concerns about the timing though. I mean he left a little before the 5G event which was his idea as far as I know. Doubt this will be good for it or the company.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's the best thing that could've happened.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also heard that AT&T might take some... “permanent action” with regards to DC if 5G doesn't sell well :/

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By DeathandGrim

@reactor said:

I also heard that AT&T might take some... “permanent action” with regards to DC if 5G doesn't sell well :/

If we're being honest it most likely won't sell well. DC hasn't had its stuff together for a long time now. Rebirth was a fluke

Well I enjoyed it while it lasted at least

fmen2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DeathandGrim2: hmm then what about Doomsday clock then is that Fluke too ?

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fmen2016: I'd consider that part of rebirth since it started with it

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Its a bad thing because not everything is about Didio. His removal just heralds something worse.

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We will just have to wait and see.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he has. Not clear on the reasons why tho

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Bendis should go as well. What are they waiting for.

Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Would be an interesting move but for some reason, I just can't see it happening.

LuisDantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magian: At one point when Jim Shooter was Marvel's EIC they came very close to publishing DC's main books.

If anything, that is even more likely to happen now, with AT&T calling the shots. I doubt they care who publishes the books or even how as long as they don't make too much of a loss and remain a reliable source of intellectual property that can sustain profitable merchandise (mainly movies, animated features and TV series).

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I believe that the speculation that AT&T is considering selling or shutting down DC is highly unlikely. The DC IP’s are very lucrative and I am certain they would like to expand the returns from those IP’s further. That means changes are necessary to keep the DC relevant to more of today’s youth.

LuisDantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Myself, I am hardly a DiDio fan, but I can definitely think of worse scenarios than his having been kept. I am not sure that I would expect Jim Lee to be any better an Editor than DiDio was/is, for one.

Whether his leave is a good or a bad thing for DC, fans and readers is very much an open question far as I am concerned. What I do think is that the circunstances suggest that it was a fairly sudden decision. That in turn suggests some fairly significant level of conflict with his higher-ups (therefore, people from AT&T and Warner) that one or both sides expected not to be resolvable in an adequate timetable to the satisfaction of all.

So, by that measure, it is an ill omen. It implies that AT&T is now aware enough of and ill disposed enough towards DC Entertainment to want to chance a public perception that it has been badly managed when it could have attempted to build a silver lining or at least announce something that could be spun as a positive resulting change.

Which it, plainly, did not bother to try. We do not even have clear statements on whether Jim Lee will remain, nor on whether the vacancy left by DiDio is meant to be filled back at all. DC and its public have to make do with this uncertainty for the time being, and that can not be a good thing.

The timing and the suddenness make me believe that the reception of the Joker and Birds and Prey movies, and of the 5G event planned for October 2020, all factored into this decision. DC is far more valuable these days for the multimedia products and the intellectual property itself than for any profit that the comics might happen to be making out. That has been true at least since the Jeanette Khan days. I for one can't imagine that AT&T would invest much effort into attempting to change that, and that is assuming that they care at all.

Therefore, I assume that fairly heated decision-making is happening in these very days. Soon we will have some form of announcement on the future of DC Entertainment's editorial roles. And it will probably be fairly unpleasant, if only because AT&T has little reason to care much about DC Entertainment to the level that would enable it to make an informed decision.

And, I say this once again, there are many, many worse scenarios than that of having kept Dan DiDio.

In any case, I expect 5G to be either cancelled or deemphasized drammatically and demoted to some sort of alternate continuity. It is a surprise that it got the go ahead in the first place.

I also expect a lot of retrofitting and scaling back in DC Entertainment, _particularly_ in the comics division. From a financial standpoint they are insignificant except as a convenient farm for potential new lucrative concepts and characters. AT&T will refuse to invest much money in there, and apparently they can't currently be bothered to offer much in the way of planning for announcements either. Expect significant cuts and cancellations, and I would not particularly doubt farming out the actual book publishing for Disney/Marvel either.

There is a very good chance that AT&T will decide not to bother with the comicbooks proper if they can help it, so that they can focus on making the movies work in a predictable and more lucrative way.

Frankly, that would be the smart thing to do. DC has one of the most valuable stables of characters that ever existed, but they have been suffering from repeated half-baked attempts that leave us from the public wondering if the filmmakers were ever briefed about the very characters that they were making movies about. Kevin Snyder, I am looking at your take on Superman. Green Lantern is one of the most succesful franchises in DC and the movie division has been pretending for well over eight years that they do not remember that it had a movie back in mid-2011. Those are amateuristic goofs commited at the expense of Hollywood Blockbuster budgets, and they harm the value of the intellectual properties to boot. AT&T neither should nor is likely to stand for that.

It does not help that DC has actually had better results overall by refusing to make the various continuities converge with each other. There are perhaps a literal half dozen _currently produced_ takes on the Titans, and they diverge enthusiastically from each other to such a degree that no one dreams of attempting to reconcile them. It is not much different with Batman or Superman or even the Flash and Green Lantern. Are people who enjoyed the recent Joker and Birds of Prey movies even _expected_ anymore to have a clue on whether there is any comicbook out there that might suit their tastes anymore? Or to have a chance at actually finding them in order to buy them?

The money and the comics are not even attempting to connect with each other anymore, and that is not at all a new or temporary situation. AT&T could do worse than focus on the movies' troubles and let Marvel take care of their source of intellectual property in the meantime.

fmen2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@space_coyote: I don't think Marvel Can do to the FCC or who ever governs print may view it as becoming a Monopoly & it will not go through

LuisDantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know who prints the comics, but that is fairly unrelated to the publishing rights part of the process. For all I know there is already a "de facto" monopoly there, as there is in distribution with Diamond.

With Image, Dark Horse, IDW, Avatar, Archie, Valiant, Boom, Dynamite and others all active, I don't think that we can talk of monopoly in the publishing side even if Marvel and DC buy each other outright.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luisdantas: intuitively I would have thought that Marvel pubslishing DC comic books would allow them to have part of the IP. And I don't see that happening.

Am I wrong?

LuisDantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr: I think that you are, yes. It is entirely possible to protect the IP rights while licensing it for publishing, although of course there must in practice be financial incentives of some sort for the licensee.

For decades DC itself was in fact contractually obliged to keep Wonder Woman in publication on behalf of the Moulton state that kept its rights. Archie Comics also arranged to have DC publish its own line of superheroes for a while (twice IIRC) - remember The Mighty Crusaders and Impact! Comics?

Or consider creator-owned comics such as John Byrne's Next Men (published at Dark Horse and much later at IDW) or Jim Starlin's Dreadstar (Epic/Marvel, then First Comics, then Malibu/Bravura). If those creators can keep their own IP, I just don't see why DC / Warner / AT&T would lack the means to do the same.

Even right now, Disney publishes some of their most visible properties' comicboks through IDW, which is not under their belt, despite owning the biggest publisher of comics outright. I feel confident that Disney is not about to lose the rights to the intellectual property of Mickey, Donald and Scrooge to IDW, no matter how profitable that arrangement may be for both parties.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luisdantas: i agree with your analysis. Anyway, it's an interesting business proof of concept. If there are indeed ongoing negotiations on this, I'm sure that the final result will be quite complex.

LuisDantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No doubt. Marvel and DC are huge on their own these days. Everything involving them is quite complex. And both are now owned by even larger corporations...

SentryVoid7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope Jim Lee will bring back Wildcats.

SentryVoid7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I want Superboy Prime vs Majestros.

Teozot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sentryvoid7: I want wildstorm to interact with DC too

Don't know wtf they are doing

DC owns wildstorm now

SentryVoid7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teozot: Jim will set them straight. He has too, Wildstorm is his baby.

My guess is he'll get some revenue if his characters become popular & get introduced in DCEU.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc63aec061e5
deactivated-5fc63aec061e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fmen2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UltraPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cosmicbook news is a garbage news source, all they do is put out clickbait article with little to no evidence of their claims.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

@ultraphoenix: In a sense, Comic Book News is the KMC equivalent of news sources

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cocacolaman  Moderator

If Marvel takes over DC, 2020 will be one heck of a decade starter for sure. Having canon Thor vs Superman fights would be too freaking good.

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AT&T is really shutting down dc Comics?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc63aec061e5
deactivated-5fc63aec061e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fmen2016: I'd say it's kinda good..I'd love to see Thor making a god child with Wonder Woman..Just imagine how powerful he'd be XD..If an acquisition happens, IMO they should keep the DC characters as an alternate universe and occasionally crossover..The thing is AT&T doesn't like to give away Superman and Batman as they believe they're of high value but they're only keeping Wonder Woman mostly as an honor to Moultan Marston. And characters like Shazam might be better off in Marvel rather than living under Superman's shadow as a c-lister..Tbh I firmly believe Wonder Woman and Shazam deserve to be in Marvel

fmen2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By fmen2016

@necrogod: Ok Mr. Brodie Bruce you like every other Fan Boy /Fan Girl wants to see the Mega Crossover, but my questions what happen after that ,because it's not that going to stick or impact the main contently , do n't get me wrong I love a good cross over as much as the next Cat , but the question where does it go from there is my main question?

UltraPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultraphoenix: In a sense, Comic Book News is the KMC equivalent of news sources

Do you mean "comic" book news or "cosmic" book news? Cosmic book news as far as I know puts out a lot of fake news, they were reporting that Henry Cavill got fired from the role of Superman and that he's considering joining the MCU, no evidence just speculation and supposed "insider" information.

fmen2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UltraPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fmen2016: pretty much, but I've heard other news sources talk about DC shutting down so maybe they got something credible this time.

fmen2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

so it's official now that Jim Lee has taken over Dan DiDio pre C2E2 so here's to hopping & god speed ahead