Is CW Black Lightning worth watching?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c60dc252a2af
deactivated-5c60dc252a2af

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I watched the pilot but didn't find it interesting. Is it good? What other CW season is it comparable to?

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

It's great, and the plot really picks up around the 4th episode. The pervasive themes and characterizations aren't really comparable to any other CW shows, though I guess I'd compare Tobias Whale to Cottonmouth from the Netflix Luke Cage series as they share quite a few similarities.

BlackMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. It's hilarious for all the wrong reasons. Trash, dude. Skip it.

Avatar image for youshallnotpass
YouShallNotPass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. It's hilarious for all the wrong reasons. Trash, dude. Skip it.

Agreed. So overrated.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's pretty damn good yea

Avatar image for daringspeedster
DaringSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it all depend on your taste or opinion on what you like to watch? BUT I have not seen it yet. I am not really fond of Black Lightning, reminds me too much of static shock or Electro or maybe a weaker version of Shazam

Thedarkking25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great, and the plot really picks up around the 4th episode. The pervasive themes and characterizations aren't really comparable to any other CW shows, though I guess I'd compare Tobias Whale to Cottonmouth from the Netflix Luke Cage series as they share quite a few similarities.

Agreed

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 juiceboks  Moderator

@daringspeedster: Jefferson is only similar to those characters in powerset(aside from Vergil for obvious reasons), everything from his personality to his daily life issues present his stories in ways none of those other characters can and do. Only Static regularly deals with certain issues that Black Lightning does (racism, poverty, drug use, gang violence, failing school system etc) but Jefferson's age, life experiences, occupation and his overall state of mind allows him to tackle them in ways Vergil can't. He's pretty unique hero and his show is one of the better superhero series out right now.

weatherwitch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its better then most of the other dc shows

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so.

To me, what I hate about the show is that it has almost no action. The show is 98% dialogue 2% action.

Am I saying a show has to be all action? No, but I think it should be part of it. Say what you want about Arrow and Flash, but you can't deny they have action.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's alright, the characters and by proxy the actors are likable enough. The action is skimpy, I don't if it's a budget thing or not.Even LOT pulls off more action from what I remember. His theme is really on the nose, like it seems like a joke. They introduced Thunder/Anissa being lesbian in the most blunt way possible and it leads to some character issues down the line that they kinda sweep under the rug.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It better than most CW DC shows, centres more on family and the community than heroics.

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it pretty well. Arrow and Flash has excellent first seasons and solid (to say the least) 2nd seasons. It’s a great deal like supergirl in that it supports and dictates a narrative about gender and race and sometimes confuses equity and equality. But the struggles are felt, the acting is good and the plots are solid.

Flash has gone downhill but not nearly as much as a lot of people claim. They took a chance and moved away from a speedster villain and it some ways it paid off and others it lacked. The problem with the Flash is they’ve squander villains that entire seasons could build around as easily if not more so than The Thinker and Savitar. I hope it’s sometbing they re-visit and correct characters they screwed up. Next season will determine a lot for this show.

I enjoy Legends of tomorrow but I’m not caught up so I will reserve judgement

Arrow just followed up and extremely strong season with a below average season because it seemed like far too much of the same. But I’m still excited about next season to see if they recover.

Supergirl started pretty strong but I just finished season 2. It’s gotten new dynamics right but the same villain is becoming an issue, between Astra, Mon els mom, and from what I understand “Reign”... So I will wait to catch up before I give final judgement here.

Black Lightning started slow and became intriguing organically, but fell off a bit in the second half on Jefferson’s part (over black lightning) IMO. It’s very much like Arrow in that Jefferson is a strong character that has so many threads to pull and things of interest to explore. Seeing him in his school sort of reminded me of the movie “Lean on Me”, if you haven’t seen it it’s excellent”. I thoroughly enjoyed it. As far as first seasons go, it’s as strong as Supergirl, whole not as good as Arrow’s or Flash’s intro season but better than LoT season 1.

Sorry I know I gave my opinion about all of them but oh well.

JuJuCrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmao BL is so garbage it's good. Me and a buddy at work only watch it to make fun.

BL has got us through a lot of tough days. It's super trash.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Jeez! So much hatred for it in this thread. I thought it would have been the most well received of the shows. I like it a lot, and it's IMO better than Luke Cage. It only had like two clunker episodes, but it gets really good after that. Could have done without the cartoonishly racist villain.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was pretty good. It depends on you're taste though. And I would say that the first several episodes are the best.

mexcomics2078

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure. Watch it

Lord_Titan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dont know her dont care

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was pretty good and unlike other people here, I actually thought that there was enough action(weird complaint that the CW does too much story). Some times it gets a little blunt and over the top with it's themes, especially racism, but it's worth a watch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched the first episode, was ok

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No is the obvious answer.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it had a very strong first season and I've always been interested in Jefferson. Looking forward to more.

DeathHero61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

It better than most CW DC shows, centres more on family and the community than heroics.

This, I found myself liking it a lot more than I thought I would. I can't imagine why anyone would call it overrated, if anything the other CW shows are overrated and Black Lightning is underrated.

deathstroke512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes it's good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc2c7b81b701
deactivated-5bc2c7b81b701

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I struggled with watching it. I've tried 7 times, only got to episode 10

Avatar image for deactivated-5bdbf1dc6fdcc
deactivated-5bdbf1dc6fdcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so.

To me, what I hate about the show is that it has almost no action. The show is 98% dialogue 2% action.

Am I saying a show has to be all action? No, but I think it should be part of it. Say what you want about Arrow and Flash, but you can't deny they have action.

Depends who prefers what. This is rather season focused on family, solving problem. Being superhero not only means to beat bad guys but also solve problems of social community, own relatives etc

Avatar image for deactivated-5bdbf1dc6fdcc
deactivated-5bdbf1dc6fdcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of greatest tv series ever . Seriously

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster said:

I don't think so.

Depends who prefers what. This is rather season focused on family, solving problem. Being superhero not only means to beat bad guys but also solve problems of social community, own relatives etc

Okay, but those aren't the things I watch a superhero show for, I watch a superhero show to watch a very powerful being fight other very powerful beings.

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends, but I liked the show.

Karnak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers