Avatar image for captainsweatpan
#1 Edited by CaptainSweatpan (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

I was just thinking about this and DBS has supidly amped the characters, not that they weren't stupidly powerful in DBZ (being able to completely foddorize the easily planetary level Frieza)

#2 Posted by Omnipotent94 (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainsweatpan: Not really. As you said DBZ character were always stupidly powerful. For me DBS is boring because it has a boring and predictable plot and they butchered Vegeta's character (especially in anime). DBS honestly feels like a bad fan fic.

#3 Posted by slimj87d (15680 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainsweatpan: you should read the latest chapters of the Manga. He and Vegeta have some pretty severe limitations.

#4 Posted by CaptainSweatpan (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d: I dont read the manga, I watch the anime

What limitations?

#5 Posted by CaptainSweatpan (1826 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Magian (152059 posts) - - Show Bio

Since there are characters that can fight on even grounds with him, I don't why is that a problem.

#7 Edited by slimj87d (15680 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainsweatpan: they don't have any resistance to people that can absorb and zap out their energy.

They're fighting a magic based character that can steal ki, and the character started of weak but pretty much zapped then dry and they even nearly died.

Goku even got scared and wanted to retreat with Vegeta, but so much energy was taken, Goku couldn't teleport and escape.

They pretty much died and got revived by a namekian boy.

#8 Edited by CaptainSweatpan (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d: I wouldn't call that limitations, I've always seen DB characters as people who probably have very little energy absorbion resistance abilities with what happened in the Buu Saga, it's nothing new really...

It's literally their biggest weakness

Avatar image for deactivated-5d07416730d08
#9 Posted by deactivated-5d07416730d08 (2261 posts) - - Show Bio

Goku is planet buster at his best. IDK why it's boring.

#10 Posted by CaptainSweatpan (1826 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5d07416730d08
#11 Posted by deactivated-5d07416730d08 (2261 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by CaptainSweatpan (1826 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by EmmaFrostXmen (3097 posts) - - Show Bio

He was always boring😴

#14 Posted by TheDeathstar (4440 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, he will become little boring once he starts busting Multiverses lmao. In all seriousness, it depends on plot.

#15 Posted by ByondEon (1530 posts) - - Show Bio

They are kinda boring. I don't like they went and amped them to low skyfather level.

#16 Posted by jashugan (6652 posts) - - Show Bio

It's boring and it isn't because he's powerful.

#17 Posted by gokuss4z (3423 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really, Goku has taken plenty hard of L's, I would agree with you he didn't have constantly stronger villains/other fighters to fight.

He's OP compared to other series but he's not even the strongest in his own verse

#18 Posted by CaptainSweatpan (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@byondeon: right? I don't believe any hero should be at that level

#19 Posted by ByondEon (1530 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainsweatpan: I have no problem with powerful heroes. But from Z to S they got a too big boost. I mean, Molecule Man isn't really a bad hero despite being top 5 most powerful Marvel characters.

#20 Posted by CaptainSweatpan (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@byondeon: yeah the jump was big, I never saw Molecule Man as a hero but then again I'm not an expert on him

#21 Posted by thatduderox (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on the writing. Goku is pretty relative against most of the main foes he comes up against in Super, so despite the power leap from Z, it's not that noticeable when you're watching. The only time I felt that it was too powerful it was boring was with Ultra Instinct during the tournament of power, and that's because I feel like Goku didn't earn that power. It was a dues ex machina to one up Jiren and sell toys and hasn't been seen since.

#22 Posted by ByondEon (1530 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainsweatpan: I would put him a hero in recent years, but he has been more of a villain at first then he was kind of neutral for a whole lot of years.

#23 Posted by Psy4 (325 posts) - - Show Bio

The shit is boring because it's boring. Power has nothing to do with it.

#24 Posted by ChaosReigns (194 posts) - - Show Bio

Dragon ball has always been about strength and power. It's only boring if the story is.

#25 Posted by baph (2288 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, just take him out of the planet and he'll die like a fish out of the water.

#26 Edited by CaptainSweatpan (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@baph: and that doesn't make sense, he can fight people who can make a planet explode with a tap of the finger and one shot ssj3 that completly fodderizes people who foddorize people who foddorize planetary beings but must still be confined to a planet?

That's overpowered to me for someone who needs to breathe air

#27 Posted by AlexTheBoss (18511 posts) - - Show Bio

Dragon ball has always been about strength and power. It's only boring if the story is.

#28 Posted by MetalJimmor (6579 posts) - - Show Bio

It isn't how strong he has become, it is how easy it is for him to get stronger now.

It doesn't matter who Goku fights anymore. He can bypass his limits over and over again mid-battle, constantly growing more powerful than whoever he is fighting on the spot. He can achieve whole new transformations mid-battle as well, and not only develop them but entirely master them in the span of a few minutes.

Goku achieving new levels of power used to be an event. He actually used to lose against strong foes regularly, then run off to lick his wounds, train, and come back ready for another round. He used to get seriously injured and need time to heal. Now at most he needs to rest for a minute or so before he is back to full power and can "break his limits" two or three times over the course of a single fight.

It kills the suspense of the battles. When two fighters did battle in DBZ you had a solid idea of how strong each was, and the big surprises came mostly from the revelation of hidden power being held back. But when they fought they each had their max, and they couldn't just blow passed that maximum until they spent years worth of time training to become stronger.

In Super the relative strength of fighters doesn't really matter because mid-battle powerups are so common. The training is basically background filler where as before it was a major component of the stories. Arguably just as interesting as the battles because the training sessions are where a lot of the character development came from.

That is just my opinion anyway. Super doesn't excite me like DBZ did and still does. I've lost that sense that Goku can actually lose and be seriously injured, which kills suspension for me.

#29 Posted by Ryokuma100 (1026 posts) - - Show Bio

Hes powerful one second and weak the next. It’s a complex situation

#30 Posted by Renny (3359 posts) - - Show Bio

It’s a terrible redundant show.

#31 Posted by adamTRMM (9340 posts) - - Show Bio

To me the DB universe ended after the Cell saga. And Goku is the main reason for that.

#32 Posted by NINJA-MASTER (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Current Goku isn't even in the top 10 strongest of his verse.

#33 Posted by johnsmjs36 (676 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, it would be boring if the opponents were weaker but they are not. The anime is boring because of quite predictable and stale plot, long fights, bad fight choreography ( compare dbs fight with broly movie), and need to constantly undermine other character. Manga is a bit better. They have a bit unique villain in the form of Moro. Zamasu was better than in the anime. The fight with Jiren for me made sense.

#34 Edited by MainJP (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it’s the fact that everyone else is so much weaker, thereby making them virtually useless, that it’s boring to watch.

No Caption Provided

You’ve got 9 to 11 or 15 hero characters with mostly the same powerset but with different techniques and skills that differ from one another... but only about 2 or 3 of them are relevant most of the time with the rest just being cheerleaders or being taken out of the action completely.

That’s boring. Goku not using his Power Pole and shooting a million Kamehameha‘s is also boring.

#35 Posted by XLR87T3 (10201 posts) - - Show Bio

Broly exists so no. Goku always has limits

#36 Edited by PrimelyGreat (638 posts) - - Show Bio

@metaljimmor said:

It isn't how strong he has become, it is how easy it is for him to get stronger now.

It doesn't matter who Goku fights anymore. He can bypass his limits over and over again mid-battle, constantly growing more powerful than whoever he is fighting on the spot. He can achieve whole new transformations mid-battle as well, and not only develop them but entirely master them in the span of a few minutes.

Goku achieving new levels of power used to be an event. He actually used to lose against strong foes regularly, then run off to lick his wounds, train, and come back ready for another round. He used to get seriously injured and need time to heal. Now at most he needs to rest for a minute or so before he is back to full power and can "break his limits" two or three times over the course of a single fight.

It kills the suspense of the battles. When two fighters did battle in DBZ you had a solid idea of how strong each was, and the big surprises came mostly from the revelation of hidden power being held back. But when they fought they each had their max, and they couldn't just blow passed that maximum until they spent years worth of time training to become stronger.

In Super the relative strength of fighters doesn't really matter because mid-battle powerups are so common. The training is basically background filler where as before it was a major component of the stories. Arguably just as interesting as the battles because the training sessions are where a lot of the character development came from.

That is just my opinion anyway. Super doesn't excite me like DBZ did and still does. I've lost that sense that Goku can actually lose and be seriously injured, which kills suspension for me.

This so much. It's the reason I still prefer DBZ over Super.

Also, Gohan vs Cell to me was one of the most epic battles in Anime history just for the fact that Goku wasn't the hero this time but his son. The whole leadup to that fight seeing Gohan train and Goku senses a strong power within him is DBZ at its finest. Nowadays, Goku just solves everyone's problems because you know he won't lose.