• 90 results
Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Maverick_6

From what I've seen, seeing the patterns and watching the chatter, CV has been on a downward spiral for a very long time. And this new merging seems to confirm it to me.

Of course, we incure problem after problem. Glitch after glitch. After Whisky media sold CV away, half of the staff who worked there got dropped, and now, with this probably being the lowest grossing site, it's been merged with gamespot. Newer problems arise from people not being able to access CV at work. Of course, perhaps they don't want to accomidate from that, but views and activity are going to drop irregardless. Which means less people viewing adds. Less money.

All these problems and the staff, so far, seem rather helpless to fix them all, no offense. A problem arises, someone tries to fix it, what's going to happen? How much of the old staff is even there. Even if they hire new staff, the new sfaff have to learn how everything is coded.

Purpose of this thread is to point something out and discuss it. Share thoughts and opinions. Of course, no feuding or anything, but state what you believe. All that good stuff. This isn't a battle or too controversial a topic, so I don't think there is much reason to gdt uncivilized, but I propose this question none the less.

Is comicvine dying?

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Negative.

mechwalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

From its point of creation on everything is dying.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Negative.

This. Been on this site for 5 years, been visiting it for 7, and it has only grown in popularity/members.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mysticmedivh

I wouldn't consider the changing hands of CV's ownership, occassional glitches/bugs, or employees leaving to work elsewhere an ominous sign that CV is dying. And people not being able to access CV from work is because of the .gamespot in the URL.

The only time CV would be dying is when existing users slowly become less and less active, when less and less new users are making accounts, and when the number of visitors to this site in general decline. That's dying. And by the looks of it I don't see that happening at the moment.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

not at all.

Avatar image for tsciallsolle3451
TSciallsolle3451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eh well what? Are you talking about CV as a whole? Or CV in the forums?

CV as a whole, I am not too sure.

CV forums, I would believe that it is at best in a stagnant state, if it is not in slow decline already - Unless someone here can prove me wrong.

Seems that many of you do not notice the current wave of technological disruptions - of which, social media is the most relevant to replacing forums for internet discussions. Unless CV forums reinvent itself to make itself relevant to internet users, it will move on from a stagnant to decline state.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Maybe someday, but this place seems far more lively than Anime Vice before it's demise.

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don`t think CV is dying but it has been on a decline several times.

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

I just wrote a really detailed post, and....the site ate it.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By never give up
Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe someday, but this place seems far more lively than Anime Vice before it's demise.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman1
AllStarHit-Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CV died when Babs left.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8bea6023431
deactivated-5a8bea6023431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say as long as Tony's around, the site will keep going.

I mean, he used to be the only staff member active on the site, while also working full-time as a math teacher, he obviously is pretty passionate.

That said, it will probably continue to anger people as new changes continue to make it more mainstream but that's been happening for a LONG time.

Remember June 6, 2008 when they launched CV 2.0? A whole bunch of user content was just completely erased and everyone was upset just like they are now and wondered why the site needed to join some game-oriented website/corporation nobody cared about. But everyone got over it (and the site did improve overall).

However, if you mean the general community just being too negative, than the site died a long time ago but so did Internet forums in general, they're all pretty much garbage.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God I hope not.

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I would say as long as Tony's around, the site will keep going.

I mean, he used to be the only staff member active on the site, while also working full-time as a math teacher, he obviously is pretty passionate.

That said, it will probably continue to anger people as new changes continue to make it more mainstream but that's been happening for a LONG time.

Remember June 6, 2008 when they launched CV 2.0? A whole bunch of user content was just completely erased and everyone was upset just like they are now and wondered why the site needed to join some game-oriented website/corporation nobody cared about. But everyone got over it (and the site did improve overall).

However, if you mean the general community just being too negative, than the site died a long time ago but so did Internet forums in general, they're all pretty much garbage.

I remember that.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More or less

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's not dying.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Nope

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

Sure it is . Just like it has been every time we've had a major change, and someone has made a thread like this....

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe slightly.

I've been on Comicvine for 5 years, and while I've seen fewer "regular" members keep posting, there's also been a lot of new users who regularly post.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the naruto fanboys are killing comic vine.

Insertnewname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@those_eyes: hey! Did you forget no hate here on naruto?

No Caption Provided

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

CV isn't dying (the actual site). It's more of veteran users have left the site. The site has more or less remained the same, but the users that made it great have been leaving one by one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6c6de088804
deactivated-5c6c6de088804

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought that all of them vanished like the Dwemers of TES. I see more OPM fanboys nowadays.

rickyrck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what are you talking about? its a website, it was never alive in the first place.

@those_eyes said:

I thought that all of them vanished like the Dwemers of TES. I see more OPM fanboys nowadays.

Said by Caped_baldy

SuperDrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of big names are gone, but new people are making big names for themselves. It won't die unless something else big happens.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The power of youth still pumps though it's veins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rickyrck said:

what are you talking about? its a website, it was never alive in the first place.

@caped_baldy said:
@those_eyes said:

Said by Caped_baldy

Welp, i do like OPM a lot but i don't go everywhere saying that he can one-shot universes, you know. That's the difference between a fan and a wanker.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it says Games in the url, I can no longer access the vine during my breaks at work. So sadly, I won't be posting as frequently or at all anymore.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#31  Edited By AssertingValor

There is more than one veteran on this topic so no it isn't dying, just ageing and moving slowly. Not as upbeat and exciting as it used to be for some people.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I've definitely lost my enthusiasm for it like I once had.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah.

Beata

rickyrck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@caped_baldy: thats trolling imo thats not even how punches work and i got you man i like opm too, i was joking.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rickyrck said:

@caped_baldy: thats trolling imo thats not even how punches work and i got you man i like opm too, i was joking.

Believe me, sometimes they are not trolling lol. Ah, no problem man.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By kcomicfan

No, I don't think this website is dying.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comic vine isn't alive,, it can't die : P

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheMan44

We are all dying. Every birthday is one year closer to death

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 746

Since i've sued comic vine activity has been up and down.

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't consider the changing hands of CV's ownership, occassional glitches/bugs, or employees leaving to work elsewhere an ominous sign that CV is dying. And people not being able to access CV from work is because of the .gamespot in the URL.

The only time CV would be dying is when existing users slowly become less and less active, when less and less new users are making accounts, and when the number of visitors to this site in general decline. That's dying. And by the looks of it I don't see that happening at the moment.

this pretty much summarized how I feel. I don't think I'll be leaving CV any time soon

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@slimj87d said:

Because it says Games in the url, I can no longer access the vine during my breaks at work. So sadly, I won't be posting as frequently or at all anymore.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least some people used to be able to access CV at work. I never could because it was registered under "Entertainment", which is blocked.

StormKing1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trust me, I've seen forums die and this is not the definition of dying.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

View counts are high. most threads are pretty dead tho

linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't think so.. But I sure miss some good old fights and arguments in the battle forums between expert veterans...now a days see less comic book fans more movie and TV fans...

linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's more dead than ever.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't think so.. But I sure miss some good old fights and arguments in the battle forums between expert veterans...now a days see less comic book fans more movie and TV fans...

That's because comic book companies weren't able to explore the comic book era in other mediums, on the contrary the comics medium is completely exposed to cannibalization from other mediums that portray the characters that born in the page.

In the comics medium there are very few people that can acknowledge the media/fiction evolution, basically comic book companies keep selling comics like they always did (constant pr cycles), and everyone around the comics medium supports it like its the natural and only way to keep going, there is absolutely no search and preoccupation to reinvent this medium, but in the current era there is so much content that born in comics (and appeals to comic book fans) in other mediums that the probability that the comics medium will keep losing readers is very high! And that scenario affects Comicvine and other sites more centered in the comics medium, sadly even who supposedly has a critic role and should think outside of the fan perspective isn't able to go beyond the everything is awesome mindset!

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:
@leatherface003 said:

That's because comic book companies weren't able to explore the comic book era in other mediums, on the contrary the comics medium is completely exposed to cannibalization from other mediums that portray the characters that born in the page.

In the comics medium there are very few people that can acknowledge the media/fiction evolution, basically comic book companies keep selling comics like they always did (constant pr cycles), and everyone around the comics medium supports it like its the natural and only way to keep going, there is absolutely no search and preoccupation to reinvent this medium, but in the current era there is so much content that born in comics (and appeals to comic book fans) in other mediums that the probability that the comics medium will keep losing readers is very high! And that scenario affects Comicvine and other sites more centered in the comics medium, sadly even who supposedly has a critic role and should think outside of the fan perspective isn't able to go beyond the everything is awesome mindset!

I slightly agree with you, except the fact is that Comic Sales reached an all time high in 2015, and is only expected to grow with all these movies and TV shows. Comics aren't going anywhere.