Is carol danvers officially became most hated comic book superhero of this decade ?

• 66 results
Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

thoughts ?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

If you are a comicsgate supporter perhaps, though they target any female character and their writers that take over from or take a seat next to the big guys.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

lol I seriously doubt that.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mimisalome

I don't think the general audience actually cared enough about the character to even hate her.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are a comicsgate supporter perhaps,though they target any female character and their writers that take over from or take a seat next to the big guys.

nope

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@outside_85 said:

If you are a comicsgate supporter perhaps,though they target any female character and their writers that take over from or take a seat next to the big guys.

nope

Well, those are pretty much the only ones who'd have a reason to park her at the top of a 'most hated' list. The character is boring and there is a lot of 'holier than thou' going around it, but it's not like she flies around strangling fan favourites.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: well from my experience I can tell you she is very likeable in YouTube

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 morpheus_  Moderator

She should be, but she gets a pass because girl power. You don't know hate if you weren't here when everyone was still blaming Iron Man about everything.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most people have no idea who or what she does

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see many comments suggesting that she is basically just a Green Lantern rip-off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb
deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She should be, but she gets a pass because girl power. You don't know hate if you weren't here when everyone was still blaming Iron Man about everything.

This. Most people don't even know about her character .

Avatar image for deactivated-5c08073ad6c36
deactivated-5c08073ad6c36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not even close.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Supermanthor

@biswaboxz: do you ever fill that way carol Danvers is what if green lantren and wonder woman had a child together lol ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanthor: Do u even knw that she had made love with his own son ? lol

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think there two "schools of thought" relating to "Danver-hate"

1st is the Comic book Danver that old comics books fans used to love until Marvel's diversity hire turned her into some social experiment lab rat and produced garbage story like the Civil War 2

2nd is this upcoming MCU Captain Marvel movie which nobody really cares about (well not as much as the mainstream Marvel characters like Spiderman, Hulk, or Ironman).

Some people see it as another cheap SJW attempt for girl power and represntation since MCU kinda lacks a main female character, so in that sense the character is hated for political reasons

other see it as a rip-off/copy-cat of Green Lantern, in that sense the character is hated for its lack of originality.

The movie trailers are kinda uninspired and the main actress performance is pretty bland so audience may not have that same interest on the movie and in general apathetic and less hyped about it

One could istretch and nterpret it as "hate",

i think it is more like "we don't really care about this Captain Marvel character, just give us Avengers 4 already "

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Supermanthor

@mimisalome: a reminder that ironam was not a mainstream hero until the movie came

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Supermanthor

@mimisalome: also original the captain Marvel's lore is much different than someone like green lantren .most of the people dosent know what they talking about

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mimisalome

@supermanthor said:

@mimisalome: a reminder that ironam was not a mainstream hero until the movie came

I don't think Ironman was that obscure as Danvers. He has been around in various media already, particularly cartoons and bunch of video games.

The comics fans behind Iron Man (which are significant) could have hyped the movie before it came out via words of mouth and that's when CBM/MCU is relatively fresh.

Danvers on the other hand doesn't have that following and exposure and for the MCU, and CBM in general, she is (way too) late comers that people couldn't help but compare her to other characters instead of qualifying her based on her own character merits.

Lately in comics, she maybe losing more fans than actually earning ones.

So no, i don't think Iron Man and Danvers are even comparable.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mimisalome: also original the captain Marvel's lore is much different than someone like green lantren .most of the people dosent know what they talking about

I doubt most MCU fans today actually read comics as far as the 70's 80's or 90's

So it doesn't really matter what they know about the actual lore of the character, its more about what they feel about the meta of the CBM genre.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mimisalome: yeah which is sad considering the awesomeness of old cosmic stories

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mimisalome: and about iron Man and Carol thing I agree even though both were b list heroes iron Man was much more popular than carol

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Michaelbn
@supermanthor said:

I don't think Ironman was that obscure as Danvers. He has been around in various media already, particularly cartoons and bunch of video games.

The comics fans behind Iron Man (which are significant) could have hyped the movie before it came out via words of mouth and that's when CBM/MCU is relatively fresh.

Danvers on the other hand doesn't have that following and exposure and for the MCU, and CBM in general, she is (way too) late comers that people couldn't help but compare her to other characters instead of qualifying her based on her own character merits.

Lately in comics, she maybe losing more fans than actually earning ones.

So no, i don't think Iron Man and Danvers are even comparable.

95% of this is QFT.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mimisalome

@supermanthor said:

@mimisalome: and about iron Man and Carol thing I agree even though both were b list heroes iron Man was much more popular than carol

I think most of the MCU fans will be annoyed if Danvers would just steal the show away from the established MCU characters.

I mean Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Capt, Widow, etc have several solo and cross over movies to build and develop their characters and many MCU fans had already established an emotional connection with these characters.

I would personally find it disappointing and quite inappropriate if the main star of the show would be some nobody that just came out of nowhere.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mimisalome: then if rumors are ture great ready for it fiege already said she will be the face of the next decade of mcu

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since when was she considered a Green Lantern rip-off?

samhmd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanthor said:

I think most of the MCU fans will be annoyed if Danvers would just steal the show away from the established MCU characters.

I mean Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Capt, Widow, etc have several solo and cross over movies to build and develop their characters and many MCU fans had already established an emotional connection with these characters.

I would personally find it disappointing and quite inappropriate if the main star of the show would be some nobody that just came out of nowhere.

I have enough faith in the MCU to not do something like that and have her overshadow and save everyone else from IW out of nowhere.

This isn't a SW situation where there was a huge timegap and the was story was already completed until a new writer came along to restart a finished story, this is something planned out by the original movie architect.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 anthp2000  Moderator

People are just salty af because she's going to be more powerful than Thor in the MCU. It's quite frankly silly, and a bit disgusting.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mimisalome: then if rumors are ture great ready for it fiege already said she will be the face of the next decade of mcu

Well im not really invested in the MCU stories as I see it more like a dumbs down version of the much superior comicbook counterpart.

So i wouldn't be losing any sleep for that.

I also wouldn't mind if Danvers becomes the future character Mascot for Marvel, as it is impossible for Marvel to keep Robert Downey Jr (and the rest of the main cast) forever.

But pulling that kind of narrative stunt is a literal Dues Ex Machina/Mary Sue BS.

It cheapens the entire "universe" when you can just spawn over-powered character from nowhere to resolve such over-arching story.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mimisalome

I think most people who said so don't read comics (Comics is pretty much irrelevant anyway since MCU is an entire universe on its own).

And they drew parallels and comparison between CBM movies.

Given that Green Lanter and Captain Marvel shared some very similar character premise (Cosmic Councils, Military Background)

It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that mainstream audience may think Captain Marvel borrows materials from the Green Lantern movie

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1 said:
@mimisalome said:
@supermanthor said:

I have enough faith in the MCU to not do something like that and have her overshadow and save everyone else from IW out of nowhere.

This isn't a SW situation where there was a huge timegap and the was story was already completed until a new writer came along to restart a finished story, this is something planned out by the original movie architect.

I used to share such similar faith.

Until they made the IW.

That story was just plain dumb.

WhyZoSerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it is still Superman as it should be.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37 Straight-Fire  Online

People are just salty af because she's going to be more powerful than Thor in the MCU. It's quite frankly silly, and a bit disgusting.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are just salty af because she's going to be more powerful than Thor in the MCU.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Supermanthor

@anthp2000: yeah actually in the comics Thor is a one or two tier behind her right

samhmd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1 said:
@mimisalome said:
@supermanthor said:

Until they made the IW.

It was better than BvS, Justice League, DOFP and Apocalypse.

Vulkanian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vulkanian

@anthp2000: MCU pushing “strong indepndint wahmen” so hard lmao.

Black Widow is basically female Cap. Random Valkyrie is able to beat Thor. Best warriors in Wakanda are all women. Smartest person in Wakanda is a teenage girl. Cap Marvel is going to be stronger than Hulk, Thor, and Dr. Strange even though she shouldn’t be.

Wonder why people aren’t hyped for Captain Marvel ?.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanthor: Carol was really powerful in comics , when she has her binary powers . And those things happened more than two decades or so ago . Even during those times people remembered her as an average character or people don't give a thing about her .

But Thor(Worthy) , Hulk and Thanos , Ultron got more and more powerful and popular with time and she is like a lilliput in front of them . But MCU has double standards .

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanthor: Carol was really powerful in comics , when she has her binary powers . And those things happened more than two decades or so ago . Even during those times people remembered her as an average character or people don't give a thing about her .

But Thor(Worthy) , Hulk and Thanos , Ultron got more and more powerful and popular with time and she is like a lilliput in front of them . But MCU has double standards .

yeah i agree

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator

@vulkanian said:

@anthp2000: MCU pushing “strong indepndint wahmen” so hard lmao.

Black Widow is basically female Cap. Random Valkyrie is able to beat Thor. Best warriors in Wakanda are all women. Smartest person in Wakanda is a teenage girl. Cap Marvel is going to be stronger than Hulk, Thor, and Dr. Strange even though she shouldn’t be.

Wonder why people aren’t hyped for Captain Marvel ?.

• And yet it's 10 years later and still not a solo film out for Nat
  • The Valkyrie is not some random chick from the 9 realms, she's Brunhilde, leader of the most elite armed force on Asgard that Thor looked up to since he was a fetus
  • Shuri is the smartest person in Wakanda in the comics too, and the Dora Milaje exist and are the most elite in the comics too
  • And what do you have to say about the fact that Thor can mop the floor with the Hulk right now, which isn't the case in the comics? Or that Iron Man has an armor that rivals the Hulk? Or that Captain America can swat Daredevil aside like a toddler? Or that Falcon can beat Jessica Jones in a fight? Of course that doesn't bother anybody, but you're so damn preoccupied with bashing a character and one of Marvel's decisions before those even appear in the MCU. That's just plain hypocrisy.

I don't give anything about how powerful Captain Marvel is going to be, and I don't care about how popular Black Widow is, but if you really cared about the MCU precisely following the comics instead of just being salty that your favourite big guys have competition just because Marvel made a right decision and decided to give a minority group proper representation, you wouldn't be throwing around unnecessary hate now. The MCU has always been independent from the comicbooks in terms of so many things, and yet people are only this salty now, that they decided to make this character more powerful than she is in the 616. Does that sound right to you?

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie said:

I think most people who said so don't read comics (Comics is pretty much irrelevant anyway since MCU is an entire universe on its own).

And they drew parallels and comparison between CBM movies.

Given that Green Lanter and Captain Marvel shared some very similar character premise (Cosmic Councils, Military Background)

It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that mainstream audience may think Captain Marvel borrows materials from the Green Lantern movie

A lot of characters have similar origins, but have different character traits, powers etc. Also, I thought this thread was referring to 616 Carol not MCU.

@anthp2000: yeah actually in the comics Thor is a one or two tier behind her right

No Carol has consistently been a mid tier, a little under Iron Man (before the CW2 fiasco) when she wasn’t Binary.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Supermanthor
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48 morpheus_  Moderator

• Shuri is the smartest person in Wakanda in the comics too, and the Dora Milaje exist and are the most elite in the comics too

Bullshit. They retconned that after giving the character a complete revamp to be tailored after the MCU version. T'Challa is the 8th smartest person in the world, Shuri is a random hothead.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 anthp2000  Moderator

@anthp2000 said:

Bullshit. They retconned that after giving the character a complete revamp to be tailored after the MCU version. T'Challa is the 8th smartest person in the world, Shuri is a random hothead.

Even if you're right, my point still stands. And I can just as easily say that in the MCU she's almost worthless in combat whereas in the comics she's undergone warrior training similar to T'Challa's.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1 said:
@mimisalome said:
@samhmd1 said:
@mimisalome said:
@supermanthor said:

Until they made the IW.

It was better than BvS, Justice League, DOFP and Apocalypse.

To be honest i couldn't finished watching BvS, I just couldn't recognized the characters specially Superman/Clark Kent. It's not the Superman I used to know.

And thus I couldn't criticize the film, (though I remember making jokes about the misunderstood masterpiece meme)

Justice League, I never watched it.

Apocalypse looks so cheesy that i dropped it immediately

I kinda enjoy DOFP more than IW though.