Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#1 Edited by Ready_4_Madness (14882 posts) - - Show Bio

I’ve never read it, is it a must read?

#2 Posted by Morpheus_ (34237 posts) - - Show Bio

It's unnecessary. Well drawn, but a boring read. The only time a year long format really worked for DC was with 52, everything else has been subpar or terrible.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#3 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (14882 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by Aros001 (3551 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasn't terrible but it was kind of pointless. No spoilers, but the entire point of the series seemed just to be to bring back a character most people didn't even realize was dead. That's all Brightest Day and everything it puts the resurrected heroes through amounted to, and the majority of the resurrected heroes have little to no interaction with the new one brought back, though even the payoff to that wasn't that great.

Pretty much the only thing I remember vividly from Brightest Day was that I really liked the stuff between Deadman and Dove. That was touching.

#5 Posted by Morpheus_ (34237 posts) - - Show Bio

@ready_4_madness: The same story could had been told in 4-5 issues but they crafted a seemingly complex event out of it to capitalize on the success of Blackest Night. Not really much else to it.

#6 Posted by Veshark (10498 posts) - - Show Bio

It's unnecessary. Well drawn, but a boring read. The only time a year long format really worked for DC was with 52, everything else has been subpar or terrible.

I'm halfway through 52 right now and loving it. Damn shame DC never got the weekly format series down pat, I've heard bad things about both Batman Eternal and Futures End, and I was actually partially interested in the former.

#7 Posted by Aros001 (3551 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:
@morpheus_ said:

I'm halfway through 52 right now and loving it. Damn shame DC never got the weekly format series down pat, I've heard bad things about both Batman Eternal and Futures End, and I was actually partially interested in the former.

If you're ever interested in Futures End but don't want to read through it all, Linkara does a review of the entire thing on his Youtube channel, as well as Countdown, another DC weekly series that didn't do well.

I think the problem with doing a weekly series, with the goal of having it last of a year, is that it tends to use so many subplots to pad out its story and it all eventually turns it into an unfocused mess at the end because there's so much going on or a complete waste of time because only one or two things that happened actually mattered in the conclusion.

Another problem could be that the weekly series are typically used to build up to a big crossover event, meaning that in the case of Countdown and Futures End, anything that was actually that important didn't even happen in the weekly series but rather the event comic. 52's main goal was just to show what'd happened in DC's big "One Year Later" timeskip after Infinite Crisis. It wasn't building up to anything, it was just trying to be a cohesive story.

#8 Posted by Veshark (10498 posts) - - Show Bio

@aros001

Eh, Linkara's a little too permanently enraged for me, especially when it comes to subpar comics. I appreciate his enthusiasm and passion for the material, though.

Countdown does indeed have an atrocious reputation. I'm honestly surprised that 52 turned out as well as it did. Considering it had four writers in the kitchen, it was a largely untested idea, and the fact that they had to explain all the subplots of the missing year for the One Year Later books? It's incredible it all worked out, while also giving much needed development to B and C-listers like the Question and Black Adam.

I really wanted to check out Batman Eternal because I enjoy Snyder's run, and the idea of a giant Bat-Family Gotham story sounds like good fun. Reminds me of the old Bat crossovers like No Man's Land. I heard Batman and Robin Eternal was even worse, though.

#9 Posted by The_Red_Devil (4283 posts) - - Show Bio

@ready_4_madness: TBH , I enjoyed Brightest Day , it wasn't all that boring and really had some fun moments.

You should go for it.

#10 Edited by Magian (150947 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_ said:

I will agree with this. Not to mention that IIRC, the New 52 happened not long after it was over, so it lead to nothing really.

#11 Posted by TDK_1997 (18613 posts) - - Show Bio

I read it a while ago, can't remember much from it tbh but I remember that I really liked it. As it was mentioned before, at times the book tends to get boring, losing its touch for a while, but at the end it was a satisfying book to read through. Also an addition to the good storytelling was the interior art which was great imo. I would highly recommend the book if you are interested in any of the characters that are appearing.

#12 Posted by Morpheus_ (34237 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: I haven't bothered with Futures End, but Batman Eternal, Batman and Robin Eternal, Countdown and Brightest Day range in quality and ultimately, nothing is lost if a reader does not take the ample required time to complete them.

52 is proof of what happens if you put 4 masters in a room and ask them to come up with a story worth telling. It never felt boring or forced and for a book published on a weekly basis that is a tremendous accomplishment. I can't recommend it enough.

It's also very overlooked.