Is Black Panther (2018) overrated?

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Is Black Panther (2018) overrated? (362 votes)

Yes 59%
No 41%
No Caption Provided

• 
Avatar image for simon_the_digger
Simon_the_digger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Dunno, never saw it

CyanIsHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It's my favorite movie in the MCU currently, but Black Panther has always been my favorite comic book character so there may be bias.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it really is better than the dark knight...

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it really is better than the dark knight...

You think so? It's hard for me to say, to be honest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

R.I.P TJ849

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very.

But it's still a good film imo.

Wrathofthebrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Wrathofthebrad

Yes like Wonder Woman was at first, but Black Panther is still truly a good movie.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg: Renchamp always acts savage when he bans people lol

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a really damn good film. But as with everything that receives a lot of praise comes the asking of if it deserves the praise it gets.

It's a weird response to all popular films. "But is it really that good?" As if everyone rated the film 16/10 and claiming as a godsend from on high rather than the reality of a majority of people mostly just having a positive reaction to the film for similar reasons.

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By Static Shock

@thelurker: Lol. Much appreciated.

@amonfire1776: I feel you. I don’t think one is better than the other, overall. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Over-politicized I think.

GodSaveMeNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it safe to say this is the closest vote seen on comic vine, when over 200 people voted?

No Caption Provided

OT and repeating myself: yes, it absolutely was; despite being a very good film. It simply doesn't deserve this TDK level praise everyone lobs it.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thelurker: That’s wassup. Both of my parents are Igbo as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49375365792
deactivated-5e49375365792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EICHHOLTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

generally great movie and liked it a lot. but isn't the greatest superhero movie ever like people talked it up to be.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#221  Edited By Stahlflamme

Not more than any popculture thing now that people need to call something the best thing ever or a piece of crap. Everytime there is a new MCU movie coming out there is talk how its the best yet on some side and a lot of those opinions kinda cool off overtime.

johanshieh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just like WW, Black Panther had too much political and social justice in it. they are both good movies, but they are definitely not the best cbm or best movie of all time.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Necromancer76

Good movie but it's hyped up to be one of the best movies of all time, which isn't true.

There is a reason I don't listen to Rotten Tomatoes. The fact that they think it's the greatest movie of all time makes me cry on the inside.

Then again, they think the Last Jedi is good too so... makes since.

On IMDB, however... Black Panther is 7.8. Which is fine.

madcrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

generally great movie and liked it a lot. but isn't the greatest superhero movie ever like people talked it up to be.

Who's' talking it up to be? I've mostly seen people at least on this forum say its good to very good/great but not the best comic film ever. Most critics loved it but I haven't see a ton say its better than Logan/The Dark Knight from youtubers/RT critics.

Something can be a landmark film without necessarily being the best film in it's genre.

Is it a top 5 comic film all time debatable sure? I would say it's top 10. But then again that's my opinion

And ever if some are saying it's the greatest superhero film so what? It's all subjective anyway. Chris Nolan thinks it'll get an Oscar nom and I consider him to be a great filmmaker.

I'm sure some people think Thor Ragnarok is the best superhero film in their eyes but that doesn't make it so and doesn't mean it isn't.

madcrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By madcrusher

@johanshieh said:

Just like WW, Black Panther had too much political and social justice in it. they are both good movies, but they are definitely not the best cbm or best movie of all time.

Wait so a film that has too much political or social justice in it is disqualified from being the best cbm even if it's technically very good?

And do you have a problem with social justice or politics in general? or only in your films? By your logic any film dealing with these themes can never be great cbms.

I guess you didn't like Winter Soldier since it dealt with national security issues?!?

madcrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good movie but it's hyped up to be one of the best movies of all time, which isn't true.

There is a reason I don't listen to Rotten Tomatoes. The fact that they think it's the greatest movie of all time makes me cry on the inside.

Dude no one actually said it's the greatest movies of all time. Who's hyping it to the be the best movie of all time? RT critics? Go through these forums and most people haven't ever said that. People are getting upset it's mentioned as best CBM of all time

Also you realized 97% on RT references the percentage of critics who thought the film was decent to good right? it's average rating is an 8.2 out of 10.

I think it's since been removed from that greatest film list if that makes you feel better.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@necromancer76 said:

Dude no one actually said it's the greatest movies of all time. Who's hyping it to the be the best movie of all time? RT critics? Go through these forums and most people haven't ever said that. People are getting upset it's mentioned as best CBM of all time

Also you realized 97% on RT references the percentage of critics who thought the film was decent to good right? it's average rating is an 8.2 out of 10.

I think it's since been removed from that greatest film list if that makes you feel better.

I scrolled through the thread and saw it rated above Citizen Kane and Wizard of Oz in a RT list. If that's not the case anymore, then I'm good.

johanshieh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madcrusher: That's not what i meant, how good of a movie shouldn't be judged by their political stance or the race or gender casts are, they should be judge from their stories, screen play etc. Like some people said if you don't like WW or BP, you're sexist or racist. If a movie is political or racial themed, they should be judge from how well it present and showcase the idea, not by simply contains the ideas of them.

WhyZoSerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both WW and BP are great movies despite all the political crap involved there. If Diana and Killmonger were just superheroine and villain, the movies would be GREAT. But no, the political mumbo-jumbo made them just fine. So they are not overrated at all, they are underapreciated because that stuff.

madcrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By madcrusher

@johanshieh said:

@madcrusher: That's not what i meant, how good of a movie shouldn't be judged by their political stance or the race or gender casts are, they should be judge from their stories, screen play etc. Like some people said if you don't like WW or BP, you're sexist or racist. If a movie is political or racial themed, they should be judge from how well it present and showcase the idea, not by simply contains the ideas of them.

Please show me verifiable proof that this film is being judged solely or mostly based on race. a lot of people lob acquisitions on these threads with zero evidence or anecdotal evidence at best. have you spoken to or polled every RT critic that gave this film a good score? Or every vine member? What's the political stance of the movie that it's being judged by? Please enlighten the thread(not sarcasm).

Also need proof - where have you seen people saying your are racist or sexist if you hate these films? has anyone on this forum done that to you? Also you don't know the hearts and minds of everyone who saw both films. Are you telling me there aren't people that watched any of these films that didn't like them for racial reasons or due to misogyny?

We simply don't know every reason people didn't like the film unless they tell us and even then we have to take that with a grain of salt because they might not want to tell the truth in order to avoid being offensive. Lobbing accusations and making generalizations without any empirical data or facts is problematic.

your last sentence is perfect. I feel the film presented those racial/ political themes in very coherent fashion, nuanced at times and direct in other instance. Now if you disagree there that's fine. But simply not liking themes doesn't make the film bad. If you don't like the presentation or feel they weren't made clear enough then that's another argument.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@static_shock: I can respect that...I am glad you can understand...

johanshieh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madcrusher: I was in a Facebook comic page, when BP came out someone posted that everyone should go watch it because it's good and people who weren't excited were racist. He's black and I'm asian, asians are normally ignored or marginalized in most of the racial issues, nut that's not the point. I'm not saying people can't like them for racial reasons or due to misogyny, but that's not the case for me. BP is a great movie but I don't like it as cbms like Watchmen, after all, it all comes to personal preference, I know someone who find TDK slow pace and boring; and I respect all opinions. I'm sure some people think BP is the best cbm ever, but it's not for me.

TheParadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

madcrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madcrusher: I was in a Facebook comic page, when BP came out someone posted that everyone should go watch it because it's good and people who weren't excited were racist. He's black and I'm asian, asians are normally ignored or marginalized in most of the racial issues, nut that's not the point. I'm not saying people can't like them for racial reasons or due to misogyny, but that's not the case for me. BP is a great movie but I don't like it as cbms like Watchmen, after all, it all comes to personal preference, I know someone who find TDK slow pace and boring; and I respect all opinions. I'm sure some people think BP is the best cbm ever, but it's not for me.

agreed!!

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it's overrated on a quality scale. IMO, it's a solid 6.5-7, not even the best MCU movie. I think people are conflating it's quality with it's....importance, I guess? Like it's importance as a film is diminished if it's not also an extremely good, near perfect movie. I disagree. I can look at the movie from one perspective and be delighted that I have some great representation in a super hero movie. Hell, i'm literally growing my hair out in a Killmonger inspired style right now. I was going to cut it before watching this movie. But, from another perspective, I can't help but pick it apart like I would any other movie.

kroczilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

definitely overrated.

madcrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it's overrated on a quality scale. IMO, it's a solid 6.5-7, not even the best MCU movie. I think people are conflating it's quality with it's....importance, I guess? Like it's importance as a film is diminished if it's not also an extremely good, near perfect movie. I disagree. I can look at the movie from one perspective and be delighted that I have some great representation in a super hero movie. Hell, i'm literally growing my hair out in a Killmonger inspired style right now. I was going to cut it before watching this movie. But, from another perspective, I can't help but pick it apart like I would any other movie.

Overrated on quality? ok .

No conflation at least not to me. From the comments I've seen on this board people think it's a good to great film. I've rarely seen anyone say it's bad or awful on forums or in real life. I feel people just don't like what they feel is over praise. There has been tons of overrated films yet this one is a target of continued discussion. It gives the appearance that some people have an agenda to diminish this even though general consensus is at least a good film for some reason.

Maybe Logan and Dark Knight got the same treatment but I don't know to be honest.

It's a very good to great film but it also has cultural relevance. I believe both things can be true but apparently a lot of viners believe it's not possible which makes no sense but I digress. The narrative/plot is fairly easy to follow. the only parts I'll criticize somewhat are the weak CGI end fight sequences and predictable big bad fight.

It's not the best MCU movie but even that's debatable to an extent. I have seen very few people say it's near perfect. Most films aren't near perfect anyways. But even films like Logan, Dark Knight and Winter Soldier , can be picked apart. There are plot inconsistencies in every great film but we don't diminish them. I feel like people see a high RT score or Cinemascore now they feel they must over critique the film since they feel it's not the best to them to counterbalance the praise.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:

Overrated on quality? ok .

No conflation at least not to me. From the comments I've seen on this board people think it's a good to great film. I've rarely seen anyone say it's bad or awful on forums or in real life. I feel people just don't like what they feel is over praise. There has been tons of overrated films yet this one is a target of continued discussion. It gives the appearance that some people have an agenda to diminish this even though general consensus is at least a good film for some reason.

Maybe Logan and Dark Knight got the same treatment but I don't know to be honest.

It's a very good to great film but it also has cultural relevance. I believe both things can be true but apparently a lot of viners believe it's not possible which makes no sense but I digress. The narrative/plot is fairly easy to follow. the only parts I'll criticize somewhat are the weak CGI end fight sequences and predictable big bad fight.

It's not the best MCU movie but even that's debatable to an extent. I have seen very few people say it's near perfect. Most films aren't near perfect anyways. But even films like Logan, Dark Knight and Winter Soldier , can be picked apart. There are plot inconsistencies in every great film but we don't diminish them. I feel like people see a high RT score or Cinemascore now they feel they must over critique the film since they feel it's not the best to them to counterbalance the praise.

No conflation on your part? Didn't you try to come at me just for saying that part of BP's box office success was due to it's politicization?

I also think you have a bit a recency bias. BP is not being singled out for being overrated. Just a few months ago people were calling WW overrated (which it is is). Actually, any comic book movie that comes out gets the standard "is it overrated" thread. So, there's no agenda. BP is just new and completely exceeded expectations at a level no one really expected. So, of course it's going to get a little more attention than others.

Logan got the "overrated" treatment. TDK didn't, partly because it came out a decade ago and partly because it's legitimate Oscar level material.

Yes, there is a cultural importance to the film. If you think the movie is very good-great then that's cool, I just don't agree. It's good at best to me.

Ok, great, like I said, no one is picking on BP. If you think it's great, then great. Just don't come at people who think otherwise, or think other factors, outside of quality, might have been at play in it's success.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BP was just another Marvel movie and it's not important at all, imo.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

BP was just another Marvel movie and it's not important at all, imo.

Well, I wouldn't say it's unimportant. It has a pretty obvious cultural significance at this point, which I think is a good thing. However, all that press about it being unlike any MCU movie before it is all false unless the only metric was the number of black people.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDK didn't, partly because it came out a decade ago and partly because it's legitimate Oscar level material

TDK also got the overrated treatment. Just about every critically-acclaimed movie does. Everyone can't be pleased.

However, TDK came out ten years ago during an era in which superhero films were just gaining ground and becoming their own genre. Part of the reason why I can't say if it's better than Black Panther or otherwise. TDK's only competition was Iron Man at the time.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@buttersdaman000 said:
TDK didn't, partly because it came out a decade ago and partly because it's legitimate Oscar level material

TDK also got the overrated treatment. Just about every critically-acclaimed movie does. Everyone can't be pleased.

However, TDK came out ten years ago during an era in which superhero films were just gaining ground and becoming their own genre. Part of the reason why I can't say if it's better than Black Panther or otherwise. TDK's only competition was Iron Man at the time.

I love Black Panther - it's one of the best superhero movies ever made - but The Dark Knight is better. Regardless of whether or not it came out when competition was weak, I can watch it today and still say it is better than Black Panther.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Black Panther - it's one of the best superhero movies ever made - but The Dark Knight is better. Regardless of whether or not it came out when competition was weak, I can watch it today and still say it is better than Black Panther.

Hmm....

Better writing, for sure. Better plot, definitely. Black Panther excels in fight choreography, costume design, visual effects, original score, and cinematography, however. I think the acting between both movies are on par, though. It's also difficult for me to call TDK a superhero film; it blurs the lines between that and crime noir themes. That's just me, though. I don't even think they're comparable, on top of the ten year gap.

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're showing Black Panther where I work and people that watched it there repeatedly ask if I think it was excellent.

I usually tell them it was really good especially because of what the villain's motivation and ideals were compared to the majority of MCU villains. He's better in a lot of aspects. I also tell them the movie isn't really anything new....... If you're someone who doesn't join a hype train to watch CBMs.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@static_shock said:
@theamazingspidey said:

Hmm....

Better writing, for sure. Better plot, definitely. Black Panther excels in fight choreography, costume design, visual effects, original score, and cinematography, however. I think the acting between both movies are on par, though. It's also difficult for me to call TDK a superhero film; it blurs the lines between that and crime noir themes. That's just me, though. I don't even think they're comparable, on top of the ten year gap.

The Dark Knight is such a well-written film. Both films deal with complex themes, but The Dark Knight offers a more nuanced explanation of them, and is such an intense movie - the score is terrific, even better then Black Panther IMO (even though both have great scores), and is consistently great, whereas the third act of Black Panther treads into CGI boss battle territory and some of the action feels weightless. I love both movies, but I'm going to have to give this to The Dark Knight in terms of which is the better one. That said, Ledger's Joker is so good in TDK, that watching the rest of the film can feel a bit of a drag at times. Black Panther is more enjoyable and an easier watch throughout, Boseman is a better lead than Bale, and I prefer the side-characters and supporting cast in Black Panther (excluding Ledger).

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried avoiding this thread but DANG... @static_shock was dropping that heat! Glad you are still on here.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dark Knight is such a well-written film. Both films deal with complex themes, but The Dark Knight offers a more nuanced explanation of them, and is such an intense movie - the score is terrific, even better then Black Panther IMO (even though both have great scores), and is consistently great, whereas the third act of Black Panther treads into CGI boss battle territory and some of the action feels weightless. I love both movies, but I'm going to have to give this to The Dark Knight in terms of which is the better one. That said, Ledger's Joker is so good in TDK, that watching the rest of the film can feel a bit of a drag at times. Black Panther is more enjoyable and an easier watch throughout, Boseman is a better lead than Bale, and I prefer the side-characters and supporting cast in Black Panther (excluding Ledger).

To each his own.

I disliked the Keysi Fighting Method used for the fight choreography in the TDK trilogy. It simply wasn't entertaining to watch most of the time.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

No, it’s not overrated. You either liked it or you didn’t. To each their own. Everyone can’t be pleased. That’s said, the movie isn’t for everyone.

As far as the movie being too political (whoever said that shit), the best superhero films have usually have a political agenda in them. Captain America: The Winter Soldier and The Dark Knight are two examples. No one complained about them being too political though. Strange. Black Panther being too political isn’t the problem. The problem is that the majority isn’t going to be able to relate to the movie.

EDIT: Fox's X-Men films have a political agenda as well. No one complains about that, though.....

Good point bringing up Winter Soldier and Dark Knight. I was arguing with another poster in a thread claiming the film was only successful because it was "politicized" by the media. It was only "politicized" after the film had broken many records. These types believe any minority film that is a success must have some bias political agenda for its success. They forget that this film had a director that had many homeruns and the many star power actors behind it from Michael B Jordan, Lupita, the actor from Get Out, Angela Basset, etc,etc. Many people I know who are not into comic book films state they loved it because it was "different." And not just Black viewers. This seems to be the common talking point for those who enjoyed the film.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By Static Shock

@king_stranglehold_da_first said:

I tried avoiding this thread but DANG... @static_shock was dropping that heat! Glad you are still on here.

Yeah, man. It's all good. Someone in particular felt the need to talk about some shit they didn't fully understand (and probably never will), so you know me. I had to speak my mind on it. There are few others that are doing the same, but I got my point across, so I don't need to address them.

It's different if you didn't like the movie or had some criticisms on the movie's quality. That's something else entirely.

@king_stranglehold_da_first said:

Good point bringing up Winter Soldier and Dark Knight. I was arguing with another poster in a thread claiming the film was only successful because it was "politicized" by the media. It was only "politicized" after the film had broken many records. These types believe any minority film that is a success must have some bias political agenda for its success. They forget that this film had a director that had many homeruns and the many star power actors behind it from Michael B Jordan, Lupita, the actor from Get Out, Angela Basset, etc,etc. Many people I know who are not into comic book films state they loved it because it was "different." And not just Black viewers. This seems to be the common talking point for those who enjoyed the film.

Let's put it this way. Politics are okay to the majority when it's about them or it benefits them. If it's about minorities, it's a big deal. We know what it is. LOL.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@static_shock said:

No, it’s not overrated. You either liked it or you didn’t. To each their own. Everyone can’t be pleased. That’s said, the movie isn’t for everyone.

As far as the movie being too political (whoever said that shit), the best superhero films have usually have a political agenda in them. Captain America: The Winter Soldier and The Dark Knight are two examples. No one complained about them being too political though. Strange. Black Panther being too political isn’t the problem. The problem is that the majority isn’t going to be able to relate to the movie.

EDIT: Fox's X-Men films have a political agenda as well. No one complains about that, though.....

Do people seriously think the movie was a success because it was politicised? 95% of moviegoers couldn't give a damn about politics. I don't think you can deny that a lot of PoC went out to support it, but if anyone's going to claim it got good reviews or is loved because of politics, that's just an egregious statement.