Is Batman v. Superman a misunderstood masterpiece?

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By ganon15

Poll Is Batman v. Superman a misunderstood masterpiece? (217 votes)

Yes 26%
No 74%
Why or why not?
Why or why not?

• 
Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Batman3000

It's misunderstood. Masterpiece is a stretch.

the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it's simply bad movie.

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Chris-Sama

No.

BvS was pure garbage,

Everybody understands it's pure garbage.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By brucerogers

No. And thats all there is to say about it

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MarvelandDCfan24

Didn't match the hype and was simply a rushed mess

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha...hahaha...ha...

no

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's over hated but it's no masterpiece

Drmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Drmagic

No

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No. It was utter shite.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gotoucanario

I think people are in general overly critical and nitpicky due to the initial backlash from the critics bias.

That said, OP must be trolling, I would've put it as a underrated alright to good movie but never a masterpiece.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084
deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's misunderstood. Masterpiece is a stretch.

Stefano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MAZAHS117

It's a very ambitious cbm I'll say. It injects some interesting themes, challenges and struggles that I think many people don't typically want to see of the two title characters as well, in addition to what many may come to expect of a big budget cbm were everything is all happy with a nice bow wrapped around it at the end. The theaterical cut is a poorly put together film, while the Ultimate cut massively fixes things (for me at least) and makes it a great cbm i feel.

A masterpiece tho? ...nah. That title is awarded to films the level of The Godfather parts 1&2, ALIEN, Pulp Fiction, Schindlers List, The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, TDK, JAWS, Saving Private Ryan, Inception, Blade Runner, No Country for Old Men etc…just to name a few. These are Masterpiece films

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahahaha.

No.

Thanks for the laugh though.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on who you ask.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

BvS was pure garbage,

Everybody understands it's pure garbage.

ComicExplor3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Complete trash,this was DCs chance to come through with biggest comic book movie ever.i understand there was no joker. Heath ledger was dead but had they cast Christain Bale im tellin you the movie would have been alot better. Ben affleck ruined the movie plus the bad writing..complete trash but it doesnt matter the studio made hundreds of millions..thats all that matters..

Cheers

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. It's wasn't the worst thing ever, but it was a muddled mess of a movie.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Penguin-Dust: And more boring than Ang's Lee Hulk.

theCrazyBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah

SuperGoku17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it's simply bad movie.

Terrible movie bad plot and a bad doomsday. Only WW made the movie interesting. The special edition is better though

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

underrated/overhated

Not a masterpiece, but not terrible.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

It's a piece of shite.... but I guess I'm just to stupid to understand it's brilliance/I'm a huge Marvel fanboy/Not a fan according to Snyder/Blind Fanboys/The Studio/The actors.

higherpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26 higherpower  Moderator

it's the worse thing out of DCEU

LordWhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's not a masterpiece, given that even the Ultimate Edition still has some pretty big flaws in it (for example, for a movie called Batman v Superman it has very little of the two main characters even interacting with each other), but it certainly is underrated and overly hated. It certainly shouldn't be labeled as one of the worst comic book movies of all time like some claim it is (just try to claim that the UC is worse than Supergirl, Electra, Catwoman, or the majority of the Marvel studio movies before the MCU was started with Iron Man).

I think a big factor is how competitive the MCU and DCEU are right now with fans. This was supposed to be the DCEU's big movie and thus some of the disappointment for it not living up to what it could and maybe should have been. So on one side you have DC fans who don't want to accept that the movie does have flaws that hurt the film and on the other side you have fans of the MCU who act like it is nothing but flaws unlike most of the MCU movies. Think of it like american football. It's not usually the teams or the game that's the problem, but the fans who act like complete a$$holes to each other in the name of their teams.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By jumpstart55
  • Thought it was complete Dog Shit when i first saw it in theaters.
  • But after watching the Ultimate Cut i can honestly say it was an awesome movie right up there with the V for Vendetta and Watchmen films as these outside of the box(i.e less traditional upbeat colorful CBMs)..It raises alot of serious questions and kinda makes you think about human nature.
  • While i wouldn't rank it as highly as X-Men Days of Future Past,The Avengers, First Class, Winter Solider or the Dark Knight...Mainly due to being so different and just overall a less enjoyable, less engaging and less fun of a film...Id say it was pretty good and shouldnt really be compared to other CBMs its more in line with films like V for Vendetta,Watchmen as these weird dark, overly, stylistic, Cynical films that sorta deconstruct the Superhero genre in a sense.
  • So no it damn sure aint no misunderstand masterpiece..lol... But its certainly overly criticized for being less traditional then your usual Superman,Lex Luthor and Batman movie portrayals from the past...But if you can stomach the fact these arent the same beloved characters from the comics...And instead are these weird elseworlds versions, then you'll find the film infinitely more enjoyable.....(Well Supes inst really that much different its just that dark and gritty, brooding tone of the movie offsets alot of his charm and charisma...You can put a diamond in mud, and yea it'll still shine but untimely its just a diamond in the dirt..I.e lacking those finals touches that would make it truly special.
Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a decent movie

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Revan-

Best movie of all time. Doomsday's look was the best part. Also Luthor. He was superior to this comic book counterpart.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a3162faeafe3
deactivated-5a3162faeafe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jumpstart55: BvS is okay to horrible depending on who you talk to. Watchmen was objectively awful, certainly can't justifiably be compared to V for Vendetta.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By Jgames

At best the director cut was okay, so NO!

Watchmen on the other hand ia a misunderstood masterpiece.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah and Alex Jones is a misunderstood genius.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@haha_cha_cha: Objectively awful? A lot of people like Watchmen.

To hate the movie, is to hate the comic

Best movie of all time. Doomsday's look was the best part. Also Luthor. He was superior to this comic book counterpart.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Revan-
RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a troll thread, but ill bite knowingly

Everyone knows its not a masterpiece, still, it's a bit overhated for a variety of reasons that have already been pointed out, but the real reason, the #1 cause of the nerdrage this movie ensues, is because it failed to challenge the MCU

Avatar image for godkillerspidey
GodKillerSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was doomed from the start. There's no way they could've lived up to that hype with no buildup films. It took Marvel years to build a shared cinematic universe, DC tried it on its second film, and it obviously failed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A movie for dumb people who want to feel like they are smart.

A turd with a few pieces of gold in it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a3162faeafe3
deactivated-5a3162faeafe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: 'To hate the movie is to hate the comic.'

100% wrong.

The movie either contradicts or otherwise distracts from the themes and tones that made the book so great.

Prime example, Snyder's weird 'violence fetish'. Due to this strange inclination, the ageig-should-be-fat- nite owl and spetre are unnecessarily brutal in both of their big fight scenes, which weren't even supposed to be 'big' fight scenes which was the point (and if I remember right they even killed someone[s]) and they relish SOLEY in that fact. Instead of it merely being a thrill that gives owl the confidence to shake off (or arguably step into) his midlife crisis rut, they now seem visably aroused by the maiming of criminals (an act which WAS unique to Rorschach and part of the reason he was met with apprehension and feared by the hero community). They're no longer morally complex people but are strangely bloodthirsty 2D do-gooders. To add to that, the stylized violence makes these regular people seem like supermen instead of regular people which is one of the main tenets that made the story work. No more ordinary people doing extraordinary things by living out thrill seeking and at times self-indulgent fantasies. That part being pointed out by comedian is one of the biggest points of criticism from the book. He blatantly calls out those old super tropes that other comics were steeped in.

Also there's the fact that Adrian telegraphs his 'evil' intent. It's little suprise that he's the 'villain'. He also is decidely less remorseful in his act making it harder to see him as anything other than a villain. Which RUINS the point of the character. Adrian was a warm, compassionate character. No doubt until the end he was a good, and at they very least no reason to suspect he has some 'nefarious' sceme right away.

There's so much more but I don't want to derail the thread. The sum is, the movie focuses on all the wrong things and the story suffers immensely for it, and the subtle changes in character personalities holds them back from being fully fleshed as they were in the source material.

I would go as far to say you AREN'T a fan of the original work if you think the movie is one and the same in terms of quality.

I don't mind things changing in movie adaptations, most times I prefer to see somethig different than what i have already read. But these changes affect the themes that made watchmen watchmen. There were careless changes made by those two over eager writers and one over eager director.

That being said...Rorschach was perfect, and comedian was good which is a shame because the rest of the movie was trash.

Avatar image for general_disarray
General_Disarray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I think Zack Snyder took way too much heat for this movie. Watchmen and 300 show that he's a capable director when he's got a good story to work with. The writers should've received more of the blame, plus with a movie as big as this there was no doubt tonnes of studio pressure.

I for one think it's not bad, no masterpiece though. Some good scenes, nice aesthetic, but kind of messy. Lex was cast badly as well imo.

WeAreTheFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean people in 1980s would've probably hated The Dark Knight for being too dark. And it would've probably been rated R

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Of course

People can't accept that Snyder is the new Stanley Kubrick and that BvS was a movie ahead of our times.

TinyFord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Perhaps, we will only know when we see Justice League and wonderwoman and flash to see if the start was good

Bardock52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people are in general overly critical and nitpicky due to the initial backlash from the critics bias.

That said, OP must be trolling, I would've put it as a underrated alright to good movie but never a masterpiece.

^

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah and just dropped off a misunderstood masterpiece in my toilet...

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yes.