Avatar image for thelastdragonborn
#1 Posted by TheLastDragonborn (2118 posts) - - Show Bio

Just wondering what you guys think. Personally i think Batman is the most popular hero ever. No hero can boast the amount of games, comics, tv series, animated shows, movies, crossovers, animated movies, and other forms of media as him. But the real question is why? What makes batman the most popular hero to ever be made?

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#2 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (7364 posts) - - Show Bio

Cause he's cool pretty self explanatory

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#3 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (24277 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's so "relatable".

#4 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18268 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by Pirateking (619 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f
#6 Posted by deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f (6669 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5a89ca5697052
#7 Posted by deactivated-5a89ca5697052 (8063 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Spider-man is, but Batman should be a close second.

#8 Edited by Warlockmage (9220 posts) - - Show Bio

its actually Superman... the "S" is now one of the most recognizable symbol around the world up there with "Coca-Cola"

but Spider-man, Hulk, Wolverine, Batman, and Wonder Woman are up there.

Avatar image for thelastdragonborn
#9 Posted by TheLastDragonborn (2118 posts) - - Show Bio

@warlockmage: Really? That is interesting. I think its either superman or batman. Spiderman is a close second. Plus, batman has the best games lol

#10 Posted by LordWhiskers (731 posts) - - Show Bio

Wank

#11 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

He's the ultimate power fantasy. He's rich without doing anything for it, a man-whore who women drool over, one of the smartest people on the planet, the best fighter, can be a jerk to people and is forgiven for it, and is just good at everything.

Batman isn't relatable. Even Superman is more relatable than Batman, at least he was raised by a normal middle-class family and has to work for his money.

#12 Posted by Bardock52 (262 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's the only one that's actually EXPOSED....

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#13 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (15907 posts) - - Show Bio

@warlockmage: Superman is the most known, Batman is more popular

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#14 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (15907 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's cool, more than any other superhero to most people.

#15 Posted by ImMadNice (1296 posts) - - Show Bio

Best villains, best origin, by far the best comics. Can pick up any batman comic and its gold

#16 Posted by TheWatcherKing (18332 posts) - - Show Bio

Best villains, best origin, by far the best comics. Can pick up any batman comic and its gold

That is a gross exaggeration.

#17 Posted by ImMadNice (1296 posts) - - Show Bio

@watcher5000: in the last 5 years, its harder to find a below average batman comic than a fantasric one, any recent batman story is 9/10 or better. New 52 gets hated on - Batman New 52 are still impeccable. Earth one superman gets mixed reviews, Batman Earth One is beloved.

#18 Posted by InFamous_Wolf (1427 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip said:

He's the ultimate power fantasy. He's rich without doing anything for it, a man-whore who women drool over, one of the smartest people on the planet, the best fighter, can be a jerk to people and is forgiven for it, and is just good at everything.

Batman isn't relatable. Even Superman is more relatable than Batman, at least he was raised by a normal middle-class family and has to work for his money.

Damn when you put it like that he really isn't that relatable lmao, if anything the Punisher is. I guess Batman is the most relatable on face value especially when he's on a team of Gods lol.

#19 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@infamous_wolf: If you know nothing about his personality and only know he doesn't have superpowers while being surrounded by superbeings, then I guess he is.

The problem is that a lot of writers have kind of made him into a mary-sue. It's a common problem among superheroes, but it sticks out for Batman because he is the most popular character. Add to that, most Batman writers are massive Batman fans who want to make him look cool even if it is to the detriment of other characters. As of now, when Batman and Superman fight, I always expect Bats to win because Supes tends to be the whipping boy to prop up Batman.

#20 Posted by mrmonster (15184 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I'd still say that is Superman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
#23 Posted by deactivated-5967bf6197d40 (2560 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not the most popular, but he's popular because of the power fantasy where everything you need to be awesome is just handed to you and you can stand up to beings that would rip you apart in literally any other scenario besides the one with your plot armor.

#24 Posted by Gotoucanario (2958 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not the most popular, but he's popular because of the power fantasy where everything you need to be awesome is just handed to you and you can stand up to beings that would rip you apart in literally any other scenario besides the one with your plot armor.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
#25 Posted by deactivated-5967bf6197d40 (2560 posts) - - Show Bio

@nicksmi56 said:

No Caption Provided

Lol which part are you doubting?

#26 Posted by AsheTDust (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

He is one of the most popular in a comic book format. However if you want the most popular fictional character, it's a different detective. Sherlock Holmes.

He's the record holder according to Guinness.

Avatar image for lord_adamantium
#27 Posted by Lord_Adamantium (425 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably.

Why?

• Very cool and marketable name.
  • No powers so he is very relatable.
  • Great gadgets and tech.
  • Great vehicles.
  • Martial arts master.
  • Enviable billionaire/ladies man.
  • Most importantly: PERVASIVE AND EXCESSIVE MARKETING AND MEDIA SATURATION!
#28 Edited by Yassassin (7697 posts) - - Show Bio

He just often brings out the best in writers, giving them some of their best shit. Morrison, Dixon, Grant, O'Neil, Dini, Miller, etc, etc, and that's just really him. That's not accounting amount of work put in his universe, cast, antagonist, setting, etc. I mean, Spider-Man's cool but you couldn't do something like, Gotham City Sirens with Black, Silver Sable, and . . .I can't even think of a third one.

Ultimately, too much work just been put into him for him not to be popular.

#29 Posted by hyiena (5328 posts) - - Show Bio

Hercules

Avatar image for general_disarray
#30 Posted by General_Disarray (1560 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't know if he is? he's my fav but i'm biased, i can see why others don't rate him. i like him for his story lines / villains / setting / history etc

top hero prob changes per generation

#31 Edited by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@tvc-15: Great writers write great stories. All those writers you listed have equally acclaimed works starring other characters. Hell, Grant Morrison is such a great writer, he could probably write a great story about me or you or anyone off the street.

I do think it is easier to write a Batman story than say a Superman story. But, that doesn't necessarily make him a better or more interesting character.

I agree that he does have the benefit of DC giving Batman the most attention and the best writers/artists. But, all that effort put into keeping Batman on top could be used to elevate more characters.

#32 Edited by Yassassin (7697 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip:

All those writers you listed have equally acclaimed works starring other characters.

Yeah, but except from Morrison and Miller, their biggest works are usually Batman stuff.

But, all that effort put into keeping Batman on top could be used to elevate more characters.

DC tries that a lot to often tepid or outright terrible results, prime example: DCYou. People complain a lot about Batman getting top billing, but he usually in the top 10 best sellers for a reason.

#33 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@tvc-15: I disagree about Morrison; All-Star Superman is his magnum opus. Miller's biggest works are DKR and Year One, but his Batman work after those are some truly awful garbage.

Yes, Batman is a top seller, but not effortlessly. DC still puts the most resources into the character. Making a character massively popular isn't done overnight; if DC consistently worked on getting more characters over, they would have better overall sales.