• 56 results
Posted by modernww2fare (5126 posts) 11 months, 24 days ago

Poll: Is Batman Forever(1995) over-hated? (57 votes)

Yes 56%
No 44%
Why or why not?
Why or why not?

#1 Posted by Nerevarine_11 (9700 posts) - - Show Bio

No. It's trash

#2 Posted by MBCB2001 (1398 posts) - - Show Bio

@undefined: i just hate that movie because they made that horrible mind-absorbing riddler

#3 Posted by jaycool2 (8642 posts) - - Show Bio

that riddler hair

#4 Posted by Revan2424 (4540 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Vermillion0831 (7047 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda think so.

#7 Posted by MBCB2001 (1398 posts) - - Show Bio

@undefined: Just look at that riddler and two-face costumes, so horrible ? ? ?

#8 Posted by black_wreath (12918 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe it's under-hated.

Nicole Kidman is just the worst.

#9 Posted by DSB (1088 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude , it runs for the WORST CBM Movies of all time ..

I cant decide which is worse : This or Daredevil ....

#10 Edited by ANTHP2000 (8816 posts) - - Show Bio

It sucks kinda much...

#11 Posted by BlueHope (2659 posts) - - Show Bio

It was pretty bad.

#12 Posted by Jgames (6407 posts) - - Show Bio

No it was almost as bad as Batman and Robin.

#13 Posted by PenguinDust (4714 posts) - - Show Bio

By "over-hated" do you mean more hated than it should be hated, or are you implying that is actually an okay movie? It's not, it's bad, but not Batman and Robin bad. If people say it's as bad as B & R, then yes it's over-hated. If they're just saying "I don't like this movie, it's a bad movie", then no. I personally believe it to be a two-star movie which is bad, but not a franchise-killer (like B & R).

#14 Edited by Sprior93 (12848 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_wreath: Hey, not every actress can be as good as Gwyneth Paltrow. Giver her a break.

>:)

#15 Posted by Sprior93 (12848 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like this movie. It's fun, irreverent and visually appealing.

#16 Edited by Jgames (6407 posts) - - Show Bio

@Penguin-Dust: of it wasn't for poison ivy horrible acting and Two-Face not being cringe worthy, I would say is just as bad as B&R, since at least in B&R Robin felt somewhat needed in the movie, while Robin in Batman Forever was useless. Also at least Mr Freeze is funny, Jim Carry is just cringe worthy.

#18 Posted by PayneInTheAss (5269 posts) - - Show Bio

It has some cool cinematography

#19 Posted by black_wreath (12918 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93: And to think I was actually going to thank you for turning me onto Stranger Things... -_-

#20 Posted by jb681131 (2339 posts) - - Show Bio

@dsb said:

Dude , it runs for the WORST CBM Movies of all time ..

I cant decide which is worse : This or Daredevil ....

Really ?? Seriously ?? There are way worst comic book movies than than ! Thor for exemple.

#21 Edited by DSB (1088 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131: Thor isnt THAT Bad. It delivers a nice story

#22 Posted by wrucebayne (568 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah. I think Batman 89 and Returns are under hated, though. Those movies are remembered fondly, but despite they're schlocky charms, they're bad movies.

#23 Posted by Blacksmith_99 (1893 posts) - - Show Bio

The only good thing from this movie is Kiss from a Rose.

#24 Posted by zaied (6727 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really. It's a bad film that contributed to Batman's cinematic fall. Though, honestly, I don't think Schumacher's films get enough credit for their brilliant scores and a few of the great character moments.

Avatar image for thesilentripper
#25 Posted by TheSilentRipper (2530 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93: And to think I was actually going to thank you for turning me onto Stranger Things... -_-

But you should anyway

#26 Posted by black_wreath (12918 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Edited by Sprior93 (12848 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_wreath:

What do I do to make you want me?

What have I got to do to be heard?

What do I say when it's all over?

Sorry seems to be the hardest word

It's sad, so sad

It's a sad, sad situation

And it's getting more and more absurd

It's sad, so sad

Why can't we talk it over?

Oh it seems to me

That sorry seems to be the hardest word

#28 Posted by black_wreath (12918 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by Sprior93 (12848 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_wreath: Oh, I guess it's not that hard after all. Elton John is full of shit.

#30 Posted by MBCB2001 (1398 posts) - - Show Bio

@wrucebayne: why didn't you like classic batman and batman returns? They were good for me LOL

#31 Posted by black_wreath (12918 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93: Elton John is full of many things. ^_^

#32 Posted by jumpstart55 (10347 posts) - - Show Bio

Not it was a pretty awful...And unlike Batman and Robin(Which is so bad its kinda good)...Batman: Forever just straight up sucks.

#33 Posted by JamieWolfe7 (777 posts) - - Show Bio

The only good thing from this movie is Kiss from a Rose.

This right here. Batman and Robin and Batman Forever are why Tim Burton should have been left in control. Imagine how much better a Two Face Billy Dee Williams could have made than that career embarrassment that Tommy Lee Jones gave us? If I remember right, he also wanted Robin Williams for Riddler.

#34 Posted by Deathstroke52 (6996 posts) - - Show Bio

It ruined the image of the Riddler. Now everyone thinks he's a twitchy, basically Jim Carrey like character.

#35 Posted by modernww2fare (5126 posts) - - Show Bio

It ruined the image of the Riddler. Now everyone thinks he's a twitchy, basically Jim Carrey like character.

So... Jesse Eisenberg's Luthor?

#36 Posted by Deathstroke52 (6996 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathstroke52 said:

So... Jesse Eisenberg's Luthor?

I guess. But when people say that his Luthor was like The Riddler, it's because their only knowledge of the character is from this movie.

Avatar image for transformers1024
#37 Posted by Transformers1024 (7600 posts) - - Show Bio

It sucks.

#38 Posted by DarthAznable (16928 posts) - - Show Bio

Better than the Clooney movie.

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
#39 Posted by FirestormFate1919 (3981 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, it's always been my least favorite. At least Batman and Robin is hilarious in hindsight, and hyperquotable at that. This one was just plain bad, rather than so bad its good.

#40 Posted by wbr17 (3516 posts) - - Show Bio

I was a kid and I liked it.

#41 Posted by Pokeysteve (11684 posts) - - Show Bio

It's over hated. The first half is actually decent. It takes a dive when everything starts getting neon.

#42 Posted by HeroUp2112 (12372 posts) - - Show Bio

By "over-hated" do you mean more hated than it should be hated, or are you implying that is actually an okay movie? It's not, it's bad, but not Batman and Robin bad. If people say it's as bad as B & R, then yes it's over-hated. If they're just saying "I don't like this movie, it's a bad movie", then no. I personally believe it to be a two-star movie which is bad, but not a franchise-killer (like B & R).

#43 Edited by wrucebayne (568 posts) - - Show Bio

@mbcb2001: Weak characterizations for pretty much every character in both films, but the Joker. Bruce is barely fleshed out, Catwoman got her fingers nibbled on and dresses up as a dominatrax, Alfred is an idiot that let's a journalist in the Batcave, and the Penguin's motivations change whenever the plot needs him to.

Let's not forget about the Frankenstein's monster of a script that plagues both films. Rewrites from several different writers stitched together to make an overall flimsy at best script.

A lot of people misremember the two movies thinking they're dark when they are actually just as campy as the 66 Batman. They just happen to be literally dark, not dark in tone.

#44 Posted by MBCB2001 (1398 posts) - - Show Bio

@wrucebayne: i liked that joker and penguin. They were ok for me

#45 Posted by Farkam (9845 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it. I don't care what others think of it.

#46 Posted by DSTREET45 (3569 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes I think it is over hated.

@farkam said:

I liked it. I don't care what others think of it.

Same.

A lot of people misremember the two movies thinking they're dark when they are actually just as campy as the 66 Batman. They just happen to be literally dark, not dark in tone.

This right here. Every time someone brings up Batman Returns for being dark and serious I like to point to this:

Penguin controlling the batmobile with one of those kiddy rides in the front of a store? Yep that's totally
Penguin controlling the batmobile with one of those kiddy rides in the front of a store? Yep that's totally "dark and edgy".

I mean getting the blueprints for the Batmobile is bad enough (seriously leads to all kinds of questions) but why would you make your controller like that?

Furthermore IMO the Penguin was just as hammy as the following villains, with Danny Devito constantly spouting sexual euphemisms about practically every female who walks. There's literally a scene where he bites some dude's nose and 20 seconds later he says "I'd like to fill her void" when looking at the woman wiping up the blood. Shrek should've gotten the guy some hookers instead trying to make him mayor.

Last but not least, the plan to kill the first born sons of Gotham's citizens (assuming that none of them are actually adults or even teenagers) by using an army of penguins armed with weaponized missiles.

And this is probably because I never read the comics but was the Penguin really some deformed cat-eating monster baby that was raised by penguins, rolls with a circus gang, and has the libido the size of Texas? Cause I'd hazard a guess that he wasn't.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Like it or hate it, Batman Forever was at least honest about being somewhat campy. The main targets were shifted to younger audiences when Returns didn't do so well critically and Forever ended up being successful at the time. And while Two Face and (less so IMO) The Riddler were pretty bad, I thought that the insight to Bruce's past was done pretty well especially since he pretty much took the back seat to the villains in the previous movies.

And judging by the deleted scenes Schumacher wanted to make a more serious Batman movie complete with showing the padded room that Harvey escaped from having "THE BAT MUST DIE" written with a guard's blood on the walls. Even as is I thought the movie was at least somewhat enjoyable.

My main beef with Robin is that he didn't really do anything during the climax, he kick Two Face's ass, then got suckered and became a hostage. Otherwise I thought he was alright.

The fight scenes were pretty good IMO as well. Pretty fluid.

#47 Edited by Slayz (2140 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it's a pretty crappy film. I cringe whenever I hear someone says that Carrey delivered a good performance for the Riddler.

#48 Posted by cruelestashley (4202 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, clearly people forget about the glorious Bat Nipples.

Avatar image for hauntedgraveyard
#49 Posted by HauntedGraveyard (210 posts) - - Show Bio

Say what you want about this movie but val's Batman was a much better fighter than keaton's batman. I liked Forever's black suit better too. It was more sleek looking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
#50 Posted by deactivated-5967bf6197d40 (2560 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk, I found it a lot of fun. Cheesy fun, but sometimes that's what you want. It's not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it is entertaining.