• 124 results
#51 Edited by Sprior93 (12261 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, it's pretty bad.

#52 Posted by HeroUp2112 (10578 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it better than I thought I would. I got my hopes up big time for Luke Cage and got minorly burned, there are some DEFINITE problems, but over all I was pleasantly surprised.

Good Stuff:

Most of the fight scenes were actually good. (Except the ones with Colleen...shudder...)

The pacing (though it lagged a couple of times) was good. It kept me interested.

The whole cast of characters were diverse and interesting. I really liked me some Madame Gao, and Davos.

Took a little while, but I liked Danny a lot.

Bad Stuff:

I wish they'd eased up on some of the business stuff and showed a little more Kun Lun

In a few spots the dialogue was HORRID

Claire: "Going to China? It's a trap! This is stupid! This is exactly what they want! I'm going too!" (basically)

All the freaking talking and "flirting", and talking about emotions when Danny and Colleen are sneaking up on things.

Took them a little too long to make Danny not seem like an irrational, selfish asshole (you eventually figure it all out, just took a LITTLE too long I thought).

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#53 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (6332 posts) - - Show Bio

@waterd: you can't be serious about this being better than the second half of DD S2

#54 Posted by MorleeRicks (8755 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it fine. Not as much as Daredevil but it was pretty cool show.

#55 Edited by Asgaard (3197 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey said:

"so much of it was not centered around the fact that the show was bad. Rather, they just seemed to really hate the fact Danny was white. "White savior" and "cultural appropriation" popped up a few times, and there was surprise that an Asian wasn't cast for the role"

On the other hand, all I've heard from fans is "come on. It isn't as bad as the critics say it is." No one has yet to explain why they actually think it's good.

From what i saw, the pace and tone are very acceptable for Tv, and the worldbuilding actually feels cohesive, (even if the execution had to acknowledge so many variables, from Mcu & Hell's Kitchen to the mystic origins, and with this character/world i always assumed that it was easy to go over the top), the characters are likable and the narrative although here and there suffers from some lack of focus, seems to not be as static as the Tv series norm...

Personally, i think this show portrays well the martial arts spirit, its capacity to create immediate bounds and its idea of universal language (well done in Danny/Colleen interactions) that can be learned by anyone, in fact dismantles some of the critics assumption/ideology that has to obey to some kind of static perimeter around the Asian culture, when due (mostly) to movies and tv for ex. Kung Fu, knows no frontiers without deny its origins...

I didn't see such ferocity criticizing Heimdall or Valkyrie skin color in Thor movies, (in fact media applauds it, and i am no against diversity in any medium, but from the spectator stand point it always will depend in how believable the execution will make it), although i also could see some kind of cultural appropriation argument for Val and Heimdall, the Mcu Thor/Asgard Worldbuilding and Valkyrie concept from the comics (its a mantle), makes both fit in what was established in the narratives about who are the Asgardians in the Mcu, and Danny Rand as Iron Fist execution also fits the narrative/worldbuilding logic created by this series and some already set in Doctor Strange & Netlix/Marvel... So yeah, regarding this specific Tv series i can not see some reviews without the politics/ideology variable...

#56 Posted by thatduderox (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Nowhere near is bad as critics are trying to make it out to be. It's not deep, complex, or psychologically driven like Jessica Jones or Daredevil (haven't seen Luke Cage yet), but I didn't expect it to be. And tbh, that's what I like most about it. While I love the former two shows I mentioned, it can get a bit draining at times; especially around midway through. That's why I found Iron Fist so refreshing.

Now to address the elephant in the room about Danny being white. I honestly feel like most critics came at Iron Fist's throat for this reason alone, and you can tell that in a lot of their reviews. This irritates me. I'm a black guy, and I hate the white savior trope as well. But Danny's comic book counterpart is a white guy. Most of these reviews do bring up good points about the story and narrative, but you can see the PC pandering as clear as day.

And don't get me started on the SJW on tumblr, twitter, etc. Most of them have never even touched a comic book. They know next to nothing about the source material, and are only piggybacking off what someone else has said. They are not real fans, and are only "passionate" about this because it's trending. In a week or two, they will no longer care, and move on to the next popular thing the internet is angry about. They're like a freaking hive mind man, I swear. Like none of them can form their own opinion.

Sorry about that. rant over lol

#57 Posted by rogueshadow (21899 posts) - - Show Bio

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Defenders:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#58 Posted by foxerdes (3022 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't believe that I was fooled by early reviews.

#59 Posted by tensor (7410 posts) - - Show Bio

Say it all the time judge for yourself. What somebody does not like. I might like it.

Two different mind two different opinions.

At episode 4 an it is good so far.

#60 Posted by Stahlflamme (4188 posts) - - Show Bio

It's only qs only about fourty reviews as opposed to ten times that like for example a marvel movie has and series often receives reviews based on just the first episode. Thought I don't know if that was the case here since the entire series becomes available at the sa e time. The beginning is kinda slow and there are probably too many plot threads, the hands faction leader was rather boring and the finale battle a little too difficult to win for Danny compared to what would have made sense, the eagle never vecame that clear, the bord tattoo even kess. Also in some fight scenes I there really wasn't that much tension like when Ghao send two guy with axes at them and everyone seemed to act like that was really bad and they were probably gonna die... and yeah neither did this two seem so impressive immediately nor were they that tough to beat.

But yeah overall its really not that bad. If people can make enough excuses for something like arrow or supergirl this is probably receiving a little too little credit on average, but I suppose mcus netflix shows are measured by a higher standard after what they delivered so far.

#61 Edited by PeterParkerJr (5550 posts) - - Show Bio
#62 Posted by uugieboogie (10324 posts) - - Show Bio

Show was dope IMO. Still can't get over this scene..

No Caption Provided

#63 Posted by rogueshadow (21899 posts) - - Show Bio

Show was dope IMO. Still can't get over this scene..

No Caption Provided

That bit was too good.

I'm pretty sure that stance was Monkey style, not sure about Danny; Tiger style?

I loved it when somebody would do some flashy move and Danny would just punk them like this:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#64 Posted by buttersdaman000 (19039 posts) - - Show Bio

Look at all these MCU apologist lol the show is fun, but pretty mediocre

#65 Edited by Lees28 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

So I just finished binging the whole season...

First of, I remember watching the trailer and being extremely excited for this series seeing as DD, JJ and LC got me hooked. I had no idea the critics reviews were received so badly until I was like 4 episodes into Iron Fist. LOL!

I also had no idea there was so much controversy around the show either, I'm Asian myself and I have no fkn problem with Danny being white... like he's white in the comics, guess marvel just wanted to stay true to the comics in this aspect. BUT, the show is so diverse one of the main characters is Asian, and she's the love interest. There are many actors from different background being represented in IF and I personally thought it was awesome.

I will agree with most people first 3-5 episodes aren't really anything special, a slow burn, fights scenes were a bit gimmicky and there was quite a few plot holes leaving me with a billion of question of who, what, when, where and Why?

In saying so the show does pick up after that and the story becomes interesting and you get to know Danny Rand more and understand his character in a bit more depth. Also I'm rooting for Colleen with Danny, doesn't feel or seem forced they are good together and yes INTERRACIAL COUPLE FTW.

Basically to sum everything up, give Iron Fist a chance it may not be a banger from the get go, but it's got some punch to it. Never judge a book by its cover and don't ever judge anything before you see it yourself. Give Iron Fist the love it needs.

Can confirm fight scenes get better and better.

Here's to hoping for season 2 that will kick all the critics asses

Avatar image for emperorxhadesx420
#66 Posted by EmperorxHadesx420 (1986 posts) - - Show Bio

@firstolympian: So in other words, you consider SS and BvS "good" movies?? Because their ratings is higher than Iron Fist..

#67 Posted by EmperorxHadesx420 (1986 posts) - - Show Bio

@manmadeofketchup: No its not. I've seen MCU fan boys use that site more than any other. Now all of sudden its overated?? Okayy bro keep thinking that. I'll say it again, only MCU fans find the show really good. You guys are looking through rose colored glasses.

And why bring up CW?? I don't care. When those shows get canceled, come back here. Then I'll take you seriously.

#68 Posted by EmperorxHadesx420 (1986 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Thank you bro. I want to see why these Disney boy and girls find the show good.

On the other hand, I've seen people say their in ep 5 or 6 and say everything is looking good. What?!?? The first 6 sp is the worst of any show I've seen. And I look at Grey's Anatomy/Supergirl. Lmao.

Also, one of the stupidest sp I seen was when a dead billionaire walks through New York for hours without anyone noticing him. That ep was rich!!

#69 Edited by FirstOlympian (596 posts) - - Show Bio
@emperorxhadesx420 said:

@firstolympian: So in other words, you consider SS and BvS "good" movies?? Because their ratings is higher than Iron Fist..

...What? When did I say anything related to that? Thank you for ignoring my whole post lmao..

Let's compare it then shall we?

IMDB

• Iron Fist - 8.2
  • Suicide Squad - 6.3
  • Batman v Superman - 6.7

Rotten Tomatoes (Critic)

• Iron Fist - 19%
  • Suicide Squad - 26%
  • Batman v Superman - 27%

Rotten Tomatoes (User Base)

• Iron Fist - 87%
  • Suicide Squad - 63%
  • Batman v Superman - 63%

So the only point Batman v Superman takes any sort of lead.. it's by rotten tomato critic's and by actual user bases.. Iron Fist takes a massive lead.

You are saying it's a bad show because like 30 critics that only got to see the first 6 episodes didn't like it.. but ignore that thousands of people did.

#70 Posted by Gotoucanario (338 posts) - - Show Bio
#71 Posted by HDoom16 (123 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard: that's the conclusion I came to as well. The fact that the new ghostbusters got such good reviews only reinforced the notion that modern critics are rating based on political correctness and leftism

#72 Posted by uugieboogie (10324 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: Danny was doing tiger style and I believe Davos was doing mantis style in that bit.

#73 Posted by EmperorxHadesx420 (1986 posts) - - Show Bio

@firstolympian: Sighs, I'm not ignoring nnothing, just don't care about IMDb. RT is the site MCU fanboys like to use, and I roll with the criticism. Lol Shit ass show!!! You mad??

#74 Edited by FirstOlympian (596 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperorxhadesx420: I mean.. what's the point of arguing if you are going to ignore the most popular movie/tv show rating site? You just don't want to accept it because it proves you wrong. Why would I be mad? It's just a tv show man, you're the only one insulting anything. Besides, it's rated extremely highly on rotten tomatoes by the User Base, a couple dozen critics not liking it doesn't take away from the thousands of people that do enjoy the show.

#75 Posted by Vascillator (356 posts) - - Show Bio

I havent watched everything yet, but so far the show is perfectly fine. Better than Luke Cage (who had a horrible 2nd half) and Jessica Jones to me, and clearly way above all the regular network superhero shows.

Avatar image for manmadeofketchup
#76 Edited by ManMadeOfKetchup (839 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperorxhadesx420 said:

@manmadeofketchup: No its not. I've seen MCU fan boys use that site more than any other. Now all of sudden its overated?? Okayy bro keep thinking that. I'll say it again, only MCU fans find the show really good. You guys are looking through rose colored glasses.

And why bring up CW?? I don't care. When those shows get canceled, come back here. Then I'll take you seriously.

Yes, it is. You're wrong, your delusions that you think your opinion is fact and that only "MCU fan boys" like Iron Fist proves that nothing you say is credible or should be taken seriously. Run along now troll, being condescending and acting obnoxious does you no favors

#77 Posted by BullPR (3597 posts) - - Show Bio

Not as bad as depicted by the reviewers. Not a good show either.

I won't trash it but I won't recommend it either around me.

Main strength: Colleen Wing.

Main weaknesse(s): lack of charism of the main character, lack of intensity in the martial art scenes, a few short cuts in the writing.

#78 Posted by kiba (1350 posts) - - Show Bio

The show had its problems, some fights weren't what they could have been and the dialogue was pretty bad at times. Some of that part I make allowance for since Danny and Davos were raised in a very alien environment so they shouldn't sound natural but only to a point. However the Mechums (sp?) were great bad guys, at least once the show got going, maybe some of the best baddies the MCU has had and those actors really nailed their scenes. Also learning more about the Hand and why so many are loyal to them adds a nice realism there, I mean as much as a cult of ninjas can be. The best part was that the show improved as it went instead of falling apart at the end like Luke Cage did. I'd rate then at DD>JJ>IF>LC. Looking forward to Defenders.

#79 Posted by EmperorxHadesx420 (1986 posts) - - Show Bio

@manmadeofketchup: How the hell can my opinion be fact?? Lol. That's some oxymoron shit!!! Agree to disagree. Smdh

#80 Posted by EmperorxHadesx420 (1986 posts) - - Show Bio

@firstolympian: Well, I like to see things in a certain that doesn't pervert my mind.

#81 Edited by Noone1996 (4228 posts) - - Show Bio

SJW reviews should just be in their own separate category of reviews so people know not to take them seriously.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#82 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (10529 posts) - - Show Bio
#83 Posted by rogueshadow (21899 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: Danny was doing tiger style and I believe Davos was doing mantis style in that bit.

I was unsure between Tiger and Mantis, I'm no expert but isn't the Mantis stance accompanied by extremely low crouching and also swaying (?):

I was thinking Davos was more in line with this:

No Caption Provided

#84 Posted by uugieboogie (10324 posts) - - Show Bio

@uugieboogie said:

I was unsure between Tiger and Mantis, I'm no expert but isn't the Mantis stance accompanied by extremely low crouching and also swaying (?):

I was thinking Davos was more in line with this:

No Caption Provided

That's weird, when I type in mantis style in google that same photo pops up without the monkey though lol. But the way his index finger is pointing leads me to believe it's mantis style. Does this look similair I'm not sure though, we need to find an expert. Isn't there like a million Kung Fu experts here on the vine? lol

#85 Posted by rogueshadow (21899 posts) - - Show Bio

@uugieboogie: Hmmm, okay, I'm not sure.

Here's another example of Praying Mantis form, a big deal is made out of it in the show:

Loading Video...

It is used a few times as well as by another character and again it involves that swaying and the fingers always seem to mimic the claw of the Mantis there.

Yes, we really need an expert up in here, my knowledge comes primarily from Wuxia films, lol. Where are all the CV ninjas at?

#86 Posted by DSTREET45 (2732 posts) - - Show Bio
#87 Posted by uugieboogie (10324 posts) - - Show Bio

@uugieboogie: Hmmm, okay, I'm not sure.

Here's another example of Praying Mantis form, a big deal is made out of it in the show:

Loading Video...

It is used a few times as well as by another character and again it involves that swaying and the fingers always seem to mimic the claw of the Mantis there.

Yes, we really need an expert up in here, my knowledge comes primarily from Wuxia films, lol. Where are all the CV ninjas at?

Apparently that video isn't allowed to be viewed in the US? But we will probably get quoted and corrected a comicvine black belt lol. Also something I didn't notice before from Bakuto.

That spin doe
That spin doe

#88 Posted by rogueshadow (21899 posts) - - Show Bio

@uugieboogie: Crap, my bad. That was pretty slick. His side-flip over the desks in their other was really cool too, I loved that bit.

#89 Posted by TJD2814 (127 posts) - - Show Bio

It was definitely good the ending was a little anti-climatic for me and the story lacking at times

But overall it was leagues ahead of cage

Daredevil is still the tops right now

#90 Posted by SirMethos (1526 posts) - - Show Bio

I find it amusing that people seem to be surprised, that different people have different opinions.

Personally, I loved IF season 1. So far, I think it's the best of the MCU, while Luke Cage was the weakest(except DD season 2, episode 4 not included). DD season 1 and Jessica Jones are kinda tied for me.

In regards to critics, I never look at reviews until after I've watched the movie/tv-show in question. I only heard about the bad reviews of IF when I checked CV after binge-ing it(just a single 5 minute break after... I think it was episode 5).

#91 Posted by ManMadeOfKetchup (839 posts) - - Show Bio

@manmadeofketchup: How the hell can my opinion be fact?? Lol. That's some oxymoron shit!!! Agree to disagree. Smdh

Hurrr durrr that's the point, you however treat your opinions as if they're undeniable facts and anyone who disagrees with you is a fanboy just because they don't think the same way you do.

Avatar image for roykrappenshwitz
#92 Posted by RoyKrappenshwitz (54 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a pile of shit.

#93 Posted by EmperorxHadesx420 (1986 posts) - - Show Bio

@manmadeofketchup: Wrong! That's what you think. I already told you, agree to disagree. An opinion can't be fact. That's oxymoron shit!!

#94 Posted by Stefano (1331 posts) - - Show Bio

⁠⁠⁠Iron fist is definitely the worst of the Marvel Netflix series, but it is not as bad as people are saying it is. I think it gets is getting such bad review because it is being compared with the very high standards of Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. People review the Marvel Netflix shows more critically then other super heroes because of their great track record. I would say Iron Fist is on par with the CW super hero series or Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter, which are certainly a grade below the Marvel Netflix series.

#95 Edited by ManMadeOfKetchup (839 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperorxhadesx420 said:

@manmadeofketchup: Wrong! That's what you think. I already told you, agree to disagree. An opinion can't be fact. That's oxymoron shit!!

You are one sad little troll, I'm not going to "agree to disagree" just because I called you out on your bullshit because you go around harassing others who don't think the same way you do. The only fanboy around here is you

@stefano Actually Agents of Shield was better than some of the Netflix series in the first half of season 4 with Ghost Rider

#96 Edited by DanMarshall (238 posts) - - Show Bio

Overall id say the 1st season of Iron Fist is par for the course with all the other season ones except for one show. I sat through all 13 episodes in a day, the only show I couldn't do that with was Luke Cage, it was so boring and I have no intention to watch the rest. For me Iron Fist shared the same problems I had with the other shows, the comedy often didn't work, some of the action wasn't great but it did get better as the show went on, and little to no costumes. The one thing IF has a leg up on is a good supporting character Colleen Wing, the ones from the other shows were annoying, unlikable, or boring like Foggy Nelson and Elektra (both of who fit all three of those things). As for Rosario Dawson the last thing that happened to her character that was in anyway interesting was season one of daredevil when she got kidnapped, I vaguely remember her in Luke Cage but I don't think she did anything really but I could only tolerate the excrutiating boredom for 6 episodes and a minute of episode 7 so maybe she did something in the half of the show im not going to watch. Anyway Rosario got to take a more active role in Iron Fist which I found pretty cool.

#97 Posted by NewWorldOrder (755 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it was bad, but it wasn't the best.

#98 Posted by EmperorxHadesx420 (1986 posts) - - Show Bio

@manmadeofketchup: Sighs. You just can't seem to grasp a logical sense of thought. Opinions are not fact, no matter how much you think it is. So once again, agree to disagree.

#99 Posted by DWrathborne (479 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only watched the first couple episodes, but I think the show's ok. I've enjoyed worse (Anybody else remember Outlaws, Hard Time on Planet Earth, Nightmare Café, or The Highwayman?).

The only gripes I really have so far is that the intro is kind of weak to me. And I know that they make Coleen Wing a love interest, which imho is contrived and unnecessary.

#100 Posted by waterd (38 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm asked if serious iron fist is better than second half of dd s2. I think second half of DD s2 was Power rangers quality. It was beyond awful and nonsensical. And I'm a fan of DD show, i think its awesome, my mind couldn't comprehend how the same producers that created the first season and all the part related to punisher arc, which was great, could create such trash as all the Elektra/The hand arc which was laughable Power rangers crap, It seems like two completly different series. I don't mind silliness, I loved iron fist fight vs drunken master, the best fight by far.
DD s2 the hand arc just made NO SENSE.