Infinity War shatters biggest domestic opening weekend and global opening weekend records

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

Avengers: Infinity War just surpassed The Force Awakens's domestic opening weekend record, and surpassed The Fate of The Furious's global opening weekend record with an estimated $630 million worldwide.

Sources:

https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/990612888258859008

http://deadline.com/2018/04/avengers-infinity-war-weekend-box-office-opening-records-1202378032/

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Mickey Mouse has the Infinity Movie Gauntlet!!!

RichardCranium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By RichardCranium

Another thread? Oh well I will just copy-paste my other post here:

It is largely based on Sunday's estimate of US$61 million which allowed it to barely cross The Force Awakens' US$248 million.

The keyword is "barely". It all depends on Sunday's actual figure.

One should remember that Star Wars franchise films are massively huge in the U.S, more than any CBM... but is a typical overperforming tentpole outside of U.S. There are other future figures to consider, like how much the revenue dropoff is after 1-2 weeks. From what I saw of Star Wars The Force Awakens, it had a long life at the U.S Box Office i.e.: The revenue dropoff isn't steep and isn't front-loaded.

CBMs are typically front-loaded from what I heard.

Another comment I want to add is that while most CBMs are front-loaded, if there's some massive hype like Wonder Woman, Black Panther, the movie's life at the box office may carry on for quite a while.

I am not sure whether there's such a hype in this film, but I guess the general audience's knowledge that its an epic movie that invovles huge cast comes closest to Black Panther/Wonder Woman's level of hype. I doubt it though. Haven't Lord of the Rings film series did epic films before?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd
deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richardcranium: I saw a post on reddit box office on how this could become frontloaded because theres an urge for people to see it straight away to avoid spoilers.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is largely based on Sunday's estimate of US$61 million which allowed it to barely cross The Force Awakens' US$248 million.

One should remember that Star Wars franchise films are massively huge in the U.S, more than any CBM... but is a typical overperforming tentpole outside of U.S. There are other future figures to consider, like how much the revenue dropoff is after 1-2 weeks. From what I saw of Star Wars The Force Awakens, it had a long life at the U.S Box Office i.e.: The revenue dropoff isn't steep and isn't front-loaded.

Another comment I want to add is that while most CBMs are front-loaded, if there's some massive hype like Wonder Woman, Black Panther, the movie's life at the box office may carry on for quite a while.

I am not sure whether there's such a hype in this film, but I guess the general audience's knowledge that its an epic movie that invovles huge cast comes closest to Black Panther/Wonder Woman's level of hype. I doubt it though. Haven't Lord of the Rings film series did epic films before?

I don't get what you mean by "hype." Obviously there's large hype behind this movie, or else it wouldn't have shattered these records.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Shocking...

It's probably the biggest movie project ever does it really surprise if its also among the nost successful?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wolfrazer

K so it’s doing what every other Marvel movie has done.

Moving on.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moving on.

That's incorrect

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@wolfrazer said:

Moving on.

Every other Marvel movie has achieved the biggest domestic and global opening of all time? Lol.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RichardCranium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RichardCranium

@theamazingspidey said:
@richardcranium said:

I don't get what you mean by "hype." Obviously there's large hype behind this movie, or else it wouldn't have shattered these records.

Hype as in, the long-lasting variant that Black Panther and Wonder Woman film (Culturally first for blacks and women) had enjoyed at the U.S Box Office.

As another poster had mentioned, there is a strong possibility that Infinity War is very front-loaded due to certain aspects such as the "urge to see it ASAP because of the directors' warning about major spoilers".

Thus it has to be some sort of hype that ensures a crowd will return to see the film again, or continue to attract everyone else after the initial hectic week.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49375365792
deactivated-5e49375365792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was expecting it to break records like this.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did Infinity War just break Justice League's lifetime gross in 3 days. LMAO

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did Infinity War just break Justice League's lifetime gross in 3 days. LMAO

It grossed in 72 hours, almost as much as JL's lifetime gross.

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richardcranium: The hype for this way surpasses the ww and bp hype, this is an event movie , 10 year in the making , also happens to be the first film entirely filmed in imax

Sure they had social hype but , nowhere near the amount of overall buzz that this has generated

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I’ll snap my fingers and half of the other studios will disappear...

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I say how happy I am that Infinity War topped TFA's opening weekend? IW is how you do an event film, not this TFA/TLJ bullshit.

RichardCranium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heh. The YouTube commentators were right.

Who dies in Infinity War?

DCEU

mindleech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richardcranium: The hype for this way surpasses the ww and bp hype, this is an event movie , 10 year in the making , also happens to be the first film entirely filmed in imax

Sure they had social hype but , nowhere near the amount of overall buzz that this has generated

Yup, like my favorite trailer reactors , the Ecomog Group guys said: "It shall be called the Event" lol

skywalker95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 skywalker95  Online

I take it This means it will overtake TFA as the fastest film to reach 1 Billion.

How many days do you guys think it will accomplish it?

HATSoffMELO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the MCU Strikes Again

Hail Disney

Riddlersriddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 87

Glad to hear it, a brilliant film

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

cosmic_reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MonsterStomp

They just keep smashing records.

Can't think of an MCU film more deserving.

skywalker95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 skywalker95  Online
Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent numbers. I've never seen an audience clap that much in a theater. People really love it. It was an insane experience. Something about the film seemed almost real.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey:

Yeah, here in India, its a pretty big deal. The Jungle Book was the highest grossing Hollywood movie here, followed by The Amazing Spiderman I think.

But Infinity War has demolished all the opening records here. It's one of the highest grossing openers here regardless of Bollywood or Hollywood. I think it will break all lifetime records.

At this rate, It will probably cross TFA's lifetime gross records. What do you think?

MrAugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey:

Yeah, here in India, its a pretty big deal. The Jungle Book was the highest grossing Hollywood movie here, followed by The Amazing Spiderman I think.

But Infinity War has demolished all the opening records here. It's one of the highest grossing openers here regardless of Bollywood or Hollywood. I think it will break all lifetime records.

At this rate, It will probably cross TFA's lifetime gross records. What do you think?

Maybe internationally, but I don't see it coming close domestically.

byrd42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Typical. A lot of people here are acting like they saw this coming, but not many predicted that Infinity War would break The Force Awaken's OW record. Most were predicting it at 200-230M.

I had a serious prediction of a 265M opening, and that is playing out to be one of the closest predictions. It's estimate right now is 258 million. I am still wowwed that it did it despite my prediction.

byrd42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By byrd42

At this point there is now hype that will increase this movie's multiplier and make it not so front loaded. Just the fact that it is breaking major records puts even more main stream articles out about it making people who may not typically go to see super hero movies want to go see what all the buzz is about. It also is getting huge rating scores by viewers on Rotten Tomatoes (93%) and IMDB (9.0). Of course these numbers will drop in the weeks to come but they are very indicative of great word of mouth and repeat viewings.

I don't think it has much of a shot at the domestic record ($900+ million) but it now has a serious shot at $700-$800M domestic and 2.1-2.5B world wide. My personal predictions from a few weeks ago are much lower than that (675M and 1.9B).

Gojira2512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is nothing.... just wait to see Infinity War Part 2.

Avatar image for charliechampion
CharlieChampion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CharlieChampion

@byrd42: that's the way it is with Marvel. The haters come out in droves to tell everyone how the next film is "not really that hyped. It'll do just ok. Meh, not feeling it and blah, blah, blah." But soon as the next MCU film comes out and start breaking records all those same people get a sudden case of amnesia. Then it's all "this isn't news. It's Marvel. We all knew this was going to happen." It's literally like this with every Marvel film.

byrd42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byrd42: that's the way it is with Marvel. The haters come in droves to tell everyone how the next film is "not really that hyped. It'll do just ok. Meh not feeling it and blah, blah, blah." But soon as the next MCU film comes out and start breaking records all those same people get a sudden case of amnesia. Then it's all "this isn't news. It's Marvel. We all knew this was going to happen." It's literally like this with every Marvel film.

Yep, I have seen this play out with Black Panther. So many people claimed they knew it would be super successful, after the fact. Very few people saw beforehand that it would do better than a billion.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmfao where are all those pathetic DCEU defenders saying people had enough of this MCU formula? Crickets everywhere.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmfao where are all those pathetic DCEU defenders saying people had enough of this MCU formula? Crickets everywhere.

To be fair, it wasn't your average MCU film