In terms of Physical Strength, where would you rank these characters in order?

• 109 results
BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Avatar image for kryptonianking88
KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladeoffury: Don't know but I think it puts the ceiling higher than the building or ship

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. 2006 Superman

2. MCU Thanos

3. MCU Hulk

4. MCU Captain Marvel

5. MCU Thor

(DCEU Superman/Zod can be anywhere from somewhat above Thanos to below Thor)

6. MCU Iron Man

7. DCEU Wonder Woman

8. DCEU Aquaman

9. MCU Spider-Man

10. MCU Captain America

Can't speak about the rest.

KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-60ee206c1e31a
deactivated-60ee206c1e31a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@olubummo: cw flash got tagged by gorilla grodd and how is he gonna blitz cap he never blitz anyone and he got tagged by green arrow he is the most inconsistent cbm character and he's only fast when he's fighting other speedsters

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladeoffury: I think he scales higher with Aquaman and the sub but the building is his best quantifiable one

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kryptonianking88: Well then, a potentially weakened version of Hulk held up more weight than that with one hand. Thanos, who is stronger than Hulk, couldn't even budge his hand when Iron Man was pulling it back on Titan.

Itachus17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Routh/Reeve Superman

2. CW Supergirl

3. DCEU Supeman

4. MCU Thanos

5. DCEU Zod

6. MCU Captain Marvel

7. MCU Hulk

8. MCU Thor

9. DCEU Diana

10. MCU Iron Man

11. Brandon Breyer

12. DCEU Shazam

13. MCU Spider-Man

14. MCU Captain America

Mostly this.

WhyZoSerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cara

Carol

Thanos

Hulk

Thor

Supermen

Zod

Shazam

Diana

Arthur

Tony

Spidey

Cap

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladeoffury: Don't know. I've always said Iron Man is a high tier, but he's also portrayed as weaker than Spider-Man in comparision to Cull. Unless we get some more information about the World Engine or better feats from some of the characters Superman scales, I think we can atleast agree he's stronger than Faora and Nam Ek.

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kryptonianking88: I'm pretty sure Cull is just a huge outlier for Spidey. The guy ripped apart the Hulkbuster armor while Spidey is often shown struggling with weights under a hundred tons, a category the high tiers don't fit into. And if we do assume Cull to be on Spidey's level, then Iron Man's performance against him would likely become the outlier, due to stuff like this which was performed before his IW armor.

If not, and Cull being matched by Spidey is consistent and Iron Man being matched by Cull is consistent, then it means that Iron Man can't lift a hundred tons and Faora and Nam Ek would overpower him with their fingers. You don't seem to think so, so does that mean that you consider the Spidey-Cull scaling inconsistent?

KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladeoffury: Cull is clearly intended to be Spider-Man level as shown in Endgame, but as you've shown, earlier Iron Man models have pretty easily outperformed both. To keep things consistent with the other high end feats of the verse, I'd completely disregard Cull unless Spidey gets a couple thousand ton feats

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kryptonianking88: In that case, we're left with Iron Man holding back Thanos' hand. Iron Man (both hands) >= Thanos (one hand) > Prof Hulk (one hand) > Superman (both hands).

So, would you agree that Iron Man is stronger than Superman?

KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By KryptonianKing88
BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kryptonianking88: Yeah. Would you agree that Iron Man and War Machine are stronger than Superman?

KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladeoffury: Motherbox and maybe World Engine

Superman has a 10,000+ ton feat in MoS when he's standing beneath the WE which is exerting enough force in a concentrated beam to push back 10,000 tons of water much wider than the beam's width which means the center of the beam would have to be exerting even more force.

Credit to Crunch5481 for bringing that up

Avatar image for deactivated-627d8daf1de25
deactivated-627d8daf1de25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

1. Donner Superman
  2. 2006 Superman
  3. DCEU Superman (Assuming Tectonic Plate feat is legit)
  4. Thanos
  5. Hulk
  6. Captain Marvel
  7. Thor
  8. General Zod
  9. Iron Man
  10. Aquaman
  11. Wonder Woman
  12. Shazam
  13. Spider-Man
  14. Captain America
BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladeoffury: Motherbox and maybe World Engine

Superman has a 10,000+ ton feat in MoS when he's standing beneath the WE which is exerting enough force in a concentrated beam to push back 10,000 tons of water much wider than the beam's width which means the center of the beam would have to be exerting even more force.

Credit to Crunch5481 for bringing that up

Why is separating the motherboxes impressive?

And the World Engine is a much better feat than that.

When this skyscraper-sized machine landed at supersonic speeds, the impact created a shockwave which pulverized a mountain.

No Caption Provided

Yet the Engine itself remained unscathed. And then Clark one-shotted it, despite being in a weakened state and resisting the gravity beam.

It's a pretty clear outlier, considering Clark's performance at the oil rig in the same movie, as well as Snyder's intent.

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subline: How are Thanos, Hulk, Carol, and Thor above Zod if you're assuming that the tectonic feat is legit?

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

- 2006 Superman
- DCEU Superman
- DCEU Zod
- MCU Captain Marvel
- MCU Thanos
- MCU Thor (Without Mjolnir of course)
- MCU Hulk
- MCU Iron Man
- DCEU Aquaman
- DCEU Wonder Woman
- MCU Spiderman
- MCU Captain America
- DCEU Shazam

Don't know about CW Kara, Brightburn, Donner Supes.

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subline: How are Thanos, Hulk, Carol, and Thor above Zod if you're assuming that the tectonic feat is legit?

I don't see how it can't be. Supes could've been stronger or could've been in better shape when performing that feat. Just because he struggled with Zod in MoS doesn't mean that Zod is as strong as Supes in BvS. Doesn't mean that Zod can be anywhere near replicating that feat, assuming it's true.

I personally don't really consider the tectonic plate feat to be reliable. I'd rather go with the World Engine destruction feat to still be worthy enough to put him above most of the other people listed.

icec0ld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1.) Reeves

2.) Routh

3.) Kara

4.) Clark/zod

5.) Shazam

6.) Wonderwoman

Everyone else is way to far below.

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_logos_ said:
@bladeoffury said:

I don't see how it can't be. Supes could've been stronger or could've been in better shape when performing that feat. Just because he struggled with Zod in MoS doesn't mean that Zod is as strong as Supes in BvS. Doesn't mean that Zod can be anywhere near replicating that feat, assuming it's true.

I personally don't really consider the tectonic plate feat to be reliable. I'd rather go with the World Engine destruction feat to still be worthy enough to put him above most of the other people listed.

Clark has been absorbing sunlight for decades, so the couple extra years between MoS and BvS wouldn't have changed much. In fact, as shown by Zod, Faora, and Nam Ek, Kryptonians acquire their superhuman physicals almost immediately upon exposure to the yellow sun.

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_logos_ said:
@bladeoffury said:

Clark has been absorbing sunlight for decades, so the couple extra years between MoS and BvS wouldn't have changed much. In fact, as shown by Zod, Faora, and Nam Ek, Kryptonians acquire their superhuman physicals almost immediately upon exposure to the yellow sun.

That's not really a reason why I think Superman might've been different in BvS. In MoS Superman had taken a lot of damage and had been through a lot before his fight with Zod. Not to mention Superman may have gained more understanding and control over his power between MoS and BvS. Superman was just beginning to learn the full extent of his powers in MoS so things might've changed in BvS. We just don't know enough to assume that MoS Supes could replicate the feat suggested in BvS and thus we can't be sure if Zod could do same thing.

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_logos_: Even during Clark's fight against Faora and Nam Ek, before which he didn't take any damage, he was overpowered and knocked out multiple times. Wouldn't you agree that Zod is more powerful than his subordinates? As for "understanding and control," this is pure strength we're talking about, not fancy abilities like heat vision or flight, which may take some time to master. With strength, it's either there or it's not, and even children can use it to its full extent immediately.

Besides, the difference between tectonic level and MCU high tiers is massive. Even if Zod was a thousand times weaker than BvS Superman, he would still be a million times stronger than the collective might of the MCU.

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By _Logos_

@bladeoffury said:

Even during Clark's fight against Faora and Nam Ek, before which he didn't take any damage, he was overpowered and knocked out multiple times. Wouldn't you agree that Zod is more powerful than his subordinates?

Clark did get pummeled around a lot in that fight, but I don't consider it to be the thing that really might have stressed him. Tanking and destroying the World Engine is what I think can really be considered as something that might've put stress on Clark before he fought Zod. Yes, I would agree Zod is clearly more powerful than his counterparts.

As for "understanding and control," this is pure strength we're talking about, not fancy abilities like heat vision or flight, which may take some time to master. With strength, it's either there or it's not, and even children can use it to its full extent immediately.

You need concentration sometimes to let your maximum strength out. Clark hones his power more and more by concentrating. As shown in the scene where he learns to fly (which arguably involves a kind of strength as well). It wouldn't be completely implausible that this might apply to his striking or lifting ability. At the beginning of MoS Clark struggled with the oil rig tower, but later he overpowers the world engine. Clark clearly had a bit of learning curve to overcome when it came to his powers.

Besides, the difference between tectonic level and MCU high tiers is massive. Even if Zod was a thousand times weaker than BvS Superman, he would still be a million times stronger than the collective might of the MCU.

That's assuming the tectonic plate is entirely accurate. After all, we only learn it from a news report which may exaggerate what might've actually happened. I don't think Zod would be as drastic as a million times stronger than MCU characters, but he would be significantly stronger than MCU characters. If the feat was real and if Supes didn't really change much in between films, then it could work, but as I've explained there just isn't enough evidence to scale Zod to that level.

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_logos_:

Clark did get pummeled around a lot in that fight, but I don't consider it to be the thing that really might have stressed him. Tanking and destroying the World Engine is what I think can really be considered as something that might've put stress on Clark before he fought Zod.

You misunderstood, what I mean is that Faora and Nam Ek kept up with Clark in the physical department despite the fact that he didn't take any damage beforehand (Clark destroyed the World Engine after his fight with them). And Zod is their superior, as you agreed.

You need concentration sometimes to let your maximum strength out. Clark hones his power more and more by concentrating. As shown in the scene where he learns to fly (which arguably involves a kind of strength as well). It wouldn't be completely implausible that this might apply to his striking or lifting ability. At the beginning of MoS Clark struggled with the oil rig tower, but later he overpowers the world engine. Clark clearly had a bit of learning curve to overcome when it came to his powers.

Perhaps there would be a slight difference if I concentrated better before lifting something heavy, but the difference is just that - slight. Do you seriously believe that Clark's strength increased by a factor of millions just because he concentrated?

Clark was clearly exerting effort in his fight with Zod, indicating that he was using whatever strength he had to the fullest. To my understanding, you're suggesting that 99% of Clark's strength was behind a locked door which he could only unlock with concentration and experience, but that's simply not how strength works in real life, and there's no indication of this in the movies.

As for the World Engine, Snyder himself made it clear that such level of power was not his intention for Clark: link. Getting knocked out by a cruise missile fits well with Clark's performance at the oil rig, not one-shotting a machine that remained unscathed after landing so hard that the resulting shockwave pulverized a mountain, while in a weakened state and resisting the gravity beam.

That's assuming the tectonic plate is entirely accurate

Yeah, we're operating under the assumption that it is.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@olubummo said:

LMAO, sometimes some people forget that all Superheros are Jobbers, some people will ignore the times when their Favorite Superheros was jobbing, but they will be talking about the times when another Superhero is jobbing.

• please, how does that show Good judgement???🤦

👉People who use the word ‛‛jobber’’ to judge between 2 different characters are Unwise, they show lack of good judgement. BECAUSE ALL CHARACTERS ARE VICTIM OF JOBBER.

->>> So MCU cap who struggles with slower opponents, MCU cap who struggles with Opponents ridiculously Slower than Barry, will drop CW Barry Allen in a heart beat?

How will MCU cap even drop Someone he can't Perceive?

-->>> Meh, Some people are dreaming😴

LOL, Barry can do countless things to MCU Cap, before his brain had the chance to fire a single synapse.

👉Battle Forum is about knowing a Character Capabilities and applying it to the situation at hand.

CW Flash literally slips on marbles on the floor and gets hit by throwing knives from Vandal Savage.

Loading Video...

This has been the case since S1. Barry is within the striking distance of just about EVERYONE and ANYONE on screen. He'll get shot, stabbed, punched, kicked, tripped, zapped or SLIP ON STATIONARY MARBLES ON THE FLOOR.

None of his feats have value because their constantly contradicted almost immediately. Same with Oliver Queen, he goes from beating immortal super ninjas like Ras, to struggling against nameless thugs in H2H. It's laughable.

CW characters are so consistently inconsistent.

At least writers in comics and films (Marvel look to physicists to make Thanos Moon-toss reality) are there for the entire story. The same can't be said for the CW stuff and it shows.

They're not proper battle-forum material.

@isaac_clarke: I mean half of what you wrote is absolutely nothing to do with physical strength in which Hulk and Thanos directly scale above Thor in due to feats against him alone nvm there singular feats. Carol has some on par and Thanos scaling arguably puts her above him to.

By feats, intent and actual film commentary Thor is below the three of them.

Carol Danvers struggles physically against random Skrulls.

In Binary she is getting a physical boost in power, however its likely proportional to what is adjacent to her. Even then, she's using both her arms to stop Thanos from just snapping his fingers (directly in contact a nano-tech gauntlet filled with infinite power) which is why Thanos is able to KO her using the power-stone with the other arm.

Which is why I find it questionable if Thanos is actually stronger than post Ragnarok Thor. Thanos uses the Infinity Stones in every fight he has in IW, besides the one with the Hulk and likely used it to beat Thor at the start of the film, presumably with the help of the Black Order.

In Endgame Thanos doesn't exactly easily overpower Thor physically, its actually a struggle and this is a Thor after 5 years of alcohol and chicken wings - who about 15 minutes before acknowledged for the first time on years he feels the lightning in his veins. A diminished Thor was still physically able to wrestle with Thanos.

I don't know what film commentary you're running on - but literally Thanos has no physical strength feats beyond fighting Infinity War Hulk and Endgame Thor. Thor in Infinity War on the other hand DOES THIS:

Loading Video...

As far as superhero films go, this is probably one of the best (if not best) strength feat on screen.

• Thor's helping CREATE the MOMENTUM to MOVE STAR SIZED RINGS that are in extreme CLOSE ORBIT to the star with a twirl of his body.
  • Then HOLDS ONTO Rocket's ship MATCHING THE FORCE of that SAME MOMENTUM while ANCHORING HIMSELF into the STAR-SIZED RINGS.

If Thor fails to get Rocket's ship to the speed it needs to be, if he fails to hold onto it, if he fails to keep his footing, this feat doesn't happen.

It's a BONKERS feat of strength.

The Hulk has NOTHING on this scale and we never see Thanos fight this Thor (beyond STORMBREAKER being thrown into his chest). I don't care what audio commentary you've listened to, because THIS IS what's on screen.

People not putting Thor 1 or 2 on their lists have lost their minds if they think anyone beyond Christopher Reeve's Superman has done ANYTHING close on this list.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isaac_clarke: I think what you are missing is all 3 characters could also copy the nidavellir feats and the filmmakers confirm as much in the commentary saying that only someone if Thirs godly strength or above could do so, Thor might have the highest feat but hes consistently shown to be far weaker than Hulk and same goes for Thanos and now Carol.

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You misunderstood, what I mean is that Faora and Nam Ek kept up with Clark in the physical department despite the fact that he didn't take any damage beforehand (Clark destroyed the World Engine after his fight with them). And Zod is their superior, as you agreed.

I mean, yes? What is the point you are trying to make here? Also, Faora and Nam Ek kept up, but they also received worse attacks than they could throw at Clark. Zod is their superior, but he was also dominating the fight against Clark for a bit until Clark eventually overpowered him at the end. What is this supposed to prove?

Perhaps there would be a slight difference if I concentrated better before lifting something heavy, but the difference is just that - slight. Do you seriously believe that Clark's strength increased by a factor of millions just because he concentrated?

I never said it would increase that drastically, and I was implying that there was something more than the concentration that could be a factor. Being able shift a tectonic plate is a massive outlier feat for Clark considering what goes on in both MoS and BvS, so I'm just trying to reason how that outlier could be explained here. It's already entirely questionable if that feat happens or more importantly how exactly it was done.

Clark was clearly exerting effort in his fight with Zod, indicating that he was using whatever strength he had to the fullest. To my understanding, you're suggesting that 99% of Clark's strength was behind a locked door which he could only unlock with concentration and experience, but that's simply not how strength works in real life, and there's no indication of this in the movies.

I never said or suggested 99% of it was unlocked. Shifting a tectonic plate would be a drastic change, yes, but we don't know how Clark would've gone about doing it that's why I said he might've gotten stronger in a similar manner he did in Man of Steel. You said that's not how strength works, and there's no indication of the movie. Does this mean you think Clark going from struggling with an oil rig to destroying the World Engine was no change at all? He didn't unlock anything in between those instances?

As for the World Engine, Snyder himself made it clear that such level of power was not his intention for Clark: link. Getting knocked out by a cruise missile fits well with Clark's performance at the oil rig, not one-shotting a machine that remained unscathed after landing so hard that the resulting shockwave pulverized a mountain, while in a weakened state and resisting the gravity beam.

I mean there is clearly a contradiction in Snyder's work if that's the case, but we the audience have to take it for what it is. Not what the filmmaker intended, but failed to show. I also don't know if you can exactly make a direct comparison between a cruise missile or what happened at the oil-rig. He gets knocked out in both situations, but the point of me bringing up the oil-rig is to compare strength (between that and the world engine), whereas the missile compares durability (compared to the oil-rig).

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

said:

1. MCU Cap

2. Everyone else

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_logos_:

I mean, yes? What is the point you are trying to make here? Also, Faora and Nam Ek kept up, but they also received worse attacks than they could throw at Clark. Zod is their superior, but he was also dominating the fight against Clark for a bit until Clark eventually overpowered him at the end. What is this supposed to prove?

You're saying that Zod can't scale from Clark because Clark took some damage right before they fought. So, I brought up that Faora and Nam Ek do scale from Clark, because Clark didn't take any damage before they fought. Zod > Faora and Nam Ek, so he too, scales from Clark.

I never said it would increase that drastically, and I was implying that there was something more than the concentration that could be a factor. Being able shift a tectonic plate is a massive outlier feat for Clark considering what goes on in both MoS and BvS, so I'm just trying to reason how that outlier could be explained here. It's already entirely questionable if that feat happens or more importantly how exactly it was done.

You didn't say it would increase that drastically, but that's how drastically it must increase in order for the tectonic feat to be justified.

Again, I'm operating under the assumption that the tectonic feat is legitimate.

I never said or suggested 99% of it was unlocked. Shifting a tectonic plate would be a drastic change, yes, but we don't know how Clark would've gone about doing it that's why I said he might've gotten stronger in a similar manner he did in Man of Steel.

I can't think of any way Clark could have shifted the plate with his strength without having the strength to shift the plate. We don't know how Clark went about doing it but there isn't much we can assume.

You said that's not how strength works, and there's no indication of the movie. Does this mean you think Clark going from struggling with an oil rig to destroying the World Engine was no change at all? He didn't unlock anything in between those instances?

No, this is just inconsistency, as supported by Clark's struggle to lift a trainafter MoS. It is also supported by Zack's chart.

I mean there is clearly a contradiction in Snyder's work if that's the case, but we the audience have to take it for what it is. Not what the filmmaker intended, but failed to show.

I disagree. Let's take a look at shockwaves.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

vs

No Caption Provided

The mountain-busting shockwave created by the World Engine makes Clark and Zod's clashes look pathetic. So, going by what we see on-screen, the World Engine immediately becomes a huge outlier since the Kryptonians were unable to replicate even a fraction of such destruction when hitting each other with full force. When we take intent into consideration, however, we acknowledge that shockwaves (and their intensity) are an artistic choice, one the directors often don't make. As such, we ignore the clear discrepancy in power that we see on-screen because of the likely possibility that the writers didn't intend it to exist.

I can provide many more examples when the authorial intent overrides what literally happens on-screen. Bullets, for example. If you watch any live-action gunfight in slow motion, you'll see that the bullets are a lot slower than their real life counterparts. So, would you say that bullets in live action are slower than cars on the freeway (as they are on-screen), or would you say that bullets in live action are as fast as actual bullets (as they are intended to be)?

I also don't know if you can exactly make a direct comparison between a cruise missile or what happened at the oil-rig. He gets knocked out in both situations, but the point of me bringing up the oil-rig is to compare strength (between that and the world engine), whereas the missile compares durability (compared to the oil-rig).

Strength and durability flow into each other. For one, Clark flew into the Engine headfirst, so the force applied on him is equal to that which destroyed the Engine, meaning that his durability is already up there. Second, Doomsday gets WE scaling, so Clark's ability to take multiple attacks from the monster also suggests that his durability is on this level of strength.

GXrevs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imagine putting Thanos above DCEU Superman.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_logos_:

You're saying that Zod can't scale from Clark because Clark took some damage right before they fought. So, I brought up that Faora and Nam Ek do scale from Clark, because Clark didn't take any damage before they fought. Zod > Faora and Nam Ek, so he too, scales from Clark.

Actually I don't think I ever really said we can't scale Zod from DCEU Supes because he might've been weakened. I suggested Supes might've been weakened in that fight, but I never really said it outright because it may or may not have been the case.

You didn't say it would increase that drastically, but that's how drastically it must increase in order for the tectonic feat to be justified.

Again, I'm operating under the assumption that the tectonic feat is legitimate.

If you believe it's legitimate then there's really nothing much else to be said here. Supes would be outright stronger than anyone else on this list. That's especially why it's considered an outlier feat, the difference between the Oil-Rig to moving the Space Ship and busting up the World Engine is nothing compared to moving a Tectonic Plate.

I can't think of any way Clark could have shifted the plate with his strength without having the strength to shift the plate. We don't know how Clark went about doing it but there isn't much we can assume.

It depends on how he shifted that plate and whether or not he did it directly. I mean how would you move a tectonic plate in the real world if you could do that? It's not such a simple answer as just move it. Though I suspect that's probably what the writers were thinking when they wrote that headline anyways.

You said that's not how strength works, and there's no indication of the movie. Does this mean you think Clark going from struggling with an oil rig to destroying the World Engine was no change at all? He didn't unlock anything in between those instances?

No, this is just inconsistency, as supported by Clark's struggle to lift a trainafter MoS. It is also supported by Zack's chart.

I'm just operating based on the films here. Based on the movies that train feat seems like an outlier tbh.

I mean there is clearly a contradiction in Snyder's work if that's the case, but we the audience have to take it for what it is. Not what the filmmaker intended, but failed to show.

I disagree. Let's take a look at shockwaves.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

vs

No Caption Provided

The mountain-busting shockwave created by the World Engine makes Clark and Zod's clashes look pathetic. So, going by what we see on-screen, the World Engine immediately becomes a huge outlier since the Kryptonians were unable to replicate even a fraction of such destruction when hitting each other with full force. When we take intent into consideration, however, we acknowledge that shockwaves (and their intensity) are an artistic choice, one the directors often don't make. As such, we ignore the clear discrepancy in power that we see on-screen because of the likely possibility that the writers didn't intend it to exist.

I can provide many more examples when the authorial intent overrides what literally happens on-screen. Bullets, for example. If you watch any live-action gunfight in slow motion, you'll see that the bullets are a lot slower than their real life counterparts. So, would you say that bullets in live action are slower than cars on the freeway (as they are on-screen), or would you say that bullets in live action are as fast as actual bullets (as they are intended to be)?

This is just bad logic. Why would Clark's punches necessarily have to generate shockwaves similar to the World Engine... If I remember correctly Clark was just fighting against the World Engine's beam and then eventually rode into it caused enough damage for it to explode. Even if Clark could replicate the same kind of shockwave he's not going to output that in just a few quick punches. He had the time and focus when he eventually overpowered the World Engine's gravity beam and blew up the ship.

Author's intent can be important when there is something that is left vague for us. In this case, if authorial intent contradicts what is actually being shown are we supposed to just throw out what the work actually shows versus what the author meant it for it be? I certainly don't think so. I mean by this logic all of J.K. Rowling's tweets and comments about her books are also supposed to be taken as the truth.

Strength and durability flow into each other. For one, Clark flew into the Engine headfirst, so the force applied on him is equal to that which destroyed the Engine, meaning that his durability is already up there. Second, Doomsday gets WE scaling, so Clark's ability to take multiple attacks from the monster also suggests that his durability is on this level of strength.

Technically it should. Whether writers think about equal and opposite reactions in fiction though is questionable.

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_logos_:

Actually I don't think I ever really said we can't scale Zod from DCEU Supes because he might've been weakened. I suggested Supes might've been weakened in that fight, but I never really said it outright because it may or may not have been the case.

It was one of the main reasons for your uncertainty in Zod's ablity to replicate Clark's feat.

If you believe it's legitimate then there's really nothing much else to be said here. Supes would be outright stronger than anyone else on this list. That's especially why it's considered an outlier feat, the difference between the Oil-Rig to moving the Space Ship and busting up the World Engine is nothing compared to moving a Tectonic Plate.

No, I don't believe it's legitimate for a variety of reasons, but another user made that assumption, so I questioned his logic under that assumption, as Zod should scale from whatever Clark is capable of.

This is just bad logic. Why would Clark's punches necessarily have to generate shockwaves similar to the World Engine... If I remember correctly Clark was just fighting against the World Engine's beam and then eventually rode into it caused enough damage for it to explode.

Exactly - the fact that he could damage the Engine when its landing couldn't is what makes his bullrush more powerful than the landing impact.

No Caption Provided

Even if Clark could replicate the same kind of shockwave he's not going to output that in just a few quick punches. He had the time and focus when he eventually overpowered the World Engine's gravity beam and blew up the ship.

Not only was Clark weakened when he destroyed the machine, but he was also overpowering its gravitational pull. This means that in a regular state and without such force hindering him, his bullrushes are much more powerful. And yet, not a single one of his numerous bullrushes ever generates a comparable shockwave, which would be clear contradiction if not for authorial intent.

Author's intent can be important when there is something that is left vague for us. In this case, if authorial intent contradicts what is actually being shown are we supposed to just throw out what the work actually shows versus what the author meant it for it be?

Yes. That is, unless you think bullets in movies/shows are only as fast as cars on the highway.

Here is another example: link. This little kid just no-sold a fall at terminal velocity. Even though he was caught, such impact would decimate any regular human. So, would you say that he has vastly superhuman durability (as his feat suggests), or would you say that he's as durable as a normal kid (as he's intended to be)?

I mean by this logic all of J.K. Rowling's tweets and comments about her books are also supposed to be taken as the truth.

Yeah, they should be taken as the truth. Inaccuracies might occur if a lot of time passes between the books and the statement (in which case she might forget what her intent was), or if it's likely that she had to say something for political purposes.

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladeoffury said:

It was one of the main reasons for your uncertainty in Zod's ablity to replicate Clark's feat.

Nah my main reason was that we don't know what changes Clark might've undergone between MoS and BvS. Mainly because the tectonic plate feat would be a step above anything he had previously done. Whether he was weakened or not was more of a suggestion.

No, I don't believe it's legitimate for a variety of reasons, but another user made that assumption, so I questioned his logic under that assumption, as Zod should scale from whatever Clark is capable of

I'm curious now. What are the reasons you don't believe in it?

This is just bad logic. Why would Clark's punches necessarily have to generate shockwaves similar to the World Engine... If I remember correctly Clark was just fighting against the World Engine's beam and then eventually rode into it caused enough damage for it to explode.

Exactly - the fact that he could damage the Engine when its landing couldn't is what makes his bullrush more powerful than the landing impact.

The ship is also withstanding the power of its gravity beam as well. It's landing created a huge shockwave, yes, but it didn't topple mountains or anything if I remember correctly. It seems like the shockwave caused carried a lot of debris and smoke more than anything. Also Clark entered it from its bottom which may have been vulnerable and then he pierced out of it creating one hole, which wouldn't be the equivalent of the thing completely cracking apart from a hard landing.

Even if Clark could replicate the same kind of shockwave he's not going to output that in just a few quick punches. He had the time and focus when he eventually overpowered the World Engine's gravity beam and blew up the ship.

Not only was Clark weakened when he destroyed the machine, but he was also overpowering its gravitational pull. This means that in a regular state and without such force hindering him, his bullrushes are much more powerful. And yet, not a single one of his numerous bullrushes ever generates a comparable shockwave, which would be clear contradiction if not for authorial intent.

Or maybe it doesn't have to work that way even if Clark was outputting the same kind of strength in his punches. It's either that or Clark just wasn't hitting as hard as he had to when he was put under the pressure of the World Engine. Clark seemed to be in desperation when he was fighting against the world engine which could also explain why it's such a high showing. He wasn't in the same kind of desperation with Zod. At that point, Clark already foiled everything for Zod, and he just wanted to end things in an easy way until Zod wasn't making that possible.

Author's intent can be important when there is something that is left vague for us. In this case, if authorial intent contradicts what is actually being shown are we supposed to just throw out what the work actually shows versus what the author meant it for it be?

Yes. That is, unless you think bullets in movies/shows are only as fast as cars on the highway.

Here is another example: link. This little kid just no-sold a fall at terminal velocity. Even though he was caught, such impact would decimate any regular human. So, would you say that he has vastly superhuman durability (as his feat suggests), or would you say that he's as durable as a normal kid (as he's intended to be)?

I should specify that when I mean what we're actually seeing. I mean what the intent behind the showing was versus future author statements about it. A classic example would be Obi-Wan having the high-ground versus Anakin on Mustafar.

I mean by this logic all of J.K. Rowling's tweets and comments about her books are also supposed to be taken as the truth.

Yeah, they should be taken as the truth. Inaccuracies might occur if a lot of time passes between the books and the statement (in which case she might forget what her intent was), or if it's likely that she had to say something for political purposes.

I mean you can consider them as the author's explanation, but not necessarily the truth itself. The truth is whatever occurs in the work, the interpretation of what happens becomes everyone else's truth. The problem is when the author's explanation (author's truth) contradicts what actually happens in the book especially for politically motivated reasons. Should we still take that as the truth even when what actually happens and even the most logical explanations contradict it? You can't subvert reality based on future comments especially when they could just be a straight-up lie.

You can make a note on the side the author stated this or that, but the main thing you are going to go with is what the work was originally trying to show. If the author's statements are not too far off then it would make sense to listen to it, but always keeping notes to specify is still helpful. If an author's statements correct a point of uncertainty then it would be reasonable to listen to it. Sadly, the authors might still take those opportunities to give inaccurate information as well, but at that point you just have to make the distinction yourself and justify it.

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_logos_:

Nah my main reason was that we don't know what changes Clark might've undergone between MoS and BvS. Mainly because the tectonic plate feat would be a step above anything he had previously done. Whether he was weakened or not was more of a suggestion.

What changes do you think Clark might've undergone?

I'm curious now. What are the reasons you don't believe in it?

Mostly the fact that it was a small headline in the background (which suggests that little intent went into it), and that it's an outlier (the oil rig, the train, and Snyder's chart all contradict it).

The ship is also withstanding the power of its gravity beam as well. It's landing created a huge shockwave, yes, but it didn't topple mountains or anything if I remember correctly. It seems like the shockwave caused carried a lot of debris and smoke more than anything.

The mountain was obliterated. You can see here that it's completely gone.

Also Clark entered it from its bottom which may have been vulnerable and then he pierced out of it creating one hole, which wouldn't be the equivalent of the thing completely cracking apart from a hard landing.

I think it's fair to assume that the Kryptonians didn't just break pieces off of their only World Engine for a cool landing, so the machine was likely unscathed by the impact. Clark's ability to fly straight through it (in a weakened state despite having to overpower the gravity beam) is ridiculously impressive.

Or maybe it doesn't have to work that way even if Clark was outputting the same kind of strength in his punches. It's either that or Clark just wasn't hitting as hard as he had to when he was put under the pressure of the World Engine. Clark seemed to be in desperation when he was fighting against the world engine which could also explain why it's such a high showing. He wasn't in the same kind of desperation with Zod. At that point, Clark already foiled everything for Zod, and he just wanted to end things in an easy way until Zod wasn't making that possible.

Get outta here, he was clearly trying his hardest to beat Zod, not holding back 99% of his strength. Clark didn't create WE-level shockwaves when he was bullrushing Doomsday either, and I'm sure you would agree that he wasn't holding back there.

Your first answer is correct: it doesn't have to work that way. Specifically, these huge shockwaves are an artistic choice, one the directors often choose not to make. If we go by what we see on-screen, however, the Engine becomes a clear contradiction based on the shockwave disparity.

I should specify that when I mean what we're actually seeing. I mean what the intent behind the showing was versus future author statements about it. A classic example would be Obi-Wan having the high-ground versus Anakin on Mustafar.

I'm unaware of the SW statement you're referring to.

I mean you can consider them as the author's explanation, but not necessarily the truth itself. The truth is whatever occurs in the work,

The truth is whatever the writers intended to occur in the work while they were writing said work. So I wouldn't pass off bullets being slower than cars as the truth, even though they occurred in the work.

the interpretation of what happens becomes everyone else's truth. The problem is when the author's explanation (author's truth) contradicts what actually happens in the book especially for politically motivated reasons. Should we still take that as the truth even when what actually happens and even the most logical explanations contradict it? You can't subvert reality based on future comments especially when they could just be a straight-up lie.

You're arguing that an author statement isn't as good of an indicator of intent as what we see on-screen? We can't really generalize here, and this decision must be made on a case-by-case basis. When authors discuss their past work, they are supposed to be discussing their intent behind past work. I can only think of two complications at the moment: politics (the author is encouraged to give a false statement to satisfy someone's political agenda) and forgetfulness (the author forgets what his intention was).

There is obviously no political factor in Snyder's chart, and he didn't forget what his intent for the movie was either, since the chart was actually constructed before the movie and was used to depict the power levels. I also find it unlikely that John DesJardin forgot the chart by such a significant amount, as he was the visual effects supervisor and it was basically his job to make the chart's contents come to pass in the movie. So there isn't much reason for a discrepancy between the intent and DesJardin's recount of the chart.

Feats involve a greater problem: they're influenced by plot and other decorating elements. Specifically, writers sometimes give characters feats beyond their capabilities in order to advance the plot (we call that PIS), or even to make cool looking scenes. This problem doesn't exist in Snyder's chart, as there is no PIS without plot and no decorating elements with no story to decorate.

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The hell? In what world is Iron Man or Thanos Stronger than DCEU Superman , Kara Or Routh Superman? And Iron Man stronger than Shazam? The hell is wrong with you people

Bayman007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Kryptonians are way ahead in the lead. Lol at people putting Thanos ahead of even DCEU Supes

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By _Logos_

What changes do you think Clark might've undergone?

Like I said, just generally being able to unleash more of his strength in a situation where he isn't weakened like he was under the World Engine. I'm still going with the idea that if Clark were able to actually perform the tectonic feat it would be the result of him mastering his powers better like in MoS.

Mostly the fact that it was a small headline in the background (which suggests that little intent went into it), and that it's an outlier (the oil rig, the train, and Snyder's chart all contradict it).

Fair enough. I disagree with Snyder's chart being relevant to the actual movies though.

I think it's fair to assume that the Kryptonians didn't just break pieces off of their only World Engine for a cool landing, so the machine was likely unscathed by the impact. Clark's ability to fly straight through it (in a weakened state despite having to overpower the gravity beam) is ridiculously impressive.

Yes, but not as impressive as you made it out to be when you were comparing the World Engine's landing durability, which was the point I was trying to make.

Get outta here, he was clearly trying his hardest to beat Zod, not holding back 99% of his strength. Clark didn't create WE-level shockwaves when he was bullrushing Doomsday either, and I'm sure you would agree that he wasn't holding back there.

All I said was that Clark wasn't in the same kind of desperation against Zod as he was in the World Engine. Also trying to beat Zod requires more than a matter of strength I'm sure you realize so even if he was trying his hardest to fight it doesn't mean he was outputting his maximum strength in the same way he did against the WE. I tried to back up the other idea here is all. I am and have been of the opinion that the punches didn't need to generate the same kind of shockwaves.

Your first answer is correct: it doesn't have to work that way. Specifically, these huge shockwaves are an artistic choice, one the directors often choose not to make.If we go by what we see on-screen, however, the Engine becomes a clear contradiction based on the shockwave disparity.

Except again you could further in your logic of trying to explain the disparity between the shockwaves. If you believe the hits are as strong as the World Engine feat and should generate shockwaves, then what would be happening is both Zod's and Clark's bodies are absorbing most of the impact that stops shockwaves. So again don't know why you made the argument in the first place when the intent was for Supes and Zod to be fighting without shaking the entire city like in the comic books.

The truth is whatever the writers intended to occur in the work while they were writing said work. So I wouldn't pass off bullets being slower than cars as the truth, even though they occurred in the work.

Well, whatever the writer wanted in the work at the time is usually what ends up occurring at the work, so yeah. If the writer made something accidental then later admits to it, then that usually has to be reasoned with. If it's something like making bullets slower than cars but admitting that was a mistake it's up to readers whether or not to believe it.

You're arguing that an author statement isn't as good of an indicator of intent as what we see on-screen? We can't really generalize here, and this decision must be made on a case-by-case basis. When authors discuss their past work, they are supposed to be discussing their intent behind past work. I can only think of two complications at the moment: politics (the author is encouraged to give a false statement to satisfy someone's political agenda) and forgetfulness (the author forgets what his intention was).

Indeed. I agree.

There is obviously no political factor in Snyder's chart, and he didn't forget what his intent for the movie was either, since the chart was actually constructed before the movie and was used to depict the power levels. I also find it unlikely that John DesJardin forgot the chart by such a significant amount, as he was the visual effects supervisor and it was basically his job to make the chart's contents come to pass in the movie. So there isn't much reason for a discrepancy between the intent and DesJardin's recount of the chart.

Feats involve a greater problem: they're influenced by plot and other decorating elements. Specifically, writers sometimes give characters feats beyond their capabilities in order to advance the plot (we call that PIS), or even to make cool looking scenes. This problem doesn't exist in Snyder's chart, as there is no PIS without plot and no decorating elements with no story to decorate.

The thing is though the movie is also worked on by other people and not just Snyder. So we have to take more into account than Snyder's intentions. That's partly why I don't take Snyder's chart so seriously as it already contradicts the level where Superman technically was in MoS. I think in BvS though Snyder's chart applies more closely tbh.