In hindsight, do you agree with Sony’s decision to axe Spider-Man 4 and reboot the series?

ThorofAsgard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll In hindsight, do you agree with Sony’s decision to axe Spider-Man 4 and reboot the series? (23 votes)

Yes 22%
No 78%

Also a little OT but not really, here’s some info you probably already know about Raimi’s vision for Spider-Man 3 before Sony stepped in and ruined it.

Venom wasn't originally supposed to appear in Spider-Man 3, and Sam Raimi wanted to use that time to set up Vulture instead. Sony's original Spider-Man trilogy was revolutionary and ground-breaking for its time, and much of that success is owed to Raimi's storytelling. Unfortunately, it all fell apart with Spider-Man 3. The film was bloated with villains - Thomas Haden Church's Sandman, James Franco's Goblin, and Topher Grace's Venom - but as it turns out, there were only supposed to be two main villains and one villain that would be set up for Spider-Man 4.”

"...Although, it didn’t really turn out that way later on. Because, when they first pitched me the movie, Sandman and, of course, Franco’s transformation to the Goblin, we were who he [Spider-Man] had to deal with in the picture and Venom wasn’t even in it. They introduced at the very beginning the character of Vulture, but he was only in it briefly and then at the very end of that picture they were gonna bring The Vulture back just to sorta set the stage that he was probably going to be the main villain in Spider-Man 4. But then, obviously all of that stuff sort of derailed. Well, not so much derailed, but took a different railway."

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5d39a38bf2071
deactivated-5d39a38bf2071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

No. They should have just let Rami do his thing. Then Spider-Man wouldn’t even need the MCU. They could have actually had a successful Spider-Man centric universe with spin off movies. Oh well ifs, ands, and buts.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No. They should have just let Rami do his thing. Then Spider-Man wouldn’t even need the MCU. They could have actually had a successful Spider-Man centric universe with spin off movies. Oh well ifs, ands, and buts.

Raimi is literally the one who told them to reboot, tho.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way Spider-Man 3 turned out, they kinda just had to. I feel like if Spider-Man 3 had been different and was as good as the first and second films there would’ve been a fourth.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I wanted Spider-man 4.

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

No. I wanted Spider-Man 4.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree with how they handled Spiderman 3 by not giving Raimi creative control.

I want to see Spiderman 4 and I disagree with Sony.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mazahs117: @mazahs117:

It was their fault tho. Raimi didn't want to make Spiderman 3 the way it was and was practically forced to do it.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9 socajunkie  Moderator

Spider-Man 3 wasn’t bad enough to warrant a reboot.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs said:

@mazahs117: @mazahs117:

It was their fault tho. Raimi didn't want to make Spiderman 3 the way it was and was practically forced to do it.

I understand, and that very well may be. But whatever happened with the relationship between SONY and Raimi during the production of the film, the damage was done. For them to try another film with them not being on the same page probably would’ve resulted in another awful film. It was best to just let sleeping dogs lye.

Killermovies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd gladly trade both MCU Spider-Mans for a good Spider-Man 4

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clearly not. TASM and TASM 2 are the lowest grossing live action Spider-Man movies even without adjusting for a full decade of inflation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd
deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@socajunkie said:

Spider-Man 3 wasn’t bad enough to warrant a reboot.

And to this day its still the highest grossing Spider-Man movie. It really was unnecessary.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2e53518e897
deactivated-5d2e53518e897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the original trilogy, but I didn't see the point for another film. The reboots led to Spider-Man being involved in with other Marvel characters, so I think it was the right call.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2