im sick of Marvel making Thor a punching bag for everyone

Godbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godbreaker

it seems like fraction, bendis... marvel itself.... and especially Joe Quesada hate him...

im not a thor fanboy by no means, and even if your not a big thor fan.. you should know he is one of the most powerful characters in the marvel universe, and that he shouldn't get beat rarely at all...

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Blood1991

Well that would be boring to read about. In big events he gets defeated to show the gravity of the situation. I agree most of it is crap, but if Thor swooped in and defeated everyone with ease what would be the point of reading it?

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#3  Edited By Deadcool

No, they hate Hank Pym...

Godbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Godbreaker

@Blood1991: which is why he should be facing more cosmic threats, then dealing with earthly threats

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Blood1991

@Godbreaker: He did just go toe to toe with the PF in his defense, but he is an Avenger and a majority of his team are much weaker than him so they play him off as weaker to put them on more equal terms. It happens in team ups as well when someone like Daredevil is teamed up with someone like Iron Man. A good writer can make use of every member of the team and do them justice, but Fraction nor Bendis are as strong of writers as Marvel like to play them off.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Thor isn't and has never been a punching bag...

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Thor was hardly a punching bag in Fear Itself. He singlehandedly killed a low-end Skyfather while suffering from wounds received from his battles with Galactus and Angrir/Nul. I'd say that's pretty beast.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

What comics are you people reading where Thor isn't still a powerhouse? Where is all this "writers hate Thor" and "Thor is a punching bag" stuff coming from? Did I miss something? 

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Vance Astro said:
What comics are you people reading where Thor isn't still a powerhouse? Where is all this "writers hate Thor" and "Thor is a punching bag" stuff coming from? Did I miss something? 
Fanboys don't like it when their favourites are shown as anything but invincible. Simple as that, really.  
Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

@Vance Astro said:

I honestly have no idea what the OP is babbling about. Sure, Thor gets underwritten occasionally for plot purposes, but other than that, 616 Thor is a staple of a well-written character within Marvel.

Ultimate Thor has been going through an immense amount of suffering lately, but it fits well and he still remains a badass despite losing his magic.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
@Vance Astro said:
Fanboys don't like it when their favourites are shown as anything but invincible. Simple as that, really.  
@Illuminatus said:

@Vance Astro said:

I honestly have no idea what the OP is babbling about. Sure, Thor gets underwritten occasionally for plot purposes, but other than that, 616 Thor is a staple of a well-written character within Marvel.

Ultimate Thor has been going through an immense amount of suffering lately, but it fits well and he still remains a badass despite losing his magic.

That's what I thought.
XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This didn't age well...

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh how drastically things change in the span of 6 years

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmao this thread is a great example of the “this didn’t age well” saying

X

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol.

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, Thor is an even bigger punching bag now than he was 6 years ago. It's only a matter of time before he's officially a Mid-Tier.

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_z94 said:

Lol, Thor is an even bigger punching bag now than he was 6 years ago. It's only a matter of time before he's officially a Mid-Tier.

No... No God Please No

X

Avatar image for deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4
deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@jay_z94: Sure, Ben Grimm used to be reapected as one of the most powerful heroes of earth at one point two, before he got this treatment any other issue and fans no longer could buy it.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The span of years from 2007-2014 showed Thor as an absolute, literal god and I thought he was portrayed fantastically

Torrentio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-60758db60e021
deactivated-60758db60e021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Ah, yes,

Showing Thor get beaten down on multiple occasions for the sake of your own artistic inclinations = hating the character.

Genius logic.

Underfire47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg:

How about now in 2020?

Now he spends most of the time picking up his teeth of the ground.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc63aec061e5
deactivated-5fc63aec061e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone reading the current Avengers run? Thor is getting bodied in every issue lol.

NicolascageGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NicolascageGOD

@necrogod said:

Anyone reading the current Avengers run? Thor is getting bodied in every issue lol.

The one by Jason Aaron or the empyre one? Honestly the only time he didn't get bodied was when they fought Blaze in hell in The Aaron run. I'm surprised Thor lasted that long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicolascagegod:

Of course I'm talking about Aaron's. What is even funnier is that he's now the Allfather and has insta access to Odin Force.

I haven't read any issues from Empyre. How's it?

Honestly the only time he didn't get bodied was when they fought Blaze in hell in The Aaron run. I'm surprised Thor lasted that long

Lol I thought the same. The fact that he lasted that long seems like an outlier if we consider his portrayal nowadays as accurate. Things like those used to be day to day shit for Thor before 2014

NicolascageGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NicolascageGOD

@necrogod said:

@nicolascagegod:

Of course I'm talking about Aaron's. What is even funnier is that he's now the Allfather and has insta access to Odin Force.

I haven't read any issues from Empyre. How's it?

Honestly the only time he didn't get bodied was when they fought Blaze in hell in The Aaron run. I'm surprised Thor lasted that long

Lol I thought the same. The fact that he lasted that long seems like an outlier if we consider his portrayal nowadays as accurate. Things like those used to be day to day shit for Thor before 2014

I haven't read it either but from what I know Thor hasn't really been bodied as of now , unless it has changed and the Aaron force has been brought back.

Honestly it's quite surprising it wasn't a one-sided given Aaron has worked on Ghost rider before.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicolascagegod:

I haven't read it either but from what I know Thor hasn't really been bodied as of now

Got owned by Jane Foster Valkyrie, got one-shot by Mjolnir wielding Captain America, got bullied by Ursa Major, got KO'd the f out by being hit by a moon that came at MFTL speeds etc.

infected Ewing too.

Ewing's Immortal Hulk is very impressive and it's definitely one of the best solo series I've read. I don't see a problem with Thor getting incapped by Hulk in one hit given Hulk's current portrayal but the fact that the other Avengers did better against Hulk than Thor is kinda shitty though. Also his fight against Totally Awesome Hulk was horrible and was pure hulk wank by Greg Pak.

Honestly it's quite surprising it wasn't a oneshot given Aaron has worked on Ghost rider before.

Agreed

Underfire47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno where people get the idea that any of the other Avengers did better against Immortal Hulk then Thor, all of the ones that got hit by him got one-shot same as Thor. The one that did the best you could argue is She-Hulk but that makes sense given her current portrayal, she seems to be as much of a tank as Hulk himself.

yoyoyoyoBidD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is old thread, no one is owning thor as of now

Torrentio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Torrentio

@necrogod: When did the Captain America and Ursa Major stuff happen? Scans?

Torrentio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Torrentio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@necrogod: Atleast with TA Hulk he handled Jane as well. So its consistent.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 cocacolaman  Moderator

Thor has consistently been high tier to the point he's possibly the easiest way for Marvel to establish a high tier villain.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg:

How about now in 2020?

He's still mostly portrayed as a high tier. He has some low showings, but so does every character.

cosmic_reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cosmic_reign

@cocacolaman said:

Thor has consistently been high tier to the point he's possibly the easiest way for Marvel to establish a high tier villain.

^ It does seem that Marvel tends to use certain characters as a scaling system. Galactus(Devourer) is another good example. IMO

Torrentio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg: but gets beat up more than any high tier character.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg: but gets beat up more than any high tier character.

Well he is on the Avengers

Torrentio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Torrentio

In the original stories, even if he got beat up he looked better than most. Nowadays he.gets embarassed the most . Things like War of Realms are dime a dozen.

Torrentio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cosmic_reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By cosmic_reign
Avatar image for deactivated-62bb20d3566c2
deactivated-62bb20d3566c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Thor’s has some embarrassing showings recently, like getting his head cracked by Immortal Hulk and IIRC struggled with Moon Knight. I wouldn’t classify him as a jobber though.

cosmic_reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By cosmic_reign

@noobmaster2001 said:

Thor’s has some embarrassing showings recently, like getting his head cracked by Immortal Hulk and IIRC struggled with Moon Knight. I wouldn’t classify him as a jobber though.

Lol...

I do agree low showings are inevitable, and sure most if not all characters have them.

But yeah, Thor is by far NO jobber IMO. He's actually one of my favs due to his character(more so than power/feats). His determination and resiliency are almost unmatched.

As mentioned in an earlier post, these showing can potentially be used for scaling.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noobmaster2001 said:

Lol...

I do agree low showings are inevitable, and sure most if not all characters have them.

But yeah, Thor is by far NO jobber IMO. He's actually one of my favs due to his character(more so than power/feats). His determination and resiliency is almost unmatched.

As mentioned in an earlier post, these showing can potentially be used for scaling.

Yeah, I think I can agree with that.

What post and what scaling? To Apocalypse?

cosmic_reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@torrentio:

Getting one-shot by Cap wielding Mjolnir

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Getting bullied by Ursa Major

No Caption Provided

Jane Foster incident happened in Valkyrie Jane Foster Vol.1 #9 & #10 IIRC.

And recently in Empyre he struggled to break free from some fu@$ing plant trap and was totally helpless had Mjolnir not returned to his hand. And we're talking about a guy who has broken secondary Adamantium cables by flexing and while weakened broken free from chains that can hold a mountain sized Old God who can wrestle with black holes

And Empyre : Thor book has been cancelled as well. LOL

Torrentio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Ursa Major incident was from 2018 Avengers #10 right? He doesn't look in trouble at all.

The next is from Avengers 28. Yeah that was bad.

I know about Vakyrie incident

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/thor-153/why-wont-jason-aaron-leave-thor-alone-2064415/

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/jason-aaron-at-it-again-valkyire-vs-all-father-tho-2082704/

And the Moon Knight incident was one of the biggest bullshit ever from a Marvel comic, so everyone knows.

The plant might be enchanted who knows?