If Spidey is in CA:CW will it out gross BvS?

• 89 results
yaboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By yaboi

Soooooo...Will it?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Strider1992

No I wouldn't have thought so. However it might make DC up their game knowing that Marvel has another string to its bow. I know if I was in their shoes I would be concerned that my competitor just got its most profitable character back.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These two can go either way it depends which one people like more.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zaied

No. If Civil War out grosses Dawn of Justice it won't be because of Spider-Man. The fans who were going to see CW were going to see it regardless if Spider-Man was in it.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

It already had a chance, Spidey gives Civil War an even bigger chance.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...............No

yaboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By yaboi

@strider92: @kfabz-23: At the risk of sounding bias I think CA:CW is gonna wreck BvS. And that's not just me being a fanboy. For me logic tips the scales heavely in Marvel's favor. At the very least the novelty of Spidey returning home to the MCU and being in his proper place for the first time is equal to the novelty of Batman and Superman together for the first time. If i'm right name one advantage DC has in this bout. None. But if those two noveltys do cancel each other out I can think of another 20 advantages Marvel has over DC.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. However it might make DC up their game knowing that Marvel has another string to its bow. I know if I was in their shoes I would be concerned that my competitor just got its most profitable character back.

@yaboi said:

@strider92:

I guess if I was DC I would look at like, not only has my competitor got their most profitable character back but they were already way ahead of us. DC was just about to finally try and make its move when this happened. One things for sure DC is having atleast a weeks long meeting over this.

I think you guys are reading a bit much into things. Why should DC be concerned about what Marvel is doing, when it's quite clear the tone and characters DC will be using is far different from Marvel? Marvel can now use Spider-Man? Great.

I highly doubt it would mean DC does anything simply as a knee-jerk reaction. More than likely DC has a plan. What Marvel does should not impact those plans. DC has all it's characters to use. DC has great stories to pull from.

The smart thing for DC to do is stay the course and not get rattled. There's enough money to be made out their for both companies to make bank.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not like Spidey hasn't been all over theaters for the past decade and a half. As far as the common moviegoer is concerned (the very same ones that ask why Superman or Batman wasn't in the Avengers) nothing has really changed.

Further still, his role is a cameo. CA's success won't be dependent on what the web head brings in his appearance. It will be on the movie's own merit.

yaboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By yaboi

@scouterv:

I've seen DC be reactionary to Marvel over a whole lot less than this. And they will all ways be concerned what Marvel is doing because ther competitors. Just like Marvel will always be concerened about what DC is doing.

Avatar image for marvete_e_dcnauta
Marvete_e_DCnauta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe. Very Maybe.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yaboi said:

@scouterv:

I've DC be reactionary to Marvel over a whole lot less than this. And they will all ways be concerned what Marvel is doing because ther competitors. Just like Marvel will always be concerened about what DC is doing.

Seems silly to me.

Then again, I've been saying things DC should do.

Not what they would do. With that said, there's nothing really DC can do at this moment, except maybe Greenlight Wonder Woman's script or announce a casting, but it would still seem pointless and be seen as DC trying to steal hype.

And while DC and Marvel may be competitors, they are both extremely successful and both companies stand to make a lot of money. With that in mind, there is no reason to be concerned.

yaboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By yaboi

@deathpoolthet1000:

How come it has to be bait? what if someone just wants to talk about it and see what people think. If your so weak you cant talk about it seriously without getting offended GTFO while grown folks is talking.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19 the_stegman  Moderator

No.

People who were going to see it will still see it, people who weren't still won't, Spider-Man won't change their minds.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yaboi: people were going to go watch it already spiderman doesn't effect that it just makes people more excited. For all we know he may just be an after credit scene character. With movies Batman has been more successful than Spiderman so yeah it doesn't change much.

yaboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman:

U have to admit Spidey will change things at least a little. How much do u think adding Batman to MOS will change things?

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@reactor said:

Its not like Spidey hasn't been all over theaters for the past decade and a half. As far as the common moviegoer is concerned (the very same ones that ask why Superman or Batman wasn't in the Avengers) nothing has really changed.

Further still, his role is a cameo. CA's success won't be dependent on what the web head brings in his appearance. It will be on the movie's own merit.

Batman and Superman have both had many movies was well.

yaboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By yaboi

@kfabz-23:

Ugh... I hate to keep disagreeing with everyone but for one Spidey has the highest grossing trilogy of all time and probably grossed more as a franchise than any other solo hero cbm. And did it without a high profile Hollywood death involved. Tell me exactly how Batman has an advantage over Spidey.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Superguy1591

Even if Spider-Man is in CW, BvS was going to lose because Kung Fu Panda will be heavy competition and comes out the week before, while CW doesn't have a competitor up until the third week--Angry Birds.

Plus, it's an unknown property and would need stellar reviews if it is to beat CW. CW won't face a threat until Alice in Wonderland and X-Men come out 3 weeks later.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By reactor

@yaboi: It's a little different. People have been crying our for Supes and Bats in a movie, and the DC cinematic universe hadn't existed before.

It's not the same for Spider-Man, at least not cinematically. A ton of people still don't know that many of the Marvel cinematic properties are owned seprately - they think all the Marvel movies are connected, and some just haven't met up with others yet.

Point being, people already expect Marvel characters popping up in each others movies. That's not the case with Batman v Superman because this is the first time for DC characters.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yaboi: but what has happened since that trilogy? His movie sales has reduced consistently. While Batman & Superman's has increased each time consistently.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Strider1992

@scouterv: Don't get me wrong I don't think this will effect DC's plans at all but it would be silly to think this won't cause them some concern. Man Of Steel did not do as well as the Amazing Spider-man 2 (in terms of finance) despite ASM2 not being that great and despite the fact MoS had both Nolan and Snyder's name to it.

Its a bit like a football team bringing out a star player. While it might not effect what the opposing team can do it can be a serious morale test.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: I promise you that Batman v Superman will slaughter it's competition like big time.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: Man of Steel slaughtered TAS2's opening. MoS had stronger competition than TASM2, hence why it didn't last.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30 the_stegman  Moderator

@yaboi: Nope, it won't change anything.

Adding Batman to MOS changed the entire movie, title, plot,future. If they add Spidey, at most he'll have his role in the Civil War comic, at least, he'll have a cameo. Nothing groundbreaking.

Marvel fans were already going to go see it, those not a fan won't go see it cause it has one more character.

yaboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By yaboi

@kfabz-23:

IMO Spidey's decline was due to Marvel spoiling the GA. NO hero can survive know on ther own. IMO MOS failed to meet expectations as well and that's why DC jumped ship on the sequal and immediately rushed in the whole DCCU. Mark my words now that Spidey...the man, is part of a shared universe his sales are gonna rocket back to the top. TDK doesn't count for me because that was at the start of the comic boom and had a high profile death involved. Not even Batman could survive on his own NOW independent from a shared universe.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: it won't. WB made a bad decision making Snyder head their universe.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: Don't get me wrong I don't think this will effect DC's plans at all but it would be silly to think this won't cause them some concern. Man Of Steel did not do as well as the Amazing Spider-man 2 (in terms of finance) despite ASM2 not being that great and despite the fact MoS had both Nolan and Snyder's name to it.

Its a bit like a football team bringing out a star player. While it might not effect what the opposing team can do it can be a serious morale test.

To be fair though, at that point, what can you do? You said it yourself, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 wasn't even good. And let's not forget, Marvel hasn't always been the A-List movie maker it is now. Remember The Hulk movies? Early in their universe, same as MoS. It takes time to build up a repoir, but I think DC can do it if they stick with their game plan.

You're right, it's a morale test. But you pass that by sticking to the plan at hand and not getting frazzled over things you can't control or do anything about. You play your game when their star player comes out. You can't play their game. Don't even try. DC can't do Marvel movies and Marvel. So they need to do DC movies.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: I don't recall mention opening figures or how it is relevant here? Regardless the end result was

ASM: 2 = 709million

Man Of Steel = 668million

I don't see how opening figures mean anything when it still didn't gross as much at the end of the day. This was also done on character recognition alone as ASM:2 was considered a flop. What does it say when this is called a flop but still out-grossed the opposition?

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kfabz-23

@strider92: it was a flop in terms of the quality of the film. Financially it wasn't a flop at all.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

To be fair though, at that point, what can you do? You said it yourself, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 wasn't even good. And let's not forget, Marvel hasn't always been the A-List movie maker it is now. Remember The Hulk movies? Early in their universe, same as MoS. It takes time to build up a repoir, but I think DC can do it if they stick with their game plan.

You're right, it's a morale test. But you pass that by sticking to the plan at hand and not getting frazzled over things you can't control or do anything about. You play your game when their star player comes out. You can't play their game. Don't even try. DC can't do Marvel movies and Marvel. So they need to do DC movies.

Agreed. The fact of the matter is they are two very different sets of characters. So comparing them is quite hard. Its also very subjective to what choices are made by the industry and public at the time. As you said Marvel wasn't always a big player. It was thanks to Iron Man it made its way into the movie scene and that was through trial and error. They kept trying until they got it right and thats why Marvel has been successful.

I'm just a little worried DC might be jumping onto the bandwagon with this. There's a lot of characters scheduled for BvS and what with MoS not being as good as it should have been leads me to believe DC is still in as you said its "Early Universe". I hope i'm wrong because to be honest anything that makes comics more popular is a boon to all us fans regardless of whether its Marvel, DC, Image or any of the other company's out there so fighting over what will do better is counter productive. I hope BvS does well but my opinion is that DC need to take things a bit slower and do the trial and error scenario Marvel went through to get it right.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kfabz-23
Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: opening weekend matters because it shows that if MoS had continued on its potential market share and not have had competition affect its results, the figures would've been different, but, as it stands, Man of Steel faced Monster's University in week 2 of its release.

The Amazing Spider 2 didn't face another blockbuster until Godzilla a month later. The fact that it only made 700 million might mean the audience is growing weary of Spider-Man.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yaboi said:

@deathpoolthet1000:

How come it has to be bait? what if someone just wants to talk about it and see what people think. If your so weak you cant talk about it seriously without getting offended GTFO while grown folks is talking.

Third thread talking about this subject this week, without an OP.

Also bashing Batman vs Batman... uh.... i mean Batman vs Superman its the most bait thing since trash talking Man of Steel

@kfabz-23: it won't. WB made a bad decision making Snyder head their universe.

It made sense when they take the decision.

They invested on him and nerds loved him

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its going to out gross massively without spidey anyway

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: Besides 300, name one financial powerhouse helmed by Zack Snyder (doubled its budget)...

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

WHO THE F*CK CARES?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: Nerds love him, but he's only headed one movie that was a financial success.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By Cream_God

I completely forgot about BvS lol jk

yaboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: opening weekend matters because it shows that if MoS had continued on its potential market share and not have had competition affect its results, the figures would've been different, but, as it stands, Man of Steel faced Monster's University in week 2 of its release.

Monsters University did 740million which in terms of big financial money is not far of ASM: 2's gross. Are you also saying people are getting weary of the Monster's Inc franchise?

The Amazing Spider 2 didn't face another blockbuster until Godzilla a month later. The fact that it only made 700 million might mean the audience is growing weary of Spider-Man.

Godzilla made less than both ASM and MoS......

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: Nerds love him, but he's only headed one movie that was a financial success.

Well they put money on him, they have invested on him, he got praise in several aspects, in their mind sooner or later he will became what they want him to be.

Its more based on the fact they put their money on him, that in anything that makes sense.

Also they wanted Nolan as producer, when he said no, it look they panic.

yaboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000:

Did you instantly think bait thread because you feel BvS doesn't stand a chance? If not how is it a bait thread?

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Lool MAN OF STEEL!

Budget:250 Million

Grossed: 668 Million

Same thing you said about Zack could be said about the russos & James gunn who made two of the MCU best films. Not to mention that Zack delivers with a good script and Chris terrio is wrote BvS. That man made Watchmen for god sake.