If it was up to you, how powerful would you have made MCU Thanos?

DCEU_Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DCEU_Buster
No Caption Provided

If it was up to me, Thanos would have been significantly more powerful and it would have required all the heroes coming together to defeat just him. Thanos would be stronger and more durable than even Captain Marvel, the most powerful hero in the MCU and his body would have the ability to channel energy and release it as an offensive force much like Captain Marvel's photon blasts, but on a much grater scale, to the point that it can knock out the likes of Thor and Hulk. Thanos would also have the ability to telepathically communicate with people, so that he can relay orders to the Black Order and his armies without communication devices and he would have the ability to create telepathic illusions, which he would use very often to torture his victims and he would even be able to take over the mind and body of his victims and use them for his own bidding. On top of all this, Thanos would be smarter than Ironman and a better fighter than Shang Chi and he would have advanced technology that would allow him to generate force fields capable of taking attacks from Hulk and Thor and portals at will.

Zafros13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Zafros13

It would be weird if they introduce him and he has a bunch of powers that do the same thing as the infinity stones. I'd suggest they just expand on his use of the stone.

like Captain Marvel's photon blasts = gautlet blast

illusions = reality stone

"take over the mind and body of his victims and use them for his own bidding" = mind stone

force fields = space stone

portals = space stone

I think they should expand on his intellect

DCEU_Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zafros13 said:

It would be weird if he had a bunch of powers that do the same thing as the stone. I'd suggest they just expand on his use of the stone.

I disagree, having energy projection and limited telepathy wouldn't undermine the stones since the power stone's energy projection would be much powerful than his own, so he would that instead and the mind stone would enhance his telepathy like Professor X's Cerebro, other than that, the stones have unique abilities like realty warping, soul manipulation and time manipulation.

Avatar image for kryptonianking88
KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's fine imo in Infinity War and Endgame. I'd just change his subsequent appearances where he jobs for a cameo - Zombie Thanos, Illuminati Thanos, etc.

DCEU_Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's fine imo in Infinity War and Endgame. I'd just change his subsequent appearances where he jobs for a cameo - Zombie Thanos, Illuminati Thanos, etc.

Do you think they should have at least nerfed some of the heroes 'cause so many of them can solo Thanos on their own, like Captain Marvel, Wanda, Dr. Strange and some even argue "prime Thor", which is really dumb since Thanos is supposed to be the big bad of the entire franchise and was hyped up to be the most powerful being in the universe.

KingCarcosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos not being as overpowered as his comic book version forces him to think outside the box and use the Infinity Stones in inventive ways in order to defeat the Avengers, so there is no reason to change it.

What I would actually change is the fact that, at the end of the battle, Thanos was defeated by the strategy of one single character instead of a combined team effort.

Avatar image for kryptonianking88
KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dceu_buster: Wanda's fine, it seems like she's gearing to be a major player in the MCU. Carol can't solo, Thanos tanked everything she threw at him. Strange probably could by BFR. Prime Thor (lmao) is headcanon

Avatar image for deactivated-62b1c0f5c7b9a
deactivated-62b1c0f5c7b9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he was fine.. the problem was that he wasn’t as consistent as he should have been.

Scarlet Witch was easily able to restrain him in Endgame... what changed? It’s not like she learned any new tricks... she was snapped away in Infinity war yet and she couldn’t do much to him then.

And I also think Captain Marvel held him back too easily... even though it was an ambush and he didn’t care about getting caught. Thor cutting his head off without any effort was the same.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have made him mightier than Thor, at least with all 6 stones

Maybe have Thor challenge him physically and then get turned to glass in true comic spirit

goldeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should have had energy blasts, and flight like in the comics.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His level of power is honestly fine. I like that he’s not portrayed as inevitable and overpowered just by virtue of being supremely powerful personally - he can’t even beat every hero one on one. He’s inevitable because of his tremendous skill, willpower, intelligence and experience.

J_Normal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By J_Normal

His energy projection would be clear, he would have the ability to fly, and telekinesis.

He would also have a version of Super Speed where he kind of warps himself around.

This would all appear in Endgame and Not Infinity War

Zafros13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zafros13

@dceu_buster: I also think establishing a bunch of powers would sidetrack from the story which already very saturated. You introduce him as already having the power and space stone and people are going to be wondering are these abilities related to the gautlet or its own thing. Which you'd want to communicate that there not from the gautlet to the audience. Then your going to take time away from the stones to show him use all of his abilities that do the same thing as the stones to inform the audience that they exist but they won't have an impact on the story.

You establish he can shoot beams out of his hands but he has a more powerful infinity stone blast so why would he bring using his regular hand blast?

SuperDarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe have Thor challenge him physically and then get turned to glass in true comic spirit

He already wrecked Thor in Endgame without the stones lmao.

SuperDarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OT: He's fine where he is.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt said:

Who cares about variants?

Avatar image for deactivated-6349385499256
deactivated-6349385499256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He'd stay in his tier but faster in combat speed and he gets cosmic energy projection, probably equal to Hela in overall. I'd also like to give him quantifiable feats.

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He should have had energy blasts, and flight like in the comics.

SuperDarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superdarth said:
@rajjarsalt said:

The variant wasn't any more powerful than the Thanos of Infinity War.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt said:
@superdarth said:
@rajjarsalt said:

No Caption Provided

SuperDarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superdarth said:
@rajjarsalt said:
@superdarth said:
@rajjarsalt said:

No Caption Provided

?

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt said:
@superdarth said:
@rajjarsalt said:
@superdarth said:
@rajjarsalt said:

No Caption Provided

?

I agree the variant isn't more powerful - I'd say he's weaker, for obvious reasons. So it's just a low end for Thor to get punched around

WandasolosDCEU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

still fodder to Wanda.

KaiThighJu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just give him more abilities/hax to use even without the infinity stones

DCEU_Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DCEU_Buster
@zafros13 said:

@dceu_buster: I also think establishing a bunch of powers would sidetrack from the story which already very saturated. You introduce him as already having the power and space stone and people are going to be wondering are these abilities related to the gautlet or its own thing. Which you'd want to communicate that there not from the gautlet to the audience. Then your going to take time away from the stones to show him use all of his abilities that do the same thing as the stones to inform the audience that they exist but they won't have an impact on the story.

You establish he can shoot beams out of his hands but he has a more powerful infinity stone blast so why would he bring using his regular hand blast?

You're right, but I would have gave Thanos his own standalone film before Infinity War to explore his backstory and also showcase Thanos's powers and we would also see glimpses of his powers even before this, like when Thanos appears in the Guardians of the Galaxy, that's where we could have shown Thanos has the ability to talk to people telepathically and he would do this with Ronan throughout the entire film, and remember when Ironman was having nightmares of Thanos, we could just write that off as Thanos's illusions that I talked about earlier. His abilities would also look different than the stones' abilities, like Thanos's own energy blasts would be blue, his telepathy would also create a blue aura around his victim, as for his force fields and portals, Thanos wouldn't even have them in Infinity War 'cause those abilities are tied to his technology, and Thanos wouldn't need them 'cause he already starts the film off with the stones.

Avatar image for deactivated-62efaa9d3d5ff
deactivated-62efaa9d3d5ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe space rangers level lol

lazerbeak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don’t listen to guy above he is making him fodder level

At least strong enough to solo JL with ease

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think his strength and durability were fine, but he should have been faster and have energy projection + flight

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By heiqn

I'd give him all of the Eternal powers we saw from the movie. Ikaris' flight and Heat Vision, Sersi's transmutation, Kingo, Phastos energy projection, Sprite Illusion + Teleportation + much faster combat speed.

I would have made everyone stronger and faster, so he wouldn't be too OP. Avengers have to combine their power to beat him. Strange and Wanda's hax match Thanos hax, and Thor & Hulk's brute force match Thanos'

LogicBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt said:

Who HASN'T.

DCEU_Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heiqn said:

I'd give him all of the Eternal powers we saw from the movie. Ikaris' flight and Heat Vision, Sersi's transmutation, Kingo, Phastos energy projection, Sprite Illusion + Teleportation + much faster combat speed.

I would have made everyone stronger and faster, so he wouldn't be too OP. Avengers have to combine their power to beat him. Strange and Wanda's hax match Thanos hax, and Thor & Hulk's brute force match Thanos'

That's actually a very good idea, but also add Druig's TP.

warrior8411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cosmic blasts which can KO Captain marvel , HV , TK , TP resistance .

ComicGirl21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ComicGirl21

Thanos not having his technology, cosmic powers, magic and psychic abilities was and still is probably my biggest letdown to otherwise excellent Infinity War movie. And I really think all of his powers were scrapped just in for that movie, as if too many powers would've confused casual movie-goers. I understand that this is a writing decision to avoid Thanos's own powers being mistaken/mixed with what Infinity Gauntlet can do, but they really ended up writing themselves in to a corner either way. Thanos ended up being basically a purple version of professor Hulk from Endgame, even though previous sneak peaks and quotes we got about him earlier in the MCU were CLEARLY hinting at him being much more then that.

No Caption Provided

HOW is a purple Hulk believed to be the most powerful being in the universe... PRIOR to having the gauntlet and any powers whatsoever? Any random sorcerer from Earth can just one shot him with a portal slash, any random dark elf can one shot him with a BH grenade, and let's not even mention actual gods and celestials. Obviously, GotG writer assumed Thanos would have all of his awesome powers intact, for him to have built such a reputation across the universe.

No Caption Provided

And let's not forget that Thanos used to have his technology too. His floating chair that has a crapload of tech powers on its own was still in place by GotG. But for Infinity War, it was retconned into a boring, normal ass throne on some ship and Thanos doesn't seem to be using any technology at all.

No Caption Provided

Not to even mention Thanos's character change. I mean back in the Avengers end credit scene, Thanos was all grinning when he heard the words "to court death" as if he was his comicbook self, obsessed with death and known for his silly grins. But we all know that in Infinity War, he is revealed to be basically a melodramatic, misunderstood savior of the universe who just happens to use drastic measures for the greater good. And btw, I'm not saying that's a bad change. But it sure as hell is confusing and inconsistent.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Thanos definitely WAS written originally much more as his comicbook self. He wasn't just a pensive, tragic purple Hulk, he was an death-obsessed mass murderer with enough power to casually destroy worlds without any fleets involved. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense.

And these changes ended up being the biggest plotholes of Infinity War too. So like I said, they didn't really pay off whatsoever. When Strange tells us of all millions of potential outcomes there is only one when they beat Thanos, and it included Tony dying just to kill past Thanos and finish off his already nearly defeated army, nobody can take that seriously. Every CV user could've probably come up with a dozen alternative outcomes that involved Thanos being stopped much easier. I mean for crying outloud, if Strange simply BFR'd Quill into mirror dimension for one minute after Thanos was beat they would've ended the whole story on titan. And there's a hundred more ways I'm sure. There's a whole meme culture cultivated around Infinity War plotholes.

No Caption Provided

And this exact broken logic leaks into Endgame, where Thanos needs a random vibranium-cutting fidget spinner to be relevant against the Avengers at the finale, and we see several Avengers like Carol and Wanda can solo him either way.

This really shouldn't have happened. Thanos should've been at least HINTED at having some of his own powers in Infinity War, and they could've built him into a much more intimidating and powerful antagonist in the Endgame.

Avatar image for poedameronsbutt
Poedameronsbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don’t see why he should be able to fight Scarlet witch or Dr strange without the complete or any stones present. Comics or not.

I think his power level is fine, But Captain Marvel should’ve never been able to tangle with him and Iron man and Cap should have died instantly.

Mahfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicgirl21: About the last bit, do you think Thanos forsaking his powers for some twisted version of "balance"/losing his powers prior to IW and then bringing in his powered self in Endgame would have been a better direction? That is in terms of establishing his powers without confusing new comers which one were his and which were a result of the stones. While also not making him just a brick that could be beaten by bricker, brickest and basic hax in Endgame.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 modernww2fare  Online

Don’t see why he should be able to fight Scarlet witch or Dr strange without the complete or any stones present. Comics or not.

I think his power level is fine, But Captain Marvel should’ve never been able to tangle with him and Iron man and Cap should have died instantly.

This^^

ComicGirl21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mahfire: Not a bad idea. Though honestly if they just gave him VERY LITTLE of his own power... for example heat vision and his signature energy barriers, it would be pretty easy to differentiate those from infinity stones. None of them can do that. They could've just shown him using them when he fought Thor and Hulk on the Asgardian space cruiser. And then in Endgame they could've built on that and expanded his powers. That would've been the best way out of the dilemma honestly.

DCEU_Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DCEU_Buster
@poedameronsbutt said:

The issue with that is there would still be a plot hole if Strange can beat Thanos himself, like in Endgame, Strange could've BFRd Thanos to a star or a blackhole any time he wanted, but he didn't and said the only way to win is for Ironman to sacrifice himself, which made no sense.

Knightbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there were more than one character that should have had better comic book accuracy, Thanos being one of them!

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By Straight-Fire  Online

Eh, he was underwhelming to me. Dude got handled too many times.

KevinforGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will give him Superior Strength and Durability feats above Thor. He will not be Scaled to look impressive.

-Kurse easily fodderized group of asgardian soldiers, nosold Thor, Lift a small cliff and threw it, Oneshotted a force field, is very imposing.

- Malekith easily nosold a strong hit to the face from Thor,

- Hela easily stopped Mjolnir Throw from Thor like a Pro, Beat all asgardian soldiers including ones with aircraft, fire power in few minutes and easily destroyed Mjolnir like a Pro.

-BUT THANOS struggled with Captain America, Struggled with Human level Doctor Strange (Spiderman easily webbed up Doctor strange like a fodder he is when he's not even trying to fight him), Ironman easily made him bleed (Ironman can't even scratch Thor or Cull Obsidian), Star Lord can hurt him, Nebula can, Struggled to lift Hulk, not good in noselling stuff like other villains before him, even Abomination look more imposing than him, Hurt by scarlet witch attack, (The same attack that Crossbone was tanking before he died), Can never nosell Mjolnir from Captain America, no good durability that's actually above Thor outside of scaling, everyone is an Obstacle to him including Captain America, uses Iron-man as a shield so that Fat Thor can't one-shot like a Scalable fodder he is. (THANOS' POWER LEVEL IS POOR)

Dmnb2wavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dmnb2wavy

Probably just make him stronger and faster and probably flight that’s pretty much it he doesn’t need anything else.

The problem with giving thanos other powers is by the time of his introduction he already had a couple stones. Really the stones just make introducing his powers is redundant and would just be there for the sake of being there as they serve no other purpose.

Plus I feel like this should not need to be said but if thanos could solo all the heroes and not be beat by 1 or 2 of them then it look ridiculous when the heroes inevitably defeat him as he has a entire army backing him up plus him being a lot more powerful

macattack1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By macattack1

-firstly he should get more overt strength and durability feats rather than only having scaling to make him impressive. For example when Kurse slapped Mjolnir away, that kinda cool looking power, or like casually throwing a building off of himself after someone tries to crush him with it. Also no silly low ends like being staggered by street levellers, he should be no selling anything they throw at him.

- more speed feats, which is somewhat tricky without speedsters, but you could have a slow-mo scene of him sidestepping a rush from Captain marvel and grabbing her midair or something.

- some sort of other powers. I agree with others that he doesn’t need anywhere near as many as in the comics, as it makes the stones seem less relevant. But maybe just give him his energy blasts so that he has some sort of ranged attack against flyers rather than just being a brick. It also makes sense since they showed the Eternals all having golden cosmic energy powers, they could’ve given Thanos something like that for him to use like Captain Marvels photon blasts occasionally. Doesn’t have to be as powerful as the power stone, just enough to be a deadly threat to low tiers and maybe enough to throw back and daze high tiers. Would’ve lead to cooler fights too, like his fights with Captain Marvel, Thor and Wanda would’ve been more interesting instead of ‘why don’t they just fly up and blast down at him’

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheGrat1

You have to understand: They were never going to make him so powerful that he trivializes and instantly kills characters like Captain America. The MCU established this all the way back with The Incredible Hulk where they had a supersoldier equivalent battle a pissed Hulk in CQC and not get instantly killed. He is the friggin' Hulk, the Marvel verse does not go too many levels higher than him without bringing in cosmics/skyfathers/abstracts. It is kind of hard to break away from that baseline.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was portrayed as the beast he's meant to be. The likes of the Hulk and prime Thor are fodder to him, just as they are in the comics. Carol was portrayed more relative, but that's due to her higher portrayal, not his being lower. What I would've done was give him his basic powers - energy projection, telepathy, etc - but made him much more intelligent, tactical and cunning.

Ccbm2208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ccbm2208

@comicgirl21: I take Gorath’s statement as “Most powerful ACTIVE being in the universe that we are aware of”, which would exclude people like Hela, Surtur, Ego as well as Earth’s socerers and magic users since they’re so obscure.

There are the Celestials, but most of the universe probably think those guys are extinct.

The only contradiction in Gorath’s statement would be his concern for Ronan after he had gotten the power stone. ‘Cus EG made it clear that the power stone is above Thanos without even using it’s full power.

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Futureisbest

Capable of pulling off feats in the comic, also he'll retain his obsession with mistress death since that's what made his character who he is in the comic

Laiks Stake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Add energy projection via cosmic power and force field generation through tech.

Strong enough to 2 shots Binary CM.