#1 Posted by kalder_ridley (1889 posts) - - Show Bio

if critics & fans alike end up hating infinity war, could it tank the entire superhero genre? or is the superhero genre too big to fail at this point?

I mean this is what the MCU has been building up to for 10 years...if its nothing short of amazing it going to take the wind out of everyone sails and superhero fatigue will probably set in

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb6a6f86dc65
#2 Edited by deactivated-5bb6a6f86dc65 (4972 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if it's substandard, it'll still be a massive success. Regardless of what the critics think, fans and moviegoers alike will endorse it and will continue to watch more movies.

#3 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

No, but it would be fun to see Disney take a massive financial blow and sell of Mickey for medical experimentation.

#4 Posted by Quinlan58 (1776 posts) - - Show Bio

It'd take more than one failure to kill the genre. Unless that one flop is Heaven's Gate levels of failure.

#5 Edited by Amcu (16930 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Did Transformers end after one bad film? And the MCU has built up audience love for years with loads of films. If Infinity War is awful than the MCU will suffer some. But as long as they can make their next films good they and the CBM genre will continue.

#6 Posted by Thorthunder98 (6804 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like even if it's bad it will still do very well because of the marketing

#7 Posted by wildvine (14882 posts) - - Show Bio

It survived Age of Ultron, haha. But seriously

#8 Posted by CyanIsHere (376 posts) - - Show Bio

The DCEU hasnt ruined the genre after like 6 bad films.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
#9 Edited by deactivated-5b84aca03eae8 (6261 posts) - - Show Bio

The MCU marketing train has already left the station...and it doesn't plan on coming back anytime soon.

#10 Posted by mexcomics2078 (2867 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope not. Superhero movies are the only ones that I watch at the theaters

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76
#11 Posted by deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76 (10909 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, it won't, it never will.

I am personally hoping to see more of this in the coming years tho:

No Caption Provided
#12 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12747 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, but it’d make for one Helluva story

#13 Posted by Amonfire1776 (3142 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther made so much money that I do not think it will be much of an issue...anyways I doubt it will be justice league bad...

#14 Posted by Yassassin (7701 posts) - - Show Bio

God willing.

#15 Posted by Tomkatie (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

It’ll be heartbreaking, but I doubt it’ll crush the genre.

Superhero fatigue is an inevitability, but we don’t seem to be there yet

#16 Posted by Aros001 (3668 posts) - - Show Bio

It'd be a definite blow, but I doubt it'd kill off interest completely, especially with both Marvel and DC having plenty of films they'll be putting out after. I imagine it'd be mostly just a lesson in not putting all your eggs in one basket, which is a lesson that we already have kind of learned with Justice League (even though I do still like that movie).

#17 Posted by mrmonster (15619 posts) - - Show Bio

No. At this point, no one movie can kill the entire genre.

#18 Posted by iknowwhoyouare (1631 posts) - - Show Bio

It could suck worse than the worst DCEU movies and still be better received

#19 Edited by JediXMan (42744 posts) - - Show Bio

Success or failure, it will lose steam. This franchise has been almost entirely reliant on the Infinity War arc, and I'm not sure the "next big thing" that will hit in 10 years will be nearly as impactful.

#20 Posted by Batvibe12 (5720 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#21 Posted by Emanresu_20 (3005 posts) - - Show Bio

Moral of the story is first impressions and building on that first impression with a good reputation matters.

I highly doubt Marvel is going to let it flop though.

#22 Posted by Tessa_Callahan (1670 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
#23 Posted by FullMetalEmprah (4735 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely not, they're supposedly already shooting the next Avengers already, and they've been hyping Infinity War for awhile. I seriously doubt they're going to hype a film that much and let it flop, especially if they already have the next one in the works. If anything hearing the next Avengers is being shot already gives me confidence because they expect this film to do well.

I'm normally pretty reserved when it comes to how good movies will do but I actually have a pretty good feeling about this one.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#24 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17671 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

Success or failure, it will lose steam. This franchise has been almost entirely reliant on the Infinity War arc, and I'm not sure the "next big thing" that will hit in 10 years will be nearly as impactful.

This is peak MCU. I don't think anyone can deny that. Even though they'll still do great things after A4, they'll never reach Infinity War/A4 levels of impact again.

#25 Posted by Worldofthunder (5125 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt they can top the continuous 10 year arc of Infinity War so I don't think MCU will ever be as impactful as it is now. This is just a personal opinion, but I can never imagine Avengers without Cap, Tony or Thor which in turn also means Evans, Downey and Hemsworth. I'm definitely going to lose interest if those three are gone.

#26 Posted by JokerBat88 (982 posts) - - Show Bio

lol this movie won't fail. This is the climax of the entire 10 year project. This movie will be the culmination of the MCU. 23 more days to go!

#27 Posted by Jgames (8192 posts) - - Show Bio

It be a slow down spiral of superhero fatigue.

#28 Posted by MrAugen (1018 posts) - - Show Bio

Opening week alone will likely guarantee it makes money. I'm guessing $500 million worldwide first week. I'd be surprised if fans hated it, at worst it may be divisive or uneven. I loved Winter Soldier and Civil War so I think the Russo Bros. know how important this project is.

Infinity War is as close to a sure bet as one can make. The real test will be if we see the cast turn over and people shift seemlessly from Captain America to Captain Marvel for example.

#29 Edited by MoTM (1647 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I doubt it will fail anyways, and superheros have been around for a long time and people haven't got fatigued yet so I think that's overblown.

That being said I have serious reservations on how this movie will actually be. It's set up to be a bloated mess. There are too many actors and storylines converging, I know it's a two parter but unless both are 3+ hours long there is gonna be a lot left on the table.

And god help them if Thanos cracks one too many jokes.

#30 Posted by foxerdes (10260 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course not.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#31 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (7553 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope but it would be a bigger let down than bvs

#32 Posted by byrd42 (793 posts) - - Show Bio

if critics & fans alike end up hating infinity war, could it tank the entire superhero genre? or is the superhero genre too big to fail at this point?

I mean this is what the MCU has been building up to for 10 years...if its nothing short of amazing it going to take the wind out of everyone sails and superhero fatigue will probably set in

Justice League flopped hard and it did nothing to harm super hero movies. The next one out was one of the most successful super hero movies of all time.

#33 Posted by byrd42 (793 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther made so much money that I do not think it will be much of an issue...anyways I doubt it will be justice league bad...

It's a given that it won't be Justice League bad. The five minute trailer of all trailers segments edited together is already substantially more entertaining than Justice League.