If done right can DC surpass Marvel in movies ?

• 163 results
LightingJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LightingJack

What do you guys think ?

rdskns4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Its no coincedence that the best reviewed and DCEU movie is basically an MCU clone:

Wonder Woman, aka the Captain America the first Avenger

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Man.

>Captain America clone.

That's enough of Comic Vine for today.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d489a021333f
deactivated-5d489a021333f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't believe so.

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t believe so.

With the rough start, I don’t think they will ever achieve the success of the Avengers movies or the franchise as a whole. They already put their best foot forward with their most popular characters and couldn’t touch Marvel’s B and C listers.

LightingJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_shazam0920: Well groot > dceu batman cant believe i am saying this lol

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I don't think it can anymore. The MCU has become such a powerful brand that can make 1 billion grossing movies without even trying anymore. Even if one of its movies sucked, people would still watch just because it is a Marvel movie.

DCEU on the other hand, despite showing signs of improving lately, still doesn't have exactly the best of reputations.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No MCU is the biggest thing Cinema has ever seen

Rijehu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. What made MCU so phenomenal is that they had a plan from Phase 1 all the way through Phase 3. The MCU is the result of a strong foundation with a clear plan and 100% execution effort. DCEU didn't start off as strong and then completely dropped the ball in some places. They can be amazing, but they will never have the consistency that MCU has for obvious reasons. Not that they have to be.

KingOfWakanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KingOfWakanda

Nope. That ship has sailed. Now, had they done everything right from the very beginning and carefully planned everything and legitimately built their universe piece by piece it could have competed.

Bayman007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a silly question, of course they can.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easily.

Reboot time.

Killermovies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not at this point the MCU is just too big and successful

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AbstractRaze

Yes, I'm more than sure about that, it would catch a different public too, DC is known to be darker than Marvel and DC is not always recommendable for minors, especially when things like this happen:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

We are in times where people feel offended by anything or are impressed by anything, DC would break such taboo if they would start returning to their former roots.

Avatar image for deactivated-6081fb94189dc
deactivated-6081fb94189dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thespartanb345t said:

Easily.

Reboot time.

That only makes things worse.

That they fire Cavill, Affleck, and Momoa to bring in new ones, will only make the movies even more unpopular.

Reboot is the resource of writers who don't know how to create a cinematic universe.

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By killbilly  Moderator

Sure. They have the better and more interesting characters imo.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we are getting a fresh start. The DCEU is at its phase 2 now, and its last 2 movies (aquaman and shazam) were good. Meanwhile marvel is moving onto phase 4. And while they have a lot going for them with Disney Plus, they also don't seem to be working toward an end goal this time around with no avengers movie or ultimate big bad like Thanos.

Which I feel is what made phase 3 so successful is people were hyped for Thanos. The average MCU movie is sort of just a standard popcorn flick so the DCEU could be on relatively even footing if they continue there current success.

The only thing I am concerned about is I am not sure if birds of prey will be good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f
deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surpass? I don't know. Rivaling it is possible..they just need to make better movies. Which I think they're on the right path now.... They could use a Batman & Superman though....

Kidolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any movie franchise can do better if done well so you’re gonna have to be more specific on what they have to do right.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe too late for that. It can rival tho. If they make DC animated movies with great actors into a not animated movie,then goodbye marvel

infamous5445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That ship sailed a long time ago.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gracetrack

Surpass Marvel in sales? Sure.

Surpass in achieving a vast interconnected cinema universe? Maybe.

Surpass the quality of their films? It's actually the other way around. Marvel has yet to surpass DC in this regard, in my opinion.

Avatar image for randybutternubs
RandyButterNubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have alot to catch up with.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MCU's biggest achievement is that it can make people watch a movie about almost any of their characters at this point. This is gonna be somewhat harder for DC to achieve, because their lesser known character are much more overshadowed by their more popular characters.

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not impossible.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All things are possible in the future.

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They could. It would be hard, nearly impossible, but it's not out of the question. DC needs key things going forward: a plan, good to great movies, and to win back the audience's trust. No one has any clue where their movies are headed. At this point, they seem to be just tossing ideas at a wall and hoping something sticks, then build off that. That's not how you do a cinematic universe. Then there is all the news about some actors wanting out, others not having their contracts renewed, and some who are in a limbo, so who even knows who's still in the line up. I honestly think they should start over from scratch in about 5 to 10 years and go from there. Their current foundation it practically nonexistent.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ITouchedTheBoat

if done right people won't even remember the beauty that is the MCU imo. but that opportunity was long gone after they allowed Zack Snyder to make a Superman movie...what a missed opportunity

@rdskns4eva said:

No.

Its no coincedence that the best reviewed and DCEU movie is basically an MCU clone:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5da4168075532
deactivated-5da4168075532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

This very much this. But Aquaman pretty much shows DC can catch up to Marvel. They need more Directors like James Wan.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A bit too late now.

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The MCU is too far established for the DCEU to catch up.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one understands what this thread is asking, and everyone is just repeating the same thing. It is an unarguable fact that DC overall has superhero’s that are far more famous than marvels, even after Endgame. This thread asked- “if done right”, it’s not asking “can they catch up”. The thread is saying in the past if they did their universe correctly could the realistically get more money than marvel, and with that in mind DC Stomps in account of beating marvel in every property besides movies and just being all around more recognizable worldwide.

Superman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if done right they can. especially since marvel is introducing new characters that most people have not heard of. in the other hand it will be hard because they just got the xman and ff.

ImMadNice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they completely rebooted maybe. But the road they’re going down (although it looks brighter than it was) won’t surpass marvel

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could they, sure. If DC started putting out masterpiece level films consistently I'd bet they'd pass the MCU eventually or at least match them. Is it likely? Probably not anytime soon.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@abstractraze: But how would that DC more popular? If they embrace their dark and gothic stories it would alienate a huge portion of the audience ergo preventing them from succeeding Marvel in popularity.

Super_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hope the Joker is a good and i hope DC gets better with movies.

Lord_Titan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are at least 12 years behind but if they can create an established product audiences can relate with and not just stagnant badly written films with one superman they have a chance of revalling

To date in terms of gross they are only 2-3 billion behind, they can still catch up

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one understands what this thread is asking, and everyone is just repeating the same thing. It is an unarguable fact that DC overall has superhero’s that are far more famous than marvels, even after Endgame. This thread asked- “if done right”, it’s not asking “can they catch up”. The thread is saying in the past if they did their universe correctly could the realistically get more money than marvel, and with that in mind DC Stomps in account of beating marvel in every property besides movies and just being all around more recognizable worldwide.

Well, I'm assuming he's referring to present time since he said "can" in the title.

Wot_m8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can they overcome the gross made by Marvel? No... unless Marvel just stopped making any more movies to let Dc catch up.

Can they overcome the Marvel quality and the money made in comparison to where Marvel was when they started? Likely.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AbstractRaze
@mutant1230 said:

@abstractraze: But how would that DC more popular? If they embrace their dark and gothic stories it would alienate a huge portion of the audience ergo preventing them from succeeding Marvel in popularity.

Yes, it would alienate some people and bring new ones in, it has an unusual effect, we can compare it with Mob movies, in my situation I would be the first one in hanging the entire organized crime, I despise crime, but on the other hand, I'm fascinated by the astuteness of the Mob, how they control their surroundings, how they fall in paranoia, their manipulative creativity, Mob movies are very dark but people like it, because it's a bubble world detached from reality, a world where the majority ends up regretting being part of it.

The Godfather = How the Mafia wanted to be seen.

Goodfellas = How the Mafia truly was.

It breaks the taboo from a lot of people, it makes people curious.

Absurdme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna show my age here....

Batman (1989) was huge and followed by the terrible Batman Returns;then the terrible Shumacher films. After that we got the Nolan trilogy. Now we have the DCEU as it stands.

Why did this happen? WB doesn't really have a vision and they control the IP. Their culture towards developing the DC properties has always lead to a lot of uneven and all over the place weirdness. If they want to make a cohesive universe they need to put the effort into it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63
deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, if both done right would surpass everything in the actual cinema (Follow comics with a straight view), but if DC come to a similar level to MCU, will be already enough to be great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63
deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abstractraze: Goodfellas is a masterpiece! glad you named it. unlike many others this is one of my favorites movies of all time! Probably the 1st or 2nd/3rd

Beyond_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering that DC in general aims more towards the older audience with their darker, gloomy and depth style I think they possibly could but it would be a different fanbase. Some people are getting sick of Marvel movies and probably would go over to DC if done well.

The most important thing for DC now is to properly reboot Suicide Squad and Justice League.

BelmontoBlitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point its damn near impossible. Around the iron man 2 days id say they had a good chance but with infinity war. Civil war, endgame. The first avengere. The mcu is just too powerful at the moment