If Alfred fought Wonder Woman instead of Superman.....

RewriteFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RewriteFan

TAKE A LOOK AT THE COMIC BELOW (and let me know what you think!)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

A QUICK SIDE NOTE FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ INJUSTICE:

In the Injustice comic, certain heroes take justice into their own hands after a catastrophe, creating a controlling, immoral regime in the process. At one point, Superman (who is evil) is interrogating Batman to find a pill that would make a regular person as strong as the Man of Steel himself. After seeing Superman break Batman's back, Alfred (Batman's butler) quickly takes the pill, and beats down Superman. Below is my reasoning for why I actually think this fight could have potentially been even more significant from a narrative perspective, if it was Wonder Woman who went toe-to-toe with Alfred instead.

Undoubtedly one of the most iconic scenes in Injustice was where Alfred beat up Superman after Superman broke Batman's back. However, as awesome as it was, I felt that it fell a bit short in a narrative sense. There's no heavy dialogue exchanged, or any long-term implications to make this fight consequential. It literally just happens, with no real weight to it other than the 'oh snap' factor.

I think this fight could have possibly been even better had it been Wonder Woman who came knocking instead of Superman. In general, I would keep the fight very similar to what happened between Alfred and Superman, with one key change; during the fight, Alfred could have mentioned the casualties and impact of the Regime's crimes, to which Wonder Woman was a prime accomplice. This is an extremely important point, as it was clear that Wonder Woman was the instigating force by Clark's side who used his pain to fuel attacks on the other heroes, yet she turned a blind eye to her wrongdoings and refused to believe that she wasn't on the side of good. This was repeatedly pointed out by fans throughout the series, but was barely actually acknowledged aside from one line all the way in Year 5, which resulted in her character being relatively flat and having almost no redeeming qualities (which was a rather odd way to portray her, and felt very off).

I think by pinning Alfred against Wonder Woman instead, we could have got the same epic fight we got in the original storyline, but the fight would also serve the purpose of forcing Wonder Woman realize the weight of her actions, and the truth that she has fallen far further than she let herself believe. This would not only lead to a more satisfying and necessary battle as Alfred and Diana go toe to toe, and would also pave way for a possible redemption arc for Diana, who from this point on could begin questioning her motives each time she helps Clark commit one of his atrocities.

Turning her into a redeemable and sympathetic character would in my opinion, really improve her portrayal in this series, and showcase the strong compassionate side of Diana that this series seemed to cut out completely. It would also eventually give Batman and the Insurgents a very beneficial ally to stop Superman for the final time in Injustice 2.

With that being said, the comic above is how I think the fight could have gone instead! Let me know what you think of it!

(Dialogue/artwork is derived from Injustice comics Year 1-5)

If you are interested in how a redemption arc for Diana would continue from this point, please check out comment #28 on this thread, where I expand on this alternative scenario!

RewriteFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please let me know what you think in the comments! Do you think this fight would have been epic to see?

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

A tear trickled down my face as I read this, good job

EcstaticGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TonyStark6999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool story Bro

Hulk_Like_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dangannopoopoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Injustice Wonder Woman is one of the biggest sh*t heads in comic book history. This was satisfying.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah a white guy beating the crap out of a woman. That would totally go well with people.

RewriteFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect: Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it! This fight ideally would add some more narrative depth to Wonder Woman's character, as she was often side-by-side with Superman's decisions, yet rarely confronted. Coupled with the fact that Alfred had lost several friends (including Dick Grayson) while sitting on the sidelines, this actually came together quite naturally and felt more impactful.

@ecstaticgrace: Thank you for the feedback!

@dangannopoopoo: I was surprised at how her character was portrayed in this series, same with many others (e.g. Hal Jordan). This universe really had a lot of heroes becoming straight-up villains

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seagod said:

Yeah a white guy beating the crap out of a woman. That would totally go well with people.

I mean....historically speaking people seem relatively indifferent about it, unfortunately.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Floopay

@seagod said:

@floopay: yeah but not now a days

Considering the president's supporters represented roughly 50% of the country and chanted "Grab her by the p****!" through the streets; I'd still say people are still relatively indifferent about men who treat women poorly.

Again, I don't think it's okay; but it's definitely not a deal breaker for a large portion of the US at least.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

RewriteFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@floopay: @seagod:

Okay thank you for bringing this point up, it is certainly an important real-world issue that requires both attention and action. I think before we continue it's important to clarify a few things. This comic (and hopefully any other superhero media) in no way endorses or condones violence against women. Such actions in real life would be heinous and inexcusable no matter the circumstance.

With that being said, it's also important for any audience members reading this (or any other form of super hero media) to be able to distinguish real world morality from that of comic books, especially comics (such as Injustice) whose characters are made purely for the sake of over-the-top fighting and entertainment. These comics are make believe stories, where fictional characters we know and love behave in ways that are dangerous, unexpected, and morally askew, and should never be taken as a guideline or an excuse or normalize real-world violence.

None of this would nor should be remotely acceptable in real life, period.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seagod said:

@floopay: yeah but not now a days

Plenty of examples to prove otherwise

Necrogod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seagod said:

This

CaptFalcon725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zThis is some very entertaining head canon. I think Alfred dies because I don't think Diana and Bruce have quite the relationship that Clark and Bruce have.

Diana doesn't hold back and is more skilled than Superman.

Punyaamrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Punyaamrit

good job i personally hated wonder woman's injustice version

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheInsufferable
@rewritefan said:
However, as awesome as it was, I felt that it was a bit awkward in a narrative sense. There's no heavy dialogue exchanged, or any real tension between Alfred and Superman to make this fight very consequential. It literally just happens, with no real weight to it other than the 'oh snap' factor.

Honestly, this applies to the entirety of Injustice comics. It was okay for the game, because the story was mostly just a way to line up some characters against each other so they can beat each other up, but in a comic where the story actually matters? Not so much.

RewriteFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captfalcon725: Thank you! I agree, if she wanted to, Diana could quite literally snap Alfred in half. But I would say Diana is more so just holding back her aggression due to shock over what she's just done to Bruce (breaking his back), and as a result her mind is not focused on fighting Alfred at the moment.

@punyaamrit: Thank you! I think that's one of the main issues the Injustice comics had; they just kept making her more and more evil, for the sake of being evil. She was given no redeeming qualities, and as a result was a pretty unlikable character with little development. That's why I think this fight could have been used as a symbolic turning point for her, where Alfred forces her to take realize all the atrocities she committed thus far, which encourages her to slowly re-think Superman's goals and actions. Ideally this would initiate a redemption arc for her, making her character overall more rounded and closer to the Wonder Woman we know. It would also make her eventual collaboration with Batman in Injustice 2 a more logical and deserved move.

@theinsufferable: That's very true, that was the prime goal of the Injustice Universe. I thought this alternative fight could serve not only as one of those 'shock factor moments', but possibly as the start of a redemption arc for Diana, who was portrayed as a rather flat character who was evil just for the sake of being evil. By getting her to acknowledge the atrocities of the Regime, this could have rounded her character and made her a more conflicted and sympathetic character, and would also make her eventual collaboration with Batman in Injustice 2 a more satisfying one, giving team Batman a much needed ally.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rewritefan: True. As questionable as Superman's Injustice characterization was, they had at least tried to give him a reason for going crazy. WW, however, was evil without any good explanation or motive. There wasn't anything in particular to push her over the edge, making it seem as though she was probably evil since the start. The later developments certainly didn't help matters either.

Also, weird that it hasn't been brought up yet, but those photo edits are pretty well done.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By phisigmatau  Online

When white ppl get beat up they change colors

Idk i just noticed that in the scans

Good job on the edits

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#23 batkevin74  Online

@rewritefan: that is pretty cool, good job. You should write it up in the Fan Fiction section and expand it further

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By AllStarSuperman
No Caption Provided

@necrogod said:
@seagod said:

This

camilopezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In an actual fight.

Wonder Woman > Alfred >> Jobber Superman.

TheVoidofDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well done, what you've written is quite interesting. I mean Wonder Woman is quite different from Clark , and has the habit of going morals off quite quickly. I think these users will find this interesting @tedirey@ancient_0f_days

P.s The whole man beating up woment thing I don't apply this to comics ,but unless it's someone innocent etc.

I am woman btw

RewriteFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theinsufferable: Thank you, I'm glad you thought so! And yes, the fact that Wonder Woman was never given any explanation for her actions or a chance to show a redeemable side of herself just seemed really out of place for her, and made her character feel particularly off compared to the rest of the league. I really think a slow redemption arc could have ended up developing her character in a great way.

@phisigmatau: Lol thank you!

@batkevin74: Thank you I appreciate the suggestion, that may be something to think about for the future!

@thevoidofdeath: Thank you! I agree, I think Wonder Woman is often quicker to act when it comes to combative settings, and this fight would have gone very differently if she was actually trying to take Alfred down and he didn't get that initial jump on her. But I think this fight would serve more as a symbolic turning point for Diana by showing her how far her and other heroes have fallen, which is why she is more focused on the implications of what Alfred is saying rather than the actual fight itself. And I'm on the same page, battles in comic books (especially ones based on fighting games such as this) are a very particular instance where all types of match-ups may arise, and should never be taken as more serious than what they are, which are just over-the-top fictional spectacles. They shouldn't ever be confused or used as exemplars that encourage real-world atrocities.

RewriteFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RewriteFan

I've mentioned before that I think this fight could ideally have acted as a catalyst that set Diana up for a redemption arc, so below are some edits depicting how I think that arc could have been done.

By the end of Injustice 1, Wonder Woman is defeated and imprisoned for her crimes in Themyscira. In Injustice 2, Damian Wayne convinces other heroes to break her out. I think if a redemption arc was already started for Diana (i.e. beginning to question Superman in Injustice 1, showing regret for her actions upon defeat, etc.), this could have been a very satisfying reunion between Wonder Woman and the other heroes. In this alternative scene, she would mainly interact with Alfred again, who at this point she assume to be dead by the actions of her and the Regime.

When she sees that he is in fact alive, it could lead to the climax of her redemption where she openly confesses and apologizes to the heroes over her actions in Injustice 1, and the heroes forgive her and give her another chance to prove herself. And from this point on she would hopefully succeed and begin showing off the best parts of her character, rather than the worst.

I think turning her good would really round her character in this particular series compared to what we got, and it would also give Batman a helpful and satisfying ally (that isn't just someone with a ton of super-pills) when it comes to fighting Superman for the final time.

(All artwork is derived from Injustice 1 and Injustice 2 comics)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for sonochinosadame
Sonochinosadame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seagod: equal rights equal fights.

Sonochinosadame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is terrific, and I like how it's not just "alfred beats up superman for Bruce" with no dialogue and just punches. You can see she has her own baggage in this situation, and she's caused a lot of sh*t, including not standing against clark. The one above where they reconcile is a nice end to a short but good story, but is it the end thl

Sonochinosadame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tho*

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rewritefan: fantastic! I love it, you have improved upon the original imo. 👍

RewriteFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sonochinosadame: Thank you, I appreciate the feedback! That was the goal, I really wanted to show how this fight actually could have carried a lot of weight in this alternative scenario, where Wonder Woman considers all the damage she's done up to that point. From there, the redemption arc felt like a very satisfying development for her character, really making her one of the more sympathetic heroes in the series.

@limitless82: Thank you! I loved Tom Taylor's writing in Injustice and thought his stories were amazing, although I always felt like Wonder Woman could have used a lot more development in the original. I'm glad you liked this alternative!

Limitless82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rewritefan: indeed. Action for action's sake is just pure visual noise, good storytelling is much more than that, involving knowing when and how to incooprate story elements/character development even admist the action chaos.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it. The editing is good. So is the dialogue. The only problem is it's too hard to believe Alfred besting Diana. Superman? Sure. But in a fight, even with the same physicals, Diana would win. And given how ruthless she is in Injustice, this edited scene very well could've ended with a dead Alfred.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EmmaFrostXmen  Online

Great editing, awesome job bro

psi-bite234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great editing

WaitOmegaStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was Good. Not bad at all.

HarryNorine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

U realize SJW/liberals would be calling this misogynist and having a field day if this happen.

Andrelf7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

having the fight mean more than the actual fight is a great idea...creating an emotional component to start a redemption arc worked very well.
Of course if she wasn't holding back she would still win, but i guess that's the whole point...she is holding back, her mind is on the decisions made and their consequences...it's making her rethink e reassess everything

it would be cool to see it unravelling...for some time she would still be on Superman's side, but with great doubts, that would only grow before she switch sides

great job!

Homura_Kitsune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was awesome

Lenzo0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lenzo0

@rewritefan: Great job! Great editing. Enjoyed it all. That moment with Alfred and Bruce. Simply amazing.

RewriteFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal: Thank you, I completely agree! I have no doubt that if Diana truly wanted to take Alfred down here, she would have done it with little trouble. But the point of this alternate scene would be more about Diana coming to the realization that perhaps she isn't on the side of good anymore, and that truth (in the form of Alfred's words) is more threatening to her than anything Alfred throws her way physically. As a result, her mind isn't even focused on the fight itself, but more on the implications of why this fight is occurring in the first place: Because her and the Regime have become the very evil they swore to fight against.

@andrelf7: Thank you for the feedback, that's exactly what this story would be trying go for! In my opinion, from this point it would be good to see Wonder Woman increasingly opposing Superman throughout the story, building up to what I think would be the perfect tipping point that turns her to the good side: The death of Shazam. Shazam's death in Injustice felt very strange to me, because all the heroes essentially watched Superman murder a child, and they did nothing. Nobody (besides the Flash) even questioned it. But I think this event would have been the perfect time for Wonder Woman (Superman's top general at the time) to fully realize that Clark is too far gone, and accept that she must break her allegiance to him. As a result, when the final battle occurs and she faces down the alternate version of herself, she chooses to take responsibility for her actions, and does something she's never done before. She drops her sword and surrenders. And that is the end of Wonder Woman's story in Injustice 1 (And this would lead into the Injustice 2 scenario I described in comment #28 above, where she is eventually released and joins team Batman).

@lenzo0: Thank you!Alfred and Bruce always have a strong bond in the comics, and I hope this scene used that bond well to strengthen the narrative weight behind this particular alternative plotline.

schedule2018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really Awoseme

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal: Thank you, I completely agree! I have no doubt that if Diana truly wanted to take Alfred down here, she would have done it with little trouble. But the point of this alternate scene would be more about Diana coming to the realization that perhaps she isn't on the side of good anymore, and that truth (in the form of Alfred's words) is more threatening to her than anything Alfred throws her way physically. As a result, her mind isn't even focused on the fight itself, but more on the implications of why this fight is occurring in the first place: Because her and the Regime have become the very evil they swore to fight against.

That's fair. I would've liked her to put up a bit more of an effort, even if she was still so affected by his words that she couldn't properly fight back. That said...I always enjoy seeing Superman get beat up, so I can't say I wouldn't prefer that route lol.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

This is awesome but should be apart of fan-fic technically, but whatever that doesn't matter. Good work on all the editing you did, the story follows through for me. I also, in general, don't like Injustice's story too much because the characters act needlessly in one way or another. This instance seems like an improvement to me mainly because of Alfred's dialogue and it works with Wonder Woman's character arc anyways.

What I can't understand though is all the other comments needlessly bringing politics into this. Feminists would have a field day with this? Who the hell cares, their outcries aren't worth a damn if it's based on false pretenses. There's a lot of people with opinions like that for just about everything, why bring it up every single time?