• 81 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f
#1 Edited by deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

I had a question for you guys. If a series has too many annoying fanboys who like to hype up their characters and make them seem more powerful than they really are... as well as overrate the quality of it beyond belief and talk $#*! on every other series that isn't their favorite.... is all that enough to really actually make you hate that series itself???

#2 Posted by Y2G (445 posts) - - Show Bio

It shouldn't be but I'm sure that's the case for a lot of people.

#3 Posted by Lan_Fan (14733 posts) - - Show Bio

That's the reason I don't like OPM and MCU.

#4 Posted by thatduderox (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

A toxic fanbase can make any series difficult to get into. It's usually only a vocal minority, but unfortunately, the entire fanbase gets labeled as crazy. I actively hated One Piece for years because some of the fans have a superiority complex over their series being number one in Japan. Plus Naruto and Dragon Ball were my favorites growing up, and One Piece and those series, along with Bleach, always had a pretty intense rivalry. I didn't give the series a fair shake until a few years ago, and I found it enjoyable enough. But the fandom did hamper my perception of it initially.

#5 Edited by ANTHP2000 (27739 posts) - - Show Bio

It happens with characters too. Not necessarily hate them, it just ruins the experience.

I'm not salty enough to 'hate' something fictional because people are being absurd about it.

#6 Posted by Crimson_Lord (2995 posts) - - Show Bio

It shouldn’t matter as far as enjoyment, but it probably affects the way people view or debate for/against the verse on here.

#7 Posted by ZackAttack14 (175 posts) - - Show Bio

Not hate but resentment to some extent. I've been reading Deadpool forever and as much as I liked the movies the fact that its everywhere now is kinda lame I guess. I'd compare it to liking a band and then they hit it big and everyone likes them and suddenly it's not as cool.

#8 Posted by yeimsick (638 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, dragon ball. It's almost impossible to have a civil discussion with a dragonball fanboy fucktard.

#9 Posted by RBT (28500 posts) - - Show Bio

That seems petty.

#10 Edited by tparks (11807 posts) - - Show Bio

No, not really. My opinion is rarely influenced by other people on whether I like something or not.

I’ll admit that ,years ago, I unintentionally used to lowball Halo because of how wanked Master Chief used to be. I realized I was doing this, then dropped the negative bias, and found my middle ground. I actually think Chief is an extremely dangerous opponent now, but for reasons other then what the people who wanked him would give.

#11 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36840 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Not about power levels though, that’s dumb battle logic. But, if they overhype the quality of the show they can set someone up for disappointment.

#12 Posted by Cor_Tsar (4980 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Not about power levels though, that’s dumb battle logic. But, if they overhype the quality of the show they can set someone up for disappointment.

Probably this. This is like the only legit reason I can thin ofk to dislike something just because of a fan(s) of a series/thing

#13 Posted by deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@y2g: Haha that seems to be true x3

#14 Posted by gamiz7 (1396 posts) - - Show Bio

my brother dropped rwby cause the fandom is mostly nothing but toxic shippers who never want to talk about the plot

#15 Edited by thebuckaronatr (1830 posts) - - Show Bio

No that sounds stupid and petty to me and i would certainly miss a lot of great series if i would do that.

#16 Posted by Aros001 (3663 posts) - - Show Bio

It never makes me hate a show or movie, but it can certainly sour my enjoyment sometimes because I can't help but associate the product with the smug, toxic fanboys. Generalbeastgod/Captainsalt is a big example on this site of extreme toxic fanboying to the point where it's hard to enjoy some of the MCU movies he goes out of his way to praise and bash on everything else.

DC, Marvel, Star Wars, Steven Universe, and Rick and Morty. All things I really like and all with notoriously toxic fanbases.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb52f8f25413
#17 Edited by deactivated-5bb52f8f25413 (7026 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Most popular comics, animes/mangas, games, tv shows, etc. have really toxic fanbases but that never stopped me from liking the series itself.

#18 Posted by SuperHulk24 (534 posts) - - Show Bio

Not at all.

#19 Posted by deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan: Sorry I'm stupid lol by MCU do you mean the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

#20 Posted by Lan_Fan (14733 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Edited by Kilius (1624 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been enough to denture me from a fanbase forum community, but not necessary the work itself. A lot of praise for the Star War's EU for instance has a lot of backhanded insults toward the Prequel trilogy and Lucas in general and it happens constantly and it's really annoying.

#22 Posted by deltahuman (4985 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO. Why do I feel like I know what series he's referring to.

Or maybe it's my inner fanboy that's influencing my thoughts

#23 Edited by JediXMan (42713 posts) - - Show Bio

If I judged things by their fandoms I wouldn't be a fan of anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
#24 Posted by deactivated-5b5405244e89c (8376 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

#25 Posted by Gaoron (8965 posts) - - Show Bio

No, prime example is Naruto or Dragon Ball. Both fanbases are full of trolls and people that get mad to a point of insulting each other over fictional characters but I still love both.

#26 Posted by Fabricolage (1961 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much depends for me.

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#27 Posted by plotweapon16255 (7808 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#28 Posted by KingTchalla03 (678 posts) - - Show Bio

You children and you’re sensitivity about power levels will never cease to amaze me. Anyway to answer the question, no. But I’ve seen plenty of people that do and it makes me sad.

#29 Posted by DannyPhantom (222 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

If I judged things by their fandoms I wouldn't be a fan of anything.

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
#30 Edited by FullMetalEmprah (4735 posts) - - Show Bio

Not in general but there are slight exceptions for me. There are certain Dragon Ball megafans that ALWAYS bring up the fact that Goku could beat pretty much any character I talk about up in a fight, even if we aren't talking about characters fighting. You know, the guy who always replies with something along the lines of, "Goku would whoop that ass." in response to me saying something like, "Ed Elric is a really interesting character."

Also there was this one Dragon Ball fan(he said anime in general but I'm positive all he's seen is DBZ) that said he didn't like Naruto because the fights were weird, and that Dragon Ball was realistic. Yeah, this guy said DBZ was realistic in terms of fighting. Needless to say that conversation got pretty heated. I don't hate Dragon Ball fans in general, I'm even a fan of DBZ myself, but some of y'all need to chill lol.

#31 Posted by Batvibe12 (5710 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#32 Posted by Fabricolage (1961 posts) - - Show Bio

Not in general but there are slight exceptions for me. There are certain Dragon Ball megafans that ALWAYS bring up the fact that Goku could beat pretty much any character I talk about up in a fight, even if we aren't talking about characters fighting. You know, the guy who always replies with something along the lines of, "Goku would whoop that ass." in response to me saying something like, "Ed Elric is a really interesting character."

Also there was this one Dragon Ball fan(he said anime in general but I'm positive all he's seen is DBZ) that said he didn't like Naruto because the fights were weird, and that Dragon Ball was realistic. Yeah, this guy said DBZ was realistic in terms of fighting. Needless to say that conversation got pretty heated. I don't hate Dragon Ball fans in general, I'm even a fan of DBZ myself, but some of y'all need to chill lol.

No Caption Provided

#33 Posted by ValorKnight (12412 posts) - - Show Bio

No, my beliefs aren't fragile enough that I would stop liking a series just because others have a different opinion than I do.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#34 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (7531 posts) - - Show Bio

I've enjoyed the CW and MCU at times but God the fanboys are toxic as all hell

#35 Posted by King_Krown (1240 posts) - - Show Bio

No, my beliefs aren't fragile enough that I would stop liking a series just because others have a different opinion than I do.

Exactly. I can't help but shake my head at people who are fragile.

#36 Edited by BruceRogers (17448 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I hate to admit it; yes. But only when the fanbase is really toxic and overzealous.

#37 Posted by Toratorn (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

How insecure must one be to dislike a series simply because of opinions of random people on Internet.

#38 Edited by EmpressOfDread (12367 posts) - - Show Bio

No, prime example is Dragon Ball. Fanbases are full of trolls and people that get mad to a point of insulting each other over fictional characters but I still love DB.

#39 Posted by Skyfire (981 posts) - - Show Bio

No, but I understand how it can be a put off.

Like, Undertale is an amazing game, but the fandom just make me want to stay away from it.

#40 Posted by MorbusGrav (1280 posts) - - Show Bio

@toratorn said:

How insecure must one be to dislike a series simply because of opinions of random people on Internet.

#41 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#42 Posted by DevisedDream (556 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I wouldn't let it influence my opinion of the series itself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1da3ef735f9
#43 Posted by deactivated-5c1da3ef735f9 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Sadly yes, I used to love DBZ as a kid but as I grew older and saw what the fanbase was like, I slowly started to hate it. I didn't want to hate the series, or the characters especially someone as cool as Goku, but when the fanbase acts a certain way, it really killed the way I saw it. Same thing with Batman and Hulk's fanbase. However I do not dislike them as much as I used to as I have actively been staying away and ignoring them to reignite my original love for these characters. DCEU is kind of hard though and to a lesser extent, MCU as well. The radical fanbases from both sides are annoying as hell and can make me dislike them for the wrong reasons.

#44 Edited by deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@chufengyaj: Do you think perhaps you're just associating yourself with the wrong people? I have seen annoying dragon ball fans yes, but there are also tons of great ones.... there is a whole community behind people who have really started working out and eating healthy and go through complete body transformations and they all cite dragon ball and specifically Goku as their inspiration.... That's a pretty great thing if you ask me. If you don't believe me about all this you can just go to Instagram or something and I'll even post a couple videos that were on Youtube. Sure there are loads of insane DB fans who say the most ridiculous things..... but for every fan like them there are also fans like my brother and I who started working out and bettering ourselves due to the inspiring messages that Dragon Ball taught us! :D

The guy in this first video even talks a bit about the community that has formed from this.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

I just don't think you should say an entire fan base sucks because of a few people over the internet.... the world is a big place and there are loads of people in it... not everyone is some mindless fanboy wanker lol

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
#45 Posted by ITouchedTheBoat (3392 posts) - - Show Bio

It almost happened with me and DBZ but I realized those kind of fanboys exist for every character and it's my choice to pay attention to them. So, it's possible to get so annoyed by the fanboys to the point where you cannot enjoy a series anymore but ignoring them keeps you healthier lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1da3ef735f9
#46 Edited by deactivated-5c1da3ef735f9 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

@piratekingoda: Oh yeah I was definitely being influenced by the wrong fans. I was seeing so much of them and was trolled by enough of them that I not only hated the fan base as a whole, but also the show and characters. It took a few years for me to learn that not all the fans are like that. A lot are actually good nature people and this was something I had to learn about other characters and their fanbase such as Batman and Hulk. However I do see more radical fanboys of DBZ than actual good natured fans on the internet in the comment section and YouTube. Most of the decent fans don't seem to pop up very often over the sea of trolling comments, not that I blame them. At least from my perspective. Recently by ignoring them, I am able to get back into DBZ and actually enjoy it but I still got a long ways to go with other franchises.

#47 Posted by Gokluma (8778 posts) - - Show Bio

Dragon ball z fanbase since that fanbase is plain nasty in terms of overhyping goku,kefla & jiren as the strongest character ever for random statements against anything including someone like COIE Anti monitor,Galactus & etc or their ego kept on bashing on any other anime/manga fan for some reason.

DC and Marvel fanbases since their flame wars are annoying.

#48 Posted by huthimamwa (2549 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah. Just avoid the fan base.

#49 Posted by StormShadow_X (16766 posts) - - Show Bio

Not for me, but I can see why.

DBZ Fanbase is the worst on the internet but.....While I'm not the biggest fan of it now that I'm older it still has its charm and hype scenes.

I think if other Fans can stop you from liking something you're not much of a fan to begin with and that's not a bad thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c60dc252a2af
#50 Posted by deactivated-5c60dc252a2af (5801 posts) - - Show Bio

Growing up, I loved Bleach to the point that I read the manga like 5 times, since I started on Comicvine? I have slowly begun disliking it. Just like I am beginning to dislike Naruto.