Idiots on Wally West

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By Captain13

@captain13 said:

Manapul and Buccellato said they weren't allowed to use the Flash because the higher-ups didn't want people asking when Wally would become Flash again. The higher ups were probably tired of people asking them about Wally at cons. It seems like this is their way of saying, "Here's your Wally West. Stop bugging us. He'll never be Flash because only Barry can be Flash, only white heroes can head our tentpole franchises, and if movie audiences saw a black Flash they'd be pissed."

Once DC decides something, they really try to force it. I understand the disappointment. At this point, I'm just hoping they can salvage Wally's personality.

My problem isn't with a change, but with the likely reasoning behind it.

Also:

@dredeuced said:

The race change is dumb because it shows DC's willingness to change the race of characters they don't care about so they can pretend that they're progressive while the entirety of the main JL cast will never, EVER get raced changed -- they'll just keep adding token black characters like Cyborg, failing to flesh them out, and ditching them once they get boring over and over. I guess that's also a great reason to make Wally black -- they can't have the main Flash be non-white and this is sticking to their guns about Wally never replacing Barry.

To add to that last quote--if that's the case, what that tells me -to be very frank- is that Flash and Green Lantern are too big, too important, and too cool for a black character to have, despite millions of people being totally fine with it. I'm just saying what it looks like, and if that's the mindset, it's extremely offensive.

DC only pays lipservice to diversity. Where are the Milestone characters? Where is Jackson Hyde? Why not let this new/old Kid Flash stand on his own like Damian Wayne? Why are no minorities the head of a mythology or franchise?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I have no problems with it whatsoever. Race is an overrated issue. Its still a big deal, but it really shouldn't. One day people will realize this, but for now they don't.

Most comic characters are white because they were created in a time when not being white was inferior. This is clearly not the case, but otherwise there is no other reason.

So people bitching about it being a pointless change (and everything changes at some point, get used to it now) should also realize they're white for pointless reasons.

Wally's skin color has never been apart of who he is. Some characters color is important, but most aren't.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The grand irony in all this btw is that everyone cries for Racial diversity: yet not one supports racial diverse heroes and then companies change the race of an all ready popular hero and people cry about that.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have no problems with it whatsoever. Race is an overrated issue. Its still a big deal, but it really shouldn't. One day people will realize this, but for now they don't.

Most comic characters are white because they were created in a time when not being white was inferior. This is clearly not the case, but otherwise there is no other reason.

So people bitching about it being a pointless change (and everything changes at some point, get used to it now) should also realize they're white for pointless reasons.

Wally's skin color has never been apart of who he is. Some characters color is important, but most aren't.

Then they should change Barry's race,or better yet Jay's.Wally isn't from that era.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

@fallschirmjager: His skin color was kind of important though, because he was a ginger. One of the few.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@fallschirmjager: His skin color was kind of important though, because he was a ginger. One of the few.

Hair color is even more irrelevant than skin color. You can dye your hair ffs.

@fallschirmjager said:

Then they should change Barry's race,or better yet Jay's.Wally isn't from that era.

Wally was created as kid Flash in 1959.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@captainmarvel4ever:

Well Connor Hawke is diferente case. At first he was Red Arrow (Roy Mcqueen) a character from another earth and did few apperances that existed before new 52. Plus is Earth-2, as Scott is GLBT Characters, Connor being white and ginger doesnt matter since it´s from another character. Plus since Helmet of Fate will appear on Constatine, the others characters that now appeared on Earth 2 might appear as Characters of Prime/0 Earth.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: You wouldn't think it weird if Superman suddenly became a red head??

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

DC do this to get a reaction. I haven't seen that much of Simon Baz, have you? The character has got attention for a week until sales drop and they disappear. Why change his skin colour? To be PC? What if they turn Luke Cage white? I don't like changing a characters skin colour or sexual orientation just to get a reaction. It's not racist to think this. But I must be wrong since I'm a white male.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@project_worm said:

@fallschirmjager: You wouldn't think it weird if Superman suddenly became a red head??

No. He's still every bit as Superman as he will be regardless of the color of his hair.

If they up and decided to change the House of El symbol on his chest - I'd be worried. Hair? Skin? Eye color? (etc). Couldn't care less.

Superman is Superman because of who he is and what he stands for, not because what he looks like.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Captain13

@oscars94 said:

DC do this to get a reaction. I haven't seen that much of Simon Baz, have you? The character has got attention for a week until sales drop and they disappear.

The reason Simon Baz has stopped being used is because DC never had a real plan for him. They created him so they could kill off John Stewart without looking racist, but when the internet saw the writing on the wall, they had to cancel their plans.

No Caption Provided

Baz is just a character with Kyle Rayner's personality and John Stewart's engineering background, skin tone, and social consciousness. With John Stewart still around, DC doesn't need to use two ethnic Lanterns, but they are afraid of killing off Baz due to all the hoopla surrounding his debut.

Avatar image for beware_my_power
Beware_My_Power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerd_of_a_hero: actually pre 52, Alan Scott's son, Obsidian was homosexual.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Onemoreposter

@farkam: @wardemon32: @captainmarvel4ever: Captain, Connor was my favorite Green Arrow before the reboot. Then again, I came up reading comics in the 90s. Kyle Rayner, Wally West, Connor Hawke. These guys were GL, Flash, and GA to me. Sad to see they've completely changed (dare I say ruined?) the character and stuck him on Earth-2.

Wardemon. Why not just not call this character they're introducing Wally West? What would be so hard about that? Like Red Arrow on E-2. Why not just give him a different name than Connor Hawke. Because for all intents and purposes, these aren't the same characters. They're similar in very broad ways, but overall they're incredibly different.

A spade is a spade. Wally West is Wally West. They can call this new guy w/e they want but it isn't Wally.

And the funniest thing is, new readers don't really care WHAT you call this guy because THEY'RE NEW READERS. All DC does by changing existing characters like this is upset some of the fanbase that's supported them for years and lose (my) money.

Fark. I'm picking up what you're putting down man.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The grand irony in all this btw is that everyone cries for Racial diversity: yet not one supports racial diverse heroes and then companies change the race of an all ready popular hero and people cry about that.

Because there's no need to change a character's race when you can create a new one, Wally was absent from New 52 for 3 years, DC could'v created a new character instead of bringing back Wally. People are against pointless change not racial diversity.

@project_worm said:

No. He's still every bit as Superman as he will be regardless of the color of his hair.

If they up and decided to change the House of El symbol on his chest - I'd be worried. Hair? Skin? Eye color? (etc). Couldn't care less.

Superman is Superman because of who he is and what he stands for, not because what he looks like.

Why? The symbol is pointless, most probably don't even know what it means, DC could just make a new symbol and say it stands for hope. Superman doesn't need a S symbol to show what he stands for.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#115 frozen  Moderator

Alan and Flash aside, I must be the only one that hate what they've done to the Earth 2 Superman. That was the original GA Superman, they retconned him back but basically made him into a murdering psychopath. What a waste.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemoreposter: I have no opinion on anything, I was just throwing in the fact that the character's race was changed to white with red hair.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By RustyRoy

@oscars94 said:

DC do this to get a reaction. I haven't seen that much of Simon Baz, have you? The character has got attention for a week until sales drop and they disappear.

The reason Simon Baz has stopped being used is because DC never had a real plan for him. They created him so they could kill off John Stewart without looking racist, but when the internet saw the writing on the wall, they had to cancel their plans.

No Caption Provided

Baz is just a character with Kyle Rayner's personality and John Stewart's engineering background, skin tone, and social consciousness. With John Stewart still around, DC doesn't need to use two ethnic Lanterns, but they are afraid of killing off Baz due to all the hoopla surrounding his debut.

Exactly. DC doesn't care about diversity, they just want a reaction. They could push characters like John Stewart, Cyborg, Black Lightning and Vixen.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 2

@beware_my_power: That I already knew about and that he had a daughter name Jade. Like I said, I don't care much about Alan Scott being gay since their focusing on modern day society and diversity to draw in readers of all areas, but if you want to make a character to be something you want just to satisfy us then make a completely new character or have a forgotten/least used character and make her/him something unique to readers. Having Wally West being black doesn't make him unique or interesting to me, it only makes him a 'booby trap' to get more minority readers and Wally fans back into comics without making an effort of making him unique in his own way - separate from the old Wally West - and be the same 'generic black character'.

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 2

@oscars94 said:

No Caption Provided

That's so funny. I wouldn't be surprise if that's how they actually acted in their office.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@captain13 said:

@oscars94 said:

No Caption Provided

Exactly. DC doesn't care about diversity, they just want a reaction. They could push characters like John Stewart, Cyborg, Black Lightning and Vixen.

Greatest Web Comic Ever

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: If only they already had a black character recently introduced in The Flash that was connected to the speed force...

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Captain13

@project_worm: Yeah, Turbine has already been forgotten hasn't he? And his tragic backstory still hasn't been resolved either.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: If only they already had a black character recently introduced in The Flash that was connected to the speed force...

I know, right?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Captain13

@captain13: Actually Baz has a big role coming up in the next couple of issues of both Justice League, and the main GL comic http://www.thecomicbookcast.com/apps/forums/topics/show/12526475-baz-character-not-completly-lost

And Hawkman has a big role on the JLA.

Knowing DC, they'll probably just have Jessica kill Baz off, or they'll turn Baz into a Blue Lantern, to be mostly forgotten when there isn't a big crossover. Eventually, he'll probably become C-List fodder in a major DC event or he'll be rebooted out of existence. Not that most people care, since he has the smallest GL fanbase by far.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: Personally I would like to see him become a yellow lantern (who is still a good guy), and have john become part of the indigo tribe, and have Kyle become a blue lantern. I think that would be really cool.

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: That's just it, you don't need an Asian Garth. They already made a black Aquaman affiliated hero in Kaldur'am who was a huge hit. Instead of just turning Garth black to hit some minority quota, they made a new character in a similar vein, gave him his own interesting personality and backstory, and it took off.

They shouldn't have made Wally West black, they should've just made a new sidekick for Barry if they wanted a black Flash related character. It doesn't preclude Wally from existing and it's an intelligent way to improve the list of minority characters they have rather than the stupid bait. They could've even kept his as the same thing they've turned Wally's character into (two pages in and it's obvious this Wally is nothing like the previous -- probably because the writers of this have admitted to literally never reading a Flash story in their lives, so they were 100% guaranteed to botch it).

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Captain13

@captainmarvel4ever: John only works as a Green to me. He fits in the Corps better than any other human and constantly overcomes his problem with Will rather than Compassion. He's the hard@ss, bad@ss for a reason. If anything, Hal has much stronger ties to the Sinestro Corps and Kyle is more Compassionate. Baz got in trouble in his origin for misusing his Hope. And I don't like the idea of a Muslim character embodying fear and stoking the terrorist accusations, since terrorists, by definition, instill fear.

@justthatkid said:

One thing that most character kept despite the reboot was their appearance their physical traits since they apparently can't keep their personalities..

Making Wally black was just so they could use a character that is big named as a diversity character rather then take the time to build one up since know one really does that for characters anymore apparently.

Next will get a Asian Garth, and Latino Wonder Girl which would be stupid since they should be their own races atlantean/amazonian.. (Kidding about this but I wouldn't be surprised..)

You may have accidentally predicted the future:

Could Wally West be reincarnated at a young African American boy? Does that mean a Latina Donna Troy is far behind?http://t.co/vkTAib19y9

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01/27/fear-of-a-black-flash/

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: John only works as a Green to me. He fits in the Corps better than any other human and constantly overcomes his problem with Will rather than Compassion. He's the hard@ss, bad@ss for a reason. If anything, Hal has much stronger ties to the Sinestro Corps and Kyle is more Compassionate. Baz got in trouble in his origin for misusing his Hope. And I don't like the idea of a Muslim character embodying fear and stoking the terrorist accusations, since terrorists, by definition, instill fear.

I actually thing Baz having a yellow ring would be a great way to explore his character. It's dependent on fear, and Baz using it could really work to make a good story detailing how he is seen by others, and how he himself may fear the distrust that ordinary people see in him. I also think John would be better as an indigo, because he does show compassion, and Hal seems more like the model GL to me. Kyle is compassionate, but as someone who loves comics and looks up to heroes, and is a heroe himself, I think he strongly embodies hopefulness.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Captain13

@captainmarvel4ever said:
@captain13 said:

I actually thing Baz having a yellow ring would be a great way to explore his character. It's dependent on fear, and Baz using it could really work to make a good story detailing how he is seen by others, and how he himself may fear the distrust that ordinary people see in him. I also think John would be better as an indigo, because he does show compassion, and Hal seems more like the model GL to me. Kyle is compassionate, but as someone who loves comics and looks up to heroes, and is a heroe himself, I think he strongly embodies hopefulness.

I would say that since Hal is the maverick GL, he is as far from the model as you can get, or else they would all be like him. John is the model. We just don't agree on the appropriateness of a muslim hero using fear as his weapon. As a White Lantern, Kyle is just a more powerful version of an Indigo Lantern anyway. He uses all the emotions because he is compassionate. Baz put his faith and hope in school. It failed him. He put his hope in people. They failed him. But he continues to hope.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: No I mean his fearless adventurer spirit makes his character the Model GL. He's like the superhero version of Spike from Cowboy Bebop, or Han Solo. I think John would be better suited fot the Indigo Tribe, because right now in the comics things have been kinda boring with him. It was fun when he had a buddy cop relationship with Guy, but now that Guy is gone, the GL Corps. book has lost what made it fun. I think John should get his own book like Guy, dealing with being part of the Indigo Tribe.

Heratu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm black and crap like this makes me freaking sick. I wan't a mexican wonder woman next.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Captain13

@captainmarvel4ever said:

@captain13: No I mean his fearless adventurer spirit makes his character the Model GL. He's like the superhero version of Spike from Cowboy Bebop, or Han Solo. I think John would be better suited fot the Indigo Tribe, because right now in the comics things have been kinda boring with him. It was fun when he had a buddy cop relationship with Guy, but now that Guy is gone, the GL Corps. book has lost what made it fun. I think John should get his own book like Guy, dealing with being part of the Indigo Tribe.

You're comparing Hal to Han Solo and Spike Spiegal? Hal is a maverick, not a cynical rogue who would shoot first or a scoundrel who would engage in illicit activity. He's a frat boy, and has been since the silver age. At best, he's Tom Cruise in Top Gun.

Loading Video...

John is far from boring in the comics right now. Everyone has been praising Jensen's work with John in the comics because he's stepping into the leadership and teaching roles he deserves. The writers totally marginalized him before the writer shift, when he was playing a terrible second fiddle to guy in the worst written of the GL titles.

GLC IS John's own book by the way. He gets more panel time than any character and is the primary focus, as the writers have stated on numerous occasions, but you don't seem to actually be reading the book or paying attention--no offense intended.

We're just not going to agree, so I'm going to end this Green Lantern conversation with you now, considering this is a Wally West thread.

I apologize if I sound harsh or condescending, btw. That's not my intention.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: Sounds fair, this is meant to be about Wally. For the record though I do know that GLC os Johns book right now, It's just that me and some of the hard core GL fans (which I am not) have found GLC to be kind of boring. I jut think he should be part of the indigo tribe so I can find hik more interesting, and so that he can be cool, like Guy is now. I also still think your not giving Hal enough credit, but if you want to agree to disagree, that's fine.

Gordyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see what's so racist about wanting an already established character to stay the same, and not be used as some sort of political statement.

I'm black by the way.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ignorance in this thread is ridiculous...

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dredeuced said:

@justthatkid: That's just it, you don't need an Asian Garth. They already made a black Aquaman affiliated hero in Kaldur'am who was a huge hit. Instead of just turning Garth black to hit some minority quota, they made a new character in a similar vein, gave him his own interesting personality and backstory, and it took off.

They shouldn't have made Wally West black, they should've just made a new sidekick for Barry if they wanted a black Flash related character. It doesn't preclude Wally from existing and it's an intelligent way to improve the list of minority characters they have rather than the stupid bait. They could've even kept his as the same thing they've turned Wally's character into (two pages in and it's obvious this Wally is nothing like the previous -- probably because the writers of this have admitted to literally never reading a Flash story in their lives, so they were 100% guaranteed to botch it).

I was kidding about a asian Garth mainly because of his appearance on Teen Titans

I'd be furious if they changed his race. The Aqua Family is pretty diverse with a Latina Aquagirl and Black Aqualad so it would be pointless

I don't even care anymore, since it seems like Wally isn't even the same age as Dick or Roy. He'll probably just turn into Damian Wayne's sidekick. It seems like a real reunion of the Fab 5 isn't in the cards.

Gordyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean if you want to make a minority character, just make an original one and flesh them out. Instead of changing already established characters, it's a slap in the face to the fans.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormdriven said:

True, but then again, what did you expect?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Captain13

@gordyman said:

@stormdriven said:

I mean if you want to make a minority character, just make an original one and flesh them out. Instead of changing already established characters, it's a slap in the face to the fans.

It's also a race change being done for the wrong reasons, so it's a slap to people who don't normally care about race changing.

But, yes, there is ignorance on all sides here

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gordyman said:

@stormdriven said:

I know right? And accusing other people of being racist for being outraged at it is idiotic.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormdriven said:

True, but then again, what did you expect?

A little too much I guess...

Gordyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: Exactly, some people are actually racist. Whereas some people are legitimately outraged at a pointless publicity stint/political statement.

Gordyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't understand why this keeps happening. I understand the need for diversity in comics. I think mostly everyone does. That's why you build up existing, but underused characters like Luke Cage and Black Panther, or create new ones entirely. People are ready for that, they will accept it.

I believe it is a mistake to change the character's race because it does reek of good intentions done wrong. The publisher is cramming race down the readers throats because comics are a visual media with characters that have established physical traits. It doesn't change the character in anything but a superficial way, but it does change the character in a very noticeable way (remember the outrage over Wonder Woman with pants? Kind of the same thing.)

In the 80's no one would have believed Luke Cage could lead a team of Avengers, but fast forward twenty years and it is a good example of how to correctly bring a black character to the forefront of comics, building him up to a new status.