• 172 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Marvel summer event, Secret Wars, has made quite the impact on Marvel comics. Many characters from different universes are all now part of the same world, but right away, the new series Squadron Supreme did the unthinkable by killing off one a legendary character in a brutal way.

The first issue of Squadron Supreme hit stores on December 16th, featuring the writing of James Robinson and the art team of Leonard Kirk (pencils), Paul Neary (inks), and Frank Martin (colors). What's different about this series is that this new team, the Squadron Supreme, remember the events of Secret Wars and Battleworld. Now, in the new Marvel Universe, they're making a name for themselves in a memorable way.

After introductions to the new team, which consists of Nighthawk, Doctor Spectrum, Hyperion, Blur, and Power Princess, the team decides that Namor must pay for his crimes against humanity. Namor is known for being a turncoat and while many see him as a hero, he's been a villain just as often. The Squadron Supreme decides to take matters into their own hands and runs off to attack Namor and his fellow Atlantians.

No Caption Provided

Hyperion takes the battle to Namor and the two are pretty evenly matched. However, this isn't the Hyperion from the classic Marvel books, who was once an Avenger and a hero. This Hyperion, who originates from another Earth, has no problems doing the unthinkable. What happens next is a pretty big game changer in the Marvel universe.

No Caption Provided

Hyperion single-handily raises Atlantis out of the ocean and does probably the most dastardly thing a villain can do by tossing it into the ground, destroying it. Why go that far? Hyperion is simply getting Namor's attention in a big way. Namor, now filled with rage, tries to go after Hyperion, but Namor isn't thinking.

No Caption Provided

Namor gets blasted by Hyperion and loses the battle. Namor is one of Marvel's tougher characters, so there's a little bit of hope that he'll be ok, especially considering that he's one of Marvel's oldest characters, even pre-dating the actual company. The next page isn't very reassuring.

No Caption Provided

The Squadron Supreme stands above a decapitated Namor, reveling in their victory. Writer James Robinson is known for embracing the past and history at Marvel, so seeing the Sub-Mariner's head removed from his body could be quite the shock to long-time comic fans.

Namor first appeared in Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 back in 1939. This was 6 months prior to Marvel Comics #1, the issue many incorrectly consider to be the character's first appearance. Bill Everett created the character and wrote and drew both the introductory issue, as well as Namor's Marvel Comics appearance.

The golden age character helped usher in the start of Marvel comics, fighting nazis alongside the All-Winners Squad with Captain America and Bucky. Namor was both a hero and a villain working with the Avengers and Defenders but also teaming up with villains like Doctor Doom.

Death is rarely permanent in comic books but killing off a character that's been around since World War II is quite the statement to make in the first issue of a series. Squadron Supreme #1 is available in local comic shops and in digital formats through Marvel and Comixology.

redhoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I thought this Hyperion was on the Avengers with Metal-Arm Thor, Shang Chi, Sunspot, Cannonball etc. if it is the Hyperion I'm talking about, that is Definitly out of character. Can anyone confirm that this isn't a new Hyperion? Or if it's the Hyperion I was talking about?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@redhoodx said:

I thought this Hyperion was on the Avengers with Metal-Arm Thor, Shang Chi, Sunspot, Cannonball etc. if it is the Hyperion I'm talking about, that is Definitly out of character. Can anyone confirm that this isn't a new Hyperion? Or if it's the Hyperion I was talking about?

It's the same Hyperion.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redhoodx said:

To be fair at this point Namor is as much a villain as Thanos is. So it's not like he's going around killing good guys.

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I love when comics do stuff like this. Attack on Titan is the way I like my comics. Dark, some what realistic, and at any moment anyone could die.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Boynerdgeek

Namor die. Lets all agree that Marvel have no plan to make Namor important (at least for upcoming years). Must be sad to for Namor fans because Marvel don't listen to you guys. Namor don't have comics series, he die, and don't have movies. Even Ant-man will have his movie sequel and Daredevil has netflix show

Cagnazzo82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cagnazzo82

I remember reading The Exiles a while back (amazing, amazing series... for 89 issues, until Claremont took over)...

...anyway, back on topic. I remember in the Exiles whenever they went to a dimension where Hyperion (and the Squadron) existed, pretty much all the classic heroes either never gained prominence or were summarily killed off... by Hyperion.

So it's somewhat interesting seeing the group existing in the main universe this time around. I'm not sure where this is going, but judging from the track record with regards to Superman-type characters existing on the main Marvel earth, it likely can't be good news for everyone else.

Egie_Asemota1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Egie_Asemota1

WOW! This was some epic dark stuff. Really interesting story arc going on. I wonder though, how will Wakanda and Black Panther react to this? He and Namor had some serious bad blood. Also, There is no way they aren't going after T'Challa. That will be interesting.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Poor Namor can't even appear in a movie, cartoon, and now dead in comics. He can't even be part of the X-Men.

~MIB

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That was quite easy.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Namor may deserved to be punish for some of the things that he did. But he didn't deserve to die and Atlantis didn't deserve to be destroyed.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WOW! This was some epic dark stuff. Really interesting story arc going on. I wonder though, how will Wakanda and Black Panther react to this? He and Namor had some serious bad blood. Also, There is no way they aren't going after T'Challa. That will be interesting.

Why would they?

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Namor may deserved to be punish for some of the things that he did. But he didn't deserve to die and Atlantis didn't deserve to be destroyed.

Yea I guess your right

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

Ugh. Current Namor was headed in this direction for a while. The Character deserves better and will eventually get it. I would love to see the Original Defenders Smite the new Squadron but I doubt we will see that. The book was cool but I prefer the earlier versions of this team.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I LOVED this issue!! I've always hated Namor and he deserved everything he got in this issue, cant wait to see where this series goes.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll agree that Atlantis didn't need to be destroyed, but Namor murdered worlds and before he murdered worlds he had fun killing Reeds and Sues. This isn't justice really, but I'll shed no tears for him. Besides he's just dead, it's not like that a serious condition in the marvel universe.

At least the Squadron actually did something, unlike the rest of the MU heroes that were ok with what the Iluminati and then the Cabal did. Or if they weren't they haven't done anything for what 8 months now?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He didn't deserve to die for destroying multiple universes.

panther21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i can't wait to read this in Trade Paperback !

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CurrentThor2015

@cagnazzo82: Uh oh, I really like this Squadron but of course like everyone else in the 616, I hope they dont try picking off other heroes, we already know they defeat the Uncanny Avengers but thats because they are going after the SS, and in one of the preview issues for the ANAD Marvel, it was from the Squadrons perspective inspecting every team and they only saw the Ultimates as a threat, and since they are far away in space, I doubt they will be on earth anytime soon.

Kennethmaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they're going against illuminati members black bolt stomps. they have no defense against Stephen. Hulk could possibly solo squadron supreme. Iron man's new suit adapts. Black Panthers has the Ultimates on speed dial to catch a body

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_stegman  Moderator

Faux JL are jerks.

SwampPing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 26

So glad Supreme Nighthawk is back :)

AriesWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this new Supreme Squad is the action team we didn't know we needed. Good to see people are enjoying it. At CBR people are crying that it was too dark, too violent. Someone even mentioned being sick by the fatality lol.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egie_asemota1: t'challa will need a plan bro!! i don't he will be happy about this. just saying. if it happens that he is not happy about it. he will need to call on the avengers to fight the squadron supreme

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There was absolutely no subtly or nuance in this issue.

medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

besides, that might not be the only namor marvel have, after all, all the alternative universe are all together. just saying.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@medulaoblaganda: I think Ultimate Namor is still unaccounted for. Marvel could always bring him in.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CaptainHoopla

Lol, Doctor Spectrum freaking punted his head too.

Figgs216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I thought Black Panther killed him already

OkRaider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By OkRaider88

@figgs216 said:

I thought Black Panther killed him already

He didn't. Hyperion corrected that error.

medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: so, never worry about him dying. ultimate namor from the same universe where namor was killed could pop in. just saying. lol. i was just wondering why marvel couldn't even make a solo series of namor. is it because namor will have the same story aquaman has? namor came first. but i believe another namor will pop in, in later squadron supreme issue. could that be a decoy? lol

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: so, never worry about him dying. ultimate namor from the same universe where namor was killed could pop in. just saying. lol. i was just wondering why marvel couldn't even make a solo series of namor. is it because namor will have the same story aquaman has? namor came first. but i believe another namor will pop in, in later squadron supreme issue. could that be a decoy? lol

Well have to see. Aquaman and Namor are different enough to provide different experiences for the reader. I know I would have read a Namor solo lol. But I'm betting Ultimate Namor will show up later in the book. Might happen might not, that's what I like about this book the unknown.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

We hardly ever get to see Namor anymore, he's not in any of the movies or shows or books or games...what's with that? I really like him.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Namor is a bigger prick than aquaman or dr. Doom. Hopefully Namor stays dead.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soo when will these self-rightous A-holes gonna get the same treatment ?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hexthis said:

We hardly ever get to see Namor anymore, he's not in any of the movies or shows or books or games...what's with that? I really like him.

He was a large part of the last volume of New Avengers.

medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: let's just wait and see. when is the next issue coming out?

@hexthis: believe me, an alternative namor will show up in that same comic.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Serves him right for what he did to Wakanda.

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HeirToTheKingdom

Personally I think Thor Odinson will deal with Hyperion once he's shown again. From what we've seen, they had a really good friendship going on, and I believe Thor will not like what he has been doing. I see him trying to talk, and reason with him, but obviously that won't work.

Also Namor deserved what he got, but Atlantis didn't need to suffer, especially since not everyone in the city was following Namor's orders on the battlefield.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My favorite series from marvel.

panther21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Namor is a bigger prick than aquaman or dr. Doom. Hopefully Namor stays dead.

agreed.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Faux JL are jerks.

Know one likes a hater. Namor death was long over due.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got no problems with the Squadron taking out Namor, after everything hes done to Wakanda in the last few years and everything he did with the new Cabal the Sub-Mariner more than deserved it. My qualm is with this team of heroes taking an already fractured society like Atlantis and leveling the whole place to get at one guy, with this line up of skills and and intellects I'm sure that the Squadron could have come up with a plan that didn't involve this much pointless death and destruction.

Dalwih

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awh man, that really irritates me...I liked Namor. I don't look at his actions as wrong nor as right. His loyalty was to his people and he would do whatever it meant to save them, even if it meant blowing up other earths, at least he was doing something about it.

I really hope to see him again, not ultimate Namor but earth 616, alive and well. But even more than that I hope to see The Squadron Supreme get what they deserve, or what I feel they deserve, death. I get that it was personal, but they were being very hypocritical by destroying Atlantis, that was just horrible.

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He got what he deserved.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Place your bets for how long until he returns. I'll give him 6 months.

worldFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who is the Talon looking guy?