EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EarthsMightiest

http://uproxx.com/movies/2015/07/ian-mekellen-mr-holmes-x-men/

Well, [director Bryan Singer] persuaded me. X-Men was about something. Superman isn’t really about anything. It’s a joke. The nerd changes his underpants and becomes a Superman. That’s James Bond: “Shaken, not stirred,” silly, stupid, British twit… and then, Action Man! But X-Men is about the problems of being a mutant. And we’ve all felt we’re mutants on occasion. So, that was the hook for me. And don’t forget, I didn’t have to sign to do any more than one; I’m just doing a movie.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Edit update: Well Magneto always wanted to start a war I just didn't know it was a Flame War!

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

Damn. Such savagery.

Beata

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I grew up idolizing McKellen as an actor and I don't have the words to say how much this statement broke me.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares about,What this guy thinks

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol! Superman is a little undies boy

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just Superman in general? Thats BS, New-52 or DCCU? Yes thats basically it.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There are other ways to bait Saint Wildcard into a DCCU vs MCU argument, y'know...

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

That's just a round about way of saying what a lot people have classical complained about with Superman: that he's unrelatable

Such a statement is 100% subject to the person talking. If he feels that way, so be it. Who cares? Being famous doesn't give you some type of better opinion about something.

Ian is still an amazing actor and a movie nerd icon.

The_Dark_Void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well he obviously thinks the x-men are more interesting, but singer left x-men 3 to do superman returns, so...

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair, Ol Ian sounds ignorant.

Beata

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Gandalf is just as much of a joke, if anything. Only utilizing his immense wizardry when it's necessary for the plot, please...

YIFY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jtmac005 said:

Well he obviously thinks the x-men are more interesting, but singer left x-men 3 to do superman returns, so...

And it killed Brandon Routh's career.

-yify

Incursion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Incursion
SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@

@the_dark_void said:
@cgoodness said:

For some reason I don't think Ian really knows the difference between New 52 or DCCU.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gracetrack

Ouchie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't know Magneto also attracted salt

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What an ignorant douche. fCkim.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I think for Ian nothing will feel more right than the X-men. He probably relates to the X-men since he was a gay man in a time were it was socially unacceptable.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

He was so much of a joke that Bryan Singer left the X-men franchise and skipped doing their most iconic storyline to make a Superman movie. He really must be a joke.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Skit

Dude needs to read all star superman

The_Dark_Void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't know Magneto also attracted salt

Well, salt has some metal in it...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe
deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juke said:

Gandalf is just as much of a joke, if anything. Only utilizing his immense wizardry when it's necessary for the plot, please...

Yep, you completely nailed the amount of ignorance that was necessary for Ian to make such a comment. The same reply is applicable for both comments: I know where you're coming from, but such an impression can only be left if you don't know anything about the character or its background.

AgentofChaos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The biggest joke would be fake god slowdinson from fake norse mythology . The most boring character ever created

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I guess Superman ridiculed him in high school or something.

TheSpoiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

That's just a round about way of saying what a lot people have classical complained about with Superman: that he's unrelatable

Such a statement is 100% subject to the person talking. If he feels that way, so be it. Who cares? Being famous doesn't give you some type of better opinion about something.

Ian is still an amazing actor and a movie nerd icon.

This

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By judasnixon

Good for you Ser Ian, Rustle those nerds' jimmies.....

He's laughing at your anger....
ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna need stronger shots, Mags.
Gonna need stronger shots, Mags.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

His Opinion.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33 the_stegman  Moderator

The Fire Rises.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rogueshadow  Moderator

It really annoys me when people discuss things they are entirely ignorant about, don't bother bringing something up when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

I think he might be salty about Bryan leaving X-3 for Superman Returns.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the same as some Hot Topic faux-geek buying a Batman shirt and then saying he beats Superman.

It irritates me.

NarutoBebop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://screamsheet.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/lois-lane-63.jpg

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judasnixon: eh, he's just a salty old man. I don't listen to salty old men.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn. Such savagery.

Beata

Good for you Ser Ian, Rustle those nerds' jimmies.....

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@nickras said:
@juke said:

Yep, you completely nailed the amount of ignorance that was necessary for Ian to make such a comment. The same reply is applicable for both comments: I know where you're coming from, but such an impression can only be left if you don't know anything about the character or its background.

Fair enough, I respect your response.

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By StardustCrusader

Man, ever since the Batman V. Superman trailer came out, Marvel has been expanding its territory into salt mining.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By micah007123

@rogueshadow said:

It really annoys me when people discuss things they are entirely ignorant about, don't bother bringing something up when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

How do we know he knows not what he speaks? He could have read every great Superman story out there and still came to the same conclusion.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rogueshadow  Moderator

@micah said:
@rogueshadow said:

How do we know he's knows not what he speaks? He could have read every great Superman story out there and still came to the same conclusion.

Superman isn’t really about anything. It’s a joke. The nerd changes his underpants and becomes a Superman.

I'm sorry but anybody who says this hasn't read a good Superman story. If he has and has come to this hilariously reductionist conclusion, he's an idiot, which I don't believe he is considering the depth he can convey in his characters and that I've seen him discussing literature and character before. If he dislikes the characters, the themes etc, that's fine, he clearly displays limited knowledge of the character in his descriptions, I'd be willing to wager his knowledge is confined to the Christopher Reeve films.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Spot on.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By micah007123

@rogueshadow said:
@micah said:
@rogueshadow said:

How do we know he's knows not what he speaks? He could have read every great Superman story out there and still came to the same conclusion.

Superman isn’t really about anything. It’s a joke. The nerd changes his underpants and becomes a Superman.

I'm sorry but anybody who says this hasn't read a good Superman story. If he has and has come to this hilariously reductionist conclusion, he's an idiot, which I don't believe he is considering the depth he can convey in his characters and that I've seen him discussing literature and character before. If he dislikes the characters, the themes etc, that's fine, he clearly displays limited knowledge of the character in his descriptions, I'd be willing to wager his knowledge is confined to the Christopher Reeve films.

Yeah he could have stated his stance a bit better to clarify what exactly he didn't like instead of a vague generalization. But I do agree with him in some stances. I do like Superman but, there is alot about him I dislike for the matter. I do think he does know what he's talking about since I'd find it hard to believe him of all people would just make an uneducated statement such as this, but we have to remember it's just his opinion.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: That's a really great point.

Superman is lame

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rogueshadow  Moderator

@micah said:
@rogueshadow said:
@micah said:
@rogueshadow said:

Yeah he could have stated his stance a bit better to clarify what exactly he didn't like instead of a vague generalization. But I do agree with him in some stances. I do like Superman but, there is alot about him I dislike for the matter. I do think he does know what he's talking about since I'd find it hard to believe him of all people would just make an uneducated statement such as this, but we have to remember it's just his opinion.

I'm not hating on him, but it really does seem like he doesn't know what he's talking about, if he'd explained why he didn't like him with some credible reasons, I'd mind a lot less, but these are very generic issues that are just flat out wrong when discussing comic versions of Superman as opposed to Reeve, to say he doesn't like what it's about, or thinks the themes relatively simplistic etc is one thing, but to say it is flat out about nothing and has no depth is wrong, it only serves to delineate his ignorance of the character. There are plenty of issues with Superman that writers have to work through as there are with many superheroes, but what he describes really aren't them.

It would be like somebody saying, 'wow, Macbeth is just dumb, it's not even about anything, just some guy who wants to be King, trusts a bunch of crazy witches and ends up dead. And what's the crazy wife about?'

Clearly that person doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not hating on him, but it really does seem like he doesn't know what he's talking about, if he'd explained why he didn't like him with some credible reasons, I'd mind a lot less, but these are very generic issues that are just flat out wrong when discussing comic versions of Superman as opposed to Reeve, to say he doesn't like what it's about, or thinks the themes relatively simplistic etc is one thing, but to say it is flat out about nothing and has no depth is wrong, it only serves to delineate his ignorance of the character. There are plenty of issues with Superman that writers have to work through as there are with many superheroes, but what he describes really aren't them.

It would be like somebody saying, 'wow, Macbeth is just dumb, it's not even about anything, just some guy who wants to be King, trusts a bunch of crazy witches and ends up dead. And what's the crazy wife about?'

Clearly that person doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

Couldn't agree more. Really wish he would have explained himself better honestly.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Skyfire

He's Gandalf and Magneto, he can say whatever he wants.

I have to disagree though, there's much more to Superman's character

Avatar image for serpinethegreen
serpinethegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juke:

Don't be ridiculous

Gandalf is about how an inanely powerful being is no more important than an ordinary Hobbit

He's about guiding the weak small people to solve there problems not through one man's strengh, but the combined strengh of many different people coming together for that one singular goal

Also he doesn't hide who he is like clark and he believes in his friends who although aren't even close to his power he knows are strong in there own rights

Supermans best stories are all about the super strong vs the super strong

In this regard I agree with Ian

I like superman don't get me wrong, but he is a slightly stupid character

And he is in no way like gandalf

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just how people in general see Superman, DC has to do something to change that notion to new generations.