I Have Never Understood Magneto's View Of Humans

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Obviously, Ultimate Magneto obviously considered humans inferior.

However, 616 Magneto is pretty confusing.

His parents and most of the women he ever loved are human. Even early Magneto respected Dr. Doom (even calling him an equal) and Captain America.

More recently in the Magneto series. There was a group that was abducting homeless humans and turning them into Sentinels. Before he kills the main scientist in charge of this he says, I'm doing this for the mutants you killed and the humans you turned into Sentinels. He also never even bothers to ask Blair O'Riley if she's a mutant.

Then you have other stuff in cannon where he has a very low opinion of humans.

I've never been able to figure out his actual views.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess you'd have a very low opinion of humans too if you'd be jew who survived Warsaw Ghetto and Auschwitz.
And then you'd have your daughter burned alive. And etc.

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:
@algorhythm511 said:

I guess you'd have a very low opinion of humans too if you'd be jew who survived Warsaw Ghetto and Auschwitz.

But, I guess the question is: is it all humans?

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@algorhythm511: There is no nessesary contradiction between low opinion about members of other group as general (that can change in time because of later events towards good or bad side with character's development) and respect towards it's individual members.

JokerBat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JokerBat88

The X-Men was a comic representation of the issue of race in American civilization. Consider Magneto's viewpoint as the movement certain groups such as the Black Panther's for example, who witnessed the death of family members due to white supremacy groups.

Magneto's viewpoint mirror's that in a way. He witnessed the death of his family in Auschwitz and his daughter who was burned and then went through life being discriminated against because he was "different" or a mutant and not like other regular humans. After experiencing these atrocities brought upon by human hands, his notion stands that he has no regard for humans and their ways. Is he wrong in doing so? Not really. I think anyone who went through all of that would have a good reason to feel the way he did.

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:

@algorhythm511: There is no nessesary contradiction between low opinion about members of other group as general (that can change in time because of later events towards good or bad side with character's development) and respect towards it's individual members.

The makes sense. I started thinking that after I posted. It seems his dislike of humankind is more a general feeling, but there are exceptions. With character development, the exception list has grown larger or smaller.

It seems in more recent years, he has been anti-oppression against anyone.

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he see's how Mutants are treated, openly discriminated against and outright hated by many (Not all) Humans. And witnessed the rise of The Friends of Humanity and groups like them and because of his own past experiences as a Jew during the war, He see's things like Mutant registration as being the first step down the road to a similar situation for Mutants that the Jewish people had to contend with during World War II.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magneto is the most inconsistent character in Marvel Comics. Every writer has a different interpretation of him and his outlook should be. I wouldn't worry about it.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's based off of the philosophy of Malcolm X. Learn about him.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@rubear said:
@algorhythm511 said:

But, I guess the question is: is it all humans?

Its most humans with the exceptions of a few individuals