I have a question (MCU Black Widow Spoilers Will Be Included)

JaylinFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll I have a question (MCU Black Widow Spoilers Will Be Included) (25 votes)

I’m fine with it 40%
Didn’t approve of it 60%

How do you feel about Taskmaster’s origin, gender, and background being swapped?

• 
AchillesSpawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not fine with any of it. I would have been okay with the gender swap, but they completely changed the character, and made him look so generic. She's no different than any other red room agent.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheInsufferable

Haven't seen the movie, but I'm kinda surprised by the fan reaction, not because I expected MCU's version to be any good, but because I always thought the comic Taskmaster was a rather generic character who has a cool power, but very little personality. And he was never exactly a very popular character. So where did all the expectations come from?

Avatar image for americanspeeddemon
americanspeeddemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

My biggest problem with Taskmaster is I feel she was underused, we didn't see enough of her mimicking and her being a mindless drone is kind of bland unless they pushed the terminator aesthetic.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It made sense for the story and connection to Natasha’s past, I suppose. But I prefer they at the very least give the character some personality. MCU Taskmaster is basically Winter Soldier with the mimic ability, only vastly less interesting, had like no dialogue I can remember. The fight and action scenes were on point tho. Kind of sucks that Tasky is handled better in videogames than live action. Another throw away MCU villain, shocking right 🤷‍♂️

BOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see the problem with it. I could understand more if they just changed the gender, but it's not like they altered that character at all. It's just a different character entirely. And one that - independent of being an accurate adaptation - is a great antagonist, IMO.

minorincon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was fine with it. The annoying about the reaction is the countless amount of social media MCU fans who act like her comic counterpart is their favorite character. Taskmaster is an inconsequential character, and holds zero bearing over the rest of the MCU. Fans of the MCU who don't read comics are having a fake outrage, while every comic fan I've talked to couldn't care less about such a throwaway character. This week's episode of Loki has more bearing over the overall MCU than a Taskmaster who talks more.

Also, implying that Taskmaster's personality is what makes him interesting isn't just a stretch, it's a lie. His one ability is what makes him somewhat interesting, and the movie nailed that. They didn't overdo it, they didn't let you wonder if she had that ability, they took that defining characteristic, and made this dimension's Taskmaster with it. Comparing this to the Mandarin is nonsense.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theinsufferable: Taskmaster has never been and will never be a popular character. People like to groan and complain about whenever a movie changes a character even slightly. Nobody (very few people) would list comic book Taskmaster as an interesting character. This is the reason I didn’t care about it. I wanted Taskmaster for cool fight scenes and that is what we got.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SamJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MCU Taskmaster is basically Winter Soldier with the mimic ability, only vastly less interesting, had like no dialogue I can remember. The fight and action scenes were on point tho.

KrisBishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn’t care about the gender swap. I cared how the character was a meaningless and boring plot device with the most predictable plot twist in the entire MCU.

Aurxlina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why should people care about Tasky being a girl? It's a movie, lmfao.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not fine with any of it. I would have been okay with the gender swap, but they completely changed the character, and made him look so generic. She's no different than any other red room agent.

Avatar image for hydratedfubuki6
HydratedFubuki6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's an addition to the plot of the widows, she's not that bad but I agree that she's underused.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14 the_stegman  Moderator

I don't care about the genderswap, I care that she was just a boring villain.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I am fine with it mostly. I don’t expect the MCU to use Taskmaster again in the next decade of movies. Like several people above what really bugged me was how Taskmaster was a dull automaton. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Robert Patrick both displayed greater charisma in similarly functioning roles. Granted Taskmaster had her face covered 99% of the time, but so did Darth Vader, Djarin (The Mandalorian), Rorschach (Watchmen) and “V” (V for Vendetta). The action scenes were exciting, but the character herself was stale. That had nothing to do with the gender swap.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's weird that people pretend to care so much. Taskmaster is not particularly interesting in the comics either. Honestly, MCU is better because at least they doesn't lose 2/3 of the fights he's in while still supposed to be incredibly threatening.

Divyansh13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aurxlina: even the ultimate Spiderman show version of tasky was far less bland and interesting than the MCU version,and that says something.

Aurxlina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aurxlina

@divyansh13 said:

@aurxlina: even the ultimate Spiderman show version of tasky was far less bland and interesting than the MCU version,and that says something.

Lol