Hypocrisy/Double Standards in the Vs Forums

Avatar image for nootherpurpose1
NoOtherPurpose1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Im sure everyone already knows what this will be about via the title but i just feel the need to outright call them out so lets just get to it.

*Consistency: DBZ is a perfect example for this. In the versus forum, users hold consistency on a very high pedestal for what feats are accepted or not. The reason why DBZ is relevant here is cause the series contradict these people. Many users would agree DBZ characters are planetary and above DESPITE the VERY VERY RARE instances a planet has blown up in the series. In the entirety of DBZ, not a single planet or even MOON was ever busted after freiza saga until the final arc which was the buu arc where (funnily enough) the ONLY thing destroyed on panel was a SINGLE PLANET (earth). Not a star, solar system or anything (theres a filler scene in the anime where buu is shown blowing up multiple planets and even a galaxy but its proven non canon when supreme kai in the manga confirms buu can only galaxy bust after multiple years and besides, that doesnt change my point. Still nothing was busted again till the final arc). CV holds such a high regard in consistency yet series like DBZ are far from consistent with there feats but theyll happily go along with them being planetary or above while turning around and ravaging another series for not being consistent with feats which is hypocritical. In the absolute ENTIRETY of DBZ, only 3 people (that i can at least remember) have planet busting feats and those are vegeta, freiza and buu. King vegeta was a filler scene but even if not. Only 4 people? My point still stands. The feats arent consistent at all.

I also want to mention how people argue how long things take in anime yet no one ever says this regarding the "frieza 5 minutes namek" thing. for that instance, theyll say its the speed of the fighters but that same argument can be applied to all other series. DBZ isnt the only series that does that. Pretty much every series does this.

Dragon ball isnt the only offender of this but imo its definitely the worst.

*Statements: I promise i wont talk about DBZ forever but im gonna open up this new section with it and this time, ill use Naruto as an example as well and itll be about cell and Kakashi. Another thing CV users in the vs forums love to do is dismiss statements. Statements are for the most part seen as fodder evidence that should be immediately dismissed but this is yet again contradicted by how people act toward DBZ. Cell..Despite having no solar system busting feats. Not even a single moon busting feat, comes out and says he could blow up a solar system. THATS IT...he just "says" he can and what do people do? They just accept it. No questions. No doubt. They just accept it and place cell at solar system level. Free of charge. Now why is this relevant to Kakashi? Because he also has a statement where its said he cut lightning. So what similarities do these two characters have? Well they were both stated. Thats obvious BUT Theres actually another thing they BOTH have which is cells "solar system level" power was actually said in the daizenshuu (Basically the DragonBall Databook). But guess who ALSO had his "Lightning cutting feat" said in the databook? Thats right. Kakashi. So lets compare:

Cell:

- Stated they could blow up a solar system

- daizenshu "confirms" statement

Kakashi:

- Stated they a Lightning bolt (even guy confirms this)

- Databook "confirms" this

But guess what? Only ONE of these are considered true while the other one isnt. And you know what that is?

Its hypocrisy. Literally the exact same circumstances but yet one is seen as Legit while the other is seen as False or Outlier.

And theres plenty more examples of just plain, bland statements that have nothing backing them up, being accepted by the majority while other series like Naruto or Bleach need more for the majority to be convinced:

- Boros: Was said he could destroy the planet. Thats all it took for users to agree. Some users have damage controlled it by saying he could only destroy the surface but regardless, Was it shown to be able to surface wipe? No so why accept it to be at that level? Your still just following a bland statement.

- Medea Pidith Machina: (Many people may not know this character. Shes from the shield hero web novel) stated she could tank her attacks thus people have used that as a reason to put her durability at multiversal PURELY based off her "saying" she can with no action confirming this.

-Black clover: Light magic was stated to be lightspeed so boom. Lightspeed based off nothing but a statement.

And web/light novel verses/characters are just CHOCK FULL of just plain statements that have put alot of them on the level there regarded. Not a mass majority of them but there are many web novels that are alot of statements and little backing up of said statements (slime is one of the few i know thats pretty legit)

The problem isnt necessarily that statements shouldnt be viable. The problem is if CV is gonna follow statements for one verse or character than you should keep that same energy for ALL statements or its hypocritical.

*Author intent: Yet again. Another thing that users have double standards with on the versus forums. I cant even begin to process the thought of how many people ive seen have used or said its the "author intent" when something is stated or referenced MULTIPLE times. But then you have instances like Bleach where the mangaka FLATOUT said the mountain ichigo vaped was a mountain. Flatout ON-PANEL which should actually be above author intent somewhat but what do you hear when its brought up? By the same people who scream author intent any other time? "Hill level at best". Kurama is in a similar case where i think about 3 or 4 times, it was said he could destroy or turn the world into ash which ranges from surface wiper to planetary. No one buys it but yet these same people will say its author intent for other series.

*The "Feats or dismissed" Mindset: This is another huge double standard problem the versus forum has. Many, MANY people claim that if theres no feat then its impossible and illogical for a character to be at a certain level. Series like DC, Marvel, DBZ, Toriko and etc are HUGE counters to these as there are REDICULOUS amounts of characters in those series that havent planet busted, star busted, hell soome havent even country busted but if you look or check the majoirty, there solar system, galaxy, etc without the fact they ever showed even a 0.000000000.1% feat of doing anything like that.

These people think feats are THE ONLY form of evidence that can be used. aka scaling doesnt matter if they dont have a feat. Thor could kill someone who had outerversal durability. If he didnt blow up an outerverse than hes not at thta level. No exceptions. Gon from HxH can kill a dude who has galaxy level durability. "But did gon blow up a galaxy? Then outlier" Theyll say. Luffy dodges a full charge from chopper who lets say outran a lightspeed laser a chapter ago. "Nope. Luffy didnt outrun the laser chopper did, did he? Then its Wank" But yet ill bet you these same people say superman prime 1 million is universal or multiversal. Or goku or gohan are galaxy level despite them never having a single busting feat on that level.

Again. Its not that feats are the problem. The problem is when users decide WHEN OR WHEN NOT feats matter or should be accounted for in these debates.

Im pretty sure everyone and there mother knows and have experienced this already but i just wanted to make a topic on it to get it off my chest. Its just so annoying. I guess this can all be blamed on CV not knowing what it wants the standard to be on here (I mean cmon. Ive literally seen people make claims like "CV goes by feats" or "On here, we go by feats") or that theres just too many differing people that take priority in different things but it doesnt stop them from being hypocrites.

*I took out the character that was banned from the discussion this time and i read the rules. Nowhere was it said its against the rules to edit a thread that was previously deemed locked due to something said or mentioned.*

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Not to go into too much of a discussion as i feel it will get rather stupid rather quickly, but Cell has a statement while Kakashi has an off-panel feat. There is a huge difference between the two. Kakashi HAS cut a lightning, whatever that means.

NoOtherPurpose1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NoOtherPurpose1

@chimeroid: There shouldnt be much of a difference tho considering cell has no feat at all.

At least kakashi HAS an off panel feat. Thats more than cell who not only doesnt have that or a feat but also doent have a *compareable" feat like planet busting either so its even worse.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 takenstew22  Moderator
NoOtherPurpose1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NoOtherPurpose1

@takenstew22: Yes because a character that was banned was mentioned. I took that character out and nowhere in the rules does it say i cant repost after fixing the mistakes.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 emperorthanos-  Moderator

yeah it fines now. Although I may lock it anyway if things get to heated.

In regards to the actual discussion here. The answer to your question is simply consistency. People who accept one feat but not the other even if they are same comes down to their opinion on whether the feat is consistent or not in the verse or not.

NoOtherPurpose1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright thank you and yes. This was more so just me bringing up the clear problems double standards when it comes to these specific instances. No ome should get heated tho. Its not like im callimg anyone ir group of specific people out

AnimeFreak1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still definetly agree

IQHolder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ill say what i said before:

"I agree wholeheartedly but yeah. Its pretty much just like what you said.

Everyone already knows about these hypocricies. Its become common place at this point. Everyone does it"

Nobody can stop it. And even if ya call em out, they wont stop regardless.

We have to coexist with it lol