#1 Edited by Richubs (2962 posts) - - Show Bio

How do you think the DCEU would be received if it came before the MCU?

I think it'd be well received because of how unique it'd have been and the fan service it'd have provided regardless of quality. Obviously the level of quality will have a threshold after which not be still well received.

And if MCU had come after it it'd still be very well received but some movies might not be considered as good.

#2 Posted by KingLouie (2812 posts) - - Show Bio

I think opposite

#3 Posted by Aros001 (3468 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe a little better, simply because there would be less to compare to that's already come out. Same reason why the Rami Spider-Man and Donner Superman movies are still considered classics of the superhero genre but would not be considered good if released for the first time today, as CBMs have grown in quality a lot since those days.

However, I do think that there would be still plenty of criticism for the DCEU movies that were hurt heavily from WB's over-meddling, namely the theater version of BvS, Suicide Squad, and, while I do still like it, Justice League. Those are not considered bad because of any Marvel vs. DC comparison but because the studio kept messing with the product to the point it destroyed the director's original vision. Regardless of how good or bad the original movies would have been, they'd at least have been more consistent and coherent throughout.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#4 Edited by Life_Without_Progress (23347 posts) - - Show Bio

Still patchy. most of the movies is still poorly mapped out in plot progression, world establishment and likable characterization in spite of pretty visuals.

Avatar image for geraldofvengerberg
#5 Posted by Geraldofvengerberg (499 posts) - - Show Bio

There would be no DCEU without MCU. Instead we will be getting just Batman and Superman franchise movies

#6 Posted by Richubs (2962 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by adamTRMM (8738 posts) - - Show Bio

As it was? Hard to say, considering nerd journalism is on a rise thanks to MCU and how much exposure to that nerd culture it has given. It would be a different environment (what is expected from a CBM), different mentality (where Dark Knight IS the way superhero comic book movies should be made) and different publication, production, PR, and pretty much everything. MCU convinced everyone that CBMs should be flashy, quippy and purely entertaining.

Man of Steel would probably just be a Superman trilogy/dilogy, knowing WB. exes now, they wouldn't greenlight something as risky without seeing how shared universe worked elsewhere.

#8 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would have been better received because no one had tried to do something like the MCU before Marvel did, so people who still be accepting of a few hickups and flaws.

I also think even if the DCEU had still come second, it would have been better received if WB hadn't taken so long to get it started. Like between Iron Man and Man of Steel 5 years passed, Avengers had already come out and established everything in Marvel's favour, and by then it was too late for the DCEU to really try a different way, the audience had already been inoculated against it and didn't get why the DCEU was so different when the MCU worked so well.

#9 Posted by Lan_Fan (12666 posts) - - Show Bio

They'd be overrated.

#10 Posted by Stahlflamme (5562 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, the quality expected put of cbms would be lower and it would be the original shared universe, but it would still face criticism and the idea of the shared universe would probably be co sidered over ambitious since they are failing rather hard.

#11 Posted by samhmd1 (693 posts) - - Show Bio

If the writing was the same? It might be a little better received but still not be any good.

#12 Posted by CyberpunkCop (1922 posts) - - Show Bio

There wouldn't be any DCEU Monsterverse Arrowverse without the MCU

#13 Posted by godzilla44 (6904 posts) - - Show Bio

MOS probably would've been better received but BvS would probably be still divisive.

#14 Posted by Helloman (26665 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be received a little better.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#15 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (8914 posts) - - Show Bio

Still trash

#16 Posted by Magian (150424 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe a bit more lenient towards it but other than that, I don't think things would be that different really.

#17 Posted by Stefano (2488 posts) - - Show Bio

Just as bad

#18 Posted by WhyZoSerious (1588 posts) - - Show Bio

There wouldn't be any DCEU Monsterverse Arrowverse without the MCU

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#19 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (14265 posts) - - Show Bio

JL and SSquad would still get bad reviews, I haven’t seen Aquaman yet. MOS and BvS would be rated higher.

#20 Posted by incursion2 (1794 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for darthvaderrocks
#21 Posted by darthvaderrocks (1070 posts) - - Show Bio

DCEU only exist because of an MCU. Without the MCU existing the DCEU doesn't exist.

But I'll play along and say the DCEU would still be poorly received because the writing would still suck. Along with other things *cough* Zack Snyder *cough*

Avatar image for supermanforever
#22 Edited by Supermanforever (7498 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthvaderrocks said:

DCEU only exist because of an MCU. Without the MCU existing the DCEU doesn't exist.

But I'll play along and say the DCEU would still be poorly received because the writing would still suck. Along with other things *cough* Zack Snyder *cough*

how do you know it would never exist without mcu? Such a ridiculous comments this days its sad.

#23 Posted by the_stegman (39997 posts) - - Show Bio
Moderator Online
#24 Posted by the_stegman (39997 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a tough question to answer. I feel the DCEU is in many ways a direct response to the MCU. Would BvS even exist if Avengers didn't? You have to admit WB fast tracked a rush to JL because of that success. Would Suicide Squad have had the same tone it did if it wasn't so obviously influenced by GOTG? Anyway, let's say the movies all DID exist the same way they were, I think they would be scrutinized less. After all, most compare them to how the MCU did things, and with no MCU to show us how a shared universe should be done "correctly" many would have nothing to compare DC's approach to.

Moderator Online
#25 Posted by darthvaderrocks (1070 posts) - - Show Bio

@supermanforever: Because it wouldn't. Zero comic book movie universes until the MCU came along. MCU planted that idea into the heads over at WB.

#26 Edited by Supermanforever (7498 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthvaderrocks said:

@supermanforever: Because it wouldn't. Zero comic book movie universes until the MCU came along. MCU planted that idea into the heads over at WB.

yeah but how does that prove there would never be one if mcu didnt exist? Thats is just statment, nobody knows that.

#27 Posted by Supermanforever (7498 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: im cool with the by the insult part. Didnt mean to insult anyone. But saying that dceu would not exist without mcu is just bold statment. With this logic we could say mcu wouldnt exist if it wasnt for dc comics. Or could it? we would never know. I just think these people are trying to act like children trying to prove one is superior to the other. So i just pointed it out.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#28 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (6751 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League was a terrible movie

#29 Posted by darthvaderrocks (1070 posts) - - Show Bio

@supermanforever: Sure maybe one day it would happen but it wouldn't have been in the foreseeable future.

#30 Posted by Supermanforever (7498 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by Mister_Surreal (6127 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be seen as being 30% better than it actually is. The biggest threat to the DCEU is MCU bias.

#32 Posted by Renchamp (7606 posts) - - Show Bio

As someone who just wants to watch good movies, MOS would still have put me to sleep in the blown-out and completely overdone final fight. The "Martha Redemption" still would have made me roll my eyes. I would still think Zachary Levi looks ridiculous in that Shazam suit. Quality is quality. Not quality, well, it's not quality.

I would prefer both studios putting stuff out that drives the other to do bigger and better things. Hopefully we are getting there.

#33 Posted by JohnCena69swag (3669 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna go ahead and say it would be worse off. Normies only care about superhero movies because of the mcu. After they see avengers they have to turn to the dceu for their fix.

#34 Posted by g2_ (11204 posts) - - Show Bio

The same.

#35 Posted by Y2G (415 posts) - - Show Bio

Ambitious but a mixed bag/disappointing.

#36 Posted by Mutant1230 (6155 posts) - - Show Bio

It'd be just as hated, except people would use it as proof that Cinematic Universes can't work instead of seeing it at it actually is, a good idea that was horribly mismanaged.

#37 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

@renchamp said:

I would prefer both studios putting stuff out that drives the other to do bigger and better things. Hopefully we are getting there.

By making everything more stupid, shallow and driven by spectacle? How is that 'better'?

#38 Posted by Renchamp (7606 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85: You lost the definition of "better" with your negativity. Objectively speaking, a better movie would be a good thing, not "stupid, shallow and driven by spectacle".

Sure, "bigger" can mean "stupid, shallow and driven by spectacle", but not when it is linked with "better". I made sure to link the two words so that there wouldn't be any mistake in what I meant. I want bigger and better movies.

#39 Edited by LawCol (621 posts) - - Show Bio

If we're looking at the current DCEU films, then I think they would have damaged the concept of shared cinematic universes. So thank goodness the MCU came out first. Of course, chances are we'd never have seen the DCEU without the MCU. Since DC lacked the desire to push beyond Superman and Batman films / franchises.

#40 Posted by m2k (545 posts) - - Show Bio

We'd probably only be getting Batman 10 and possibly Superman 6 or 7. That's all WB knew up to that point.

#41 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

@renchamp said:

@outside_85: You lost the definition of "better" with your negativity. Objectively speaking, a better movie would be a good thing, not "stupid, shallow and driven by spectacle".

Sure, "bigger" can mean "stupid, shallow and driven by spectacle", but not when it is linked with "better". I made sure to link the two words so that there wouldn't be any mistake in what I meant. I want bigger and better movies.

And I would say you are misusing the term 'better' for something that is dumber, more shallow and more driven by spectacle so that it appeals to as many people as possible, which is the Marvel way.

#42 Posted by samhmd1 (693 posts) - - Show Bio

@renchamp said:

And I would say you are misusing the term 'better' for something that is dumber, more shallow and more driven by spectacle so that it appeals to as many people as possible, which is the DC way.

Fixed.

#43 Posted by Renchamp (7606 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85: You can't tell me how I'm using the word. I straight up told you that I am using it objectively, not what your narrow perception is. Your contention says a lot about you.

#44 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio
@renchamp said:

@outside_85: You can't tell me how I'm using the word. I straight up told you that I am using it objectively, not what your narrow perception is. Your contention says a lot about you.

And then applying it to something that isn't better? Either you are using the word incorrectly, or you are not objective. Your choice.

#45 Edited by Renchamp (7606 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85: See, but it's you who says it's not better. I'm talking objectively. Perhaps you don't know what "objectively" means...

I think I'm done talking with you. You seem to only care about subverting others to your subjective view. I won't, so we are done.

But to really stoke the fire: the DCEU will always be the Beach Boys "20/20" to the MCU as the Beatles "Abbey Road".

#46 Edited by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

@renchamp said:

@outside_85: See, but it's you who says it's not better. I'm talking objectively. Perhaps you don't know what "objectively" means...

I think I'm done talking with you. You seem to only care about subverting others to your subjective view. I won't, so we are done.

But to really stoke the fire: the DCEU will always be the Beach Boys "20/20" to Marvel as the Beatles "Abbey Road".

Apparently you are as objective as a FOX News presenter is unbiased.

No I care about getting people to wizen up about the MCU not being 'good movies' or maintain they are the way forwards for the genre of superhero movies. Since if you'd like movies with some depth and substance to them, then the MCU certainly isn't the way, likely because all the kids and sheep wouldn't get it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c19671744860
#47 Posted by deactivated-5c19671744860 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

The films would be still be bad regardless of the MCU

Avatar image for deutschkurzhaar
#48 Posted by DeutschKurzhaar (1157 posts) - - Show Bio

When I think about it, it probably would be a lot better. The Mcu has set the bar so high.