How to Hype: She-Ra vs. Broly

reikai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Not really a versus so much as a mild discussion about upcoming things. When people first heard about a new She-Ra series, reception was kinda decent. But then the trailer for the new show dropped...

And the animation immediately makes you think of every other kids show that comes out in recent years, like Steven Universe and TTG. Which isn't terrible in itself, but when you start actually thinking about the Story of this new series, most casual fans and older fans tend to drift towards-

Which just leads to certain groups supporting the show for the sake of their personal views as opposed to arguing about anything good about it, and other people just saying how much it betrays the original. Ultimately, this kills any kind of hype.

And then we move over to the anime side. What'd we get? A teaser for a new DBS movie.

What'd it do? It showed us a new style of animation while keeping the classic look of the characters. At first it kept the new antagonist a mystery, bringing fans to come up with theories and guesses as to who it could be. Is it a new Saiyan? Is it the original Super Saiyan God? Questions abounded and hype increased.

And then the first official trailer dropped.

The hype train exploded. It was Broly. And not just a returning Broly, but a brand New Broly being introduced to the Main Canon. A new design that still keeps elements of the original. It teased and tantalized the audience with an epic battle to come between the strongest fighters in Universe 7 and Broly. How would this story unfoled? Well, that was teased in the 2nd trailer.

Hype continued to build. This wasn't just about having a big brawl, it was to explore the history of the Saiyan race, their encounter with Freeza and the actions of three Saiyan families that would impact the future. King Vegeta, Paragus and Bardock, each with their own motivations and whose decisions would impact the future of their children.

Things couldn't become even more hyped...could they?

The third and final official trailer. The hype reaches Maximum levels. More action than the last two movies combined and much more story than anyone would've figured. And the return of Broly's Legendary form, along with many homages to the original Broly film thrown in there.

This is how to appease both old fans and get new ones. By respecting the original material and building from it to create something fun and enjoyable for everyone. They concerned themselves with nothing more than to produce a fun and exciting Dragon Ball movie. That was it. And it's because they didn't falter before things like politics and PC culture and whatnot that fans are going to love this movie. It is effectively the anime equivalent of Avengers Infinity War.

Which also unfortunately means that animated series like She-Ra and even Thundercats Roar, are just going to tossed aside and forgotten about. Old fans don't want it and these shows are playing things too safe to attract new fans to these series. People will argue that kids will watch it, but the fact is, kids will watch anything for pretty colors and explosions. The fact is shows like these are just uninteresting.

Dragon Ball has its flaws to be sure, and yet its kept a growing and stable fan base for over 30yrs. Dragon Ball helped build the entire Shonen genre of anime and inspired many shonen series and mangaka. Whereas She-Ra was...just the gender swapped version of He-Man. And that was fine for the 80's. Which had plenty of good, strong female characters. However, nowadays, being a "strong female character" has absolutely no meaning as they end up lacking any other kinda of personality trait besides being a 'strong female character".

In summary, what She-Ra did, and what other shows like Crunchyroll's upcoming High Guardians Spice did, is just not appealing to audiences at large and are set to target only a very specific and very small demographic of people. Leading to the opposite of hype. Whereas the Broly movie is being respectful to the sources, to the fans, and bringing changes to help push the series as a whole forward. And you don't get much more hype than that.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jgames

Eh actually looking more forward to she-Ra than the DBZ movie. The only reason I say this is less have to do with the trailer promotion and more so the fact that super writting was somewhat terrible. Plus bardock minus is cannon. That being said the third trailer was awesome even though some of the cgi is off-putting.

Also I like steven universe (IDK how is comparable to ttgo), so yeah the trailer personally made me interested, but keep in mind I do not care for the original toy commercial show. For people who did I can see why the srt style can be off putting. Also it can be off putting for people have not like shows with similar art style.

I say one thing thay I really did not like from the promotional side of things from She-ra is the fact thst the people working on the show reply to the criticism poorly and essentially calling anybody who hate she-ra design sexist.

Also just from the promotional side, yes the dbz movie trailers have been on fire (minus the all bardock minus being cannon).

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Broly trailer

reikai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames:

Eh actually looking more forward to she-Ra than the DBZ movie. The only reason I say this is less have to do with the trailer promotion and more so the fact that super writting was somewhat terrible. Plus bardock minus is cannon. That being said the third trailer was awesome even though some of the cgi is off-putting.

Supers writing did suffer here and there. Part of it being the re-telling of the last two DBZ movies making up the first two arcs of the Super series. Can't deny that Baby Pan is adorably awesome though and Piccolo is best dad. One of the main problems is...there's just too big a cast. When there's 20-30 mainstay characters in a series and none of them stay dead, ultimately you're not going to be able to focus on anyone but the core group.

That being said, it's not all bad and still fun to watch. The biggest failing was how they ended the Trunks Arc. That should've been handled better.

Also I like steven universe (IDK how is comparable to ttgo), so yeah the trailer personally made me interested, but keep in mind I do not care for the original toy commercial show. For people who did I can see why the srt style can be off putting. Also it can be off putting for people have not like shows with similar art style.

SU and TTGO is more about the art style and not the content. I was also never a fan of the original She-Ra series, but it's also not just about the original TV series, but he comics and other media where she was a mainstay character. Hell, He-Man has crossed over with Thundercats and DC in comics and they've mostly had a good handling on their female characters.

However, one of the problems people have with the new series isn't as much the art style as it is the character design. That is; making pretty much everyone look androgynous, with the exception of the main villain who is very clearly Male and very clearly Evil.. Which only appears to feed into the political leaning of the shows creators. Something that doesn't sit well with old fans and casual audiences. It's one thing to have your views subtly shown in the show so it doesn't detract from the overall story, but unfortunately, it just doesn't appear as though the writing talent behind the new She-Ra series can handle subtlety.

It's as unsubtle and direct as Mr Mackey talking about drugs.

Loading Video...

Which is a shame. Cause there were people hopeful for a new version of She-Ra. Yet the general reaction was actually similar to fan reaction to DC's New-52 universe; "What the hell were you thinking?"

I say one thing thay I really did not like from the promotional side of things from She-ra is the fact thst the people working on the show reply to the criticism poorly and essentially calling anybody who hate she-ra design sexist.

Which is unfortunately the same reaction feminists or NPC writer have to any kind of criticism. We see this all the time with comics. They attack the fans and anyone else by throwing labels at them and firing off buzz words while virtue signaling. This doesn't help promote your material, it hurts it and only makes people not want to support it. And the people who claim to support it, aren't actually going to buy it. They're just there for social media points.

They don't see that you don't need all of this. The only thing you need for the show to succeed is good writing, good characterization and good marketing. That's it. And that's mainly why I used the trailers for the recent Broly movie as a counter. The writing appears far improved from the Super series thus far and the animation is top notch. We all agree that the CGI moments aren't great, but they are better than the last two films and more resemble models from the Dragonball FighterZ game, which is a step up. And it's not as out of place as, say, the CGI model of Goblin Slayer in said series when he's the Only CGI model in the scene and everyone and everything else is animated normally.

Ultimately though, this new She-Ra just isn't going to stick around. While one could say that the last attempt to revitalize a series was the 2011 Thundercats series also failed, it wasn't for the same reason. the 2011 Thundercats just came out at the wrong time. The show took risks and had a much darker tone in comparison to other shows airing around that time. And yet, the 2011 Thundercats was still faithful to the original series and the fans liked it. While it was canceled before its time, it was still infinitely more interesting and respectful than Thundercats Roar.

Wrathofthebrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Broly is the most overrated Dragonball character period and i'm not hyped at all, She-Ra looks kind of weird but seems to fit to a younger target audience.

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art and animation is good.

The questions I have is whether Broly might just be all rage without talking and no slight change in character before he becomes a parody or something. Whether some minor characters will get a chance to do something important? How will he be different from Jiren in presentation and outcome as well as abilities outside of raw power and strength that continues to present itself? What lore will they focus on or expand? How will it end and lead a path like the other movies? etc.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@reikai: Again disagree with TTGo being comparable to art style personally. Remind me more of Bee and Puppy Cat and Hilda.

Also as far as the "LEFTIST PROPAGANDA" goes, eh. I mean granted yes the people behind the show are clearly people on the left and have work on shows and comic book that deals with lgbtq+. That being say for the most part the shows and comic book they work on are great and does not feel force with political message. So I personally do have some faith that they will do a good job. Also I just really hate it that having characters that are not overly feminine (which I think she supposed to be younger so seriously what wrong with not having big breast god damn it) is something people feel the need to hate or even praise a show for. What matter again is the execution of the show, but people feel the need to make it a camp of use versus them and nothing in between. I mean I feel like sometime I have to agree with the left side because lots of the toxic people on the right push me to the left, and vice versa. I feel like people themselves are making thing more political than the writer and creators themselves.

Also screw you for using the word NPC writer, screw you, screw you. What is that even supposed to mean, screw that meme.

Also again Bardock Minus, so my faith in the writing is not that high, especially since it does feel eerie similar to Resurrection of F, where you bring back a popular villain for a movie. Sure they might be more exploration of the past that can vastly improve Broly story over the original movie, but I feel like is a movie that going to be 80% action and 20% story that probably won't be flesh out that much. Hopefully I am wrong and the writing is better than My little pony DBS edition they pull toward the end of the show.

Also as for She-Ra, who knows. Maybe it will get lots of support and have lots of fan, or it will be forgotten. In the end of the day I just have to wait and see, and hopefully both of them are good since I do not like wasting my time watching crap.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MetalJimmor

I feel like the comparison here is inherently flawed.

Broly is one of the most iconic and beloved characters of one of the largest and most influential fandoms in the anime world. Toriyama could have walked on stage, said "Broly", then dropped the mic and left and the internet would have still exploded from the hype.

She-Ra, by contrast, is the female counterpart of a famous character who's popularity has mostly survived in the form of niche comicbooks and internet memes.

In an infinite multiverse where every possibility that can exist does exist, a universe where She-Ra is more hyped than Broly simply does not exist.

Avatar image for peculiarlilliputian
peculiarlilliputian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel as though OP is missing some key points for these trailers that are really important to keep in mind, and which make this comparison really unfair on a fundamental level.

She-Ra's trailer is a way to familiarize everyone with the setting and the characters in one go. Since it's basically a brand new show, they can't risk investing a ton of money into multiple advertisements to show off a few aspects at once. It's more beneficial in the long run to have all of the information in one trailer that's easy to spread around.

Unfortunately, that also means that they have to cram a lot of information all at once. You have to introduce the characters (because very few people in the younger generations know who She-Ra is. Heck, most people in the 80's-90's generations don't even know who she is.), the setting, the conflict, and the concept. That's a lot to shove into 2 minutes and 44 seconds!

Meanwhile, you have Dragon Ball. Everyone knows the franchise. Everyone knows who Goku is. Their trailers are built around this knowledge, and around the budget that comes with being one of the most recognizable franchises in Japan and North America. They can bust out several shorter ones that reveal small bits of information, because they already know they're making their money back with this film, and they have to introduce very little by way of new concepts.

Plus, the movie is based around a character that we're already familiar with. I have been informed that Broly is just as popular as Goku, among DBZ fans. So holding off on the reveal until the second trailer is a valid strategy, because they already know that everyone would lose their minds over "OMG IT'S BROLY". Literally they could have aired a 1 minute clip of Toriyama farting into a microphone, stand up, say "Broly", and then immediate end the video and you'd get the exact same amount of hype. And possibly a new fetish.

Additionally, you have to consider that She-Ra's trailer is for an episodic series aired on a platform you have to pay a monthly fee to access, whereas the Broly trailers are for one movie clocking in at about 2 hours or less. That does make a significant difference.

In conclusion (aka tl;dr): She-Ra's trailer is for an episode 'TV' show that needs to be treated as an entirely new IP with a smaller budget, so it needs to establish a lot more in one video to make it easily accessible to the largest possible audience while garnering enough interest to hopefully help retain viewership after the first episode. Dragon Ball Super: Broly's trailers are for a movie of an IP that has a massive following on a worldwide scale with a larger budget, so it doesn't need to get into as many details, as there is already a large amount of pre-established interest and hype.

Also, not getting where you guys are seeing a Steven Universe or Teen Titans Go!-esque art style for She-Ra. Those types of shows rely on character designs based on simple shapes. She-Ra's art style is more like a bootleg Legend of Korra or Voltron (that new one everyone loves) art style. It wants to be an anime, but can't be.

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Broly's appearance leads to a new arc where the GoDs and angels actively try to deal with Saiyans.

The way I see it is Frieza is a hug universal threat but he is too xenophobic to reproduce with another species. The gods will outlive him.

The saiyans on the other hand are real threats to the cosmic hierarchy. In 1 generation Goku and Vegeta went from Moon busters to fighting Jiren and shaking voids. I think the GoDs will either tell the saiyans they are no longer able to reproduce, which will threaten Vegeta's newborn, or they'll order Beerus and Champa to kill them all.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She'Ra looks uninteresting so far however if they don't make her a Mary Sue then the show will be worth watching. I really don't want a show like that to go down that road, it needs to have a strong female character with PERSONALITY and DEVELOPMENT instead of her gender.

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hypnos0929: I mean, technically Frieza does have a son...

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hypnos0929: No, I mean a biological son from another one of Toriyama's mangas. He's called Kuriza

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By XLR87T3

@reikai: This is literally the first time I've seen you make a non-battles thread, ever! OMG! And as for your question, I was gonna give a long reply but @peculiarlilliputian took all the words out of my mouth