How to fix Rey in Star Wars Episode 9 ?

zxkk7299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

We all know why Rey is hated among most of the fans so i am not going to explain it.

I want to ask is there still a way to fix Rey's character in Episode 9 or its too late now ?

Is it possible to introduce some kind of complicated back story of Rey which explains why she is on par with Kylo and strong with the force.

Maybe she is a highly trained warrior whose memories were wiped out or replaced with the false memories of her parents leaving her and then she was left on Jakku so that one day Resistance will find her.

Do you think some kind of a back story like this would work ?

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Ehh, I don't see the point in using this movie to "correct" stuff from the previous movies. Just roll with it, make it work and gives us something that is at least decent this time.

NiteLite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stop making her such a Mary Sue.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

Kill her in the opening of Episode 9.

solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Just add more layers to her. As of now she's a good hero but kind of a Mary Sue.

Avatar image for echostarlord117
echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's too late. After two movies of her insufferable character, the damage is done.

samhmd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, the fandom was out to hate Rey from day one so there's nothing that can be done to "fix" her at this point. Not that she needs it since she's going to get ripped into no matter what.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-6081fb94189dc
deactivated-6081fb94189dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What matter?

They can give her the best development and the fandom will hate her anyway.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's too late. After two movies of her insufferable character, the damage is done.

What exactly about her is insufferable? The worst I can think of with her is that she's a little more adept in some areas that she realistically should be and sometimes can be a little dull. Insufferable usually implies some kind of annoyance or something about the character that makes them unbearable to watch.

Arc_Conductor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like damage control is out of the question at this point.

samhmd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:
@echostarlord117 said:

What exactly about her is insufferable?

She's Luke's replacement. That's all the SW fandom needs to hate her.

echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:
@echostarlord117 said:

What exactly about her is insufferable? The worst I can think of with her is that she's a little more adept in some areas that she realistically should be and sometimes can be a little dull.

Way to understate it...

First off, Daisy Ridley's performance makes the character very unlikable. That's subjective, I know, but valid nonetheless.

Second off, she's amazing at everything, not just "a little more adept in some areas." She's super good looking despite being a starving orphan on a poor as dirt planet, extremely skilled/knowledgeable/talented at nearly everything she picks up despite having little to no formal training whatsoever (yes, Luke was a prodigy, but there's a difference between being a prodigy and being able to master nearly everything you look at in a second), and she has no significant character flaws.

That final point is my biggest complaint. It's common knowledge that a well written character can't be perfect. In fact, I'd wager that's entirely the reason she "can be a little dull." She's pretty much flawless, much more so than Luke ever was, and that's boring as hell. I honestly can't recall anything about her character that makes her relatable or interesting. In the case of Luke, he started his journey as a young kid, brash, impulsive, and ignorant. He was an immature teen that wanted to leave his boring home and his boring parents, see the world, or galaxy rather, and help stop an evil Empire that caused his guardians' untimely death. Later, we see a masterfully executed plot twist as we discover that this unassuming protagonists' real father is THE Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth freakin' Vader. We see Luke lose. We see him get man handled. Then, as he gets older and wiser, more skilled, powerful, and battle hardened, he finally manages to just barely defeat his father, only to almost die at the hands of the true evil behind it all, Darth Sidious. That is good story telling, even if it may be a bit formulaic.

Rey is just another Hollywood factory heroine that is nothing more than an on screen action figure. Unlike Luke, her story starts her off as an unbelievable badass surviving against insurmountable odds perfectly. She manages to do everything just right, but instead it's the world around her keeps her down. I mean, give me a break, that's just boring. I don't want to see the protagonist of my story be amazing right from the get go. I want to see them grow and become great. I suppose this is just a case of to each their own, but I feel most agree with me.

Insufferable usually implies some kind of annoyance or something about the character that makes them unbearable to watch.

Meh, semantics. You know what I meant, although I think there's a legitimate argument to be made for her being truly textbook definition insufferable.

@samhmd1 said:
@aros001 said:
@echostarlord117 said:

Lel You have no clue how pumped I was for Episode VII. It has nothing to do with a chick, or anyone for that matter, replacing Luke. Heck, my favorite Star Wars story doesn't even include Luke. She's a badly written character. Plain and simple.

samhmd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By samhmd1

@echostarlord117 said:
@aros001 said:
@echostarlord117 said:

What exactly about her is insufferable? The worst I can think of with her is that she's a little more adept in some areas that she realistically should be and sometimes can be a little dull.

Way to understate it...

That final point is my biggest complaint. It's common knowledge that a well written character can't be perfect.

Tell that to most versions of Batman and Superman.

Hell, DCEU Wonder Woman fits the perfect bill too.

echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1: And? All the best versions of Batman and Superman are far from perfect. That's especially true for Batman. Have you ever watched a TAS episode?

The DCEU sucks. Tell me something I don't know.

samhmd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1: And? All the best versions of Batman and Superman are far from perfect. That's especially true for Batman. Have you ever watched a TAS episode?

The DCEU sucks. Tell me something I don't know.

Yeah I have, and plenty of times Batman in TAS comes off as a royal stu.

Then why is DCEU WW praised so much?

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The writing and pointless plotlines are what made the movie suck

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By socajunkie  Moderator

@echostarlord117: What's even worse is that Luke didn't even train her in TLJ. Her 'Jedi training' consisted of her shadow sparring with a lightsaber and meditating for a minute which is somehow enough in the eyes of the film maker to make her full fledged Jedi. She went on to beat those guards and levitate those boulders with nothing short of a crash course, in fact not even that. Anakin, the chosen one while starting a few years too old still received proper training, Luke a prodigy still required training from Yoda but Ms Sue is too good for that. It's awful.

But to be perfectly honest, I could forgive her being perfect at everything she tries if they just gave her a damn flaw of some kind, make her actually human. It is as you said, the biggest problem.

echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1 said:

How does that make him flawless?

I don't know, I haven't seen the movie. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the relative quality of the rest of the DCEU films.

By the way, let's not forget that TFA and TLJ are also praised a lot, both having stellar reviews on RT.

@echostarlord117: What's even worse is that Luke didn't even train her in TLJ. Her 'Jedi training' consisted of her shadow sparring with a lightsaber and meditating for a minute which is somehow enough in the eyes of the film maker to make her full fledged Jedi. She went on to beat those guards and levitate those boulders with nothing short of a crash course, in fact not even that. Anakin, the chosen one while starting a few years too old still received proper training, Luke a prodigy still required training from Yoda but Ms Sue is too good for that. It's awful.

It bothers me that when these totally legitimate criticisms are brought up, you're called either a hardheaded Prequels fanatic or a misogynist for some reason. I wish people could just admit how much nonsense like that breaks immersion.

samhmd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1 said:

I don't know, I haven't seen the movie. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the relative quality of the rest of the DCEU films.

By the way, let's not forget that TFA and TLJ are also praised a lot, both having stellar reviews on RT.

@socajunkie said:

It bothers me that when these totally legitimate criticisms are brought up, you're called either a hardheaded Prequels fanatic or a misogynist for some reason. I wish people could just admit how much nonsense like that breaks immersion.

It means that Batman can get away with this and no one complains.

Yeah, but WW doesn't get harassed the way TFA and TLJ do after the fact. Nothing says that Rey is a full Jedi, just trained enough to last against Kylo Ren (who wasn't a Sith Lord, remember). If she was a full Jedi she'd have killed Snoke herself.

echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1 said:
@echostarlord117 said:
@samhmd1 said:

That doesn't answer my question.

Yeah, but WW doesn't get harassed the way TFA and TLJ do after the fact. Nothing says that Rey is a full Jedi, just trained enough to last against Kylo Ren (who wasn't a Sith Lord, remember). If she was a full Jedi she'd have killed Snoke herself.

EXCEPT SHE WASN'T. She literally had no training in the first movie and held her own against a supposedly talented and well trained Force user. The films just bill her as this natural beast. IIRC one of the earliest scenes in TFA is her saving Finn by doing some kung fu with her metal rod. How? How is the Star Wars equivalent of an Afghani Oliver Twist such a master of combat? Because "teh f0rc3?" These people don't get Star Wars at all and basically sat around in a board room trying to figure out how super duper flashy and cool beans they can make this movie. It apparently worked like a charm.

Oeselian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Oeselian

Luke becomes a dark force ghost. Possess' her body and throws himself off a cliff. Preferably in the first 5 minutes of the movie.

I lost faith in the character in TFA. I don't care how much innate talent somebody has; if you fight somebody who has trained their entire life in something in particular and you have practically zero, then you will lose 99% of the time, even if that other person is slightly less talented. I'm referencing the fight in TFA between Kylo and Rey for those who aren't picking up what I'm putting down.

Compare it to this. One guy is far more athletic to me and has the potential to excel at any physical sport or martial art in a much shorter time than the average joe. Throw him in a kickboxing/muay thai match with me, providing he hasn't trained in at all and I have for 6-7 years, I'll win every damn time. Anybody who denies this, clearly has no achieved a decent level of skill in anything and put it against a complete beginner.

Then the Rey fans will come with "But but but she has trained with her staff". She has zero feats to say she's actually fought anybody, let alone trained individuals on a regular basis. I'll also make another comparison here. She hasn't been taught to use the staff and yeah sure, she may be good. But let's compare that to a decent street fighter. Make a street fighter who has very little in the way of actual training and instruction and they will lose almost every time to a trained fighter.

Rant over.

goku9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SJW force is strong with this one.

samhmd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1 said:
@echostarlord117 said:
@samhmd1 said:

That doesn't answer my question.

EXCEPT SHE WASN'T. She literally had no training in the first movie and held her own against a supposedly talented and well trained Force user. The films just bill her as this natural beast. IIRC one of the earliest scenes in TFA is her saving Finn by doing some kung fu with her metal rod. How? How is the Star Wars equivalent of an Afghani Oliver Twist such a master of combat? Because "teh f0rc3?" These people don't get Star Wars at all and basically sat around in a board room trying to figure out how super duper flashy and cool beans they can make this movie. It apparently worked like a charm.

It does. There are plenty of times Batman is portrayed as a Sue and no one complains, but he's got a much longer publication history than Rey so there are plenty of times he can not be shown to be a Sue. Rey has only been around for a few years, so she doesn't have that advantage.

She was self-taught. Nothing suggests Ren was ever some Master Swordsman, and had no other Force Users to fight after fleeing Luke to gauge himself against. She fights well with her staff because she's had to fight off other hostiles on Jakku.

samhmd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oeselian: Ren was injured and weak in their fight, though. He'd just been shot in the gut.

And no, he wasn't a real Sith so he couldn't "channel his anger and injury" into power or some nonsense. He was just fighting on a major handicap. And nothing ever suggests he was a Master Swordsman to begin with.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She is great imo.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1 said:
@aros001 said:
@echostarlord117 said:

Bull. Lol she's a horrible character and you know it.

samhmd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1 said:
@aros001 said:
@echostarlord117 said:

No more than Luke was. And if you want a REAL Star Wars sue, look at Alanna Solo.

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if you can. The people who hat her are pretty set in their opinions. Then again, Anakin caught a lot of flack during the prequels showings, now with the help of series like Clone Wars ,novelizations and time he's more of fan favorite. Maybe time might help Rey as well. But I don't ever see her shaking that Mary Sue stigma.

samhmd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if you can. The people who hat her are pretty set in their opinions. Then again, Anakin caught a lot of flack during the prequels showings, now with the help of series like Clone Wars ,novelizations and time he's more of fan favorite. Maybe time might help Rey as well. But I don't ever see her shaking that Mary Sue stigma.

The irony being that the beloved EU (which is what the Sequels were meant to be apparently) gave us at least 1 character who fits the Mary Sue thing way more than Rey: Alanna Solo.

You don't hear any complaints over her.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

@samhmd1 said:
@thatduderox said:

The irony being that the beloved EU (which is what the Sequels were meant to be apparently) gave us at least 1 character who fits the Mary Sue thing way more than Rey: Alanna Solo.

Alanna Solo is a D-list character at best who has very little book time... you don't hear any complaints about her cuz she showes up in like 5 books and only does things in 2 of them.

so what you just did was a "False Equivalency Fallacy" and its not the first time you've used that particular fallacy in this thread, i'd say you were trolling but it almost sounds like you actually believe the things you are saying

echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1 said:

It does.

This

is not an appropriate response to this

That makes no sense, dude.

There are plenty of times Batman is portrayed as a Sue and no one complains, but he's got a much longer publication history than Rey so there are plenty of times he can not be shown to be a Sue. Rey has only been around for a few years, so she doesn't have that advantage.

Lol Cool, but as it stands Rey sucks.

Also, people do complain when Batman is poorly portrayed. So many story lines and even entire iterations of the character are panned. T.V. shows like The Animated Series, comics like The Killing Joke, movies like The Dark Knight, those don't feature a "Sue Batman." In the context of this conversation, that's what matters.

Nothing suggests Ren was ever some Master Swordsman, and had no other Force Users to fight after fleeing Luke to gauge himself against.

I'm not suggesting that he was a master either, nor is it relevant that he trained against Force users. The one time Rey used the Force in their first fight was to pull the lightsaber toward her. She embarrassed him in a straight duel. But let me guess, petty criminals on Jakku were more than enough practice for that fight, huh?

She was self-taught.

She fights well with her staff because she's had to fight off other hostiles on Jakku.

I mean, we can just end this discussion right here. It's obvious that you're not bothered by total nonsense in dramas and that's fine. I care, however. I don't like lazy writing at all. Characters miraculously having skills or gleaning knowledge from nowhere at just the right time irks me and when this happens non stop throughout a story, you'll catch me leaving the theater. You can't blame me for that.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1 said:
@faradaysloth said:
@samhmd1 said:

No more than Luke was. And if you want a REAL Star Wars sue, look at Alanna Solo.

Lol we're not getting into an argument about if Luke was a good character or not, that's stupid.

And Alanna Solo is only in the novels, where I do not read them, but she might be worse than Rey who knows, however that doesn't change the fact of how Rey is a horrible Main Character and the fact of how she's a Mary Sue.

samhmd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1 said:
@thatduderox said:

Alanna Solo is a D-list character at best who has very little book time... you don't hear any complaints about her cuz she showes up in like 5 books and only does things in 2 of them.

so what you just did was a "False Equivalency Fallacy" and its not the first time you've used that particular fallacy in this thread, i'd say you were trolling but it almost sounds like you actually believe the things you are saying

But she still existed with NO complaints. If she can get away with stuff with no one complaining than Rey shouldn't be ripped into. Instead she has been. Constantly. Over every last little thing. Before The Force Awakens EVEN CAME OUT.

samhmd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1 said:
@faradaysloth said:
@samhmd1 said:

Lol we're not getting into an argument about if Luke was a good character or not, that's stupid.

And Alanna Solo is only in the novels, where I do not read them, but she might be worse than Rey who knows, however that doesn't change the fact of how Rey is a horrible Main Character and the fact of how she's a Mary Sue.

So is Wonder Woman...doesn't hurt her one bit.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samhmd1 said:
@faradaysloth said:
@samhmd1 said:
@faradaysloth said:
@samhmd1 said:

So is Wonder Woman...doesn't hurt her one bit.

This isn't about Wonder Woman, this is about Rey.

SuperHulk24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have Kylo Ren defeat her.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39 Straight-Fire  Online

People only complaint is that she's a Mary Sue, but how many characters does that apply to? Too many to count.

And yeah, I like Rey. Bite me.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Kill her