#1 Posted by TonyMartial (7842 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel that people joke about it too much but it never really gets spoken about seriously enough. You can see that all of the stones are glowing and firing at Thor. Universal? City level? Moon level? Planet level? Building level? Please post your thoughts.

No Caption Provided

#2 Posted by AlexTheBoss (15744 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering how Thanos didn’t have much time to charge and just shot a beam out, and considering Thor overpowered it easily, I will say maybe city to mountain level.

#3 Posted by DarkHoudini (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously universal.

#4 Posted by rogueshadow (28948 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by DarkHoudini (116 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Emanresu_20 (2321 posts) - - Show Bio

@alextheboss:

When was it implied the IG had to charge up to operate at full plowed. It destroyed half the Universe as quick as a snap. In fact in that give Thanos had like 3 seconds to apply more power if he could to avoid getting stabbed.

#7 Posted by ANTHP2000 (23855 posts) - - Show Bio

Not as powerful as the Stormbreaker.

#8 Posted by Helloman (26665 posts) - - Show Bio

Not powerful enough,

#9 Posted by Emperorb777 (10795 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos is an idiot.

#10 Edited by AlexTheBoss (15744 posts) - - Show Bio

@emanresu_20: He didn't destroy half the universe, he wiped out half of the life in the universe. Thor also took him by surprise and Thanos might not have been using a full power attack.

#11 Posted by Toratorn (5693 posts) - - Show Bio

Not powerful enough to bother comic mid-tiers.

#12 Posted by Zepta_Pon (1134 posts) - - Show Bio

Nowhere near as powerful as this one:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#13 Edited by Emanresu_20 (2321 posts) - - Show Bio

@alextheboss:

That’s what I meant.

Saying Thor took him by surprise is getting pretty old. You clearly see Thanos trying to push storm breaker back and he had 3 seconds to even increase his energy output if he needed to.

That and he clearly saw Thor Throw strombrraker at him. That’s not being coauthor by surprise and he had enough time to react.

EDIT: actually I just rewatched the Scene. Thanks fires his blast before Thor threw Storm breaker.

#14 Posted by Emanresu_20 (2321 posts) - - Show Bio

@zepta_pon: you realize that’s just gravity right?

#15 Posted by The_Hajduk (5489 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the director commentary confirmed that Thanos was caught very off guard in this moment.

#16 Posted by AlexTheBoss (15744 posts) - - Show Bio

@emanresu_20: Stormbringer has mystic properties to it, plus when it comes to energy attacks that is really the specialty of the power stone, so I'm not sure how much the other stones help out in an actual energy attack.

#17 Posted by StormKing1221 (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

Unquantifiable

#18 Posted by Emanresu_20 (2321 posts) - - Show Bio

@alextheboss:

The Russo’s words for the beam struggle was “yeah just look how strong it was”. Referring tonStorm Breaker. They didn’t say it was do to mystical characteristics. They just said it was able to do this because the same person who forged the gaultlet made Stormbreaker. That’s a very vague statement to go off of.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
#19 Posted by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (9214 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#20 Posted by CyberpunkCop (1919 posts) - - Show Bio

No real way to quantify it

#21 Edited by Heatforce (5490 posts) - - Show Bio

Planet lvl or higher.

And yes, I'm serious :)

#22 Posted by DammeFavour (8037 posts) - - Show Bio

It was just a beam not that it matters as stormbreaker was probably doing the same thing the gauntlet was created for. It didn't cut through the beam, it pushed it back

#23 Posted by DrPepperMan (6097 posts) - - Show Bio

If I had to take a logical guess, multi building/city block level based off scaling to Thor's lightning, but no one really knows.

#24 Posted by xZone (9532 posts) - - Show Bio

Slightely above unquantifiable. If I were to guess, I’d say mountain level, especially because I’m the commentary Joe said “Look at how powerful that axe is”, so I assume the beam was meant to be powerful

X

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#25 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (3826 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering how Thanos didn’t have much time to charge and just shot a beam out, and considering Thor overpowered it easily, I will say maybe city to mountain level.

#26 Posted by Spambot (9207 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing to understand here though with regard to the beam when trying to categorize it is that a beam attack isn't by nature going to be that high because of its size. Its more a question of what could withstand it than how destructive it could potentially be. Attacks that take out planets or things larger are generally going to be more of the aoe or explosive variety in order to accomplish that feat. A beam is just going to shoot outward as a form of heat or energy so I don't think calling it mountain, country or planetary really makes any sense.

#27 Posted by Hypnos0929 (6268 posts) - - Show Bio

planetary. Star if he charged a blast I guess

Avatar image for darthvaderrocks
#28 Posted by darthvaderrocks (1070 posts) - - Show Bio

Unquantifiable. Can't be used in battles.

#29 Edited by stumerica (107 posts) - - Show Bio

At the very least, as powerful as a Power Stone blast. It should be noted that he wasn't properly focused during this scene, so it could potentially be astronomically powerful

#30 Posted by Symbiosis89 (208 posts) - - Show Bio

I’m trying to wrap my head around how anyone could think the 6 most powerful items in the universe produce a weak beam. It’s clear what the Russo’s intended

#31 Posted by Richubs (2941 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone: Mountain level!!!

You're saying it can destroy a whole mountain?

Not a single shotfrom any of the stones was powerful enough to bust a mountain this won't even come close to it.

It wa snot very powerful since none of the individual power stones blasts were powerful and this time Thanos wasn't even doing his best considering he was taken by surprise.

#32 Posted by APEX_pretador (18889 posts) - - Show Bio

It might as well be universal, with stormbreaker having the ability to be unaffected by the infinity gems. Next film will tell us better

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#33 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (6751 posts) - - Show Bio

If you say its universal or planetary you are an idiot

#34 Posted by Skrskr (3123 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelanddcfan24: he busted the moon with 2 stones, I think you are an idiot if you think all the stones are massively weaker than just 2.

#35 Posted by Skrskr (3123 posts) - - Show Bio

@richubs: thanos broke the moon apart casually

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/mcu-thanos-is-a-legit-moon-buster-1993570/

This shows after thanos brought part of the moon down what he really did was bust it in its entirety.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#36 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (6751 posts) - - Show Bio

@skrskr: he never had a consistent powerlevel through the entire movie the beam didnt destroy anything around it nor did it effect the handle lol a planetary or universal blast wouldve caused surrounding damage

#37 Posted by Richubs (2941 posts) - - Show Bio

@skrskr: I know he did and its impressive but it was a completely different attack from a beam

Those two are not even comparable.

#38 Edited by Skrskr (3123 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelanddcfan24: or it’s called potency, something that is prevalent in all forms of fiction.

It’s okay, even though he completely destroyed a moon on screen go ahead and lowball lol

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#39 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (14262 posts) - - Show Bio

We don’t know, what we do know that wasn’t it’s full potential.

#40 Posted by Skrskr (3123 posts) - - Show Bio

@richubs: you literally said “not a single shot from the stones was even able to bust a mountain”

When thanos literally moon busted with the power stone. I don’t care about it being a beam or not, your initial statement was flat out wrong.

#41 Edited by Mr_Shazam0920 (3205 posts) - - Show Bio

Unquantifiable, but I think the Russo’s said it was just a reactionary attack by Thanos, and that since SB was made by the same guy who made the gauntlet that the attack was more effective.

Honestly we can just cut that scene to PIS. Thanos wiped out half the universe just a moment later, and it is crazy to assume SB is universal. Thor just spent half the movie trying to acquire the weapon, so he had to have a moment.

#42 Posted by King-Ragnar (3220 posts) - - Show Bio

Omniversal++++

#43 Posted by Kevd4wg (11707 posts) - - Show Bio

In all honesty it should be extremely powerful, but iirc the commentary said Stormbreaker overpowered it cuz it was made of the same thing or smth

#44 Posted by ourmanuel (8160 posts) - - Show Bio

Unquantifiable, but undoubtedly powerful. Probably at least mountain level.

As kev said, stormbreaker only pushed through because of the material it was made of. So don’t go wanking stormbreaker ya fanboys.

#45 Posted by Richubs (2941 posts) - - Show Bio

@skrskr: LOL because a shot is something that is actually shot from the gauntlet.

What he did n the moon isn't a shot.

None of his shots actually mountain busted. None of them were powerful enough. They had potential but Thanos didn't do it and if he was just ragdolled and taken by surprise no was in hell is he shooting out a mountain busting beam. It was very weak.

#46 Posted by Darkthunder (331 posts) - - Show Bio

Planet

#47 Posted by TonyMartial (7842 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by King-Ragnar (3220 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonymartial: Nah, it would one shot Heart of the Universe Thanos. Don't lowball.