How powerful are Harry Potter characters? Who would make decent battles for them?

• 72 results
Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Zetsu-San

From what I have seen of the movies and read of the books their system of magic seems like a one trick pony when it comes to combat. I am sure guys like Dumbledoor have more stuff up their sleeve, but we just didn't get to see enough of it. They seem to rely too much on Avada Cadavra so any out of universe character will either get 1 shot by it, and the ones who don't simply smash their way through the Harry Potter verse with ease. All the other spells seem to be just normal projectiles with "insert effect here".

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jonez_

100% street level. Avada Kedavra still requires casting time and proper aim.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonez_ said:

100% street level. Avada Kedavra still requires casting time and proper aim.

They seemed pretty confident they could win a war with the modern world. Avada Kedavra is definitely more than "just a gun".

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto: Sure. But you still need to aim.

I'd like to see someone tag Batman with it.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonez_: They would probably paralyze him first.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto: Still requires casting time and proper aim.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

The Defence Against the Dark Arts classes in Hogwarts were systematically sabotaged by Voldemort's curse and Dumbledore's hiring policies. So it's no wonder the dark wizards lack creativity and overuse the Unforgivable curses.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their dc is meh at best, but the hax is quite good. The problem is that most wizards are very ignorant about things from Muggles.

Seriously, Ron's father spends his entire life to study them, but his dream is to understand how planes can fly...

You know, something you can find in 30 seconds on Google.

They're those kinds of characters that could one shot high tiers, but can be beaten by a random thug with a handgun.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll post tomorrow, I've begun a solid post.

Avatar image for unusual_suspect
Unusual_Suspect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their dc is meh at best, but the hax is quite good. The problem is that most wizards are very ignorant about things from Muggles.

Seriously, Ron's father spends his entire life to study them, but his dream is to understand how planes can fly...

You know, something you can find in 30 seconds on Google.

They're those kinds of characters that could one shot high tiers, but can be beaten by a random thug with a handgun.

Pretty much this.

They're glass cannons, and ignorant enough of the world around them that they don't realize how many people there are with stones in hand.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

are harry potter characters immune to shotguns? or Scoped rifles? what about drone strikes?

I'm going to go with agent 47.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlphaQ

@thekillerklok: They have muggle repelling charms and lots of magic messes with tech.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also they're not as much a glass cannoney as you would think, considering flight lets them fly straight through buildings and walls with no damage.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Early versions of these characters might work then.

Avatar image for unusual_suspect
Unusual_Suspect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphaq said:

Also they're not as much a glass cannoney as you would think, considering flight lets them fly straight through buildings and walls with no damage.

...since when?

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Street level.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They seemed pretty confident they could win a war with the modern world. Avada Kedavra is definitely more than "just a gun".

It's worth remembering that the people who followed Voldermort were mostly purebloods or wizard born, which means they were extremely ignorant to what muggle technology was capable of. They were also wildly racist with their entire belief structure being based around the idea that wizards are superior to muggles in every way.

At any rate, wizards are solidly street level characters. The most powerful explosive spells are about small building level, but we don't know if a wizard can spam that sort of spell or not.

The main advantage they have is their cartoonish hax. Wizards can turn people into chairs with a flick of their wand. For whatever reason wizards rarely seem to use this incredible hax to their advantage in duels, preferring instead to use stun charms and projectile spells that can be blocked and dodged.

Rowling wasn't an action writer of course. It's likely she didn't put a lot of thought into the combat of her world, which is why wizards seem to have forgotten 90% of their spell repertoire whenever they entered a duel with another wizard.

Really, the Killing Curse is one of the WEAKEST spells we've seen in the series. You can get the same effect with the MUCH easier to cast Confringo and simply reduce your opponent to a bloody paste. Cinfringo can also be given a much larger destructive radius, up to at least a city street.

Strictly speaking, if your intent is to kill someone, a gun is actually a better option than the Killing Curse. Your opponent isn't going to dodge a bullet the way the Killing Curse can be dodged, and you don't have to worry about it being blocked by some armor or rebounding due to some spell you weren't aware of. Even if the first bullet isn't an instant kill your opponent won't be in a condition to keep fighting and you presumably have more shots for a follow up.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zetsu-San

@metaljimmor: I agree, I always wondered why they don't use more variety in battles or what actually makes someone like Voldemort more powerful than any of the other wizards when his spell repertoire seems identical.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unusual_suspect: In the books Snape flew through a wall if DH, after running from the professors. During the attack on the Weasley house and the Lovegood house they flew straight through them, Voldemort flew through stone when dueling Harry in DH P2, there are likely other incidents

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a good match for Harry Potter characters would be:

• Doctor Strange
  • Zatanna
  • Dormammu
  • Doctor Fate
  • Shuma-Gorath
  • The Vishanti
  • Mordru
  • Raven
  • Mephisto
  • Neron
  • Obsidian
  • Zarathos
  • Trigon
Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think of them as Black Canary or Zatanna level threats, take away the wands and there's no threat anymore just like gagging Canary or Z removes them from the battlefield.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And about them winning against the Muggles, again, they were pretty ignorant.

When Sirius escaped, they had to put on the newspaper what a gun was, because most wizards don't even know what a gun is.

I'm pretty sure I could kill one of them like:

"Hey dude, look at this thing I found."

"What's that?"

Bang, dead.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AlphaQ
mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No way. Harry Potty has that spell called Abra Kadabra which is like the ultimate trump card or something. Not even Odin would stand a chance. I think my list is fair though.

I'm inclined to say Harry Pooter from the first movie could defeat all of Marvel and DC's Skyfather and magical beings.

@jucaslucasa said:

@mysticmedivh: Most of them would solo HP verse.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

most top tier street levelers

pre-shippuden naruto characters

dawnone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

• Doctor Strange
  • Zatanna
  • Dormammu
  • Doctor Fate
  • Shuma-Gorath
  • The Vishanti
  • Mordru
  • Raven
  • Mephisto
  • Neron
  • Obsidian
  • Zarathos
  • Trigon

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zetsu-San

@alphaq: That was a very detailed write up, you should consider pasting it into your own HP respect thread.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto: Thank you. You're right, I should do something with it. I've never blogged before, but I was wondering if all blogs also have threads in General Discussion, that're the same?

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphaq said:

@zetsumoto: Thank you. You're right, I should do something with it. I've never blogged before, but I was wondering if all blogs also have threads in General Discussion, that're the same?

I don't know, but I don't see why anyone would take issue with it. You could also delete your post and replace it with a hyperlink to your respect thread.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

King_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Street level.

This. But some of their Hax are quite good. Still I'd say someone at the top of street like Spider man would stomp them and someone mid street like batman could with more then enough trouble depending on the opponent.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well i'm not entirely sure if the HP universe can stand against ANY character honestly. Because the HP characters do have powerful spells although the problem is they ALL know 3 spells.

1.The Torture Spell

2. Death Spell

3. Stun Spell(I think its the Stupify one???)

I refuse to believe that's ALL they have in there arsenal if so that's pretty lame.

My issue is with Voldy is the man doesn't even look all the poweful. Doesn't he use the SAME SPELLS as his followers??? (Maybe a bit more powerful) but still he his the Head honcho. To me the ONLY high level threat in the HP Universe is Dumbledumb LOL. WHY??? Because he was the ONLY wizard that showed skilled.(WELL to me )

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metaljimmor: the reason avada kedavra is considered such a great threat compared to other spells like the blasting spell is because it has no countercurse, and it cannot be blocked. in fact, it takes much more power to cast it than most spells.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MetalJimmor

@princearagorn1:

I know, but that's the thing. It takes a lot more power to cast and is much harder, yet it gets the same effect that just blowing someone up does.

I feel it would've been a more impressive spell if we didn't see it consistently fail by plot devices and miss everyone important than Voldermort turned it on. If Voldermort had used Fiendfyre instead of Avada Kedavra Harry would've died ten times over.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metaljimmor: I guess we are talking about two different situations - when fighting wizards, who are likely to know the countercurse for your attacks, AK will be a very good option. For ordinary situations, other spells would be as useful if not more.

And yes, that makes sense.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metaljimmor: the reason avada kedavra is considered such a great threat compared to other spells like the blasting spell is because it has no countercurse, and it cannot be blocked. in fact, it takes much more power to cast it than most spells.

Didn't Voldemort create and block it with a shield? What about barrier magic, shouldn't that be able to block it?

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Doctor Strange
  • Zatanna
  • Dormammu
  • Doctor Fate
  • Shuma-Gorath
  • The Vishanti
  • Mordru
  • Raven
  • Mephisto
  • Neron
  • Obsidian
  • Zarathos
  • Trigon
No Caption Provided

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@zetsumoto said:
@princearagorn1 said:

Didn't Voldemort create and block it with a shield? What about barrier magic, shouldn't that be able to block it?

No, he didn't. That is what makes the curse so powerful, they can't defend against it. Here's the quote from their class explaining it:

Moody swept the dead spider off the desk onto the floor.

"Not nice," he said calmly. "Not pleasant. And there's no countercurse. There's no blocking it. Only one known person has ever survived it, and he's sitting right in front of me."

Harry felt his face redden as Moody's eyes (both of them) looked into his own.

- Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire.

Keep in mind that harry's and voldemort's wands have feather of the same pheonix in their core - so disarming spell clashing with voldemort's killing curse caused priori incantatem (or wands automatically casting a projection of spells they have cast before - sort of like glitch, neither spells did what they were supposed to). So it could be considered a technical block, but it won't happen to anyone else.

Also, if someone else gives their life to protect you, you can survive it - Harry survived it because of his mother.

tsoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tsoj

@zetsumoto said:
@princearagorn1 said:

No, he didn't. That is what makes the curse so powerful, they can't defend against it. Here's the quote from their class explaining it:

Moody swept the dead spider off the desk onto the floor.

"Not nice," he said calmly. "Not pleasant. And there's no countercurse. There's no blocking it. Only one known person has ever survived it, and he's sitting right in front of me."

Harry felt his face redden as Moody's eyes (both of them) looked into his own.

- Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire.

Keep in mind that harry's and voldemort's wands have feather of the same pheonix in their core - so disarming spell clashing with voldemort's killing curse caused priori incantatem (or wands automatically casting a projection of spells they have cast before - sort of like glitch, neither spells did what they were supposed to). So it could be considered a technical block, but it won't happen to anyone else.

Also, if someone else gives their life to protect you, you can survive it - Harry survived it because of his mother.

So wait, a spell can't block AK, not even a defensive one, but physical objects can? That's kinda strange.

BTW, in what manner exactly does AK cause death again? I heard it has something to do with souls, but I'm not sure. Or is it just "because magic"?

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@princearagorn1: I'd actually say that high-level wizards could conjure objects to intercept the spells, like what Voldemort did to Dumbledore's really powerful spell in the Ministry. Barty Jr.'s statement is taken too literally IMO, he's referring to wizards of his caliber who can't use so advanced Transmutation spells in combat.

@tsoj PrinceAragorn probably remembers better than I but that soul idea comes from how an AK that bounced off baby Harry hit Voldemort, who was killed but a piece of his soul was also broken off and latched itself onto Harry, turning him into a Horcrux. It was mentioned that Voldemort's soul was very fragile due to all the Horcruxes he'd made. It kinda seems to be stretching in my opinion, since it might just be that resisting death broke Voldemort's soul, rather than the spell's effect itself working on the soul.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphaq: So in your opinion, if we were to include out of universe magic what sort of conditions would be necessary for a defensive spell to counter Avada Cadavra?

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto: Any solid object can 'counter' a projectile spell, either by bouncing it or deflecting it away, or it causes a chaotic reaction, basically output of energy. For example Dumbledore animates a statue to attack Voldemort, who hits it with a spell that bounces off, but the next time he hits the statue, since if can't be killed, it is blown into a million pieces by the force of the spell. Likewise whenever the AK hits desks or walls they burst into flame or explode. Voldemort's AK destroyed Harry's house before the start of the series, although there were other circumstances involved.

So, IMO, any 'solid' shield or barrier could bounce away or what I think of as 'bursting' (causing an explosion) the spell. That said there is an instance where Dolohov's powerful spell hits Harry's shield but some energy gets through IIRC, so it seems that a 'bleed through' effect can happen, although that might just be the shields failing rather than the spell's accomplishment.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphaq: Can Avada Cadavra kill magical creatures like dragons, ogres, etc?

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AlphaQ

@zetsumoto: It's never brought up. The Killing Curse needs a large investment of intention and meaning, which I imagine would be hard to sum up for a creature. Moody says that if a student were to tag him with an AK he likely wouldn't even get a bloody nose. It's a point of contention whether or not spells can be resisted by things like large magical monsters because of an inbuilt magical resistance or because of thick skin or sheer size/durability. I subscribe to the former because we've been told that the dragon's hide makes it heavily resistant to spells targeting it, also giants can be hurt by spells that damage the eyes rather than the skin, implying a similar situation, and it seems a lot simpler to just apply that to other monster that threaten wizards.

I would say it depends on the strength of the spell and Killing Curse, to bypass this resistance, which can be done. I would say someone like Voldemort would have good odds at one-shotting anything in the HPverse, or at least the things he'll likely encounter. Movie version would obliterate anything for sure IMO, based on the shield feat.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Zetsu-San

@alphaq: Ah. The Tokyo Ravens trio I mentioned: One can invoke the strength of an ogre, another can summon a dragon (Who she, later in the story, has a horcrux-like relationship with), and the third has a living cloak that offers him magical protect and can fight offensively while he's casting spells. I was wondering if they would be immune to killing curse from Death Eaters.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tsoj: @alphaq:Apologies for the late response. As far as I know, the mechanism of how avada kedavra works has never been explained. We only know victims are not physically harmed - something which confused muggle police. Theoretically it could have something to do with souls, because:

1. When voldemort was hit by the curse he used on baby Harry - a part of his soul was blasted apart and the rest fled the house.

“Tell him what?”

Dumbledore took a deep breath and closed his eyes.

Tell him that on the night Lord Voldemort tried to kill him, when Lily cast her own life between them as a shield, the Killing Curse rebounded upon Lord Voldemort, and a fragment of Voldemort’s soul was blasted apart from the whole, and latched itself onto the only living soul left in that collapsing building.

Chapter: Prince's tale

Harry Potter and the deathly Hallows

2. When Harry gave himself up to stop the war, voldemort's spell destroyed the fraction of soul that was attached to harry.

“I let him kill me,” said Harry. “Didn’t I?”

“You did,” said Dumbledore, nodding. “Go on!”

“So the part of his soul that was in me . . .”

Dumbledore nodded still more enthusiastically, urging Harry onward, a broad smile of encouragement on his face.

“. . . has it gone?”

“Oh yes!” said Dumbledore. “Yes, he destroyed it. Your soul is whole, and completely your own, Harry.”

Chapter: King's Cross

Harry Potter and the deathly Hallows

So it either splits the soul, removes it from body, or destroys it.

Now:

Splitting of soul was done by an act of murder, not due to the curse itself.

"Well," said Slughorn uncomfortably, "you must understand that the soul is supposed to remain intact and whole. Splitting n it I an act of violation, it is against nature."

"But how do you do it?"

"By an act of evil — the supreme act of evil. By commiting murder. Killing rips the soul apart. The wizard intent upon creating a Horcrux would use the damage to his advantage: He would encase the torn portion —"

- Chapter: Horcruxes

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

Dumbledore confirms it later as well.

Now, if it was supposed to destroy the soul, voldemort's soul should have been destroyed instead of being forced away. (While you could say his soul was protected by the horcruxes, it seems less like they act more as a loophole than an actual shield on your soul and such)

On the other hand, the part that was in Harry's body would have been destroyed if it was simply removed from the container as well, which would explain this all much better:

“Look, if I picked up a sword right now, Ron, and ran you through with it, I wouldn’t damage your soul at all.”

“Which would be a real comfort to me, I’m sure,” said Ron. Harry laughed.

“It should be, actually! But my point is that whatever happens to your body, your soul will survive, untouched,” said Hermione.

“But it’s the other way round with a Horcrux. The fragment of soul inside it depends on its container, its enchanted body, for survival. It can’t exist without it.”

-Chapter: The Ghoul in Pajama's.

Harry Potter and the deathly Hallows.

So if one were to theorize how it works.. it'd be by removing the victim's soul. Not confirmed anywhere, though.

Also - the idea that the curse is absolutely unblockable is false to begin with - considering it is not strong enough to break through sacrificial protection. So powerful magical defense should be able to block it - something like eragon's wards, for example. Or simply ducking or putting a solid object between you and the curse should be enough as well.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@princearagorn1: So a character who has multiple souls would require multiple Avada Cadavra shots to die?

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto: I'd say so. Keep in mind it is not confirmed anywhere.