solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Edited By solar_nerd

I love comic books.

I've been reading them since I was eight years old, and still am today. I love comics because they're like their own universe, showing us a world with heroes and villains and all sorts of different things. But something, for the past two years, has been working its way through the comic-book industry and hurting it from the inside out. That something is political correctness. Here's how it's been ruining comics.

Forced diversity

No Caption Provided

Now, I usually like diversity in movies, comics and such. I think it's cool to have characters of different races or the opposite gender. A good example of a comic series with diversity is the early-70s "X-Men" revival. That series had tons of great, diverse characters. However, the way comic books have been trying to do diversity is ruining it. Instead of actually developing original heroes of different races, religions, etc. they've been just throwing in random characters, and in some cases killing off a major character and attempting to replace them with a woman or person of color. The people doing this clearly have no respect for the reader's intelligence.

An overwhelming liberal/feminist/elitist agenda

No Caption Provided

(And yes, that is an actual panel from an actual comic.)

Seriously, this is getting overwhelming. I mean, just look at Captain Marvel right now, okay? That haircut practically screams "Feminazi", and I bet I'd get my ass kicked if I disagreed with her on anything. But that's not even it. In tons of comics, I see tons of crap such as college-aged heroes defending their "safe-space" or Sam Wilson's Captain America punching old Steve Rogers in the same way Steve himself punched Hitler on the cover of that iconic comic book. In what way is that okay? It's not! Comic books have absorbed the ultra-leftist agenda of Hollywood and incorporated that into their stories in a way that just isn't cool at all. Social commentary, like diversity, can be good, but when it's completely shoved in our faces like a turd pie, it's cringeworthy to the max.

Story and plot take a backseat to sending a "message"

No Caption Provided

This is the same problem I mentioned earlier. Comics are supposed to tell a story and entertain us, but that's hard when half the comics around have an overwhelming political agenda. I couldn't care less what some writer thinks about politics; if he wants to share it, he should use Facebook. But putting it in a comic is basically unfair to anyone who disagrees with him.

What do you think? Comment!

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

lol

solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol

IKR, the safe space guy is the ultimate beta-male.

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Being Politically Correct is what ruined Marvel.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Jgames

Do not see the problem with the last panel, but somewhat agree. I mean I do think when it comes to diversity and representation, lots of comic book actually do a decent job. Its just marvel recently felt like a guy in their thirties trying to sound like a woke teenager and its embarrasing. I do not mind messages, but it has to be told and presented well.

Also I personally would not mind characterr getting replace, if the old character actually stay dead which they never do. But I do like the idea of a sidekick taking over the role if done well. But it seem lots of them aside for maybe X-23 and Black Spiderman have been done poorly.

I mean do not get me wrong, some of the "anti-sjw" complaint have been equally annoying. Being overuse to justify anything they hate. Oh Gwenpool is obviously SJW because female deadpool, even though it does not replace Deadpool and is not all that similar to deadpool. Oh Squirrel Girl SJW she is not draw sexy. X-23 is faster and more precise than Wolverine, "SJW". Ugh.

solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames said:

Do not see the problem with the last panel, but somewhat agree. I mean I do think when it comes to diversity and representation, lots of comic book actually do a decent job. Its just marvel recently felt like a guy in their thirties trying to sound like a woke teenager and its embarrasing. I do not mind messages, but it has to be told and presented well.

Also I personally would not mind characterr getting replace, if the old character actually stay dead which they never do. But I do like the idea of a sidekick taking over the role if done well. But it seem lots of them aside for maybe X-23 and Black Spiderman have been doing.

I mean do not get me wrong, some of the "anti-sjw" complaint have been equally annoying. Being overuse to justify anything they hate. Oh Gwenpool is obviously SJW because female deadpool, even though it does not replace Deadpool and is not all that similar to deadpool. Oh Squirrel Girl SJW she is not draw sexy. X-23 is faster and more precise than Wolverine, "SJW". Ugh.

I agree.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When will people learn that the quality of the character comes first, their race/sex/sexuality preference/religion/etc. comes never, since you shouldn’t be basing a character off of that.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

When will people learn that the quality of the character comes first, their race/sex/sexuality preference/religion/etc. comes never, since you shouldn’t be basing a character off of that.

Let's hope SJW agenda will end up on the dustbin of history, next to McCarthyism.

Mister_Surreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lock this.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aaron's turned Thor into a beta male as well.

Lil_Remains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Second one is obvious satire.

Lil_Remains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Also:

Devilmenworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames said:

Also I personally would not mind characterr getting replace, if the old character actually stay dead which they never do. But I do like the idea of a sidekick taking over the role if done well. But it seem lots of them aside for maybe X-23 and Black Spiderman have been doing.

I agree with both of these points as well as the OP's original response. I would add that that what makes PC worse for comics is when they just randomly change a character or backstory to be politically correct or leftist or "hip" For example. Iceman/Bobby has always been a ladies man, but then all of a sudden he has been gay all of these decades when evidence points otherwise. Out of nowhere, a 16 year old black teenager named RiRi is suddenly smarter than Tony Stark and the new Iron Man. Thor becomes unworthy and Jane becomes Thor when Thor is his name not a title. Capt. Marvel is the strongest MCU character out of nowhere.

For the most part people don't have a diversity in comics, it the way that it is handed that causes the uproar. When a character with decades of history is replaced by a "new current diverse" character, that is when the problem comes into play.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's a big issue at all. I'm not even close to politically correct, nor do i waste my time championing for it, but I don't quite understand how it bothers people so much. The people who are being offended by this want to be offended, they're seeking out recourse.

If it's an issue, people who buy less of it and eventually it'll change back. But if it's still selling, that means somebody out there likes it. It's really that simple.

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think it's a big issue at all. I'm not even close to politically correct, nor do i waste my time championing for it, but I don't quite understand how it bothers people so much. The people who are being offended by this want to be offended, they're seeking out recourse.

If it's an issue, people who buy less of it and eventually it'll change back. But if it's still selling, that means somebody out there likes it. It's really that simple.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow, one of the biggest NPC on the site posting an NPC meme, shocking.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DeathandGrim

Sooooo Political Correctness did not kill comic books. The ham handed implementation of massive status quo changes damaged the rep of Marvel Comics but not all comics, but I mean... how is that the fault of "Political Correctness?".

Comics have always strived toward being politically correct in every era as the society they're made in did the same. And yes back then people moo'd about it too. ?

Itachus17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Itachus17

Lmao this thread is hilarious, the only thing ruining comic books is always just bad writing regardless if far-left, far-right or from advocates of green alien life matters.

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GermanX

Both right-wing and left-wing extremism from writers who tried putting their ideals in their comic book stories usually harms the material.

Probably from what you saw of recent Marvel, and as well of Frank Miller's right-wing ideals in his critically reviled recent works.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vertigo-

Personally, I see shitty writing being the bigger problem, rather then political correctness. Jason Aaron's recent writing (Thor fans know what I'm talking about) is a prime example of this

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, there was a time when the Comics Code Era messed with the comic book industry. IMO, it's probably presenting expectations that is forced on everyone to deal with, and shitty writing/art.

I blame forced expectations and presentations.

Combo-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I think you're mostly right. but I would say that underwhelming marketing and a lack of inspired ideas are probably bigger reasons why comics aren't what they used to be. that and the air of deluded geek chic smugness that the medium has been marinating in for the last ten plus years.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

>Makes dozens of posts suggesting how Falcon, Amadeus Cho, and several other characters that replaced heroes in the comics for the sole reason of political correctness should replace characters like Iron Man and Captain America

>Also makes posts on how political correctness is ruining comics.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cringe.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That second page tho.

thebuckaronatr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sooooo Political Correctness did not kill comic books. The ham handed implementation of massive status quo changes damaged the rep of Marvel Comics but not all comics, but I mean... how is that the fault of "Political Correctness?".

Comics have always strived toward being politically correct in every era as the society they're made in did the same. And yes back then people moo'd about it too. ?

I second that.

Y2G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@havenless: People were buying less. Hence why they dropped it to an extent and then blamed fans for not being accepting.

https://cosmicbook.news/marvel-comics-blames-fans-low-sales-not-themselves

Laiks Stake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Globalism and diversity ruined it.

Vulkanian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

I'm not sure how that first scan with the Bombshells is supposed to prove your point and they are actually intended to be parodies if the radical left extremists.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's ruining a lot of stuff tbh. Even non-comic book shtuff. I'm personally all for all the stuff mentioned in the OP, but it's being crammed into way too much shtuff.

minorincon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You complained about Captain Marvel's haircut, and I don't think you understand the irony.

Punisher, Daredevil, Defenders, Doctor Strange, Moon Knight, Sentry, and various other titles from Marvel have been incredible for the last 3 years, but you're harping on an issue like a whiny pos because why? Nothing is ruining comics, Marvel is not being taken over by politics or PC culture. Some of the titles have adapted to match fan bases, but because of whiny people like you who complain when the white characters die, then complain that they don't stay dead, characters who were "replaced" are back in their own books. So grow up you annoying child, you've gotten your way, and still won't stop b****ing.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Comics are a lot more fun when you don't hold strong opinions on the books you aren't reading. Fresh Start has pretty much restored the old legacies (just like everyone expected it to) over six months ago.

x_Zayd_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames said:

@faradaysloth said:

I agree with both of these points as well as the OP's original response. I would add that that what makes PC worse for comics is when they just randomly change a character or backstory to be politically correct or leftist or "hip" For example. Iceman/Bobby has always been a ladies man, but then all of a sudden he has been gay all of these decades when evidence points otherwise. Out of nowhere, a 16 year old black teenager named RiRi is suddenly SMARTER than Tony Stark and the new Iron Man. Thor becomes unworthy and Jane becomes Thor when Thor is his name not a title. Capt. Marvel is the strongest MCU character out of nowhere.

For the most part people don't have a diversity in comics, it the way that it is handed that causes the uproar. When a character with decades of history is replaced by a "new current diverse" character, that is when the problem comes into play.

How is she smarter than Tony Stark when Marvel itself states Tony Stark is the 3rd most smartest superhero in Marvel Universe ?

On the other hand, Riri is ranked 7th by Marvel

Source : https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/10-smartest-super-heroes

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

You are aware that the scan with the students is clearly meant to show that their are nutcases on the left and not just the right?

Au_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like the only point that matters here is the last one mentioned in the OP. Once the message and the plot exist at each other’s detriment then you end up with things like ANAD Marvel rather than Black Panther.

The reason why this happens is largely because of profit and a misunderstanding of diversity’s role in the first place. If a characters role is to just be diverse then that character will be one-dimensional and boring compared to others. Ones identity should inform a character not define it

Devilmenworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Devilmenworks
mtuske

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has and and it's even in the MCU. We have a black lesbian King of Asgard and her soon to be overpowered female Queen who don't need no man. I feel like I'll wake up one day and Carrot Top will be cast as leader of Wakanda.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By byondeon

How is it ruining comics? Political correctness isn't a problem with comics, considering that comics don't give a s**t about it.

Also, forced diversity? I hate to ruin comics for you even more, but they have ALWAYS been diverse and ALWAYS tackled social and political issues and the struggle minority people go through for ALL of comic books since the 40's.

They just add a bit more diversity because the planet isn't just the west. In fact, White people are a minority compared to the world population. LGBTQ+ community is roughly 10% of the earth's population and everyone that live in the closet it would be at least 5%+ more of the earth's population is part of the LGBTQ+ community.

Point is, Inclusion =/= forced diversity.

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, and just a heads up, the only agenda the comic book companies care about is MONEY. The reason comic runs get's canceled is because they don't earn money from them.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 krisbishop  Moderator

It's ruining almost the entire media industry, not just comic books.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How tho. They don't earn money from a comic book, they cancel it and remake it later on with a slight difference to see if it sells. All about that money.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, and comics and movies has always been for diversity since the 60's something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e09a6b06793e
deactivated-5e09a6b06793e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Times change. You can grow up & adapt, or act like it's still the 1950's.

x_Zayd_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By x_Zayd_x

@devilmenworks: Don't believe anything from media news websites unless its officially from Marvel

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Arthur_Morgan

@benjamin_poindexter: this is the standard im already lost response.

thanks to ppl like you they get away with alot of things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3d87c405c1a
deactivated-5d3d87c405c1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ve got to respect the balls on you OP, you posted this on a site filled with the people you (and I) hate. Politically correct people are the weakest, most pathetic people in the entire human race, they need to grow a backbone instead of pushing this crap so hard, it’s getting old seriously.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say there are two types of political correctness issues in comics.

- The first kind is the censorship-type of political correcteness

Censorship of words or portrayals that are deemed offensive or insulting to certain demographics.

This could lead to some half-hearted and unrealistic portrayals, particularly in stories where "offensiveness" is necessary to the context.

(eg: a depiction of colonial era slavery where a slave owner refrains from using offensive and insulting language while they brutally whip a slave)

- The second kind is the preachy-type of political correctness

The type of political correctness that actively demonize politically incorrectness.

This could lead to stories that are more like fourth wall political propaganda

(eg: A story where a character is dealing with a planetary-level existential threat but the said character are more preoccupied with preaching islamic tolerance or LGBT rights)