How much effort do you put into keeping comics in mint condition?

_jackbauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By _jackbauer

Hi, so I think I'm "doing it wrong", and would love some feedback.

For one reason or another, I've got it stuck in my head that every comic book I buy needs to be in near-mint condition (and that I need to maintain that condition). It's almost become borderline OCD for me: I am apprehensive about reading books more than once (even though I really want to), I try to move my hands often while holding/reading a comic to avoid oily-residue from marking/staining my book, and I read most of my comics inside a heavy text book to try and avoid damage to the spine.

Am I going too far? I don't envision myself selling my collection in the future, but I am fairly certain my obsession with keeping comics in near-mint condition is attached to the worth or value of any given book. Heck, I'd be thrilled if 40-50 years from now one of my books is worth a few thousand dollars, but I highly doubt any of the books I have will ever be worth that much. In other words, I think the lengths to which I go to maintain the condition of my books is irrational.

How do you handle your comic books? Am I OCD?

If comic books came with free digital copies, I can all but guarantee I would read the book itself once, slap it in a plastic, and read the digital version for 2nd, 3rd, or 4th readings.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Daveyo520

I don't put much.

0xymoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By 0xymoron

I put a lot of effort into making sure my comics are in mint condition (due to the fact that I have a mild case of OCD). I have a small plastic bin with dividers that have the letters A-Z, and I keep the comics alphabetized, and each comics is kept in protective plastic covering. Lol, maybe my way is a little extreme.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Hazlenaut

I keep them in the plastic when I'm done with them

Usual Suspect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Usual Suspect

Very little. I read comics because I enjoy them. If they get destroyed so be it. I've already gained the experience of reading the book.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By turoksonofstone

Sleeve em' as I acquire em'.

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By super_psycho

none

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By catfightfan

I hate to admit it, but I have spent thousands of dollars on mylar bags to protect my comics, even though my collection is made up of inexpensive comics.

Avatar image for christopherwalken
christopherwalken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not much. Other than a handful of semi-valuable items, the rest I pretty much allow to rot.

Well, not rot, but I do not take particularly good care of it.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

I tend to only bag certain older comics. I'm pretty sure I have a mild case of OCD so I do put some effort in to protecting older issues but I realize that anything I ever read will never be NM when I'm done with it.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By BatteredArmor

almost none i can literaly go find 4 or 5 on my floor right now......wait a second.......Okay i know it sound like i'm joking but i just found

RedRobin #17, Kick A$$ 2 #3, and Kick A$$ 2 #4 on my floor just now