Posted by Trololololol (744 posts) 1 month, 9 days ago

Poll: How much chance do you think Endgame has of surpassing Avatar in boxoffice ? (53 votes)

0% 2%
1-20% 9%
21-40% 8%
41-60% 17%
61-80% 23%
81-99% 21%
100% 21%

As most of us might know , Avengers Endgame is now the second highest grossing movie of all time having just beaten Titanic . The Avatar is like 500M away . Do you think Avengers 4 can shatter the record of that movie ? What chance of success would you give it ?

#1 Edited by BOC (1761 posts) - - Show Bio

Inflation adjusted, it probably won't surpass Avatar or Gone with the Wind. Technically it probably won't surpass Titanic inflation adjusted but Titanic was released like three times. It did surpass Titanic's original box office. Without inflation adjusted I still don't believe Endgame will (or should) surpass Avatar. I loved the movie but I do think it could have been better.

OT: Probably 1-20 or 21-40

#2 Posted by Trololololol (744 posts) - - Show Bio

@boc: Well , no movie is perfect , and every movie could have been better. I don't think that's a valid argument .

#3 Posted by BOC (1761 posts) - - Show Bio

@boc: Well , no movie is perfect , and every movie could have been better. I don't think that's a valid argument .

Oh, of course. I wasn't using that argument to say Endgame doesn't deserve the number one spot, as Avatar also could have been better. That was my way of saying that, objectively speaking, I don't think it's quality is above that of Avatar. I said "could have been better" to imply that.

#4 Edited by Jgames (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

It has a chance to get close to it and surpass it later on rereleased in theaters. That what I am guessing is the most likely scenario, it could also just blow last expectation once again and surpass avatar.

The problem is the fact that movies like detective pikachu, and godzilla might prevent it from passing Avatar. As people only have so much money and time to spend and might watch detective pikachu instead of rewatching Endgame.

#5 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (1227 posts) - - Show Bio

@jgames: Don't forget John Wick and Aladdin, those films will also get big shares this month.

#6 Posted by Amcu (17044 posts) - - Show Bio

Its on track to beat it right now but it should be close. I'd give it a 60% chance.

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
#7 Posted by war of light_2814 (2829 posts) - - Show Bio

Somewhat greater than 50%.

#8 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36891 posts) - - Show Bio

Y do people bring up inflation adjusted? Duh no movie could ever possibly pass Gone with the Wind. It played for years in theaters and there were a lot less movies and entertainment options back then. It’s much more impressive when movies make big money in the modern era because u can watch movies at home.

#9 Posted by BOC (1761 posts) - - Show Bio

Y do people bring up inflation adjusted? Duh no movie could ever possibly pass Gone with the Wind. It played for years in theaters and there were a lot less movies and entertainment options back then. It’s much more impressive when movies make big money in the modern era because u can watch movies at home.

That's true. But it clearly does have an affect and should be taken into consideration. A less percentage of people go to the theaters today, but there is also a larger population today. That kind of evens out. Gone with the Wind did have the advantage of being in the theater longer however. But for more recent movies like Avatar, ticket pricing is an advantage that newer movies have.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#10 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22876 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be surprised if it didn't.

#11 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36891 posts) - - Show Bio

@boc: Avatar is the most impressive. Gone with the wind has had several rereleases it’s not impressive. The less people argument doesn’t matter. Those same people would have to go back to the theater again if they wanted to see their favorite film. Home video didn’t become common until what the 70s or even 80s?

This movie was released in 39. Any movie released in a post blockbuster era means that the person seeing the film knows they can eventually just watch it again at home.

#12 Posted by BOC (1761 posts) - - Show Bio

@mickey-mouse: Fair enough.

#13 Posted by Trololololol (744 posts) - - Show Bio

Less than 500M to go .

#14 Posted by Eobard21 (6390 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot

#15 Posted by Trololololol (744 posts) - - Show Bio

300M more to go .

#16 Posted by modernww2fare (7187 posts) - - Show Bio

It will

#17 Posted by Killermovies (1123 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt it

#18 Edited by mrmonster (15916 posts) - - Show Bio

I think what'll really seal the deal is next weekend. If it does beat Avatar, it will be by next Monday. If it doesn't, then Aladdin and Godzilla will stop it just short.

#19 Edited by m2k (604 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking at probably 130 dom/170 os to go. Seems plenty doable. John Wick 3 being R-rated shouldn't affect it too bad next weekend. Gonna be close. We'll see!

The good news is if it appears to be short by 5-10 million in the final weeks, then it's beating Avatar for sure. Disney gonna pull out all the tricks to get it over the hump.

#20 Posted by APEX_pretador (21292 posts) - - Show Bio

12%

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
#21 Posted by ITouchedTheBoat (3428 posts) - - Show Bio

not a question of 'if' it's a question of 'when'

#22 Posted by HereForOneShot (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers Endgame only grossed US$290+ million globally for the entire 3rd week. That was a very sharp drop from the 2nd week's US$900+ million... This drop is even sharper than my conservative estimate for the 3rd week. Not good!

I still think it can outgross Avatar, but barely by a few to tens of millions if it does.

Whether it does will depend on the 4th week performance. If it drops tremendously again, outgrossing Avatar will be unlikely.

#23 Posted by EmmaFrostXmen (3072 posts) - - Show Bio

It’s projected to pass it today

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#24 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9108 posts) - - Show Bio

Lmfao people still doubting it.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#25 Posted by IndomitableRegal (16518 posts) - - Show Bio

It's only been out for a bit more than 2 weeks. I'd say it has a pretty high chance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d07416730d08
#26 Posted by deactivated-5d07416730d08 (2261 posts) - - Show Bio

97.32%

#27 Posted by HereForOneShot (174 posts) - - Show Bio

It’s projected to pass it today

You mean US Box Office? Yeah. But I believe the poll was talking about International box office. This is still in question given the massive drop in the third week although the chances are still good.

#28 Posted by Supermanthor (21278 posts) - - Show Bio

60%