How fast is DCEU Supermans combat speed?

• 93 results
Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Faster than CW Flash but slower than CW Oliver

OOCMikeyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@ilikecoffee said:
@from_beyond said:

Does anyone have accurate estimation on how fast DCEU Superman's combat speed/reaction time is? Wonder Women is comfortably above the speed of sound as she easily stopped multiple bullets. Considering that even she is almost a statue to Superman, how fast he really is?

There's no such thing as "combat speed." This was something created by some comic fans for no good reason other than to try to de-power characters like Superman. Do people really believe Superman is only fast when he's running or flying? Or that his full speed is only when he's running or flying? Superman's power isn't super sprinting, or super-fast-flying. It's SUPER SPEED. He can move quickly, period. That goes for hand-to-hand, sprinting, etc. Anything involving the body.

I'm sorry but Superman is faster than Wonder Woman. Deal.

I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR AGES.

The idea of combat speed is utterly ridiculous.

If you can move at a certain speed, it necessitates that you be able to react at those speeds, or else you'd pretty much fly into buildings in mountains whenever you move.

If anything, you're combat speed should be HIGHER than your travel speed, as most humans can only run like 15 miles per hour max, but can react to things coming at them at 30 mph and throw punches at 20 mph.

Who is faster, Usain Bolt or Bruce Lee?

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

@oocmikeyy said:
@petey_is_spidey said:
@ilikecoffee said:
@from_beyond said:

Does anyone have accurate estimation on how fast DCEU Superman's combat speed/reaction time is? Wonder Women is comfortably above the speed of sound as she easily stopped multiple bullets. Considering that even she is almost a statue to Superman, how fast he really is?

There's no such thing as "combat speed." This was something created by some comic fans for no good reason other than to try to de-power characters like Superman. Do people really believe Superman is only fast when he's running or flying? Or that his full speed is only when he's running or flying? Superman's power isn't super sprinting, or super-fast-flying. It's SUPER SPEED. He can move quickly, period. That goes for hand-to-hand, sprinting, etc. Anything involving the body.

If you can move at a certain speed, it necessitates that you be able to react at those speeds, or else you'd pretty much fly into buildings in mountains whenever you move.

If anything, you're combat speed should be HIGHER than your travel speed, as most humans can only run like 15 miles per hour max, but can react to things coming at them at 30 mph and throw punches at 20 mph.

Both of their reaction and combat speeds are faster than they're travel speed, if that's what you're getting at.

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should be around hypersonic in combat speed. Wonder Woman who multi bullet timed in the movie, and was able to see bullies moving in slow motion was literally frozen in comparison to them. She wasn’t even able to perceive them.

OOCMikeyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oocmikeyy said:
@petey_is_spidey said:
@ilikecoffee said:
@from_beyond said:

Both of their reaction and combat speeds are faster than they're travel speed, if that's what you're getting at.

You did not answer the question, and we both know why. Bruce Lee strikes and blocks faster than Bolt, who runs really fast. Period.

jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@oocmikeyy: The real Bruce Lee or the fan made one that can beat anybody? Usain is faster

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey said:
@oocmikeyy said:
@petey_is_spidey said:
@ilikecoffee said:
@from_beyond said:

You did not answer the question, and we both know why. Bruce Lee strikes and blocks faster than Bolt, who runs really fast. Period.

I did not answer your question because your question had nothing to do with the point I was trying to make, which is that combat/reaction speed is faster than travel speed.

Ilikecoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Ilikecoffee

@mrnoital:

Super speed encompasses all of Superman's movements and his reaction time, not just flying and sprinting. That's what I meant by there is no such thing as "combat speed." Combat speed is used by some people to limit what is meant by Superman's super speed. This allows people to argue ridiculous things like, "Well, sure, Superman is faster than Wonder Woman... BUT SHE CAN ATTACK AND DEFEND FASTER!"

OOCMikeyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashugan: The dead Bruce Lee. And yes, Bolt runs faster.

Bolt can outrun any person I know.

OOCMikeyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oocmikeyy said:
@petey_is_spidey said:
@oocmikeyy said:
@petey_is_spidey said:
@ilikecoffee said:
@from_beyond said:

I did not answer your question because your question had nothing to do with the point I was trying to make, which is that combat/reaction speed is faster than travel speed.

lmfao. I asked a simple question and still refuse to answer it. Good day sir.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oocmikeyy: Because, again, your question has nothing to do with what I was talking about, so why answer?

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who came up with this idea of "combat speed" anyway?

Ilikecoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Ilikecoffee

@petey_is_spidey:

It comes from the idea that somebody can have fast reflexes, punch quickly, dodge quickly, etc., but that doesn't necessarily mean they'd be a fast sprinter.

The problem though is that Superman's power isn't super fast, super running, or super-fast-flying. It's super speed and it encompasses all physical movement and reaction time.

The aim with "combat speed" is to try to limit Superman's power of super speed to merely "fast runner/flyer" so favorable argument for Wonder Woman beating Supes could be made.

OOCMikeyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oocmikeyy: Because, again, your question has nothing to do with what I was talking about, so why answer? Have a good day sir

@petey_is_spidey:

It comes from the idea that somebody can have fast reflexes, punch quickly, dodge quickly, etc., but that doesn't necessarily mean they'd be a fast sprinter.

The problem though is that Superman's power isn't super fast, super running, or super-fast-flying. It's super speed and it encompasses all physical movement and reaction time.

The aim with "combat speed" is to try to limit Superman's power of super speed to merely "fast runner/flyer" so favorable argument for Wonder Woman beating Supes could be made.

No, the entire thread is centered around "If WW can literally chase down and block bullets, and superman is WAY faster than her, how fast is he"

It has nothing to do with WW being faster than Supes "In combat". I honestly do not even know where you could have misinterpreted it. The OP is straight forward.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who came up with this idea of "combat speed" anyway?

Battle forum dudes.

Its a simplistic system that separates speed relating combat to speed relating travel. Because writers kind of take the logic out of physics, so why shouldn't we?

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess he's a bit slower than lightning.

RookyNubee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@royal_warrior said:

Low Mach levels could be higher

Wonder Women is above Mach 1 level. She was a statue to him. How much speed difference is required for that to happen?

Superman sees and can move at super high speed but he at his core is an alien who who trained on a farm and he is not a true speedster like Flash, he is not a martial artist and not a gymnast or ninja athlete, he has most straightly line speed and throws haymakers...Wonder Woman is a natural fighter her natural movement and muscle memory allows her to fight against things and people who might be much faster than her

he and other krypton based characters like 'doomsday' also may have some kind of weakness or vulnerability to magic

its reactions reflexes vs bullrushing with haymakers and straight line speed....its like Mike Tyson hand movements, body speed vs some cyborg like Olympic Bekele running dude, from Ethiopia/Kenya...can Tyson run as fast as these gold medal olympic guys, No friggin way...could he 'catch' them in a boxing ring...that's easy for a boxer

let Batman explain it

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11118/111189484/4218789-7860206961-12465.jpg

RookyNubee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can move at a certain speed, it necessitates that you be able to react at those speeds, or else you'd pretty much fly into buildings and mountains whenever you move.

wrong again

any old goat can drive a sports car, even a mentally handicap...most people can also be trained to fly high speed aircraft

it does not mean your reactions are hundreds of miles per hour, hundreds of kilometer in a second

now try the simple falling paper test, the ruler drop test for reactions...most humans have upper limits for reactions, with training these reactions can be improved on

https://78.media.tumblr.com/b5f8004af7a75ea26d08d1fd790965c1/tumblr_ops8zeP2R51w8i449o1_500.jpg

https://www.scientificamerican.com/sciam/cache/file/9ACDD586-1D46-483D-B2C2A894771A08F2.jpg?w=590&h=393&0D5B94B1-3847-4CE9-9A11F7C268DA24E3

Wonder Woman's reaction feats encompass her entire body, moving , ducking, kicking , blocking bullets, reflecting shots, turning, parry with her weapons, turning, catching, blocking and counter attacking

Superman mostly bullrushed in straight lines and threw haymakers

Transformaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oocmikeyy: actually..bolt retired this year when he lost in this year's Track & fields championship..Justin gatlin beat him..and bolt currently has a pulled hamstring

from_beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey said:

If you can move at a certain speed, it necessitates that you be able to react at those speeds, or else you'd pretty much fly into buildings and mountains whenever you move.

wrong again

any old goat can drive a sports car, even a mentally handicap...most people can also be trained to fly high speed aircraft

it does not mean your reactions are hundreds of miles per hour, hundreds of kilometer in a second

now try the simple falling paper test, the ruler drop test for reactions...most humans have upper limits for reactions, with training these reactions can be improved on

Wonder Woman's reaction feats encompass her entire body, moving , ducking, kicking , blocking bullets, reflecting shots, turning, parry with her weapons, turning, catching, blocking and counter attacking

Superman mostly bullrushed in straight lines and threw haymakers

Sitting in a car or aircraft doesn't mean you yourself are moving at that speed. You are still at rest. Any individual capable of running at hundreds of miles an hour will also be able to react to things at significantly high speed.

RookyNubee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By RookyNubee

@oocmikeyy: actually..bolt retired this year when he lost in this year's Track & fields championship..Justin gatlin beat him..and bolt currently has a pulled hamstring

here's the scene

watch it before its pulled

Loading Video...

the Flash is surprised, shocked Superman can observe him but still Flash has clearly much faster reactions, the Flash is one of the worst fighters the whole movie, bumbling, awkward, like a klutz, very dorky and fumbling but he is clearly much quicker and this is while he is on the back foot trying to re-balance himself. I would say Flash is not maybe twice as fast but maybe 40% to 50% faster, each time Superman throws a punch his arms seem to move like they are underwater, almost restrained and trapped in liquid while Flash is moving at normal super-speeds....he is just clumsy and a terrible fighter that's all that is wrong with Flash

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@mrnoital:

Super speed encompasses all of Superman's movements and his reaction time, not just flying and sprinting. That's what I meant by there is no such thing as "combat speed." Combat speed is used by some people to limit what is meant by Superman's super speed. This allows people to argue ridiculous things like, "Well, sure, Superman is faster than Wonder Woman... BUT SHE CAN ATTACK AND DEFEND FASTER!"

........here, I hope this helps you understand

Avatar image for deactivated-61e3068763b41
deactivated-61e3068763b41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Faster than 616 Slowdinson

this joke will forever be funny

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ilikecoffee: onay, you can deny the facts all you want, but Diana can and has beaten Kryptonians in the past

and Diana doesn't say her staining makes her faster, its her muscle memory that allows her to react faster while Superman has to think

you can make claims using your own logic, but that goes directly against the comics and has no bearing on the actuality of the characters

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He is pretty fast. Wonder Woman is fast enough to push ppl out of bullet an block them at close range. Superman stop her from a distance before she could use her bracelet an she is not slow.

Ilikecoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Ilikecoffee

@mrnoital:

@mrnoital said:

@ilikecoffee: onay, you can deny the facts all you want, but Diana can and has beaten Kryptonians in the past

and Diana doesn't say her staining makes her faster, its her muscle memory that allows her to react faster while Superman has to think

you can make claims using your own logic, but that goes directly against the comics and has no bearing on the actuality of the characters

You can find a panel of any character getting the best of or claiming they're better than any other character in comics. That's how comics are. And your panel is just Diana arguing and claiming she's faster because of her training. There isn't any actual evidence. Kal doesn't agree with her, did you miss that part? Why would you take Diana's word over Kal's? Did you bother to ask yourself why Kal doesn't agree? Evidently, Kal knows something that Wonder Woman doesn't; and it probably has something to do with him holding back. If Superman sparred Wonder Woman and truly felt that she was faster, do you think he'd lie and say she wasn't? No. He's not the type. And I don't think Wonder Woman would lie either; however, we do know that she's prideful and competitive, with all of that Amazonian warrior stuff. Kind of like how Vegeta is with Goku. So she may have an overly inflated ego that distorts how strong she really is compared to Kal.

One comic book panel doesn't amount to much. What's more, Superman was about to answer Bruce but he's interrupted. What was he going to say?

Do we know if Superman is trying as hard as Diana when they spar? No. However, we do know that Superman is more reserved and has a tendency to hold back. Diana doesn't have that same tendency and she's more competitive. For all we know during these sparring sessions Superman could be going 50% while Diana goes 90%. And Superman is the type of person who wouldn't admit that for fear of hurting Diana's feelings. In the panel you see how aggressive and insecure Wonder Woman is about her abilities. Superman is kind of like, "You sure you're faster than me? I don't know..." And Wonder Woman is like, "Of course! I'm a warrior, Kal! Don't you know anything!?" Who comes off as more powerful in this scene? Superman or Wonder Woman? To me it looks almost like a son arguing with his dad and saying things like he's better at basketball, right after the father purposely lost to him.

Usain bolt isn't the best analogy since Superman's super speed encompasses punching speed, reaction time, flying, sprinting, etc. All movement. Usain Bolt is known for only being a fast runner.

What's interesting about this panel is that Diana admits Superman is faster, but that she has better training. I agree; however, is that training enough to close the gap in speed? Highly unlikely. It doesn't matter if you don't need to think before you throw or block a punch when you're fighting a being who can move at around the speed of light. Further, Superman processes information faster than the normal person as well, so the difference between Diana not thinking before throwing a punch versus Kal-El thinking before throwing a punch is minuscule. And this idea of "thinking" before throwing or blocking attacks is a little overstated. I'm not a mixed martial artist or boxer, but when I spar I don't think when I throw or dodge punches either. That's not an uncommon thing. This idea that Diana is leagues ahead of Superman in training is a little much as well. Superman has been fighting super villains for how long? How many training sessions has he had with Batman and Wonder Woman and who knows who else?

I hope this helps.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ilikecoffee said:
@from_beyond said:

If anything, you're combat speed should be HIGHER than your travel speed (unless you're travel speed is caused by something other than you're own self, as is the case with Thor), as most humans can only run like 15 miles per hour max, but can react to things coming at them at 30 mph and throw punches at 20 mph.

well, then a lot of Marvel and DC characters have faster than light combat speeds despite never showing anything close.

sure, why not?

SuperGoku17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: Statements mean nothing in comics unless they are backed up by feats.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: Statements mean nothing in comics unless they are backed up by feats.

yeah, and in comics there are feats of Diana beating kryptonians

and the statement is referring to them training together and isn't disputed by anyone in the group, which is closer to a feat than statement

Worldofthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

High-hypersonic at bare minimum

Jueix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Avatar image for deactivated-61215780523f9
deactivated-61215780523f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few dozen times faster than WW.

Avatar image for speedforceuser_
speedforceuser_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash is faster than them all, so it really doesn't matter :D

DrPepperMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fast enough to create Sonic booms, fight with Kryptonians who create Sonic booms, react and fight while flying at supersonic speeds, move much faster than a guy who caught a rocket and fought a bullet timer, and throw several punches before people or debris in free fall can begin moving.

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I’m not denying Superman’s speed, but how did we calculate Mach 900? Is that accurate? IIRC he didn’t fly that whole way in one shot, there were cut scenes. How can we be sure he’s THAT fast ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mach 7

Avatar image for deactivated-61a1b6940ec47
deactivated-61a1b6940ec47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I’m not denying Superman’s speed, but how did we calculate Mach 900? Is that accurate? IIRC he didn’t fly that whole way in one shot, there were cut scenes. How can we be sure he’s THAT fast ?

Ok, so this is the shot we get when the Air Force confirm Superman took out the world engine

No Caption Provided

Then the scene cuts to Superman lying on the ground reaching for the sun. Then we get another shot of the plane after

No Caption Provided

So only during this shot could Superman have left the Indian Ocean

then the last shot of the city we get is when Zod is targeting the plane

No Caption Provided

then Superman arrives. I clocked 68 seconds from the last shot of his face to when he appears again

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hypersonic.

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@webinyoureye11: nice nice. I would have to rewatch the movie again (for the 500th time). I never really noticed, but could be legit.

Matthew660

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hypersonic+

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How many machs does it take to get to the speed of light?

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mach 5-10

X

Tenguswordsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers