How do you think comics would be if written realistically?

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

How would you think the quality and overall enjoyment of Comic Books would be if they were written realistically? Or if the authors at least had some basic knowledge of biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, etc? Like their knowledge wasn't so great that comics would be no fun, but enough that things wouldn't be ridiculous.

I'd think Spiderman would either be dead, or made in a genetically modified lab.

Flash would be speed of light at most (only cause the speed force. His base speed with out it at most would be mach 2)

Superman would be a 500 tonner at most (only cause he was born on a planet with a far greater gravity) and an Atomic Bomb would be able to do some serious damage(like being put in a 5 year coma type damage), or even kill.

Joker would be dead. Any villain put in Arkham would stay for substantial amount of time (like 5 years, not just break out issues later).

Only magic or cosmic beings would be world buster level and insanely fast, strong, and durable. Thor & SS would be a God on SA Superman's level. If your just some alien or metahuman, than no.

That's just my opinion. Whats yours?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

All street levelers would be dead which means no batman which means DC fails miserably

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics don't need to be more realistic.... that's the point, it would be a boring world imo

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Watch the Nolan films. I don't think that Superman or Thor would work in a setting like that. You know?

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Realistically the Earth would be destroyed 10x over whenever some heavy hitter decides to throw a temper tantrum.

What is with the infatuation with realism in fictional work recently?

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics would no longer be comics.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be our world. Drawn on paper..

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like comics would be garbage, and I wouldn't be part of it.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beings like Superman wouldn't be thrown around like rag dolls by human trash.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

It'd be interesting for elseworld stories.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dan12456

Your whole premise is flawed. Flash wouldn't be the speed of light, because a man running at the speed of light is also impossible and not realistic. Magic/cosmic beings wouldn't be world busters as they simply wouldn't exist as they are also impossible, and there is no scientific backing for either being possible. There's no reason why living on a planet with heavy gravity would make superman capable of withstanding an atomic bomb (even in a coma) he would simply die instantaneously. You are putting bizarre limits which are no more grounded in reality any more than comics currently are.

The only thing which maaaaaybe would still exist is the odd street leveller.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

It'd be interesting for elseworld stories.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Emperorb777

Superman can be the exact way he is if comics were realistic, he doesn't have to follow human view on what is realistic since he isn't human.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomofukuoka: is road to perdition sick? It looks like it has a good cast

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'd be boring.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think touches of realism can help a book. I remember how Frank Miller's Daredevil would be injured and you would see the injury still issues later. I think in that instance it helped the story. I think it can be beneficial to show some realism.

That being said, let's be honest, superheroes are about the imagination and the impossible. As a reader I'm willing to suspend my ideas of what is real to enjoy the story. One of the main reasons I read comics is because the heroes are bigger than life. I want Superman to be able to fly, Deadpool to instantly heal, and Beast Boy to change into any animal he can think of.

Grayzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think touches of realism can help a book. I remember how Frank Miller's Daredevil would be injured and you would see the injury still issues later. I think in that instance it helped the story. I think it can be beneficial to show some realism.

That being said, let's be honest, superheroes are about the imagination and the impossible. As a reader I'm willing to suspend my ideas of what is real to enjoy the story. One of the main reasons I read comics is because the heroes are bigger than life. I want Superman to be able to fly, Deadpool to instantly heal, and Beast Boy to change into any animal he can think of.

Well said.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whats funny is when fans take these unrealistic characters and try to force them into real world limits in battle threads and get all scientific when non of their feats are even based on what science has discovered.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

@dan12456: I meant a touch of realism, not just completely realistic, but I do get your point.

Yeah, a being moving at the speed of light is impossible, as they'd need either infinite mass or infinite amounts of energy (which neither exist), but moving at great speeds is at least fathomable. However we don't know how an alien being would do on our Earth, cause we've never encountered one. For all we know we are the superior species in our galaxy. For all we know a being like Superman is very much possible to some extent, because he is not bound by human limitations due to no being a human.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

too realistic

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Realistic emotions but unrealistic physics make the best superhero comics. Superheroes are, at best, soft sci-fi or fantasy. I have no interest in reading 'realistic' superhero books.

In a realistic superhero book, non-powered heroes would destroy their bodies in months, the economy would be destroyed because of the repair bills from all the alien invasions, Superman would look like a giant weird squid alien, every Robin would be murdered their first time out and the world would fall into chaos from the revalation that gods and aliens exist and they want to kill us.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dratini1331
@petey_is_spidey said:

Flash would be speed of light at most (only cause the speed force. His base speed with out it at most would be mach 2)

Flash would make everyone he "saves" paste on the sidewalk if he didn't get the magic speed force powers. He also probably wouldn't be anywhere near light speed realistically. That's just way too fast. Him running in the city would cause more harm than good for most people, the sonic booms he generates at high speeds could kill bystanders.

He'd also be burnt to a crisp by the friction.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Does Kick-Ass count?

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dratini1331: Not to mention the weird effects of time dialation if he got close to light speed. His senses (sans hearing) would also be all messed up if he had super fast reaction and perception.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Death. Lots of Death.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Cloakx14

comics don't need to be realistic because comic book movies already are, Epescially in the DCU.

Avatar image for ironspiderchan45
Ironspiderchan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't Smosh do a video series about comics and movies being realistic? Because in the end it usually sucks.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

#30  Edited By black_wreath

Above all, it would limit creativity.

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

booringgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey said:

Flash would make everyone he "saves" paste on the sidewalk if he didn't get the magic speed force powers. He also probably wouldn't be anywhere near light speed realistically. That's just way too fast. Him running in the city would cause more harm than good for most people, the sonic booms he generates at high speeds could kill bystanders.

He'd also be burnt to a crisp by the friction.

True. The win forces would be as strong as a tornado. He would be fling projectiles left and right like their bullets. But isn't that the point of the speed force? It protects you and others from things like that?

I should clarify what I meant by realism. I don't mean to the point where its just boring as sh*t, but at least to the point where things aren't even understandable in real world applications. Maybe not speed of light (due to he would incinerate), but something along the lines of Mach 10 if the situation calls for it, and only the speed of sound when saving people.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Wouldn't be nowhere near as entertaining.

Doctor_Ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Warren Ellis version of Marvels

Chazz85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reality of suprheros i'll just do DC

• Superman Killed by US Goverment as a threat to power
  • Hal Jordan either flees earth or is killed and has ring stolen by US goverment
  • Flash Dies when he trys to punch a guy really fast by just turning his arm into a mesh of blood and bleeds out
  • Batman dies after a 1-2years either by criminals or hunted by the goverment
  • Wonder Woman probably okay due to diplomatic immunity

This is using what you suggested world governments wouldnt allow life forms that can wipe out cities to exist they'd all be dead or captured.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like realism they tend to throw the PIS out the window and stick to more restricted rules and move within the guidelines of character limitations rather than make up there own... bringing characters to a more understandable and human level.. it don't mean superpowers vanish but they do tend to become more restricted by known laws of physics adding to realism modern movies tend to do this with there comic adaptations i.e Thor is a Alien with advanced technology/energy manipulation instead of unexplained magic... Supermans cant just catch a plane falling from the sky he has to slow it down first or it will be destroyed etc

This is what I mean, though Thor is still a magic wielder in the MCU if you didn't already know.

@chazz85 said:

Reality of suprheros i'll just do DC

• Superman Killed by US Goverment as a threat to power
  • Hal Jordan either flees earth or is killed and has ring stolen by US goverment
  • Flash Dies when he trys to punch a guy really fast by just turning his arm into a mesh of blood and bleeds out
  • Batman dies after a 1-2years either by criminals or hunted by the goverment
  • Wonder Woman probably okay due to diplomatic immunity

This is using what you suggested world governments wouldnt allow life forms that can wipe out cities to exist they'd all be dead or captured.

• The government would have no chance at killing Superman, even if it's the Man of Steel one. When they waist hundreds of soldiers lives and billions of dollars of military funding, then they'd get the memo to just let him be.
  • I'm pretty sure if GL was real he would have the GL core backing him up. With a police force of that magnitude backing him, the US government would think twice. And if they do manage to kill him, bye bye Earth.
  • I'm pretty sure if someone was able to run that fast with out dying, he would be able to exert that much energy without worry of death. That's like saying if an old man was able to hit as hard as Manny Pacquiao he would break his hand due to brittle bone disease, or if he was as fast as Usain Bolt, he would dislocate a hip when running.
  • I would have to agree. Shoot, his body would be beat up after one week of crime fighting.
  • Agreed.
MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Both heroes and villains wouldn't last as long as in the comics.

Chazz85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: I doubt the US goverment would let him be also in are world theres a good chance he may not like the US goverment very much. Also flashes realism is eh and yeah GL has the core.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6c6de088804
deactivated-5c6c6de088804

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I think i'll leave this here.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

If comic books were realistic:

-) There will be squads of super-soldiers running around, not just one Captain America. And the scientists will be working on making the process cheaper and getting rid of side effects.

-) Batman's career will be over in several months. He'll be hunted and killed by military grade weapons. Criminals won't be scared by somebody with 'no killing' rule. Punisher has way more chances of survival.

-) Joker will have a fatal accident in jail, or got shot 'trying to escape'.

-) Black Widow won't be alive after crossing everybody she crossed in canon.

-) Nobody will come back from the dead.

-) A lot of superpowered people will prefer to use their powers to make their lives better instead of wearing tights and fighting crime. So there will be a rise of capeless supercrime, and the police will be forced to form S.W.A.T. out of supers too.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'd be the MCU. In short, awful.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If comic books were realistic:

-) There will be squads of super-soldiers running around, not just one Captain America. And the scientists will be working on making the process cheaper and getting rid of side effects.

-) Batman's career will be over in several months. He'll be hunted and killed by military grade weapons. Criminals won't be scared by somebody with 'no killing' rule. Punisher has way more chances of survival.

-) Joker will have a fatal accident in jail, or got shot 'trying to escape'.

-) Black Widow won't be alive after crossing everybody she crossed in canon.

-) Nobody will come back from the dead.

-) A lot of superpowered people will prefer to use their powers to make their lives better instead of wearing tights and fighting crime. So there will be a rise of capeless supercrime, and the police will be forced to form S.W.A.T. out of supers too.

That seems about realistic. I never got why the US Government in Marvel didn't give ALL their soldiers the super soldier serum. Also, Joker should be long dead, whether it be by the hands of a citizen who has a gun, or capital punishment.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The authors don't write stories that flout the laws of physics because they lack basic knowledge of biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, etc. They do it because they can, as surely as they can be writers of fiction. Telling stories about events that aren't and cannot be fully congruent with reality is the essence of fiction, while its congruencies with our experience allow it to have significance. Arbitrarily negating some incongruencies in others' works can be amusing, but ultimately misses the forest for the trees when it comes to appreciating or explaining them in terms of the circumstances that cause them and the reactions they cause in turn.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By darkdetective27

Boring, I dont read comics like Superman for realism. If I wanted realism Id read a crime drama or something.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

no haters would complain about batman being human cuz he is portrayed as human

some heroes would break the "no killing rule" cuz that wouldn't last in the real world

earth would've been destroyed a long time ago........maybe the universe even and everything would cease to exist

VenomousTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watchmen.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By Rouflex

Daredevil would get sued and Fantômas would solo.

panther21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

only a few heroes would be left, the villains would be a lot less dangerous