How do you people keep track of all your books?

RedSteel15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RedSteel15

I suppose you people have a lot of comic books, I think I have around 1000 issues. And now I've been wondering if I shouldn't start cataloging these bad boys.  
I have bookshelves that I put them into and now I'm starting to think for future purpouses I should start doing this so I can have a good overview of what is where and what issues I have is just a search away.  

There's something for Mac's called Delicious Library, and there is something similar to Windows, called Media Man. You can basically scan a barcode or type in manually what you'd like to catalouge in the program, and then you can search and sort your library and all that jazz, so I've been really compelled to start doing that during the summer break.  

Have any tips or should I just stick with my idea of gettin Media Man and start? I think it sounds pretty good.

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By JairamGanpat

i just make lists on comicvine...

VickyVons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By VickyVons

right now i just have boxes, but my friend has all of his books (i'm talking entire issues) scanned and put on a terabyte hard drive.  
 for me having them in boxes isn't that much of a hassle since the ones i don't read often, i keep towards the bottom. with over 1,000 though, i think i would start looking for something like a Delicious Library or Media Man. I say go for it.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I have them in assorted boxes. I also have a rather good memory.

RedSteel15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RedSteel15
@VickyVons: That sounds like an insane amount of work. I thought my little project would take a lot of time but that sounds crazy.  
And doing lists here on Comic Vine I can see being a viable way if you're just starting out. Seems a bit too tedious for me personally. I have like a stack of 60 comic books on my nightside table that needs to be sorted alone. And a couple of big paper bags.  

I'll buy that Media Man stuff in a couple of weeks and I'll maybe post something about it and recommend it or tell you that it is a horrible thing to do. 
Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Aronmorales

They're all in one place, that is good enough for me.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I mostly just know what I have. On the other hand, I do keep notes on my phone (before awesome cell phone age in my wallet) what issues I need to complete certain series or ones I've just always wanted to read.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

I have a friend who organized all his single issues by title but then a week later half of them were all over his room because he kept for getting to put them back an he has like over 2000 lol

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Deranged Midget

What do you mean... you people? 

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By turoksonofstone

Got 8,000 books into Comic Base ($58,000 worth) then lost my data because I had not shared it with Atomic Avenue and my CPU crashed. 
Plan to try again with a dedicated Machine at some point.

RedSteel15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RedSteel15
@turoksonofstone: That sounds horrible. But is Comic Base something you'd recommend? o: 

Now I saw that the barcode thing wasn't for webcams but an actual fucking scanner, and I'm not gonna shellout the money for one of those too. Or does it work with a webcam or something else?  
I hope you can assist me in this cataloging quest 2011.
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By turoksonofstone
@Jolt92 said:
@turoksonofstone: That sounds horrible. But is Comic Base something you'd recommend? o:  Now I saw that the barcode thing wasn't for webcams but an actual fucking scanner, and I'm not gonna shellout the money for one of those too. Or does it work with a webcam or something else?  I hope you can assist me in this cataloging quest 2011.
If you want to be able to thumb through your collection virtually then yes. I had planned to use it to sell, once I had all 90,000 books added. took me 5 months to get the 8,000 in I did before my CPU crashed.
Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#14  Edited By Dracade102

They are ALL OVER my house. I seriously need a bookshelf or something to keep them all in one place.

RedSteel15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RedSteel15
@turoksonofstone: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck me. 90 000? That's insane dude.  
I'm really considering getting this, but shouldn't you just be able to take your harddrive out or just send it in for restoration since it was your CPU that went bananas?
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By turoksonofstone
@Jolt92 said:
@turoksonofstone: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck me. 90 000? That's insane dude.  I'm really considering getting this, but shouldn't you just be able to take your harddrive out or just send it in for restoration since it was your CPU that went bananas?
The program creates a file and updates it each time you log out. If you are posting to Atomic Avenue and Comic Base simultaneously it's saved at an external Server. However I was posting info to Comic Base only so my CPU had the only copy of the file. Hard drive's data proved to be irretrievable. lesson learned. I wanted to enter All my books before I sold any.
Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17  Edited By Roxanne Starr

I read comics off the racks and then put them back, so others can keep track of them. Sometimes I take the comics up to the tower and read them there before putting them back.

The only comics that I own are ones that other people gave me and they're totally random.

Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't ever keep track of them. There usually just scattered around my room yet i always remember where Issue's and Trades are. Someone could ask me for an issue that could be two months old. Then i would remember where i put in a be all "Yeah it's beside PS3 under the DVD's at the back of the shelf. 

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19  Edited By Roxanne Starr
@The Umbra Sorcerer said:
I don't ever keep track of them. There usually just scattered around my room yet i always remember where Issue's and Trades are. Someone could ask me for an issue that could be two months old. Then i would remember where i put in a be all "Yeah it's beside PS3 under the DVD's at the back of the shelf. 
I hear ya. I'm a collector...but not of comic books. 

These days, there aren't many comics that are worth following.
CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By CellphoneGirl

I just know what comics i own off hand. Not exactly the issue number, but what happens in the issue.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#21  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

I created my own database to catalog all my collections over a decade ago and I've upgraded it through the years. There are a lot of good comic cataloging apps available and they all have their pro's and cons, the most popular are Comic Collector Live, ComicBase and Collectorz.com Comic Collector. Layout and feature wise I prefer recommending Comic Collector Live but if you want to be able to access your collection on a smart phone, pda or tablet Collectorz.com Comic Collector is better but more expensive because you have to pay for the main app and the apps for any mobile devices and if you want your collection viewable online you have to pay a yearly subscription. ComicBase has a horrible layout and requires way too much clicking to get anything done and I've found it to be extremely slow but it does provide a lot of detailed information and it has some pretty handy reporting tools.

You should try out all the available apps to see which one fits you best, can try out Comic Collector Live (for 30 days), ComicBase Free (can add 500 comics) and Collectorz.com Comic Collector (can add 100 comics) for free. I'm pretty sure you have to pay a subscription to get new updates and new comic releases for all three apps, CCL and ComicBase is yearly and I'm not completely sure on Collectorz.com but it is probably yearly too.