How do you feel about this "woke"/"controversial" Nightcrawler retcon?

KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll How do you feel about this "woke"/"controversial" Nightcrawler retcon? (40 votes)

Love it 23%
Hate it 53%
Other 30%
No Caption Provided

So it looks like Marvel Comics is retconing Nightcrawler from being the son of the shapeshifting mutant Mystique and the demon Azazel (a straight couple) and instead making him the biological child of Mystique and Destiny (a lesbian couple).

How do you feel about it overall? Do you think they'll acknowledge how troubling this would be for a devote catholic character? Etc

• 
Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Mooty_Pass  Online

I personally do not have a problem with it. But, I have to ask is WHY?

Isn't that what Rogue is for? I mean she is the adopted Daughter of both Mystique and Destiny. I would like Kurt to have more interaction with his Father Azazel.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t like Azazel, so this is completely fine with me.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love it

nightcrawler barely matters regardless

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

It's a bit of a shame because the actual story behind the

Azazel/Mystique relationship is decent enough by its lonesome (and explains some of her more detached personality traits) and it does trivialise his role given their story over the last 20 years has mostly been around that idea of him being Kurt's father and whatnot.

Otherwise it doesn't really matter. Clarmont wanted to do something similar with Rogue in the 80's (for obvious reasons it wasn't to be) so I guess they're just rectifying that.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

?...Doesn't Nightcrawler get his powers and his appearance from his Father? So how is that going to work?

Rac95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rac95

I don't understand why they see the need for this. He has his origin, why would they need to go and change it. It changes nothing for him, neither in a good nor in a bad sense.

It would be better to give some character a fresh start, instead of trying to retcon them.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Wasn't that going to be the original version of his origin back in the day anyway? From what I read, they wanted to do it but couldn't because the Comic Book Authority wouldn't allow it because it would depict a lesbian couple.

Rac95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

?...Doesn't Nightcrawler get his powers and his appearance from his Father? So how is that going to work?

Marvel will find a way. If it's a smart or even logical solution, that is the real question

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

It's annoying, but it is what it is.

I am one of those people that never truly cared about Kurt that much and he was never one of my favorite X-Men, so to be honest - it does not bother me as much.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11 Straight-Fire  Online

Legit don't care.

Ieatnettles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't love it but I don't care (he's such an irrelevant character)

Mage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally do not have a problem with it. But, I have to ask is WHY?

Isn't that what Rogue is for? I mean she is the adopted Daughter of both Mystique and Destiny. I would like Kurt to have more interaction with his Father Azazel.

This.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't love it but I don't care (he's such an irrelevant character)

Nightcrawler was a major character in Krakoa don't lie

@rac95 said:
@wolfrazer said:

Marvel will find a way. If it's a smart or even logical solution, that is the real question

Didn't they retcon azazel into being his father later on ? The concept of Nightcrawler having actual demonic heritage detracts from the point of his character anyways plus they only cared about mystique anyways.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cattlebattle

This was an idea Claremont had when he was writing the X-Men ages ago. But he wasn't allowed or something like that. He also wanted Nightcrawler's father to be "Nightmare".

It doesn't make sense because it would go into a whole concept on how Mystique can just duplicate reproductive organs and why she can't duplicate powers even though it has long been established she can only mimic appearance.

Also, Destiny was always an older woman that Mystique has known for a very long time, even in the 80s, meaning when Nightcralwer first shows up he should be like 50 years old when he is clearly stated to be around 21.

It messes with Nightcrawler's entire history sort of.

I never liked the Azazel origin. I always thought Kurt's father should have just been some guy, or I liked the idea of Mystique just trying to live a normal life with a rich baron and then she has a weird looking baby and he rejects her. It was kind of a sad backstory for her.

onsipin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems unnecessary but I am not bothered by it. But I am curious to find out how Nightcrawler got his powers and looks if Azazel is not his father

noobmaster2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Marvel gotta stop with this shit I swear

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mooty_Pass  Online

So, just read X-Men Blue Origins #1 and my opinion has changed from my original statement I made on Post #2 Above ^

This Retconned was just unnecessary. It does nothing for Nightcrawler as character as whole. I understand what they were going for, but at the same time WHY. I'm glad Kurt finally, got the closure he needed....I guess? I mean Uncanny Spider-Man #4 alludes to something different, but whatever.

This Retconned was NOT good. Makes things more confusing.

Saiyan_Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer: Kurt is a mutant. I am not sure Azazel being his father or not has anything to do this.

Saiyan_Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Saiyan_Ross

I liked the idea of Mystique just trying to live a normal life with a rich baron and then she has a weird looking baby and he rejects her. It was kind of a sad backstory for her.

Yeah I have heard that idea before but I think thats more of a karma for her being a backstabbing bit@#

Saiyan_Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Saiyan_Ross

Honestly never cared for his backstory or this retcon. He is a fine character but his backstory never interested me. Compared to that I was more interested if someone would have explored Gambit's background with Sinister but that was never explored.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rajjarsalt

So the product of two lesbians is a demon, right?

No Caption Provided

Bonus points for being Catholic too

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you use woke unironically, you should never be taken seriously.

And people who hate "woke" stuff, how do you go about your life liking comics at all considering that comics have been woke since forever.

Avatar image for marygcrisostomo
marygcrisostomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By marygcrisostomo

This was something fans have speculated and wanted for some time. It is good and it makes Mystique very powerful with a lot of potential

last0fth3risen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't this the original idea for Rogue, instead of Nightcrawler? It makes sense for her to be Destiny's child (no pun intended), since she looks normal. I mean, sure, Mystique is blue, but there's no reason for her son to look like the Devil, with Destiny as the other parent. Azazel explains that.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never liked that his father was someone as lame as Azazel, I vastly prefer Nightcrawler's original idea of him being meant to be Nightmare's child. If they were to retcon, I'd like to be that since Roger Stern probably doesn't give two shits anymore.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda1001: The original idea was for him to be Destiny and Mstques child.

But that was scrapped cause of course it was

GreatGreenGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disney is going to Panderverse their way into the ground it seems :-/

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon: Wasn't that Rouge's idea? I remember reading that Chris Claremont wanted Nightmare to be Kurt's dad, but Roger Stern was against it.

Avatar image for captain_inverse
captain_inverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marygcrisostomo: who exactly wanted this, I've never heard or seen anyone advocate for a retcon for Kurt.

@byondeon: I don't believe many care about something being woke, as much as they do media being preachy and people using these outlets/platforms(games,comics,movies,etc) to push an agenda beyond telling a good story.

Many things have recently have been used to push agendas.

OT:I don't see the need of changing an established character when they could have easily CREATED a new one and not have to have any restrictions on creativity from using someone already known.

This, to me, comes off as lazy and unnecessary.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

i don't have a problem with it in general, but i heavily dislike this portrayal of Mystique... It's pathetic.

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing is worse than the mistreatment constant disrespect of the character Vulcan.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zetsu-San  Online

Does Azazel just not exist anymore?

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zetsu-San  Online
@byondeon said:

When you use woke unironically, you should never be taken seriously.

You do realize that "woke" as a pejorative IS the ironic usage, right?

imquentin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well Azazel is irrelevant but it doesnt make sense either. It was unnecessary.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like they’re doing a bit too much but…

No Caption Provided

comicbookfan32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iam typically against the the woke changes because it don't make sense and it's just for attention but this was the original idea marvel just wouldn't let them do it back in the day did it have to happen no but iam not really mad that it did.

Alex_Ferrana_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was unnecessary and didn't really added something really important or value for Kurt.