How Do You Define A Superhero?

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What do you guys consider to be a superhero?

Just made a topic about favorite superheroes and there were great characters listed that I haven't seen considered superheroes, so it would be fantastic to read everyone's thoughts!

And feel free to list examples of the superheroes that you think aren't given their respect as being among the greats.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cocacolaman  Moderator

A hero is someone who does good for others so I'd say a superhero is someone of some inhumanly capable physical ability who does good for others.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

A guy that does good and helps people on a regular basis, and usually does it better/more impressively than other folks like cops.

Doesn't have to be superhuman tho.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cocacolaman: Thank you for the tag.

So for your definition, does it have to be established in the character's lore that he or she inhuman capabilities?

So, for an example, do you think Jack Bauer from 24 would not be a superhero, despite pulling off inhuman feats, since the story didn't establish he was a superhero?

And would an alien be considered a superhero since its part of his or her natural biology?

Do you consider Goku a superhero?

How about SpongeBob's healing abilities, relative to Sandy's, Patrick's, and Squidwards?

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A guy that does good and helps people on a regular basis, and usually does it better/more impressively than other folks like cops.

Doesn't have to be superhuman tho.

Thanks!

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 takenstew22  Moderator
McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think a definition can be made that encompasses all superheroes

Steve40L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me, someone who uses their above human abilities (whether it's skill, smarts, or powers) for the cause of a greater good.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steve40l said:

To me, someone who uses their above human abilities (whether it's skill, smarts, or powers) for the cause of a greater good.

Do they have to be consistently proactive about it?

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcflicky said:

I don't think a definition can be made that encompasses all superheroes

Interesting. Why is that?

Avatar image for brogokudestroys
brogokudestroys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A murderer

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15 krisbishop  Moderator

Any character that is above a regular human by the means of enhancements, abilities, or equipment, and chooses to use them for the benefit of mankind as their active purpose in life.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By infantfinite128
@krisbishop said:

Any character that is above a regular human by the means of enhancements, abilities, or equipment, and chooses to use them for the benefit of mankind as their active purpose in life.

Excellent. I'm thinking that it has to be active as well.

So I think that would rule out Lord of the Rings characters despite because, despite being incredible heroes, it's not an active role.

Although, do you think Gandalf and Aragorn are superheroes?

I could see Gandalf and Aragorn as superheroes outside of helping Frodo save the world but I don't remember what was established in the lore.

macattack1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By macattack1

Personally I’d say it’s a hero who is unique within their world, is greater than anyone could be in the real world, and has made it their primary goal to help people without any alterior motives.

Using a couple of you’re examples I’d say someone like James Bond isn’t a superhero because he is too realistic, it’s someone who could plausibly exist (and in fact people like that do exist) in real life. Compared to say Batman who is unrealistically great at what he does.

And someone like Harry Potter isn’t because he isn’t unique enough in his world, he is a wizard but there are lots of wizards that exist, so even though he has ‘superpowers’ it’s just a type of person that exists fairly commonly in that verse, he isn’t unique enough. Its like a ‘good’ Atlantean in DC isn’t a superhero despite being superhuman but someone like Aquaman or Mera are because they are more unique in their powers and actions.

Someone like Indiana Jones isn’t because he isn’t going about his life helping people for the sake of helping people, he is an archeologist exploring and researching and just happens to help some people along the way while doing what he is doing.

Death1dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A superhero is a magnet of disaster

Steve40L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I’d say it’s a hero who is unique within their world, is greater than anyone could be in the real world, and has made it their primary goal to help people without any alterior motives.

Using a couple of you’re examples I’d say someone like James Bond isn’t a superhero because he is too realistic, it’s someone who could plausibly exist (and in fact people like that do exist) in real life. Compared to say Batman who is unrealistically great at what he does.

And someone like Harry Potter isn’t because he isn’t unique enough in his world, he is a wizard but there are lots of wizards that exist, so even though he has ‘superpowers’ it’s just a type of person that exists fairly commonly in that verse, he isn’t unique enough. Its like a ‘good’ Atlantean in DC isn’t a superhero despite being superhuman but someone like Aquaman or Mera are because they are more unique in their powers and actions.

Someone like Indiana Jones isn’t because he isn’t going about his life helping people for the sake of helping people, he is an archeologist exploring and researching and just happens to help some people along the way while doing what he is doing.

Great explanation. Thanks!

Lorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone who has enough to kill a villain to prevent deaths of civilians, therefore peacemaker >>>> batman.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my definition of superhero is someone who does good, while being superhuman i.e. having feats above peak humans in real life in at least one category.

AchievedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superhero is someone with above average capabilities hence the word "Super".

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cocacolaman  Moderator

@ursaber: Ask infantfinite, I and others only tag for him because his account has a bug thing where he can’t tag others.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cocacolaman: I just sent a PM to ursaber that I removed him from the tag list.

Thank you for continuing to help me out.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ram0ranch_21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imo a superhero is a person with supernatural powers that defy the laws of nature, and these people use their powers for social benefits i.e using their powers to help people and benefit society etc.

Antebellum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This definition.

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

"I'm a guy who is hero for fun"

-Saitama, the One Punch Man

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EmmaFrostXmen

superhero as a term varies from situation to situation. oftentimes the best villains believe they themself are the hero. people like poison ivy fully believe they are saving the world, and bringing justice to the people that poison it. that leads me to believe that a super hero is a super powered individual that dedicates their life to finding injustice in the world and correcting it.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 anthp2000  Moderator

Like a hero, but super.

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't read much superhero comics and barely care for what they try or tried to be throughout their conception and revisions by others. Perhaps they seem unnatural in a good way or are a better version than the average person in several aspects that it seems mythical in nature. I guess they might have somethings like:

• Having and coming to terms with humility and pride. Not afraid of looking or acting silly if it means cheering up someone or helping themselves cope. Being able to take pride in humility instead of trying to act 'cool', or 'high-maintenance', 'edgy', 'thinks they know better', 'always in control of the situation', 'having high standards' or other words that may be similar. Like whether or not you'd stop a villain despite wearing baby attire or some sort of goofy conundrum.
  • Doing what they can for others, even if it comes at the expense of themselves
  • Brings hope, inspiration, and joy to others when they can and knows that they can't and shouldn't please everybody like a people-pleaser/perfectionist.
  • Knowing the difference between doing what is right vs doing what is easy.
  • Trying to not fit into a crowd, but rather is interested in doing what they can to help others.
  • Knowing that failures, unexpected or expected problems, and setbacks allows growth and a chance to try and do better as well as inspire others to do better.
  • Knows others have problems and their own lives and will try to help them if they can.
  • They look like they could do goofy or uncommon stuff behind the scenes like have a collection hobby, crime fight in a mascot or weird costume, watch kid shows made with love and life lessons while most would watch adult shows or watch grass grow
  • Would probably like and unexpectedly showcase Aesop Fables and good life lessons.
  • Seems like someone who wouldn't even be phased if some kid called them a poopy head, forcing them to demolish a town and take over the world. They have restraint and humility on that part. Probably were called that and probably worse ['you like cartoon milfs/dilfs/characters', 'you like fantasy stuff'] as a kid but became humble enough to help others and be accepting rather than grow old and go to the bar to wash those memory away; but you can't tell the other guys over there that because they keep talking about their time in the war. Which is why you'd have to lie.
  • Can be wacky and have a quirky side which they may reveal to those they care about.
  • Came to be a superhero organically rather than manufactured or having hero syndrome, god complex, superiority complex, inferiority complex.
  • Trying to do what most people haven't been doing in their time, such as having appeal, emotional support, good values, aren't under the bystander effect or mob mentality, and entertainment value.
  • Aren't projecting their own insecurities but may have had annoying morals to deliver.
  • Would sacrifice their own goals or status and not follow trends, but rather somehow create it in the first place.
  • Can be underestimated in terms of their potential, talent, mindset, nature and will showcase what they can do when it is necessary.
  • They do stuff and are not evil and crazy.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By infinitehope

@fabricolage: Thank you for writing such an thorough list. The last bullet point was a great conclusion.

Based on your list, I'm really curious.

What do you think is the best superhero? And what is your favorite superhero?

Avatar image for lightyagamigod2
lightyagamigod2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lightyagamigod2

A superhero is an individual who manifests virtues such as courage, humility, determination, and bravery.

With that being said, a hero doesn't have to have supernatural abilities but it is the way they conduct themselves. Examples of superheroes are police officers, people in the army, lifeguards,etc.

If I were to say my favorite hero.. it would be superman

No Caption Provided