How Did You First Get Into Comics?

Shadow Cape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shadow Cape

First I started getting into comics by reading one of Spiderman by cousin had. After that, movies finished what that comic started. How did it happen to you guys?

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Sling Shot

My older cousin had a bunch and he would't let me read them. I would snek and read them when he was at football practice and finallyfor my 8th birthday he gave me like six or seen boxes full of them. I ain't looked back since.

Case Closed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Case Closed

X-men the TV show was amazing, then me and my buddy would go out to this comic book shop in the town over all the time.

Walkingstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Walkingstone

One of my closest friends bugged me until I went to one of my local comic stores and asked what was good and had Batman in it. I read the Long Halloween. It was amazing but I didn't really get into comics until she kept bugging me and I went and got Nightwing. Now I'm hooked lol.

Sketchtor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sketchtor

My Dad. Although he was always more into the Phantom.

webslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By webslinger

i was going in a trip, and had noting to do, so, before getting in a car, i bought a spiderman comic, then i read it and whoa; it was cool!

Switch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Switch

I killed a man and took his comics for my own.

Nah, just picked one up for something to read. Ya'know how it is.

Maelstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Maelstrom

For me it was the Justice League cartoons and a video a friend showed me.

I'd gotten all the seasons of the Justice League and really loved the characters (besides the Trinity) I saw, especially Green Lantern, and I wanted to learn more about their comic counterpart.

But before that, my friend showed me a video of Marvel's Civil War and it looked interesting so I went to the comic store to check it out. I liked what I saw, so I got it, alongside a few Nightwing comics and Green Lantern/ Green Lantern Corps comics. And after a few more visits, I discovered the Fantastic Four and now I'm permanent inhabitant of Comicbook Land. :D What can I say, I'm a sucker for team books and the Fantastic Four and Green Lantern Corps are the best in my book.

power kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By power kid

wacthing tv

Spiderman 2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spiderman 2099

i actual have no idea i always been collecting them i guessed i started before i got my first memory

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#11  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Mr. Majestic.

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Ms. Invisible

It wasn't a serious hobby of mine, but when I came onto this site, I got more into it.

Rotten gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rotten gun

my older brother collected phantom and he had some old x-men... but i didn't start until i stumbled across iron fist

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

I got into Superman as a character after watching the movie on TV. I was also quite into the Spidey cartoons. My parents had gotten me the funny comics before that (Beano, Dandy etc.), I noticed the Superman and Spider-man ones in the local corner shop and asked for those as well. This is all early to mid eighties for those of you working on my biography. I remember getting the Secret Wars sticker album (and trading at school, I remember one for the '86 World Cup as well), though I've no idea what happened to it. Probably my little brother.

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Sparda

My parents were big fans of the Hulk TV show when they were kids. They introduced me to the 90s cartoon, and I my fascination quickly grew, and my brother introduced me to several other Marvel characters. Kind of snowballed from that point on.....

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By the creator

I started to read at an early age and I noticed comics on the newspaper stands in the city, so my parents bought me some. I originally read the UK reprints of the older Marvel Hulk and Spiderman comics (I think it was renamed Mighty World of Marvel). Now that does seem a long time ago...

acewasp23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By acewasp23

my name when i found out where i got it from. my fathers name is Bruce Wayne S------ SR and im a JR it made school a living hell. so it all started with batman. funny thing is im not that big a batman fan.
Post Edited:2007-09-14 02:22:33

Rotten gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rotten gun

acewasp23 says:

"my name when i found out where i got it from. my fathers name is Bruce Wayne S------ SR and im a JR it made school a living hell. so it all started with batman. funny thing is im not that big a batman fan.
Post Edited:2007-09-14 02:22:33"

ha thats kinda cool... but only to us... which makes it kinda funny :)

Superkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Superkitty

When I was a little kid, for some reason I wanted some Casper the Friendly Ghost and Richie Rich comics. Oh, for the love of a dead boy that Harvey refuses to acknowledge his death and a kid that rides around in a diamond encrusted helicopter while people starve.

acewasp23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By acewasp23

Rotten gun says:

"acewasp23 says:
"my name when i found out where i got it from. my fathers name is Bruce Wayne S------ SR and im a JR it made school a living hell. so it all started with batman. funny thing is im not that big a batman fan.
Post Edited:2007-09-14 02:22:33"
ha thats kinda cool... but only to us... which makes it kinda funny :)"

the worst part is when i work with the cops, i always get the to the bat-mobile line.

Avatar image for space_phantom_v6_1
Space Phantom v6.1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when i was reslly little...thats how ilearnt to read

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By John Valentine

Tv shows, graphic novels in book stores.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Static Shock

My second grade teacher had about 5 issues of Spider-Man on her bookshelf. I think they were all a part of a particular story arc that had Moon Knight, Night Thrasher, and Nova in them. I used to read them everyday in class. I used to have a issue of Superman: The Man of Steel, where a version of Bizarro seemingly dies, I think. Been a while since I read it. In the third grade, I had a Wildcats comic, a 3-in-1 Spider-Man comic (featuring Will-O the Wisp, Tarantula up until his transformation, Human Torch, and the Beetle), and some others that I can't remember.

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kurrent

I starting buying the marvel cards from the ice cream man when I was a kid and I used to watch the old Batman show as well as Superfriends. When I got old enough to pay for the stuff myself I got into it even more..

The 502 Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The 502 Kid

Mostly the Old Saturday morning cartoons did for me. then I stopped reading them after the stupid Spider-Man clone saga stuff, but now I've started to get back into them again.

box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By box turtle

A friend who was a fan os Spidey, and Sam Raimi's Spiderman 3.  Then, I went to a hospital for a few months and was really bored and I knew the comic with Jackpot's identity was coming out, so my parents got it, and thats when I was hooked. 
burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By burr787

I saw the Dark Knight and started reading Graphic Novels and TPBs then after I heard about Batman dying I started reading current Batman and every back issue I could find.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my mom. my mom was into comics when she was a kid, so when they first came out.  she mentioned being heavily
into Fantastic 4, Wonder Woman, Thor and Hulk comics. when i was five she bought me a bunch of Secret Wars figures, as well as Dooms Tower and his copter. and a few comics. i was bed-ridden alot, and she got me lots of comics, and Fleer superhero cards.

Avatar image for do_i_have_to_give_a_name_
Do I have to give a name?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to read a few when I was a kid, but I wasn't a major fan or anything. Then a couple of years back I was browsing random nonsense online when I read about Superman Red son.
I liked the premise so ordered a copy. I thoroughly enjoyed it, then when i was talking to  a friend about it he said he had a load of books I could borrow. So he lent me a whole bunch of elseworld stories, all the 3 crisis plotlines, a good chunk of the civil war stuff, a bunch of marvel what ifs and probably 200 or so "regular" comics. then when I was looking for stories on flashes rogues  I found comicvine. Laughed my ass off reading some of the Goku Vs Superman thread. Eventually decided to sign up. I wouldn't say I'm an obsessive fan or anything (I mainly enjoy elseworld/ what if stories) But I do like to use this site to get info and look for stories that I think would interest me.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By MrDirector786

When I was younger, I used to watch all the cartoons of Superman, Batman, Spider-man, X-men, and all of them which is what got me into Superheroes, but it wasn't until recent years with all the Superhero movies like Superman Returns, Spider-man 3 (I know they were both not very good, but whatever) that actually made me get into comics.

Tra-EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tra-EL

I always had a fascination with Superman before I can even remember. There was something about that S that stood out to me at a young age. My parents would always buy me toys and what not, but my earliest remembered of comics is when my brother and his buddy use to walk over town to get the new comic out that day. I wasn't allowed to go because I was too young, so I'd wait for them to get back, and just look at the pictures with them. I was always the spectator and also would watch them draw characters like Superman, Wolverine, and Batman all the time.. there is just something so appealing to a child when it comes to colors, and Red, Blue, and Yellow had me hooked.

During my teen years, and mixups with school and sports, I got away from the comic scene for about a little over a decade, until I found some old comics in my brothers room when I was looking for a movie. It brought back so many memories that I decided it was time to hop back into it again. I was excited.  This was around the time James Robinson took over as Superman, and I told my local comic shop that it's been awhile and I'm starting to get back into it.  I re-searched what was going on and it was just fait that the Superman books were jumping into a story where it was a perfect, fresh new start to Superman with a new writer, and fresh storylines of New Krpyton. I re-searched the issues and bought like 15 at once to catch up. Now I'm a buff again and collecting as many back issues as I can. I'm glad I'm back into it, It's exciting to rekindle a passion from your childhood.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DEGRAAF

expensive christmas gag gift 

my gf thought it would be a good gag gift to get me the slip cased oversized hard cover of Kingdom Come. Little did she know that that would get me addicted to comics
Avatar image for silver_knight75
Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By Silver Knight75

DC- theme park 

Marvel- came with a mattress

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Always had a passing intrest in them, started collecting when a friend who colected came over with a copy of the newly released Punisher #5 of 4, lol.  I ended up with that series and have been collecting ever since, lol 
ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ARMIV

My dad drew for Chaos Comics on a mini-series back in the day. Being the co-creator,he received a butt-load (too small of a word) of copies. Growing up and desiring to read,guess what I had around me?

About a BAJILLION copies of THIS!
Loved 'em ever since.
DC_Marvel_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DC_Marvel_1000

i was given a big box by my grandfather and....well yea

Speedblast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Speedblast

I used to watch all the marvel animated tv shows like Spiderman and X Men so i became of marvel that way. The sole reason i actually started to read comic books though was because of Deadpool. When Marvel Ultimate Alliance came out that how i was introduced with Deadpool and couldn't get enough of him. I found the nearest comic book store and picked up an issue of Cable and Deadpool and the rest is history.
Queen's Halo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Queen's Halo

The first X-Men movie.

The only comic book I had seen was an Adam and Eve in the garden.

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Aronmorales
@ARMIV said:
" My dad drew for Chaos Comics on a mini-series back in the day. Being the co-creator,he received a butt-load (too small of a word) of copies. Growing up and desiring to read,guess what I had around me?
Loved 'em ever since. "
I share the exact same origin as this bloke.
FML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FML

I was about 11, had some change in my pocket, were hanging in a bookstore waiting for my parents, saw "X-men", bought it, read it and 8 years later here I am.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#41  Edited By Caligula

My grandpa showed, me his Batman/Dective Comics collection, and so I guess he and Batman got me hooked.
Kynikos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By Kynikos

general curiosity got me interested to Alan Moore's work, then from there Warren Ellis, then Garth Ennis, then to comic's in general. Cannot remember exact catalyst, but one of those three guys piqued my interest on wikipedia one night, then everything came from that. 

Avatar image for bicyclerepairman
Bicyclerepairman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bicyclerepairman

I was listening to a comics discussion podcast on another site and I had to know about this Watchmen movie in production, I got the series for christmas and as they say the rest was history.

spiderpigbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By spiderpigbart

BUMP!  I got into comics (when I was about 5 (wooohoooo!!!)) due to my older cousin, a comic fan, and the movies.  When I was about nine I got into the darker stuff, (i.e. Watchmen.)  

-The Renegade-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#45  Edited By -The Renegade-

When I played ultimate spider-man for the ps2 I just had to buy the comics of that series. As soon as I bought the first volume, I was hooked and then started to buy other titles.... now comic books are my drug !