How did the joker become batmans most popular villain?

#1 Edited by Dmnb2wavy (652 posts) - - Show Bio

No disrespect to the joker but I’m just wondering how out of all of Batman extensive rouge gallery a dude dressed up as a clown became his most popular villain and one of if not the most popular villain in dc. I mean the joker seems like a villain who would be on the same plane as other whacky villains that some heroes had in their rogue gallery.

Btw the joker is one of my favorite villains

#2 Edited by Combo-Man (314 posts) - - Show Bio

Dmnb2wavy marked this as the best answer

Originally The Joker and the Penguin became Batman's most popular villains because they were the most frequently used villains on the 60s TV show.

Penguin appeared in 20 episodes, Joker in 19 episodes.

both those characters were also chosen to appear alongside Batman & Robin in The New Scooby-Doo movies in 1972 further confirming their status as Batman's most well known villains.

also in the 70s when Mego were making DC action figures, The Joker and The Penguin were always selected to represent Batman's rogues gallery in those toy lines.

then during the 80s in Batman's comics there was a renewed interest in The Joker from both creators and fans. the character was featured in some of the biggest DC comics of the time; DKR, A Death in the Family, The Killing Joke.

finally when Batman (1989) was released with Jack Nicholson (at the time one of the most celebrated actors in the world) playing the character of The Joker, plus Warner Brothers decision to focus solely on that villain in the movie rather than multiple villains, this cemented The Joker as Batman's no. 1 villain and it's remained that way ever since.

#3 Posted by CocaColaMan (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker's fame is like the Mona Lisa. We don't question it. We just accept it.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#4 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (18733 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he just happened to be his most well written villain on a consistent basis. On all mediums.

#5 Posted by Dmnb2wavy (652 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by DeathandGrim (4923 posts) - - Show Bio

It's his shocking iconic look and many memorable stories. Plus Mark Hamill essentially immortalized his voice.

#7 Posted by Mrnoital (8474 posts) - - Show Bio

They perfectly had the opposite balance of other hero villain matches

With the hero wearing bright colours, and the villain all dark and shadowy, Joker is the perfect bright and colourful villain to Batman's dark and shadowy hero

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#8 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (18733 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmnb2wavy: his character lets writers get creative. Not that other villains don’t have that luxury but Joker has that “it” factor by design.

#9 Posted by TrueMoonchilde (2261 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does any villain become any heroes most popular antagonist?

In general, it's probably a combination of memorable & quality story-lines, overall frequency of appearances, general success rate against the hero & (perhaps most importantly) outside media exposure.

#10 Posted by Marvelitez (311 posts) - - Show Bio

Because that's the joke

#11 Posted by AlexTheBoss (19561 posts) - - Show Bio

There is just something about crazy clowns that works.

#12 Posted by entropy_aegis (20994 posts) - - Show Bio

Jack Nicholson, Heath Ledger, Mark Hamill, Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Grant Morrison. Between them I'm sure we've got 95% of the reasons covered.

#13 Edited by SocaJunkie (9621 posts) - - Show Bio

Dunno, I never found the Joker compelling or interesting.

Avatar image for detectivesomerset__
#14 Posted by DetectiveSomerset__ (1529 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he’s a great villain in all medias plus

TDK Joker the reason he will be relevant and remembered forever

#15 Posted by DetectiveSomerset__ (1529 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmnb2wavy: “a dude dressed up as a clown”

Yea bias much?

#16 Posted by Boby501 (489 posts) - - Show Bio

By being he’s poler opposite.

#17 Posted by Dmnb2wavy (652 posts) - - Show Bio

@detectivesomerset__: what? I did say he was one of my favorite villains and I said no disrespect before that

#18 Posted by DetectiveSomerset__ (1529 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmnb2wavy: not fair to say a dude dressed up as a clown. It’s world of comics dude

#19 Edited by Dmnb2wavy (652 posts) - - Show Bio

@detectivesomerset__: okay and? Im just saying the joker seems like a villain that would of been on the same lvl as someone like stilt man or something.

#20 Posted by DetectiveSomerset__ (1529 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmnb2wavy: Joker come first. And he’s simply unforgettable and unique , there are no joker copycats or same charachters , that’s one of the reason he is great.

I argument and told you why vader is great, both are no way overrated since all their stuff is great. Joker is an idea , a complex charachter and has dynamic stories. If you want the calm and serious villain with planning read lex luthor or Alexander pierce , if not read joker which would never be an ally to Alexander pierce hope you understand what I meant. “If I had a past , I prefer them to have multiple pasts”

Joe Kerr , Arthur fleck , John Doe..

#21 Posted by Michaelbn (3084 posts) - - Show Bio

mARKHAMill.

#22 Posted by Dmnb2wavy (652 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmnb2wavy: Joker come first. And he’s simply unforgettable and unique , there are no joker copycats or same charachters , that’s one of the reason he is great.

should of said that the first time honestly

I argument and told you why vader is great,

No you didn’t and if you did i never saw it.

both are no way overrated since all their stuff is great

When did I say the joker was overrated? But I still think vader is actually.

. Joker is an idea , a complex charachter and has dynamic stories. If you want the calm and serious villain with planning read lex luthor or Alexander pierce

When did I say I wanted this?

, if not read joker which would never be an ally to Alexander pierce hope you understand what I meant. “If I had a past , I prefer them to have multiple pasts”

Joe Kerr , Arthur fleck , John Doe..

i literally said joker is one of my favorites

#23 Posted by DetectiveSomerset__ (1529 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmnb2wavy: well I argued why he’s good and why vader is good

Another case can be made for thanos being overrated. Seriously he wasn’t even in top comic book villains list.. are we really saying him as one of the best? DrDoom or Magneto blows him away

#24 Posted by Dmnb2wavy (652 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmnb2wavy: well I argued why he’s good and why vader is good

Another case can be made for thanos being overrated. Seriously he wasn’t even in top comic book villains list.. are we really saying him as one of the best? DrDoom or Magneto blows him away

Are you agent of choas?

Avatar image for christianrapper
#25 Posted by christianrapper (6595 posts) - - Show Bio

He is iconic because he is different every time that he appears. Sometimes he’s just sadistic. Other times he is a humorous mischief maker. He is very versatile. Also, being funny doesn’t hurt either.